Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Snowed overnight in Morzine. About 10-20cm. Looks v pwetty. Forecast is for v strong winds so let's see what the day holds
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's windy up at 1250m with fresh snow - it should be nice once the wind calms down a bit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pleney and les gets pretty much fully open. Avoriaz pretty much fully closed according to pds live piste map
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have just skied the Vorosses and Melezes in Les Gets this morning, both lovely. The Turche poma stopped after a while, too much wind.

Poma running again now.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 17-01-18 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like everything in Chatel is closed. Must be miserable out there!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Ozboy, Not at all. Everything blown out this morning, but this afternoon Cret Beni opened, and had a lot of fun on powder covered pistes. snowHead Skiing is what you make of it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
driving over from GVA tuesday pm for a couple of days , got a merc front wheel drive with winter snow tyres , staying in morzine , will i need to hire snow chains as well , or is the drive to town ok , won't be going up to avoriaz in the car , cheers in advance
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great day in Morzine Les gets today, especially in mont de chery. 1 ft of powder on piste. Snow all day and no rain. If wind drops tomorrow as forecast then avoriaz looks good.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dabber, Depends on the time of day, but FWIW I do that in reverse every morning, and back every evening.
The roads are ploughed around 6AM, ( and repeated if the snow is bonkers) and the volume of traffic normally keeps them clear.
I go down through the gorges de Jotty and through Thonon and round the lake to GVA.
Been doing it years never any issues until I get up high to over 1200m, but along the valley in the middle of the day ought to be drama free.
One you get to the top of the gorge, its pretty much a flat road for 12km to Morzine. ( Chains or socks are a legal requirement, but I doubt you'll need them ).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@WindOfChange, thanks for that , leaving GVA at 14.30 tuesday , and returning 17.30 thursday so timing should be ok , now just fingers crossed the rain doesnt fall to high up and should be in for a good couple of days skiing snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dobby wrote:
Great day in Morzine Les gets today, especially in mont de chery. 1 ft of powder on piste. Snow all day and no rain. If wind drops tomorrow as forecast then avoriaz looks good.

Is the wind forecast to drop tomorrow? Meteosuisse says strong to storm force.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@snoozeboy, just checked meteo france and you're right. Lighter winds till later morning and then getting far stronger again.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
An afternoon of lapping the lindarets trees with lovely soft freshies on every run, even in the usual spots that would normally get tracked out in minutes

That doesn’t happen much. As for up and coming weather, it appears to be a case of hope for the best freezing level wise
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
guys please keep the reports coming - I arrive on Sunday so will keep reading with interest snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Loving the reports too. Also the videos and pics on Instagram helps to give a live view!

We're arriving on Saturday. Just 2 more days at work
latest report
hi
we arrive for a snaeaky 4 dayer on friday , whoop whoop !

The forecast is for 3 snow days and a rainy monday(strong winds up high so avoriaz may be shut ?)I know the conventional wisdom would be to stay in the tree line but I wondered if any locals could provide me with names of runs which stay in the tree line- or any alternate suggestions? We will bring books,cards and dominoes just in case Laughing

thanks in advance

martin
snow report
Fresh overnight snow, and still snowing at 6:30 AM down to 800m.
Winds much lighter today.
ski holidays
Still snowing in Les Gets. Looks as if all lifts planned to be open. May close if it gets windier.
ski holidays
As for tree-lined, here's some to be getting on with:

La Foileuse
Tannes
Prolays
Combe a Florets
Crot
Zorre
Tetras
Proclous
Serresaix
La Forgne
Grand Paradis
Chermeu
La Tovassiere
Pre la Vieile
Gelinotte
Lynx
Pre La Joux
Plus most of the Plenney and Les Gets - the names of these pistes elude me as I avoid this sector.
Also Cret Beni and Abondance, but I can't remember the piste names there either Smile
snow conditions
@going downhill fast, ummm, piste maps have trees on them?

Anything below Avoriaz.

Most of Morzine-Les Gets
snow conditions
Looks to be bucketing down with white stuff tonight!

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1679555935439430&id=391678780893825

Replaced with heavy rain on Monday though?

(Arriving tomorrow evening snowHead snowHead )
ski holidays
Snowed about 20 cm at 1250m overnight - sunny now.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, excellent
ski holidays
absolutely chucking it down (with snow) in morzine at the moment - a man just skied down the road. The snow line was forecast to be higher than this so not sure how long it will last before it starts to rain, but should be great on the mountain tomorrow
latest report
Snowline is forecast to come down again overnight. So tomorrow morning might be ok. Then a rainy Sunday evening, Monday morning before it clears mid Tuesday.

Nice afternoon tree skiing on the quiet side of chatel this afternoon.
snow report
I have just read on FB that the Super Morzine bubble is not running, power gone down, there are skiers there waiting for a navette but some skiers have started to ski down the road.
Tipping down in Les Gets there were people skiing all over the roads when we drove in this afternoon. The car was covered very quickly. Usual road had people stopping to put on chains, a bit late.
Very busy around the Rosta bowl this morning. Saturdays used to be quieter as transfer day but I think there are a lot of short stay trips nowadays.
latest report
PLEASE DON'T SKI IN THE ROAD

Seriously, just don't

Pamski, we have loads of people who come up from Geneva and the valley now, helped by Saturday being ski club day and the weekly lesson for the valley kids.
ski holidays
May we ask... it’s a tad wet in Morzine.. so would it make sense skiing Les Get today if it’s loking good with fresh snow and head higher to Avoriaz tomorrow? So looking forward to it and top tips very welcome !
Or head higher to Avoriaz today to get above the cloud !!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the cloud goes all the way up today.

The snow level is supposed to decrease during the day, before rising again this evening. to avoid getting a soaking I'd recommend a slow start and to wait until it starts snowing in the trees, then to ski fairly low for visibility.

Although it'll be snowing in avoriaz, there'll be zero viz where there's no trees.
ski holidays
The report from the dog walking patrol, just back, in Les Gets at around 1240 is that yes, it is snowing, but it is wet snow. Poor viz and no sign of anything over towards Mt Chery, thick cloud, but in the other direction I have just spotted someone on the Turche poma. That direction is looking over at trees which are the answer today.
snow conditions
Not bothered going out today. Day 6 of snow and poor vis, and tired legs. It’s zero vis in Avoriaz. Day for the pool I think!
snow conditions
So much snow and beautiful on Mt Chery. Went up at 09h30 and only the teleski were open but that got us first tracks down Le Cret (where I did the most spectacular faceplant EVER). Snow a bit heavier lower down but the first two meadows were magic. Still snowing.
snow report
I'm heading to PdS for the first time on 27th. Mainly interested in off-piste, which looks like it will be mega, but for the usual macho reasons I'm keen to ski the Swiss Wall. The live map has shown it as closed for the past couple of weeks, even when the weather has been fine. Can anyone update me as to why, and whether it is likely to re-open before our last ski day on 2nd Feb?
snow report
A big thanks for that folks. We enjoyed around Les Gets area then saw the other tip and had a couple nice runs on Mt Chéry. A good day was had Happy
latest report
@tccambs, as someone who only spectates the Wall from the chairlift I am not the best person to answer your question but I imagine it is avalanche risk and high winds. The Chavanettes area has not been open much.

Hopefully all might change for your trip.

Years ago we arrived by the top of the Wall just as two snowboards started to take off in strong winds. My husband managed to grab hold of one but the other eluded him. We went into the cafe and he asked round for the owner, who was very grateful. His mate then asked what about mine and was sadly told it had taken off on its own.
snow report
Thanks @Pamski, but it seemed to be closed a couple of weeks ago when everything else was open, conditions were fair, avalanche warning 2/5 and there was no wind. Anyway, there's nothing we can do about it, I was just wondering if there was a specific reason. Fingers crossed!
snow conditions
@MeMyselfandI, I loved the Mt. Chery area earlier in the week. No one there and great snow.
snow conditions
People had to be rescued from the Pointe lift on Mt Chery today apparently, photo on FB.
ski holidays
coming out on tuesday for a quickie break , skiing wed/thurs and was hoping for some nice off piste sking , but looks like the rain tonight and monday will maybe put pay to that , what do the folk on the ground reckon , given the predicted +temps on my dates , should i be planning on an piste oriented couple of days or still fetch the fatties out with me Puzzled
latest report
Avalanche risk was 4 today, so almost all of Avoriaz was shut down, The wall was open last weekend though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy