Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
Was sunny this morning at the top, then thick white out from around 10:30.
Currently snowing at 1200m
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was a bit chilly, but now, after slogging the pistes out for a few hours, I'm very soggy.

The fog soon turned to medium weight snow, which made for slow running despite fresh wax, and made me realise I should have put some Rain-X on my googles.

Still snowing...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not snowing now, and the sun is trying to come out...

Looking promising for a quick hour or so at the end of the day.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well that didn't really go to plan. Forecast iffy so a 5 hour pass again. Started well at Linga (10.20) but by 11.30 it was closing in and snowing up top/rain below Plaine Dranse. Coffee stop. Ventured out again at 12.20 and over to Les Combes lift (already a bit soggy) and it stopped - and stayed stopped for half an hour. Very soggy by now so straight back to Plaine Dranse for lunch. Snow on piste actually very nice. Eased after lunch so after a couple of runs back over to the car at Linga in the sun. Snow like glue below the gondola arrival station.

Put the skis in for a waxing and tomorrow looking fairly promising.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyone wondering why the Chatel road is still closed .....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Weather good to ok today - snow perfectly acceptable. Pretty gloomy clouds on this afternoon's horizons though. Dunno if that's anything to worry about.

Thought I'd pay a visit to the Swiss Wall this afternoon, but it was closed. Crying or Very sad

Keeps happening to me. I reckon they should rename the red run that returns from it back to Avoriaz "Piste Déception".

Natural Games is audibly cranking-up now, to blast its events throughout Avoriaz over the next few evenings. Last Prodains cable car down tonight is consequently 1am.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitters wrote:
An excellent day in Les Crosets & Avoriaz yesterday. It was a bit cooler so no sticky snow, great coverage and it was only soft on the very lowest slopes by Ardent and one or two other small patches, but even then not at all bad.

Grand Conche and related runs are now closed, looks like a big avalanche covering the upper part of the track, and only the black is open down from Swiss Mossettes to Les Crosets, I suppose due to avalanche risk rather than coverage as that was fine in the morning. You can download from the Mossettes lift if you don’t fancy the black.

The slopes are very quiet, especially in Crosets, and I’d say 90% of the voices heard in Avoriaz were British.

I think this could be the slide - piste was closed at the time:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2074066786142992&set=pcb.2074066806142990&type=3&theater

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 11-04-18 18:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
Anyone wondering why the Chatel road is still closed .....

@WindOfchange - is this on the main D22 up the valley? I don't recall this narrow tunnel but I have only driven this route a couple of times as I prefer to go around the lake. Looks scary and glad no-one was caught. Here are some photos posted by the Maire de Chatel:

https://www.facebook.com/NicolasRUBIN74/posts/2073857422830595

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 11-04-18 19:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went past the top of the Grand Conche run today. It is very definitely closed- not with a banner, rope or net but with a 2 metre high snow bank! You would have to work quite hard not to notice it.

Great conditions today with grippy snow everywhere around Avoriaz and Pre La Joux. A little sticky on the very lowest parts.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, Yeah, that's on the road up from Thonon, a couple of KMs after the roundabout where the 2 valleys fork: Morzine to the right and Chatel to the left.
The tunnel is not long after the twisty but by the EDF hydro plant.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tucked away in the terms and conditions on the liftpass page it says that bonus points have to be used by the end of this season II.4 in the link here https://www.skipass-chatel.com/media/download/chatelb2c/cms/media/CGV/CGV%20Français.pdf

Anyone know anything about this? What to do with the stack of cards with outstanding points on them? Or my online account with 150 points? I'll try to get an answer from the lift pass office and post up if I get anything useful.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, We were told they are wiping the slate clean, and introducing a new system where online and offline fidelity points can be combined, rather than running 2 parallel systems as is the case now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's a sunny start in Avoriaz this morning. May it continue throughout the day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, yep, that’s the one

Terrific day today in glorious sunshine, but not too warm so the pistes were all in very good shape in Les Crosets, Avoriaz and Linga.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A cracking day out today. Pre La Joux, Avoriaz, Mosettes, Les Crosets (impressive slide wiping out the blue down from Grand Conche) then back to Avoriaz, Changabang lunch and over to Plaine Dranse. Spotted a Blue Chilli instructor with two clients heading off piste and then returning further down so the Hidden Valley is hidden (from us) no more! Had a couple of runs down there and the snow was perfect with an inch of softened stuff on top of the base.

Still not a rock to be seen and snow very good above about 1500m, a bit slushy below that. Sun out most of the day. Glorious. One of my best days ever on skis. Quite something for mid April

The bonus point conundrum. I went into the tourist office and they said I needed to ask at the caisses though they said something was happening and when asked confirmed it is not finalised yet. At the caisses they said no points can be added after this season. Cards with 200 points will still give a free PDS day next season, cards with 150 points will get "something" and with 80 points you can have a day's VTT pass in the summer. In the end he said just bring all your cards and we will sort it out.

So not a full definitive answer but I suspect those that press them a bit will get some sort of consolidation of existing points. Worth keeping an eye out for news for those like me that can't justify a season pass but accumulate a lot of cards and online points in various skiers names.
snow report
Well as PDS season pass holders at reduced rate due to second home ownership and a but more for being oh so old we think we have had our money’s worth this year. The eight days before Christmas in Avoriaz and Chatel were such a bonus. But we are still very happily skiing in Les Gets, the runs off the Ranfoilly were brilliant, again. Very few people around either.
latest report
Brief spells of flat light, but yes, otherwise a perfect day in Avoriaz and Les Crosets - returning via the Swiss Wall to appreciate its closure is understandable (given cornices above and minor avalanche debris all over it).
latest report
Well that's it for me this season. A last minute Dads' and lads' trip with my brother and it turned out fantastically well. One soggy day below 1600m , some fresh snow and lots of sunshine. Not bad for mid April and still discovering new areas after 28 years.

Today not quite as good as yesterday with the afternoon snow being a bit softer on and off piste. Still found some spring snow when the sun caught it right and again no rocks to be seen. Very quiet again.

Third lunch this week at Abricotine - really like the place.

See you next season.

David
ski holidays
Excellent conditions in La Chapelle Park and Super Chatel Park today.
Although it's last knockings now, and all the lifties were out to play in the parks.
Clouded over a bit around midday, but then nice again in the afternoon.
ski holidays
DJL wrote:
Third lunch this week at Abricotine - really like the place.

Yeah, my other half and I had two lunches there. Great sun trap, and the Refuge d'Abricotine does great omelettes. It's probably overtaken the goat village as the best lunch stop now (in our book).

Just drove back to the Pyrénées today.

The last week in Avoriaz used to be the cheapest (for s/c deals in P&V/Maeva), now it's the penultimate week, as I suspect those who go in the last week are there more for the sun and setting, than the skiing. Even so, I suspect the horse drawn sleighs will not be converting to pneumatic tyres this season.

Back to the subject of dining, I really can't understand why 'Au Briska' is lucky to get two tables occupied whilst the similar restaurant next door, 'Fontaines Blanches' is always full with people queuing outside the door? And it's been like this for decades... Puzzled
snow report
Managed to sneak onto the Big Boarder X they built for the competition last week.
Really fast, and nice shaped kickers.
Its still there, and the ESF / Pisties seem to be turning a blind eye to punters nipping through a gap in the fence and having a pop.
Also the big-ass slope style was "open" to all on yesterday - but those kickers are just plain scary.
Also if anyone fancies a laugh, try the snake run in the stash at the moment - proper tight turns, and its a bit crusty early doors, which makes it a challenging to say the least Smile
latest report
@WindOfChange, Snake run is for kids (with short skis)! I had a go last week and it was a nightmare. Perhaps competence had something to do with it.
ski holidays
@DJL, Very Happy
I followed my youngest thru it he was on a really squidgy 151 park board which seemed to flex and bend round the twists and turns.
My 158 freeride board was not so flexible and bendy ( and nor am I ).
I suspect my experience was very similar to yours, but we both had a good laugh about me getting stuck sideways across it Smile
snow conditions
Pah, that's nothing. My nephew insisted I follow him so that I could video him doing it. You try doing that on a 6'7" powder board! So, yes, once or twice I had to 'sit down' to avoid 'cuddling trees'. Embarassed
latest report
Is Avoriaz still open?
snow conditions
@Sunshine81, Yep, closes Sunday 22nd.
http://www.avoriaz.com/en/all-about-skiing/operating-lifts
latest report
@@247snowman, thanks
snow conditions
Avoriaz was still in good (spring) nick today.
The stage is set up now for the party Chez Flo tomorrow afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Chapelle Park was closed yesterday, but there was still tons to go at, and the runs from Combe and Cornebois were empty with excellent snow till about 11.
Nearly time to put the kit away, just 1 last hurrah in Verbier next weekend.
latest report
i hope this is ok to post in here-

We are looking to book 16th Dec 18 for 1 week in Morzine. Have been advised by chalet company that possibility the lifts wont be open and will need to be driven to Avoriaz.

Does anyone have any stats of the last few season opening dates for Pleney?

It was my wife and kids 1st time on skis last year in Morzine took a lot of persuading etc so really want to stick to Morzine if possible.

many thanks
latest report
I can only go on the 14 years since I lived here, but up to 2013, normally the lifts opened on the advertised dates most years.
I can recall 4 years when there were limited early openings ( earliest was 22nd Nov).
But in 2005, 2014, 15 & 16, poor pre-season snow meant that the area was not fully open.
This season just gone though, was amazing - in fact it snowed last night above 1900m, and were I not at work today I would be hiking up the Pte de Chesery, as you can still ride down to Lindarets.
The problem with making predictions is they are very difficult, especially for stuff in the future.
That being said, even if the Pleney is not open, Avoriaz has always opened on or before the advertised dates ( in my limited memory).
There's a very good chance that the Chalet company know whet they're talking about, as they have proably been operating in the area for several years.
snow report
@ianvip, when the chalet company say 'driven to Avoriaz'

this probably means starting the day at Ardent or Prodains both of which are not a massive trek from Morzine.
ski holidays
Thanks all.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy