Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Champery is running a limited opening this weekend.

http://www.telechampery.ch/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Much more promising start to the season than last year.

Noticed they moved the PDM webcam from the top - it did always seem to be broken up there.

https://www.morznet.com/webcams/portes-du-soleil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Far too early to say that this is a more promising start than last year. We got a massive snowfall to low levels at almost the exact same time, Champery opened same lifts for one weekend(?) then a period of foehn melted much of the snow, followed by a warm and dry spell that lasted to early Jan. If most of the current snow is still present when the lifts start turning then we can say it's a more promising start
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A quick ski tour in Avoriaz this morning. The Arare, Blue de lac, Chavanette and Fornet all pisted. The cannons have been running and there is surprisingly good cover on the piste. It's pretty warm in the sun and most south and west faces are losing their snow but if it stays cold generally then it's a promising enough start.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zzz, Nice to hear news from the ground, I think it sounds like they are learning from previous experience and running the cannons to try and consolidate the snow just in case @Nelbert75, is right - I hope history doesn't repeat itself in terms of the foehn wind. GFS more pessimistic than ECHM forecast over next week or so in terms of temperature.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rolling eyes

The usual ‘it’ll all melt, stop being so happy’ brigade. Go tell some kids Santa isn’t real while you’re at it.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
https://twitter.com/MintSnowboard/status/931198725862645760

https://twitter.com/MintSnowboard/status/931164237568847874
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tordi wrote:
rolling eyes

The usual ‘it’ll all melt, stop being so happy’ brigade. Go tell some kids Santa isn’t real while you’re at it.

After three years of hopeful November falls, followed by poor seasons, are you surprised?

Good to hear they are pisting down the falls and putting down some artificial on top though. Lessons appear to have been learned.

Santa's not real??? Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/societe/a-un-mois-d-une-nouvelle-saison-hivernale-la-station-de-morzine-prepare-pistes-et-perches-1511113663

A month away from Christmas holidays, and a new winter season, the Morzine resort takes advantage of the cold weather to make culture snow, mark its tracks, and inspect its ski lifts.

On the Portes du Soleil ski area , in the Chablais massif, the Morzine ski resort has scheduled the opening of its ski area with 46 lifts and 66 runs on the weekend of 9/10 December, that is to say in three weeks. Three weeks to scan the sky in expectation of snowfall, but especially in the hope that temperatures do not rise, and not melt the snow of culture manufactured in recent days.

Yes it is a lottery. By producing snow culture one month of Christmas, we take the risk of seeing everything melt if there is a stroke of warmth "

"I consult the weather ten times a day, the pressure is very high and the insomnia frequent". Emmanuel Defer, snowmaker in Morzine

At the foot of each snowgun, a pile of snow that will be spread later.
To keep as long as possible on the tracks this increasingly rare and precious commodity that is the snow, a very big work is carried out with each offseason on the grounds.

"We are cleaning up the terrain as much as possible to preserve the snow". Alain Barbier, the director of Morzine Pleney

Whether the snow is abundant or not for Christmas, the ski area must be ready for the opening day. Currently, 25 people work on the artificial snow network, the signage, and the marking of the tracks, the revision before regulatory inspection of the ski lifts . In a month, if snow and vacationers are there, these trackers and technicians lifts will be almost 190.

Cozy atmosphere but intense activity at the four corners of the ski area
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@no_snow_in_swindon, cannons were still running this morning in LG. Might take a trip up to Pleney next weekend as from distance it looks to have a good base.
I am bored of my own photos, so here's a different 'weather report' with my weekend warrior mates on sunday.

http://youtube.com/v/ldXa8IKxCM0
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at the webcams this morning it appears to be snowing up in Avoriaz but raining down in Morzine. Hopefully the freezing level comes down throughout the day
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@no_snow_in_swindon, http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow line in Cham looks like 1,400 and falling rapidly, as forecast. Tipping it down.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing hard in Les Gets and Chatel on these live feeds
Front de neige - Les Gets
http://youtube.com/v/hOfWyPvfyFg
Chavannes Express - Les Gets
http://youtube.com/v/KdPlmaG301c
Châtel Live
http://youtube.com/v/j0BKIkFs5G0
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hiked up from Ardent to top of Chaux Fleurie lift in Avoriaz this morning. Great conditions, 15-20cm at the top, light snowfall while the sun was breaking through.
Don't recommend skiing down the blue run from Lindarets back to the Ardent car park just yet....way too many rocks, and crusty piles of artificial snow.
But the short lived fun at the top made it all worthwhile.

http://youtube.com/v/wDQ9Czt_CH0
snow conditions
doddsie wrote:
PDS YOUNG PERSON’S PASS

For those of you aged 26 and under on 30th November 2017, your season pass will cost just €370 (or 400CHF) this winter. You must buy your pass online before 30th November, they’ll be available from the beginning of August on the PDS website.

I think this is 25 and under Sad

Quote:
The young person must be under 26 years old on 31 December 2017

I've had conflicting advice on whether a seasonal rental contract helps get some discount or not? Wondering if anyone knows for certain - i.e. whether I should just book online now (for the full €940) or if it's worth waiting until arriving in resort to take advantage of any offers...
snow conditions
I think you need to be paying and able to show a bill for Tax d’habitation, but stand to be corrected.
snow conditions
There is no early-bird discount for season passes if you are over 26.
We bought 2 adult ones at the Vonnes caisse for 752 each - that's with the resident discount, not an early-bird.
As proof of eligibility we took an EDF bill in our name.
Seasonal rental contract will probably not cut the mustard, as that shows the opposite i.e. you're not a resident.
If you are just over 26, then I would just say that there is no cross check against your age when buying or using the pass that we noticed.
We bought 3 online, and we just needed to pay the money, and supply valid hands-free card numbers ( though you can just pay the extra EUR3). We used them this weekend to get free 4 Valleés passes in Verbier and they did not check the ages of the users either.
I am not suggesting that you should try and "cheat" the system, but if you can pass for 26, and forget to take any other ID out with you when skiing, then the chance of detection is pretty slim.
snow report
wind of change - to get the free verbier passes, did you have to show any kind of voucher? or did you just show up with your PDS season pass. I know last year with the Morzine/Les Gets pass they gave you vouchers to use at other resorts.
snow report
@doddsie, we usually get given vouchers with our PDS season passes. Three to use in other Haute Savoie resorts, only once at each one, and then three to use at some Swiss resorts paying half price. The ticket office take one of the vouchers and scribble out the name of the resort. Just have to remember to put the PDS pass back in the car and just use the relevant resort pass for the day otherwise the machines get confused.
What we did get one year when we just had LG/Morzine season passes were the voucher for other resorts and also some vouchers to give friends/visitors either a free day or 50%, 25% off a local day pass.
snow conditions
When we got the 2 adult PDS ones from the caisse Mrs WoC asked for the "Days Out" passes.
This year the offer is 5 one day passes for the 4Vallées ( Verbier) and 5 one day passes for Altesch Arena per person.
She also took along the 3x PDS Young Person ones we bought online, along with printout of the transaction, and the lady at the caisse gave her the 10 tickets for each of these as well.
So when we went to Le Chable we just gave the person in the booth the PDS Passes ( to check the number) and the cards with the 4V coupons. Each of the coupons has the number of the corresponding PDS pass written on it.
The person in Le Chable just tore off one 4V coupon per person, and gave us it all back along with the day passes for 4V.
We were expecting to have to pay the CHF 5- for the 4V hands free passes, but these were free as well.
snow conditions
Ok Thanks. I thought we would need some kind of voucher, but as of yet I haven't had anything through the post, as I bought the passes online. I'll go to the ticket office and ask when I arrive on the 16th December.
ski holidays
I spoke with the sales people in Morzine, and they will send you the coupons for 4V and AA by post if you ask them.

I didn't ask about to UK address, but I should think they would though, given the difference in the cost of postage is negligible.

Even if you buy your season pass over the counter you sometimes have to ask for the coupons otherwise they do not always give them to you.

For internet sales, if you already have a hands free card, there is nothing to send, so I would guess that unless you ask for the "days out" coupons they will not send them automatically.
snow conditions
A reminder for anyone looking for a local weather forecast that chatelweb.com do a very good daily round up of conditions and model watching. There wouldn't be any point in me repeating their approach here, as they look at exactly the same charts....UKMO, ECM, GFS for mid range and then Arpegge, Arome and WRF closer in. I like how cautious they are about mid range reliability (basically pay little attention to anything past 5-6 days). Also thru experience, when looking at precipitation amounts for this area, GFS (snow-forecast) and WRF definitely overstate quantities in the 1-3 day timeframe. The most accurate numbers come from YR.NO, as well as the Arome / Arpegge data available on metrociel.

This week looks like getting 20-30cm wed-fri before the sun comes out on the weekend.
Speaking of, Chatelweb also mention Avoriaz opening a few runs this weekend (2-3rd).

While trying to confirm this I stumbled across the morzine-source-magazine. A few articles of note...
Les gets will likely open Chavannes area weekend 8-9th Dec. They are also putting their buses on an app so will be easy to see when next one arrives etc.
Probably old news, but Le Boomerang hotel has shut down, and will be replaced with yet another block of high spec apts, 42 of them.
snow conditions
+1 for Chatelweb.com - apart from the forecast there are some great current photos and totally honest reports (to the cm) of snowfall at various locations. Often multiple updates during a snow event.

Best of all Chas takes an almost daily trail run that goes past our apartment and up to Barbossine so I get an almost realtime report on the conditions I'll be skiing.
snow report
@DJL, he seems to spend an inordinate amount of time climbing up hills, taking photos and studying the weather.
snow report
Aletsch is a bit of an odd addition!

And looks like the 4 Haite-Savoie days no more, looks the same for Chamonix. That's disappointing!
ski holidays
@langball, Boomerang has closed but will be re-opening in a new venue in Les Gets.

Yes - Avoriaz open this weekend with the Arare sector and run down to Lindarets.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chatel is confirmed open this weekend. Ladies get to go free (BOGOF type arrangement)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 29-11-17 3:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I believe Avoriaz plans to be open from Friday 15th December. Assuming Chatel doesn’t follow suit, does anyone know if access is likely to be available from PLJ ( which I think is technically in the Chalet area ) or do you have to drive round to Ardent ?
latest report
@Nickbrad, why do you think Chatel won't follow suit? See Morgan's post.
snow report
@Nickbrad, From my understanding ( and experience of previous early openings ).

Each resort will have it's own early openings:
Avoriaz - weekends until the Friday 15th, then daily thru until April 21st
Chatel - weekends until the Friday 15th, then daily thru until April 15th
BUT the inter-resorts links will not be open until December 23rd.

This was implemented previously by them not running the Chaux Fleurie chair, so you could actually get over to Avoriaz from PLJ, but getting back would be a mission.

As for driving to Ardent, last time there was early opening, the first weekend you could only get up from Avoriaz, but the second weekend of early opening, Ardent bubble was running, so check that out if you are coming over this weekend.

I do not know why you would want to trek all the way over to Avoriaz though, as Chatel will be open, and PLJ / Linga / Plaine Dranse has easier to access off-piste from the runs that will be open.
Avoriaz will have the Arrare, Lindarets and Prodains sectors open, but not Chavanette, Mossettes or Super Morzine.
From talking to one of the responsables for the Pleney area, the non-linking pre-season is for political reasons, and has nothing to do with Snow coverage.
snow conditions
WindOfChange wrote:
When we got the 2 adult PDS ones from the caisse Mrs WoC asked for the "Days Out" passes.
This year the offer is 5 one day passes for the 4Vallées ( Verbier) and 5 one day passes for Altesch Arena per person.
She also took along the 3x PDS Young Person ones we bought online, along with printout of the transaction, and the lady at the caisse gave her the 10 tickets for each of these as well.
So when we went to Le Chable we just gave the person in the booth the PDS Passes ( to check the number) and the cards with the 4V coupons. Each of the coupons has the number of the corresponding PDS pass written on it.
The person in Le Chable just tore off one 4V coupon per person, and gave us it all back along with the day passes for 4V.
We were expecting to have to pay the CHF 5- for the 4V hands free passes, but these were free as well.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I've ordered season passes for my family directly from the caisse in Chatel. There seemed to be a different price quoted than on the PdS website, I guess due to the indigenes discount. However, there's been no mention at all of the Days Out promo and I was assuming that this was because it wasn't available with the "buy one adult pass, get one child free" early season promo.

If you order the promo from the PdS site from Champery, it gives a cheaper price (!), no charge for the chip cards and you get the Days Out, but then they have different rules for Indigenes in that you have to be local to Champery. From the Chatel site, I can get the indigenes discount with my tax d'habitation bill, but the cards are mentioned as chargeable and there's no mention of the days out.

So I guess I ask for the days out vouchers when I pick the cards up this weekend?

Back to the thread, it looks like a steady start to the season - no massive dump but cold weather, cannons on, frequent light falls of snow and the lifts opening "early", i.e. on time. All good. There looks to be enough snow on the Plaine Dranse webcam:

http://youtube.com/v/j0BKIkFs5G0&feature=youtu.be
snow report
We have never seen the Days Out advertised anywhere and have sometimes had to remind them in the ticket office about them, but other times they are just supplied. We just get our hands free passes renewed year after year.
ski holidays
@Pamski says - you need to ask, but you will get them.

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/winter/avantages-avec-lachat-du-forfait-saison.html

If you are in Chatel, then the lady at the Lac de Vonnes ticket office was super friendly and helpful, and she issued the days out passes for our 3 Online purchases too.
*Even though at the bottom it says only valid for Adult passes, the Televerbier staff issued the day passes to the young-person pass holders too, without batting an eyelid.
snow report
Whats the view of current conditions up in Avoriaz. Trying to decide where to book a late xmas break. Is there good coverage as it stands now?
snow report
@RetroBod,
Depends on what you are hoping to achieve. On piste is fine but you’ll not see much off piste as it stands. Late Xmas is a long way away but it feels better than the last two years. Cold, frequent (but weak) fronts passing through periodically.
ski holidays
zzz
Thanks,TBH I'm a full on on-piste skier. If there is major dumpation then I may stray off the sides, but much prefer the cruisy reds, but not averse to tackling the wall either! Any likelihood of the parks being open? (my son asking not me!!) Is Morzine skiable yet?
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
@Pamski says - you need to ask, but you will get them.

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/winter/avantages-avec-lachat-du-forfait-saison.html

If you are in Chatel, then the lady at the Lac de Vonnes ticket office was super friendly and helpful, and she issued the days out passes for our 3 Online purchases too.
*Even though at the bottom it says only valid for Adult passes, the Televerbier staff issued the day passes to the young-person pass holders too, without batting an eyelid.

I asked over the phone today when the caisse centrale at Chatel were taking my credit card details. They said they'd include the Days Out vouchers for each paying pass (including kids passes) but that there were no vouchers for kids passes received as part of the buy-adult-pass-receive-child's-pass-free promotion. Seems fair enough.
ski holidays
@RetroBod,
Your son, of course, of course. I think the park by the Avoriaz car park will open. It’s made from cannon snow anyway.
Morzine is scheduled to open in a couple of weeks. It’s earlier than normal but the reasons are, I think, political. There’s not much snow low down but they’ll make some, so, technically it will be open but much more snow needed to make it any good. HTH

Overall I think the on piste conditions will be good if it stays cold. If you can find a good deal then why not?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy