Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Hitting Morzine on Sunday, what are current conditions like Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Also arriving Morzine on Sunday, weather forecast is indicating some very cold weather. Looks like the temperature starts to fall through the floor on Sunday night with -14C predicted for Monday morning at 1500m. The town itself is predicted to be -12C. At least the snow will be crisp! Think I will pack an extra mid layer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Louis wrote:

To be honest, not all that great this week. Hardpack lower down, poor viz higher up. No fresh snow despite persistent cloud that’s not up for shifting. Along with the continuing half term crowds I haven’t bothered.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bob Morrison, hmmm, I think the snow will be.....solid.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nelbert75 wrote:
Louis wrote:

To be honest, not all that great this week. Hardpack lower down, poor viz higher up. No fresh snow despite persistent cloud that’s not up for shifting. Along with the continuing half term crowds I haven’t bothered.

Wished I never asked, but still loads better than work Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Louis, don't be too disheartened. I've found the snow to be generally very good, but I've spent most the time in the Swiss/Avoriaz sectors, with just a single (very good) day in Morzine and Les Gets. Only found my first brownish patch today low down in Morgins, and a few icy runs low into Chatel Linga.

The cloud has been a problem, but Avoriaz has escaped it, even when the Swiss side has been murky. Apparently something to do with the Bise wind and the shape of the respective valleys. Not that there is any wind here, but Lake Geneva has been quite windy apparently.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Mrs is in Morzine. Her group has been going on an annual trip and the conditions are overall the best they have seen in last 6 years.They had rain last week with the result which froze on the piste so a lot of the Morzine pistes are icy. The group is staying on the Avoriaz side into Swiss and Chatel and having a ball. Snow is fantastic for Morzine. Its rarely there are no green patches under the Pleny lift. Have a ball
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a PS when I was in Chatel last week the fog was brutal. It is common for the area. I went head over heels off the side of the Abricotine slope at due to think fog followed at 30 second intervals by other lemming like skiers who had similarly misjudged the side of the piste.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fog, hard pistes and lots of people don’t make a great mix. However the clouds cleared today and it was a very pleasant afternoon. If you can see where to go it makes a big difference. Lots of nice snow around. It’s hard underneath though, and there will be ice on steeper pitches until it snows again. Let’s hope that is sooner rather than later.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I dispute the lots of people thing - it’s one of the quietest peak weeks I’ve seen in a long while, and I was out skiing. Snow is absolutely fine too / except detour du nants which is a mess with fake snow overnight ice due to rain last week but only for 50m or so
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitters, Bet the 'brownish patch' was at the bottom of the Corbeau blue piste, it is always the first to lose it's snow cover. I'm heading to the airport this evening ready for first flight out early tomorrow and should be on the white stuff by 13:00 hrs. Last couple of years have had to play 'hunt the snow' when trying to complete the 'circuit' through Morgins so this year I am looking forward to enjoying some amazing conditions. Might even be able to bring the skis home without any stone scratches in the base!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep been quiet past couple of weeks.
looks busy in town tonight though?
going to be very cold this week so bring extra layers!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yep- main arrivals day of the weekend - plenty of cars and people about not more than last weekend @hawkwind, Today was bloody marvelous (yes saturdays are quiet but the car parks were full early doors and the pistes were still lovely and Avoriaz was in the sun).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bob Morrison, yep, spot on, the Corbeau. It was only a very small part, so no big deal.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went from La Panthiaz to Linga and Back Saturday afternoon.
Took in the mini park just going into Torgon, the Super Chatel Park, the Boarder X in SC, and the Boarder X in La Panthiaz on the way back.
The snow was in excellent condition, apart from the Bulldog which was a bit hard packed.
The only queue was a small one at Coqs and all took place in glorious blue skies above the clouds.
The only minor disappointment was realising that the old lift to the top of Torgon has been decommissioned, and it can only be accessed from the front side now.
snow report
Just read on the Remontees Mecaniques forum about some lift development plans in Chatel.

End of summer 2018:
i) Pierre Longue detachable 4 seater will be replaced with a new 6 seater. Same position but bottom station will be lower to favilitate access from car park. Work to be done after MTB season.
ii). The old Morclan fixed 3 seater(?) will be replaced by the old Pierre Longue chair that is being removed (perhaps following summer)

They will also do the same upgrades in the future to Cornebois which will the replace the Conche fixed chair.

Quite an insightful forum giving what seems like ‘insider’ perspectives from ski lift anoraks. It’s in French.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5883&hl=%20%20%20tsd6%20%20%E9troit%20%20des%20%20cases&st=1220
snow report
I'm heading to Avoriaz with family (4 of us) for 1st ever skiing holiday on 24th March. Super excited!

Lift passes - is there any way to get a larger discount than from https://www.skipass-avoriaz.com/ ?

Also, I see on the Avoriaz website (http://www.avoriaz.com/en/all-about-skiing/lifts-passes/les-forfaits) that there is a "family pass" offering 10% discount, but when I try to book it (starting 25th March - we get in late on 24th) it's not offering me that discount. If I move the date back a week I do get a 10% discount? Anyone know what's going on there? Does the family discount stop towards end March for some reason? (edit - spoke to them via webcchat and it's an error on their site - so i should be able to buy the family pass in a few days).

Finally Very Happy ... as beginners/novices (who are getting private lessons at 11 am every day!)... would we be better getting 2 day ski pass for just Avoriaz, and then once we've done that move on to a 4 day pass for PDS? Been told it's 49 euros for the beginner pass for 2 days ... but not sure it'll work out cheaper to do that and then 4 days PDS, since we won't get the family discount for the 4 days (that's 6 days only). Anyone else come up with creative ways of keep the lift pass cost as low as possible? Smile
ski holidays
@zedzed_uk, tbh I'm not sure as beginners, and if you are trying save a few euros, you will need a PDS pass. Plenty of skiing in Avoriaz though. You can always buy an extension if you fancy stretching your legs on the final day.
ski holidays
Today about 30cm has fallen at 1800m. It’s really very nice indeed off piste.
latest report
@zzz, 😊😊
snow report
Anyone who missed Saturday because of the travel difficulties, the snow was nice, but the visibility was very poor.
Sunday on the other hand, was the best day of the season so far - Cloudless skies, 20 cm of pow, much of Happy Valley untracked until about midday, even into the afternoon there were still some fresh lines to take to the right of Chaux Fleurie, under Rochassons and also on the Satellite.
snow conditions
@zzz, la la la
snow report
@WindOfChange, look a bit like this or did you get more?

http://youtube.com/v/yexM21OKxpA

under a new name, how’s Scottish skiing these days? 🤣
snow conditions
@BobinCH, wink other than thatnI believe they may be having a fine season, I am thankfully in Champoluc.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Similar to that but I only had 1 snowboard strapped to my feet not 2.
I had a helmet and back protector & I was not carrying extendable rectal probes. Very Happy
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
under a new name, how’s Scottish skiing these days? 🤣

Scotlands not bad this year!

latest report
Prepared to accept @WindOfChange's claim of Sunday being day of the season conditionswise - I was on blue runs with mini-shep Sad . However, yesterday was my personal d.o.t.s., skied shin/knee-deep scarcely tracked powder all day under a cloudless sky!

Avoriaz carpark to Linderets, all over Happy Valley, three rotations of Hidden Valley, Linga to the Pas Montagne off-piste skier's right (what do you call that @WindOfChange?), Chaux-Fleurie skier's left, topped-off with a sublime Vallee-de-la-Manche and well earned beer at the Crapahutte. Jeez this place rocks when the conditions are right! Very Happy snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
@shep, I was looking our my window yesterday whilst at work just thinking about lucky b****ds like you with the fresh snow and the blue skies. Hoping it will hold out till tomorrow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
WindOfChange - Our flight out on Friday got cancelled, so we missed the w/e. I'm now stuck in the UK looking after the kids, whilst my wife is back out there. So I'm not feeling very sympathetic.
Shep - Glad the Vallee de la Manche is still good, hoping it's going to last until Easter as I can ski it all the way to my back door.
snow report
@doddsie Sorry to hear about the flights - my wife's flight were also cancelled, but they were going other way ( weekend in blighty) so she was stuck out here with the pow.

Avoriaz announced today that the base is now 4m, so barring catastrophe you'll be sorted for easter.
snow conditions
Following this thread with interest. Heading to morzine on 24 March... sounds like with a 4m base in Avoriaz we’ll be able to find some snow at least.

What’s the super morzine link like at the moment? Will it survive for a few more weeks or will we be on the bus to get up to Avoriaz??
ski holidays
So much snow in Avz that Aquariaz has been shut down due to concerns about the snow-load on the roof. Strange how it was fine until the day after french half-term finished..... wink

@doddsie, we could have been neighbours, the summer of '93 I spent property searching (after 8 winters in Avz), I camped in Chez Layanne's back garden and expanded my search from there snowHead . Unfortunately there was nothing in VdlM, I won't get to ski home until they link Chery Nord to Roc d'Enfer Confused (and hell freezes over...)

@WindOfChange, if anyone can find pow tomorrow it's you, but showers to 2200 doesn't sound good. But you did have last sunday Blush
snow report
shep wrote:
So much snow in Avz that Aquariaz has been shut down due to concerns about the snow-load on the roof. Strange how it was fine until the day after french half-term finished..... wink

Oh no! And probably not open for the rest of the season. Frustrating as the kids would have loved it, and it was one of reasons we picked Avoriaz.
snow report
I suspect you might be right @Handy Turnip, the tourist office certainly being very cagey.The problem is the big dumps were almost always follow by rain, so waterlogged then frozen, there's a good 2-3m of effectively ice up there so not possible to shovel or blow it off. Given a huge thaw and Easter holidays avarice there may be a will and a way to do something about it, but I'd be surprised. Fortunately for the kids, easter skiing should be fantastic!
latest report
Shep - I can’t see that link ever happening either and we we weren’t around back then but you would have been directly next door to us.
snow report
@shep, you’re right the skiing will be fantastic - and I’d rather have lots of snow and no Aquariaz than vice versa.

It’s the kids first time though so had planned on using Aquariaz as my chief bribe (they love swimming) to persevere with ski school if they struggled with it in the first few days.
snow conditions
Morzine pool will be open, but not quite the same. Also the new(ish) luxury appt block Amara at the entrance to the station has a pool, but I don't know if it's open to non-residents. Ask the t.o.
latest report
@SWISSWALL, the link is fine, I've def seen it worse at this time of year. Even the bottom part of Zore wasn't too bad two days ago.
snow report
PdS, the ski area that keeps on giving snowHead ! Was taken "beyond the hidden valley" today, still new terrain after 33 seasons - awesome! Cool
latest report
@shep, fantastic, what a joy on a day like today too!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy