Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@shep, who led you astray?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@shep,
That sounds awesome.
I am dead jealous again, as I am working looking out at white snow and blue skies.
Can you describe where it was using the names on here:

Or better still go on here and take another screen shot?

https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/valais/torgon/pistemap.html

I've been coming here since 1986, lived here since 2005, and still like finding new spots and routes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@WindOfChange, Thank you for sharing the link to a great map.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pamski, Yes, two beautiful powder days in a week. Feeling very lucky! snowHead Hope you had a good one too Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, Paddy knew it, was with him and Darren (The Great Escape).

@WindOfChange, not really visible on there, and I don't know how to post pictures, but the combe below the "1850m" text where it says Pointe du Midi 1850m on the map you linked too. Brill today but would be sketchy getting out in a less snowy season.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers @shep, I'll ask Darren next time I run into him in Le Biot.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone been skiing in SJD the last couple of days? How's it holding up?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Two weeks till I go to Avoriaz - conditions look good, forecast for the next week promising. Just need to drag myself away from looking at weather reports every two minutes!

Just realised I haven’t had my lift passes through yet - I know officially they can send them a minimum of 6 days before the trip, but I’m sure normally I get them much earlier than this? (or do I just think this every year!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoriaz the last week has been fantastic. Was beginning to melt and slush up quite quickly below the lindarets plateau yesterday. Never seen a bowl tracked out as quickly as fornets was on Wednesday morning, it was epic.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing on Mt Chery this morning. In and out of the clouds and the north side had better light. Popped into the Grande Ourse for a warming coffee and heard they are closing two weeks today, which must be 1st April. Not to say that Mt Chery itself will be closing then. Gary Venning said that the Planey chairlift was running all night. That seemed to mystify the pisteurs who had been in earlier.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hello, in Chatel next week and looking to ski over to meet friends in Les Crozets. Can anyone confirm the route for me? Skied PdS loads but I’m such a bag of nerves that I rarely remember where we’ve been. So starting at Plane Dranse then? Many thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lesdesis wrote:
Hello, in Chatel next week and looking to ski over to meet friends in Les Crozets. Can anyone confirm the route for me?

Don’t mean to be negative about a first post, but it’s pretty straight forward from a piste map. This is a weather thread after all... [plaine dranse > Les linderets > mossette > Les crosets - probably other options]
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the contrary, I can see why lesdesis wanted reassurance. I thought the piste maps available for Avoriaz were shocking compared to those I'm used to, very difficult to work out what was up and what led where until I got there.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to derail a weather thread. Csb123 hit the nail on the head I was just looking for reassurance and perhaps a friendly ‘don’t attempt it if ......’ type advice but I consider myself told. Last post from me!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry to derail a weather thread. Csb123 hit the nail on the head I was just looking for reassurance and perhaps a friendly ‘don’t attempt it if ......’ type advice but I consider myself told. Last post from me!
ski holidays
@Csb123, @Lesdesis, if you can pick up a 'local' piste map in each sector of the PdS.
It makes reading the maps/navigation much easier.
On one side of the piste map it will have the whole PdS plan on it (Agree this side is hard to read as it's such a huge area/map that it is difficult to see where piste meet/which way is up etc)
On the reverse side the maps(s) will have the specific sector detail plan.

so.......
Avoriaz
Chatel
Morzine/Les Gets
Swiss side

all have 'local' sectors detail(s) on the reverse of their piste map which makes navigation so much easier.
latest report
Dashed wrote:
Lesdesis wrote:
Hello, in Chatel next week and looking to ski over to meet friends in Les Crozets. Can anyone confirm the route for me?

Don’t mean to be negative about a first post, but it’s pretty straight forward from a piste map. This is a weather thread after all... [plaine dranse > Les linderets > mossette > Les crosets - probably other options]

Very welcoming that rolling eyes

Since when does it being a weather thread stop anyone asking the odd other question?
ski holidays
@Lesdesis, welcome to Snowheads snowHead No need to leave. It's actually a very friendly and helpful forum.

Yes it's a straightforward ski over for reasonable intermediates.
latest report
@Lesdesis, You can also go the other way:
Super Chatel -> Morgins -> Champoussin -> Les Crossets

Super Chatel Gondola, Chermillon drag lift, Chalet Neuf double drag, ski down the Corbeau ( Seize the day, as it it often closed ), take the Foileuse chair, stop for coffee / beer at the top and admire the Dents du Midi, then take the Bochasses chair, then Aiguille des Champeys chair, the newish Pt de l'AU chair, then cruise into Les Crossets. (Reds and Blues).

Come back the other way, and you've done the circuit.
Mosettes chair, abricotine run, Chaux Fleurie chair, then down towards Plaine Dranse, Chaux des Roses chair, Les Combes chair, Gabelou Chair, PdS chair, then down into Chatel.
ski holidays
@247snowman wrote:
@Csb123, @Lesdesis, if you can pick up a 'local' piste map in each sector of the PdS.
It makes reading the maps/navigation much easier.
On one side of the piste map it will have the whole PdS plan on it (Agree this side is hard to read as it's such a huge area/map that it is difficult to see where piste meet/which way is up etc)
On the reverse side the maps(s) will have the specific sector detail plan.

so.......
Avoriaz
Chatel
Morzine/Les Gets
Swiss side

all have 'local' sectors detail(s) on the reverse of their piste map which makes navigation so much easier.

Local maps are much easier to follow, but one thing that's quite handy in the PDS map is the lift loop that links all the resorts.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPhN_oWe_nE4aocvhggrDtc_CgWXImuTqVcfZV-

^ no idea how to get the [IMG] tags to work, but if you cut and paste that link into a browser, its will show the direct lift loop.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:
Dashed wrote:
Lesdesis wrote:

Very welcoming that rolling eyes

Since when does it being a weather thread stop anyone asking the odd other question?

+1

I am quite new at posting eegurely on SH and I’ve found everyone on this PDS thread very informative and welcoming. The earlier response is an exception - don’t be put off. It’s easy to overlook this thread as weather specific as it seems to be the go-to thread for anything PDS related (chains, winter tyres, Avoriaz horse stables excluded Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
And in recent years we have also had a “not the weather” thread for this and that. But I didn’t start one this year 😔
Generally find people on here helpful on all sorts of local subjects, mine generally being our coffee stops.
snow report
And in the spirit of non-weather related posts... any news on Aquariaz? Any sign of them trying to get it reopened before Easter?
snow report
Still closed yesterday, no sign of any action, and of course there's been more snow since it was closed.

I did think about bringing the horse stables chat over to here, but it really is rather too geeky Embarassed

(although it's definately not moved.... wink)
snow conditions
btw, I spent a half day lapping the "Lil' Stash" with mini-shep(6) on Sunday, what a great addition to the resort for little ones! Of course I didn't love every second of it - honest!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I can understand specific questions about runs not to miss or those to avoid, pinch points for lift queues or best places to stop for lunch (or even the best coffee on Chery Nord Very Happy ), but I genuinely don't understand the point of the post / question about Chatel to Les Croset - I'm not sure what you can learn from a forum that the piste map won't tell you. And it's a lot easier to carry a piste map than a print out of this thread wink
ski holidays
shep wrote:
Still closed yesterday, no sign of any action, and of course there's been more snow since it was closed.

Cheers, grasping at straws but I’m still kinda hoping that they might find a way of opening it for Easter (a bit like how they managed to conveniently keep it open for half term before deciding to close it)
latest report
@Handy Turnip, I understand, I think there's inertia at play, over the hols the staff continued to turn up to stuff the till with money, now they've been laid off/re-deployed I suspect that's how things will stay. Do check whether you can use the pool in Amara though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dashed wrote:
I can understand specific questions about runs not to miss or those to avoid, pinch points for lift queues or best places to stop for lunch (or even the best coffee on Chery Nord Very Happy ), but I genuinely don't understand the point of the post / question about Chatel to Les Croset - I'm not sure what you can learn from a forum that the piste map won't tell you. And it's a lot easier to carry a piste map than a print out of this thread wink

I'd suggest you can learn a lot more from a forum than a piste map. Haven't we all taken a run which was marked one colour then been shocked or pleasantly surprised?

For example, off the top of my head, in Chatel at the top of the Cornebois lift when you turn right you have a choice of a blue run or a red run. They both pretty much go the same place and then split off. The red run is a flattish path whilst the blue run is pretty damned steep. In that particular place the runs are the opposite of what they are. The reason being is that further on down the run each one becomes more 'true' to colour. But at this point that blue run is challenging for new/nervous skiers/young kids. And from the piste map you have no way of knowing.

The new poster suggested s/he was a nervous skier and was looking for reassurance and advice based on local knowledge.
snow report
@Dashed, agreed.
@sarah, they just need to follow the map. If it’s red it’s going to be more difficult at some point.
snow conditions
@zzz, in the example I gave, my point was that of two runs going from and to the same place, the red run is far easier than the blue run. If someone just followed the map, they would find themselves on harder runs than they intended to. This is the kind of local knowledge you can get from a forum and is beneficial to a nervous skier.
ski holidays
sarah wrote:

I'd suggest you can learn a lot more from a forum than a piste map. Haven't we all taken a run which was marked one colour then been shocked or pleasantly surprised?

That was exactly my point - but the poster didn't ask for local knowledge to avoid easy / difficult / icy / closed sections, they just asked how to get from A to B. If they'd said "I'm a beginner with one week's experience, is it feasible for me to get from Chatel to Les Croset, and any particularly nasty surprises I should look out for?" then we've got something to work with. "Skied the area loads, how do I get from A to B?" = look at the piste map!
ski holidays
They wrote this:

Quote:
Hello, in Chatel next week and looking to ski over to meet friends in Les Crozets. Can anyone confirm the route for me? Skied PdS loads but I’m such a bag of nerves that I rarely remember where we’ve been. So starting at Plane Dranse then? Many thanks in advance!

I think we'll have to disagree on this. My point really was that you did not extend the usual Snowheads welcome to a brand new poster.
ski holidays
@shep, no access to the Amara pool unfortunately Sad Might take them to the Morzine pool, if needed as a back up plan (thankfully they are unaware of any pool so aren’t expecting it anyway!)
latest report
If you have a car: http://www.aquaparc.ch/en/aquaparc - although its pretty expensive.
Or https://www.lacitedeleau.com/espace-aquatique/tarifs.htm - much more reasonable.

But if you have sense of adventure, why not ski from Avoriaz to Champery, then take the cog railway to the Thermes:
http://www.tpc.ch/site/images/tpc/Horaires_2018/PDF/Horaire_poche_2017-2018_Ligne_126_AOMC.pdf (trains times)
https://www.thermes-parc.com/en/

I have done all 3, but never in one day ( but I am sure it can be done ).

Here's your Taxi home for when you get stuck Smile
http://www.taxivaldi.ch/fr
ski holidays
Thanks @WindOfChange, much appreciated.

No car unfortunately and it’s the kids first time skiing so doubt they’ll make it to Champery.

However, they are 6 and 9 and will be in a resort covered in snow for the first time - should be plenty to keep the amused (while they get to grip with this skiing lark!).
snow report
What a difference a year makes.
Stayed at Inferno last year, first weekend in March. Very warm, slushy in the afternoon and icy in the morning. Best time to ski was between 11 and 2 when everyone was at lunch. Completely rained off on the Saturday - was reportedly raining at the top of the Nyon (we didn't even both going out, just went to watch the rugby). Very nearly put me off going back.

This year booked in over Easter with Simply Morzine and so far it promises to be an awesome week with perfect conditions and bags of snow. Not that I set much store by it, but there is a 16 day forecast that depicts snow every day next week. Webcams look awesome. I am counting down the days.

Off topic slightly - and at the risk of getting lambasted for asking piste map questions... Whats the best route to get to the La Rosta / Ranfolly bowl from the top of the Pleney in terms of the least queues for lifts first thing in the morning? I'll need to drop the kids off to lessons in the morning, and then need to get off that mountain. Looks like I can go down to Les Gets and go up Chavannes, or go back down the mountain and get Les Fys back up and then up Charmiaz. Or just get Belvedere and then Charmiaz?
ski holidays
Yllen - Ski all the way down through the tunnel to the Pre favre lift. Then from the top turn right and a quick ski down to Charniaz.
latest report
@yllen, a year is certainly making a difference, wonderful morning of perfect snow and clear viz and sun so you can carry on looking forward to your trip.

As above suggested, or take the slow Belvedere, then the Granges run down to Charniaz and whatever you fancy then into the Rosta bowl.
snow report
What an incredible day, sun, light snow and cold all day all at the same time. Les Gets/Morzine pistes perfect this morning and stayed good all day. Long time since I caught first and last lifts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy