Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Update on happenings in the area... https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/stories/skicircus-news_m_2658

Will be interested to see what changes have been made to the Zwolfer-Nord run. Couldn’t quite work out what they meant. I quite liked it as it was. Love the lift recycling though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hammerite, I read that as being a semantic change - it used to be a black run with red alternatives to the steeper sections, and now it is a red run with black alternatives. The whole central section was never really black, so this makes sense. Replacement of the Zwölfernordbahn seems to be part of the plan as well, so no more standing up Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I read that as being a semantic change - it used to be a black run with red alternatives to the steeper sections, and now it is a red run with black alternatives. The whole central section was never really black, so this makes sense

The regrading was made prior to last season. Over the last few years they've made quite a lot of "improvements" to that run - widening and security fencing, etc. It's tamer than it was 10 years ago, although the first drop-off (through the fence) and the last section are the steepest pistes in the whole of the Ski Circus.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I though it was mostly red with black options before. This seems to be another change.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@hammerite, I seem to remember that we had a discussion about this on last season's thread, when we noticed that the piste was marked as a red on the new piste map and wondered if it was a mistake. I remember expressing surprise that Saalbach should want to regrade one its three "proper" black runs (and arguably the nicest one) into a red. I'm sure that the regrading has encouraged more people to use it (that seemed to be the case last season), but my own, purely intuitive feeling is that I would rather it had been left as a black. However there is no denying the logic that, except for the two optional sections mentioned above, it's more red throughout its length and skiable by reasonably competent intermediates.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
tatmanstours wrote:
@hammerite, I seem to remember that we had a discussion about this on last season's thread, when we noticed that the piste was marked as a red on the new piste map and wondered if it was a mistake. I remember expressing surprise that Saalbach should want to regrade one its three "proper" black runs (and arguably the nicest one) into a red. I'm sure that the regrading has encouraged more people to use it (that seemed to be the case last season), but my own, purely intuitive feeling is that I would rather it had been left as a black. However there is no denying the logic that, except for the two optional sections mentioned above, it's more red throughout its length and skiable by reasonably competent intermediates.

It does seem an odd thing to do. Whilst it encourages people to ski that corner of the circus (and eases load elsewhere) it's not really going to draw additional people to the resort like a black might. Still, we should be thankful.

Reading the news article, it looks like there's a new rope drag to the the Zwolfer Nordbahn lift. I assume it will also help hapless skiers like myself who don't carry much speed from the bottom of 22a and end up schlepping across to the Zwolfer Nordbahn lift?

Anyhow, being our 4th year on Saalbach there's a few things I'd like to do...

1) Spend more time skiing run 25 (Reichkendlkopf) which I consider to be one of the resorts nicest blues.
2) Avoid the puss filled sausage from the Sonnhof.
3) Spend more time at Bigfoot-Salettl bar.
4) Eat something other than chicken at the Chicken Man (maybe Smile).
5) Ski down to Fieberbrunn.
6) Ski 68 (please let be open)!
7) Catch the happy hour at Berger Hochalm

And of course spend plenty of time at Spitzbub and the Eva Alm.

I can't wait!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeteMan, All very worthy objectives - all power to your elbow!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all
I'm looking to organise a Christmas trip and have couple of queries if I may:
My better half is a fairly cautious 2nd week skier and has unfortunately only experienced ice and slush so far (hence the caution). Obviously we can't predict conditions, but would you recommend Saalbach or Hinterglemm as a better base for someone who is starting to venture out from the beginner areas? I know she'll love the Austrian apres and feel of the villages, so we've just got the small matter of skiing to master Smile
Second query: are the Hinterglemm bars and restaurants equally as good as the Saalbach ones? I've read through most of this thread and you've managed to jog my memory of Spitzbub, Bobby's etc but I can't recall the Hinterglemm offerings. The fact that I can't remember the Goaßstall either means I totally missed it or it was a great night.

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Valluga, no doubt @tatmanstours will be along shortly to point you to Saalbach, and it is hard to argue against this - but I'll give it a go anyway...

There's not a lot between the two in terms of bars and restaurants - Saalbach has more choice, but Hinterglemm has more than enough to keep you happy for a week.

In December, the key question is snow quantity and quality. For a cautious 2nd week skier, the advantage of Hinterglemm is that the lower slopes are north facing, so the snow tends to be better both in quantity and quality, but the trade-off is that you're not in the sun so it is colder. Once they graduate to something more difficult, I'd recommend a couple of trips down the Bergfried run if they can handle T-bars, as it is generally very quiet and is wide and easy apart from the last 50 metres which has a cut-around on the right to avoid the steeper section. The ski schools take learners to the top of Zwolferkogel, and ski down to midstation by taking the long sweep around the right-hand side of the ridge run, keeping as far right as possible, and then staying on the lower pistes down to the lift. As confidence grows, there's a very easy skier cross course on the bottom half of this piste which can be useful to vary the run and introduce a little more difficulty, and then the next progression is to take the main slope down rather than the loop. Once that is conquered, the slopes down the Zehnerbahn are a good option to work up to reds, and then the bottom half of the Zwolferkogel, and then the U-Bahn, then Westgipfel, and then the other side of the valley.

In Saalbach, the Turm area is the main learner slope, but as it is south facing it tends to be slushy by noon unless the temperatures stay below about -5, mogulled, and very busy. The alternative is to ignore the south-facing slopes and head towards Leogang instead, where there are several options including the runs down to Leogang.

Also, in Hinterglemm you don't need to walk up or down a possibly icy, 10 degree cobbled street in ski boots.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Other S-H regulars will no doubt chime in, but here are my thoughts. It's obviously early days for this season, but the snow situation is tentatively looking promising. I've visited in recent years at times when natural snow has been literally thin on the ground, and even then the skiing has been remarkably good thanks to the artificial capability the area has. It really is incredible. I wouldn't worry too much about conditions.
Which village should you base yourself in? I'm a Hinterglemmer and actually think it has a greater variety of skiing on its doorstep than Saalbach, and the better nursery slopes. BUT... I think Saalbach has the better skiing for those graduating from the nursery slopes. The Bernkogel has a really easy top half, and a really wide blue on the bottom section. It's a great run, and the width means you can find some space even when busy. By contrast the best, shall we say 'easy', blue in Hinterglemm is the top half of the Zwolfer, but it has some narrower sections that get busy. Once you get beyond that standard you're good to tour the circus. As for bars, there is a bit, (lot?), more variety in Saalbach, but there's always life somewhere in both villages.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh yes, thanks @ousekjarr, forgot about the bergfried. A great little slope, that I use a lot at the end of the day. Very quiet, always good coverage, but... it is a t-bar, and it doesn't get much sun.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Colinthc, we stay in an apartment where the front door is 40 feet from the Bergfried piste, and we can ski to within 20 feet of the house on the way home. Our kids were on the T-bar at 5 wink and used to lap that piste for the last 30 minutes of each day, and the first 30 minutes every morning as a warmup.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ousekjarr, We have stayed in many hotels over the years, often near the Reiterkogel, and, yep, the Bergfried is a great run to carve your way down till the lift shuts, or, last year, to ski with my daughter after her ski school to keep building her confidence, (I may be being too successful with that - I'm creating a skiing monster). A very underrated, and very handy, slope.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In Saalbach, the Turm area is the main learner slope, but as it is south facing it tends to be slushy by noon unless the temperatures stay below about -5, mogulled, and very busy.

@ousekjarr, No, this shouldn't apply as early in the season as Christmas. Until late January the Turmwiese spends most of the day in the shade of the Schattberg mountain, and the nursery area tends to be in better shape than higher up. The sun will be weak and low in the sky at this time of the season. Last season (which was supposed to be a poor one across the Alps), I was struck by how good the lower section of piste 52 and the Turmwiese were, and it was then that I realised why (see above).
Quote:

the advantage of Hinterglemm is that the lower slopes are north facing, so the snow tends to be better both in quantity and quality, but the trade-off is that you're not in the sun so it is colder.

Again, the orientation of the slopes isn't so important early in the season. The sun is too weak to do any damage and it's mostly behind the mountains on the south side of the valley, until you get up much higher - and then it's not a problem either. There is no reason, at this early stage of the season, why the snow should be better or worse on the lower slopes in either village.
Quote:

Also, in Hinterglemm you don't need to walk up or down a possibly icy, 10 degree cobbled street in ski boots

There is plenty of ski-in ski-out, or at least very conveniently-located accommodation in Saalbach. All along the road in which we are located (Schiliftstrasse), as well as in the roads up to the right of the Kohlmais Lift Station, and also over in the upper section of the Dorfstrasse (Oberdorf) there is loads of accommodation that requires you only to cross the road to the Turmwiese, from where you can go uo the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn or ski over towards the Bernkogelbahn - minimal walking, and in a 4 month season we literally never ever feel it necessary to "walk up or down a possibly icy, 10 degree cobbled street in ski boots". There are many hotels and apartment houses that are literally within 50m of the Bernkogelbahn or the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn. We would never recommend staying down by the main road in either village, if it can be avoided. Ironically we do have friends in Hinterglemm, who regularly have to walk up and down a steep slope, because, like much of the accommodation, their apartment is in an elevated position opposite the Zwoelferkogel.

@Valluga, You will find that opinion is divided over which is the better base - not surprising as both are excellent bases for a holiday. Some people recommend Hinterglemm for total beginners, on the basis that they consider the nursery slopes to be more suitable. However things are not that simple. The time of the season comes into the equation, since the Saalbach nursery slopes face south, and the Hinterglemm ones face north and, in the early season, are more shaded by the Schattberg mountain. Also some people aren't even aware of the Saalbach Kreuzkapelle nursery slope, which is in the centre of the village and ideal for complete beginners.

Anyway, that's enough about nursery slopes, since your wife appears to be more interested in the next stage. Trying very hard to be unbiased (since I'm based in Saalbach and like it better as a base for many reasons), I would nevertheless recommend Saalbach, because I would say that the easy blue runs there are more suitable for skiers at your wife's stage. In particular, I would strongly recommend the upper section of the Bernkogel, which since the replacement of the infamous double T-bar by a comfortable, modern chair lift, has been transformed into the nicest and easiest slope in the entire Ski Circus for nervous skiers who are just progressing from the nursery slopes down in the village. It's a good length and the gradient is consistently gentle with no steep parts. Just for a bit of variety, at the very top there is also an easy blue run (more like a reasonably wide track) that takes you down to the Wetterkreuz chair lift, which brings you back up to the summit. This run tends to be overlooked by the rank and file and is therefore often quiet. For lunch you have the Baernalm, which is a great sunbathing spot, and across the piste the Luis Alm. Until she feels confident enough to take on the lower section of the Bernkogel (which can vary in difficulty, according to the time of the season and the time of day), she can download on the Bernkogelbahn gondola.

Then there is piste 52, which runs between the mid-station of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn gondola and the Turmwiese nursery slope at the bottom. For the most part this is a gentle run, suitable for progressing lower intermediates. It gets narrower and slightly steeper around the Maisalm and just before the Hinterhagalm, but in the early season these should be unproblematic (by which I mean that it should not get slushy and chopped up, as it can be in late season). In good conditions this is a delightful run.

Towards the end of your week your wife may have gained the confidence to go to the top of the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn and take the blue runs down via the Panoramaalm, or, in the easterly direction, via the Thurneralm and the Bergeralm - all excellent, "suntrap" restaurants for lunch and the end of the afternoon. Once she gets to that stage, the whole of the Kohlmais, with its extensive network of mainly blue runs, becomes possible. I have known skiers at her stage get as far as Leogang and back.

I have thought about the equivalent possibilities in Hinterglemm. I suppose that, if you were based there, the best area for your wife, once she progresses from the valley-bottom nursery slopes, would be the Zwoelferkogel, in particular the upper section of piste 11. There are also some easy blues over at Hochalm. However, to my mind at least, the skiing over there doesn't lend itself quite so well to someone at her stage. There is also likely to be more walking and bussing.

Both villages have good bars and restaurants - difficult for me to compare, because I'm generally using the ones in Saalbach, but I've occasionally frequented the Knappenstube and Heurigenstube restaurants in Hinterglemm, as well as being "part of the furniture" at the Goassstall. I've also enjoyed the Glemmerkeller and the London Pub. Obviously however I could wax lyrical about the many bars and restaurants that I enjoy in Saalbach. (One word of warning, in case you're a fan of the Hinterhagalm - the apres-ski parties generally don't start until Boxing Day.)

Whichever village you stay in, you can also treat the other village as part of your stomping ground in the evenings - taxis between the two are plentiful, very quick (about 5 mins) and reasonably cheap. At one time we used to end up at the Goassstall at least twice a week and then get a taxi back to Saalbach at about 7.30pm - unless we first went night skiing on the floodlit piste, in which case we would often either eat in Hinterglemm or end up in Bobby's or Wallners Pizzeria in Saalbach later in the evening. (Self-catering is a lot more flexible than half board!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Valluga, and @ousekjarr, P.S. Christmas doesn't tend to be anything like as busy as other peak holiday weeks, especially (obviously) NY week. We've often commented that, whilst NY week is probably 100% busy, Christmas tends to be around 60% - maybe less, depending on the snow and when Christmas day falls.
ski holidays
and as if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared... wink

Good point on the early season shade on the Turmweise slope - I’m more used to it in February or March.

Either village will work for you, and by the end of week 2 on skis your other half will probably have been able to see much of the area anyway.
snow report
Quote:

Good point on the early season shade on the Turmweise slope - I’m more used to it in February or March.

At risk of seeming stupid (because it really should have become obvious to me years ago - after all, this will be my 12th consecutive Christmas in Saalbach), it dawned on me only last December - a bit of a Eureka moment - that the lower slopes of the Kohlmais and the Turmwiese nursery slopes were in perfect condition, even though it was supposed to be a poor season for early snow. As I skied down the Kohlmais, I found myself skiing on excellent pistes higher up, then at mid-mountain stage it became just okay but not brilliant, then it became really good again towards the bottom. "Eureka", I thought (I might even have shouted it) - the sun is behind Schattberg ("Shadow Mountain") virtually all the time. There might be a very brief window at around midday, when its weak rays just about get onto the top of the Turmwiese, but most of the time the lower slopes stay beautifully cold with powdery snow.

That got me noticing how high the sun rises in relation to the surrounding mountains, and thinking about the impact of those mountains (the Glemm valley being relatively narrow with steep-sides, compared with many other resorts) on Saalbach-Hinterglemm's snow reliability. When comparing and choosing resorts, many people think about altitude and the orientation of slopes, but how many take into account the topography? When you think about it, an east-west mountain chain lying to the south side of the V-shaped valley is ideal for accumulating and preserving the snow early in the season. The sun doesn't really get a look in! Compare that with other resorts, like some of those in the Ski Welt.
snow conditions
Such great advice, thanks all! @tatmanstours, great info about the topography of the area. I've found some cheap flights so just weighing up the TO versus DIY options, but it looks like this is the place for us.
latest report
@tatmanstours, ...and of course you can take that a bit further. If said east/west valley is a dead end at it's Western end, then the West of the valley will get even less sun in winter. Which is why you can be sweltering in the sun at the Hochalm mid-station, but having your ears burnt off with the cold as you sweep into the valley floor. Indeed, snow can stay very powdery, and the trees very white in Lengau, while a couple of hundred metres higher the snow can be porridge. All of which confirms that, whatever else, @Valluga, you need not worry about slope conditions low down in mid-winter. And probably higher up too, given the artificial capabilities that are already clearly evident on the web cams.
snow conditions
Thanks @Colinthc, that's good to know. Currently looking at Hotel Kristiana in Saalbach but will do a bit more research tomorrow.
ski holidays
@Valluga, hotel kristiana is recommended. Great position in the town, easy access to go up bernkogel lift to hinterglemm or Fieberbrunn or the other way up kohlmais lift for Saalbach and my favourite area of leogang. Short ski back from the famous apres at hintergagalm and short walk to the main bars/restaurants in the village. I have not stayed there (yet) but my friends have stopped there the last few years and love it and I am booked in there with them this year. I did eat there with them one evening and food was great.
snow report
@Valluga, + 1 for the Kristiana. As @ribblevalleyblue, says, it's in a good location at the top end of the village, so no hiking uphill to the lifts (and only about 100-200 meters to walk back at the end of the day). A large group of our friends stayed there a couple of seasons ago and they liked it.
snow report
@Valluga, also consider the Konig. Good location at the bottom of the nursery slope, superb food, lovely staff and excellent value.
snow report
We're big fans of the Hotel Post. Great service, nice pool and smack bang in the centre of town. They've moved to a B&B basis this year so no need to rush back and you can enjoy Saalbach's fine eateries.
snow report
@PeteMan, Interesting that they’ve done that, and somewhat surprising for a swish 4 star bang in the village centre. Some friends of ours stayed there a few seasons ago and spent a surprising amount of time eating in the village restaurants, as they apparently found the Post’s menu of beef done in a variety of different ways monotonous.
Still, the various village restaurants (and Bobby’s) won’t be complaining, and B&B (or, dare I say it self-catering) makes more sense for the reasons you mention.
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@Valluga, + 1 for the Kristiana. As @ribblevalleyblue, says, it's in a good location at the top end of the village, so no hiking uphill to the lifts (and only about 100-200 meters to walk back at the end of the day). A large group of our friends stayed there a couple of seasons ago and they liked it.

We stayed at the Kristina on a walking holiday a couple of years ago and have manged to get back in for our first ski trip to Saalbach. Would you have any run tips for a couple of advanced intermediates ? snowHead
snow report
@RWDLYN, ...Advanced intermediates? Saalbach? Advice? Get lost! No, literally. You can't go wrong. It's up there with any resort in the world for advanced intermediates. Just ski anywhere, and try different runs. Make it up on the hoof. As long as you are in the Glemm valley (tal) at the end of the day, there's a free ski bus home. There are a few black runs, but on all of them the steeper sections are avoidable. And if you go to Leogang and Fieberbrunn, (and do go to both, particularly Leogang), just make sure you leave in time to get back to the Glemmtal. Seriously, just roam and explore and find what you like. Enjoy.
ski holidays
RWDLYN wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

We stayed at the Kristina on a walking holiday a couple of years ago and have managed to get back in for our first ski trip to Saalbach. Would you have any run tips for a couple of advanced intermediates ? snowHead

I like an early morning run down 2b at the back of Schattberg before it gets chopped up. Wide and fast at the top, to get your ski legs moving, then a little steeper further down, as the blue becomes a little more red in nature. That's a lot more bearable since the gondola that it connects to was upgraded last year and a bottleneck removed. You can then connect over to Leogang or back down into Saalbach.

The linked blue runs 92 and 93 down into Leogang are great for speedy carving since they're usually quite quiet.

16, tucked away in a corner accessed by a T bar has a lovely rolling, turning, bottom section. The approach to the lift station can be really picturesque, and the bathing hut at the top of the lift next to a small lake is charming, with net curtains even when it's not in use.

Finally, for no particular reason I like the top section of 28 next to the Rosswaldbahn chairlift, where the snow is usually really good and the left hand side is really quiet since most folk use the run as a link.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours, Given the excellent start (snow wise) into winter season 2017/2018, do you think they will be able to open the whole area on 1.12.2017? Do they try to "conserve" snow on pistes for Christmas and New Years guests?

I must admit I didn't expect that much snow that early in the season and it seems that december will be one of the jackpots this winter...
snow report
@matejp, They might open it progressively - more because of the lack of people than the lack of snow. (Despite the excellent early conditions and forecast of a further 50cm or more to fall in the next few days, our apartments are empty for the first two weeks of December, and I suspect that this will be the general picture - the most glorious skiing we have ever had has been during mid-December when the pistes are perfectly groomed but empty - and they stay that way all day). However I would expect that the whole system will be running by the middle of December, and most of it by the end of the first week. Last year, when conditions were nothing like as good, we arrived on 10th December and at least 150km of pistes were open - could be more like 200km this year (but I’m speculating - we’ll soon know because the lift company will announce it).
I wouldn’t expect any conservation of snow to be necessary.
Everyone has been strangely quiet about the fantastic early snow and (after the last three years) return to what I once regarded as “normality”. Maybe no one wants to count their chickens too soon or to tempt fate, but, looking at snow-forecast.com, I think that we can now safely celebrate. Yesterday I pointed out, in a separate discussion (in which a group of skiers were trying to decide between Saalbach and other resorts further west, including Val d’Isere) that the forecast is for over 60cm on upper slopes in Saalbach and only 7cm in Val D.
latest report
honved wrote:
RWDLYN wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:

We stayed at the Kristina on a walking holiday a couple of years ago and have managed to get back in for our first ski trip to Saalbach. Would you have any run tips for a couple of advanced intermediates ? snowHead

I like an early morning run down 2b at the back of Schattberg before it gets chopped up. Wide and fast at the top, to get your ski legs moving, then a little steeper further down, as the blue becomes a little more red in nature. That's a lot more bearable since the gondola that it connects to was upgraded last year and a bottleneck removed. You can then connect over to Leogang or back down into Saalbach.

The linked blue runs 92 and 93 down into Leogang are great for speedy carving since they're usually quite quiet.

16, tucked away in a corner accessed by a T bar has a lovely rolling, turning, bottom section. The approach to the lift station can be really picturesque, and the bathing hut at the top of the lift next to a small lake is charming, with net curtains even when it's not in use.

Finally, for no particular reason I like the top section of 28 next to the Rosswaldbahn chairlift, where the snow is usually really good and the left hand side is really quiet since most folk use the run as a link.

Great info,thanks
ski holidays
@tatmanstours, I suspect that 14.12.2017 when I arrive will not be so quiet due to the fact that the winter festival "Rave on Snow" starts the same day...
ski holidays
@RWDLYN, Don’t miss piste 68 - off the beaten track and the longest run in the entire system. And stop at the Hecherhuette restaurant just over halfway down - it gets full marks for its views, staff welcome and service (tell them it’s your first time and that I sent you - might get you one of their “Hecherfeuer” burning schnapps), gulasch soup, steaks, and jagatee - all very potent so beware!
PM me your email address and I’all send you my 20 page guide to Saalbach and a couple of suggested long itineraries.
latest report
@matejp, That’s true, but hopefully they will all be raving rather than skiing. They are likely to be congregating around the lower, southern side of the village, so stick to the upper, northern side for the best chance of peace and quiet. We didn’t even notice it last year.
snow conditions
So Tatman, is your apartment available w/c Saturday 9th December?
latest report
@Jenniper, Yes, (and also the week before), but only until @matejp, arrives on 14th Dec. Smile PM me your email address if you're interested.
snow conditions
Thanks - I'll see how the next couple of days go and I might drop you a line Cool
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan, Interesting that they’ve done that, and somewhat surprising for a swish 4 star bang in the village centre. Some friends of ours stayed there a few seasons ago and spent a surprising amount of time eating in the village restaurants, as they apparently found the Post’s menu of beef done in a variety of different ways monotonous.
Still, the various village restaurants (and Bobby’s) won’t be complaining, and B&B (or, dare I say it self-catering) makes more sense for the reasons you mention.

Talking of the Post, I believe they have anew Apres ski bar opening this year. It's hard to judge exactly where it is but I think it could be at the side just down from the Spitzbub. Here's the link https://www.hotelpost-saalbach.at/en/postbar/. Hopefully it will be a little less weird than the existing bar!
snow report
Quote:

Talking of the Post, I believe they have anew Apres ski bar opening this year.

Even more intriguing! Puzzled In around 15 years of visiting, or being based in, Saalbach, I don't think I've ever set foot in the Post, let alone seen the "weird" bar. It sounds as though they may be pitching themselves at a different market, although I would expect the new "apres-ski" bar to be a bit more upmarket and restrained than some of the places up the road. I wonder if they weren't making enough money as a superior hotel - would seem surprising in view of the good location and the attractiveness of the building.

Anyway - yet another apres-ski bar opens in Saalbach! Mangos might be another one to watch - we met the new operators of it late last season, and they were full of enthusiasm for what they were going to do there. A shame really, because the Dutch owners got off to a good start with it a few seasons ago (a chilled late night bar with really great music), but they seemed to lose their way and their interest.
snow report
@RWDLYN,
Quote:

Don’t miss piste 68 - off the beaten track and the longest run in the entire system. And stop at the Hecherhuette restaurant just over halfway down - it gets full marks for its views, staff welcome and service (tell them it’s your first time and that I sent you - might get you one of their “Hecherfeuer” burning schnapps), gulasch soup, steaks, and jagatee - all very potent so beware!

Talking of the wonderful piste 68, here are a couple of youtube videos, the first one filmed by me, and the second by another Snowhead (in that second one I'm the one skiing badly and talking rubbish, wearing a super fashionable rolling eyes one-piece, greyish/green ski suit and with the go-pro camera on my helmet).
Incidentally, this piste will be the main one for skiers wanting to head over to Zell am See, once the new link is finished next year ( we anticipate). At present it's very quiet and only open when the snow is adequate (not being covered by snow cannons), but no doubt all that will change.

http://youtube.com/v/ciuqR3xbt_w&t=2s

http://youtube.com/v/_2-QfgNlcdY
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy