Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@robauxgets, R'Mize will be open, Flambeau and Alpine Tavern are also opening at the moment. Depending how early in November you're here it may be during the French holidays in which case a couple of other places sometimes open up. Morzine has more open, had some great pizza from l'etale last night.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowing in Avoriaz! 30cm forecast over the next 24 hours (before it all warms up and melts!) snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks to have dropped some snow on Mont de Grange down to around 1600m on the N side.

Raining again and 6C outside so the chance of more up top.

@Handy Turnip, is probably right about the warm up and melt.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Way too early to start getting excited
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, never too early....some are keen to get touring practice in, like last November, pretty special wandering thru an empty snowy resort.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well... it's now coming down in big fat flakes at 1300m in Chatel and the black roof on my car has turned white. It's the sort of rate of fall that would get me properly excited if I was here on a ski trip rather than furniture transport and DIY duty but I sort of agree with @under a new name.

This is however the snow report section and I'm here and reporting on it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DJL, some will be unexcited and curse the damned snow....not ideal for moving furniture, painting railings, or any kind of outdoor work. But we have 300+ days a year for that. Gonna trek up to 1800m tomorrow, so me and the dog remain unapologetically excited Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, haha!

I will confess my little ski heart was gladdened by the dusting on the pre alps this afternoon... wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @MeMyselfandI, ! Just checking SH as per usual on a Sunday evening Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It was still snowing at 1250m when I left home this morning.
Although it is due to get warm again this week, so nothing about which to get excited.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some lovely white stuff coming down right now! snowHead snowHead

https://www.facebook.com/avoriazholidays/videos/1635371429835710/

(Video from Avoriaz Holidays on Facebook)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It looks beautiful doesn't it!

I think any snow is worth getting excited about, whether it has staying power or not. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nothing to see here, move along, don't you realize the lifts are not open and it's going to melt soon. Think of all the poor locals, struggling to get up slippery hills. Speaking of which, am heading out the door now to see how incredibly boring it all looks higher up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@langball, you sound like a barrel of laughs 😁
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No laughing matter when the dog photobombs the beer shot. Models were fairly accurate re. 10-15cm between 1500-1800m. Great hiking conditions with the sun out, and plenty of grip underneath.
Edited to add photos.

In order, Drop in zone, new Ranfoilly lift, Chairs, Top of Nauchet, Col de Joux Plane (route d354), snow at 1800m, empty restuarant, long tongue beast

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 24-10-17 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@langball, nice photo, that's a fair bit of the white stuff!
At least the dog enjoyed it 😁
snow conditions
That's one hell of a tongue the pooch has there Cool
snow report
Great photo, I would rather be there than sitting in an office in Portsmouth. Only another 10 weeks to go (not that I'm counting or anything) v. jealous.
snow report
No surprise the above snowiness melted within 24hours, bring back the cows....
Heard a chat on the radio about Chatel investing in 'usine niege' technology used in Italy. If successful the plan is to roll out to rest of PdS over time.
Chatel is the first resort in France to try this technology which can produce 'close to 4 m³ / hour, about 100 meters of piste in a day and a half'.

http://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2017/10/07/chatel-une-usine-a-neige-pour-les-pistes
https://www.technoalpin.com/en/snow-making/snowfactory.html
snow report
This is also being trialled in Scotland. It should guarantee the opening of a begginer run at least.
latest report
It's all looking very white on the Avoriaz webcams this morning! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Rain down in the Morzine Valley but hopefully it'll turn to snow if the forecasts are to be believed.

(Disclaimer.... Yes i know it'll probably melt by the time the season starts but it's great to see the seasons changing)
snow conditions
Looks to be pretty cold over the coming weeks, so who knows, some of it might hang around! 70 days until our trip, can't wait to get back in Avoriaz.
ski holidays
latest report
There was about 10 cm @ 1250m at 6:30 AM today.
Below 800m there was none.
snow conditions
Some great photos on Facebook, looks very white!
ski holidays
jdhansom wrote:
Essentially are 6 day lift passes identifiable to the person who buys them or is this ever actually checked?

never been checked
snow report
Never checked. There's no photos on them anyway
snow report
They were using face recognition ipads last year, so, yes, they were checking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
But there's no photos on them and ill never given them my photo as I bought and ordered my card online 3 years ago. So how will face recognition work?
snow report
@Chamcham, Thats for the season ones- I have had to take my goggles off once in 4 years.
snow conditions
Resorts have automatic cameras in the main lifts which take a photo when the pass is first used at the turnstiles which is then used for checking by the attendants thoughout the week. Not sure of this tech is in place in PDS.
ski holidays
At PLJ you have to go through the right hand turnstile the first time you use your pass.
None of the other gates will open on the first use - after that its fine.
I suspect this is for the reason given by @Ozboy,
snow report
Some pics from yesterday....La Croix, bowl, Piste 64, more ranfoilly chairs

Reckon similar amount of snow fell as a few weeks ago, about 15cm at 1500, compressing into 10cm or so in the pictures. The easterly side of Chavannes (Piste 64) had great quality snow, cold and squeaky, where as Chavannes itself was windblown and thinning out. Snowed lightly this morning too. One more good 20cm and it'll be worth bringing something to slide on.

Almost forgot, noticed a new bus stop at the Chavannes mid station, behind the Yeti (which is undergoing a big renovation). Great if they extend the route C bus all the way up to 1500m.
ski holidays
20cm on the ground at 1250m this AM, goes down to about 900m.
snow report
I am claiming first lines of the season, on both sides of the valley....yesterday shoed up to La Croix and did a few laps between 1500 and 1700. Then today, tried the lower section as the canons were running all night.
Enjoyed the conditions so much I tackled Mont Chery in the afternoon. Drove up to 1400, and shoe-boarded the middle part, say 1400-1700.
Met a couple of local ski tourers on Mont Chery who overtook me in t-shirts, while I was dressed like Robo cop. They carried on to the top (1830), but when I met them again on the descent they said it was too wind blown and crusty higher up. Best snow is below the tree line.

ski holidays
Seems the cannons are running on the Pleney this morning......

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1952422908340729&id=1640970989485924
latest report
I also saw they were running them at the bottom of the Pleney, does anyone know if they were running them higher up? Interested to know if they are trying to build a base or just making a pile of snow to use in the ESF snow garden, should we have another lean December.
snow report
It was reported yesterday they are running the snow canons all over the mountain in Chatel. I assume just to get ahead of the base building curve.
latest report
@Ozboy, Snow cannons going at La Chapelle D'Abondance Cret Beni this morning.
snow report
So... are things looking more promising than last year? I had a glance through last years thread and it wasn't easy reading.

I know it's too early to tell but are people/you guys generally more excited about this December in Morzine/Avoriaz based on current snow level, temperature, weather forecasts etc?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy