Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
PeteMan wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan, Interesting that they’ve done that, and somewhat surprising for a swish 4 star bang in the village centre. Some friends of ours stayed there a few seasons ago and spent a surprising amount of time eating in the village restaurants, as they apparently found the Post’s menu of beef done in a variety of different ways monotonous.
Still, the various village restaurants (and Bobby’s) won’t be complaining, and B&B (or, dare I say it self-catering) makes more sense for the reasons you mention.

Talking of the Post, I believe they have anew Apres ski bar opening this year. It's hard to judge exactly where it is but I think it could be at the side just down from the Spitzbub. Here's the link https://www.hotelpost-saalbach.at/en/postbar/. Hopefully it will be a little less weird than the existing bar!

Oh no!! A new bar half way from SPitzpub/Bauers to our hotel. May be missing even more evening meals next trip!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any news on what will be open this week-end?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A quick update:
A test run at the Tamworth Snowdome last night (that place is crying out for an umbrella bar Very Happy) proved to my other half that she can indeed still ski, so we've booked the Kristiana for Christmas week.
Thanks all for your kind advice, especially @tatmanstours and @ousekjarr.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Valluga, You’re very welcome, and well done - you’ll have a great experience. My first Christmas in Saalbach was in 2006 at the Hotel Panther (just down the road from the Kristiana), and I now can’t imagine spending Christmas anywhere else!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Valluga, glad to help - with the current snow base and the forecast for this week showing another 23cm, it looks like you could have the best Christmas conditions in recent memory Happy

Once your other half has found her ski legs, the whole valley should be accessible to you, and there's nowhere you can't go on reds and blues including the anti-clockwise circuit of the whole valley if she's up to skiing for 4-6 hours in the day. If it all gets too much, simply take the simplest (blue/red) way down to the valley and catch one of the frequent buses back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@scr, and all others who want to see what's opening and when, see this:
https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/ski-resort/current-lift-operation
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, Thanks, just the info I was looking for! Now to find somewhere to stay fri-sun.

Starting to get a lil excited.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So everything will be open from 7.12.2017.

Good, good, gooooood!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Now to find somewhere to stay fri-sun.

@scr, Let me know if I can help (send me a PM)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone who wants a season lift pass for the reduced price of EUR 546 (not much more than the price of two 6 day passes), you have until 6th December to apply.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Will all the mountain restaurants be open from the start of the season or do they wake up more gradually?

I seem to remember from my last visit that a few of the bars didn't open til around 27th December so I missed out on the Hinterhag Alm!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jenniper, The Hinterhag Alm always starts its apres-ski parties on Boxing Day. Apart from that everything seemed to be running as normal when we arrived last year on 10th December. With conditions being as perfect as they are at present, I would expect everything to be fairly idyllic from the official opening of the resort on 1st December, and it is a source of extreme annoyance that I have to hang around in the UK, awaiting family members who are visiting from Australia, before flying off to Iceland (for some strange reason) and then joining us in Saalbach for Christmas.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jimmybog wrote:
PeteMan wrote:
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan, Interesting that they’ve done that, and somewhat surprising for a swish 4 star bang in the village centre. Some friends of ours stayed there a few seasons ago and spent a surprising amount of time eating in the village restaurants, as they apparently found the Post’s menu of beef done in a variety of different ways monotonous.
Still, the various village restaurants (and Bobby’s) won’t be complaining, and B&B (or, dare I say it self-catering) makes more sense for the reasons you mention.

Talking of the Post, I believe they have anew Apres ski bar opening this year. It's hard to judge exactly where it is but I think it could be at the side just down from the Spitzbub. Here's the link https://www.hotelpost-saalbach.at/en/postbar/. Hopefully it will be a little less weird than the existing bar!

Oh no!! A new bar half way from SPitzpub/Bauers to our hotel. May be missing even more evening meals next trip!! Very Happy Very Happy

I doubt they're going to let any old riff raff snowHead in you know Smile.

Seriously, it looks quite posh. I hope they don't have a 'no ski boots' policy.

Anyhow, apres ski in doors really is cheating. Everyone knows that real men stay outside.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Everyone knows that real men stay outside.

Except at the Hinterhag Alm Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you as always, Mr Tatman Very Happy
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Everyone knows that real men stay outside.

Except at the Hinterhag Alm Toofy Grin

Talking of the Hinterhag Alm, I do need to brush up on my Apres Ski skills. We've actually only been to the Hinterhag Alm once and probably got there a little too late as it was absolutely rammed. So much so that you couldn't move and we kept getting our drinks knocked. Rather frustrating, even for the most enthusiastic drinker. So what's the best time to get there and what's the best strategy for getting a little breathing space and still be where the action is?

Secondly, the one time we went to the Goastaall it was really quiet (maybe 4pm ish). What time does it get going?

Thirdly, I know this is a bit of a wimpy question, but if enjoying happy hour at the Berger Alm, what happens if you have a tumble on the ski back down. Is there any piste patrol still running?

Finally, any idea if Spacey is back at the Spitzbug this year? I know its proper cheese but a good laugh nonetheless.
latest report
Quote:

Talking of the Hinterhag Alm, I do need to brush up on my Apres Ski skills. We've actually only been to the Hinterhag Alm once and probably got there a little too late as it was absolutely rammed. So much so that you couldn't move and we kept getting our drinks knocked. Rather frustrating, even for the most enthusiastic drinker. So what's the best time to get there and what's the best strategy for getting a little breathing space and still be where the action is?

When we're gearing up for a session there, we find it helpful to send someone to grab a table early - a useful job for a non-skier or someone who doesn't mind an early finish. You can also try to book a table a day or two ahead by speaking to Milan (burly waiter upstairs) or Stefan (bespectacled waiter downstairs). The best tables are those around the bottom of the stairs, or the ones in the far corner upstairs, or behind the bar upstairs. It pays to have someone there by 3.30pm. The party starts at 4.00pm, and it's advisable for all or most members of the party to get there for then. If you turn up at 4.30, any table that you might have reserved may well have been grabbed by someone else. If you can't get a table, the best places to stand are either side of the stage upstairs. Sometimes you can strike lucky by arriving (from the Bergeralm or the Maisalm) at around 5.30-6.00pm - sometimes tables are vacated (e.g. by people who have no stamina, or who have unwisely booked half board and have to get back to their hotels to get changed for dinner), and you can grab a good table for the second half of the party. You can usually get a table in the annex (to the right as you enter through the main door), but it pays to keep an eye out for a better table in the main room, so that you can move if one becomes available. It's worth going upstairs and getting involved in the party - the delicate flowers who seem to have to sit at a table downstairs or in the annex, and who never venture upstairs, always seem to miss out on the essence of the place and the fairly electric atmosphere that is whipped up by the band during the course of a typical evening. Anyone who needs fresh air or a fag break is advised to nip out of the back door on to the balcony. There will always be those who can't see past the fact that it's noisy, humid and crowded, and that you inevitably get jostled; however, as many have discovered, it's worth sticking with it until the penny eventually drops and they discover that it's all good-humoured fun and possibly the best party they have experienced.
Quote:

Secondly, the one time we went to the Goastaall it was really quiet (maybe 4pm ish). What time does it get going?

Strange, it's usually going by 4pm - was it an unusual day or time of the season?
Quote:

Thirdly, I know this is a bit of a wimpy question, but if enjoying happy hour at the Berger Alm, what happens if you have a tumble on the ski back down. Is there any piste patrol still running?

I wouldn't rely on it, although we have had occasions when people have had one too many at the Bergeralm and have to be scooped up and carried down on a skidoo. Skiing down after happy hour (in our case around 5.15-5.30pm, after the piste bashers have come up and groomed the pistes)) is really only for competent skiers. Less confident skiers should set off early - they don't want to be struggling down in the dark.
Quote:

Finally, any idea if Spacey is back at the Spitzbug this year? I know its proper cheese but a good laugh nonetheless.

Spacey is the apres-ski king - ask kooky and scarpa! I think it is virtually certain that he will be presiding as usual at the Spitzbub on Tuesdays and Thursdays (early evening till 7.30pm).
snow conditions
Thanks for the round up @tatmanstours, just to refresh my slightly pickled memory, where is The Spitzbub?
latest report
Opposite Bauer's. Slightly less cheesy music apart from when Spacey is there! Seems to have got popular in the past two years. Cute blond barmaid, hope she's back this year. I prefer it to Bauer's
snow report
Can I put in a quiet shout for Burgi's as a smaller, more relaxed apres ski stop off if anyone wants to avoid the noisiest choons (although they still play apres music). It's an outdoor bar just along from Bauer's at the foot of the Kohlmais runs.
latest report
honved wrote:
Can I put in a quiet shout for Burgi's as a smaller, more relaxed apres ski stop off if anyone wants to avoid the noisiest choons (although they still play apres music). It's an outdoor bar just along from Bauer's at the foot of the Kohlmais runs.

Shout away! We shall endeavor to try it and and will also give the Goatstaal and Hinterhag Alm another try this year.
ski holidays
What is nice about these apres-ski bars along Schiliftstrasse (just down the road from us) is that each has its individual character. Bauers Schialm is of course the biggest and brashest, with several bars both outside and inside the Alm (which can be so crowded that it makes even the Hinterhag seem civilised). For some reason I particularly like Bauers when it's snowing and people get dancing in the outside area.

Then there's the afore-mentioned Spitzbub, on the opposite side of the street from Bauers, which has a more personal feel, both around the rectangular outside bar, and inside the small interior bar. The music can also be better there, and Spacey whips up one hell of a party. Apart from his obvious comedic and linguistic skills, he's a man of many parts: accomplished rock and acoustic guitarist (when doing his late evening gigs in Bobby's and the Oetzi Bar), all-round entertainer (when doing his early Tuesday and Thursday evening gigs at Spitzbub), and ski instructor with a difference - I once saw him with a class of students, all lined up on the piste and singing at the top of their voices. Later in the evening the Spitzbub is one of those intimate, little bars, where you can chat with the bar staff and other customers who happen to be in there - often no more than a handful - and Kristian, one of the owners, will play whatever music you may want to hear. Compared with most places you go in and around Saalbach, the music that you will hear in there (later in the evening) is likely to be in good taste - more Led Zeppelin than Tony Christie, if you know what I mean.

Burgi's, which is next to Bauers and looks little more than a semi-enclosed shack, is quite famous - one of those bars that the cognoscenti will choose to go to, as it has a more authentic and less touristy feel to it. The owner, Burgi, is a friendly elderly lady, who clearly loves serving her customers to steaming, potent mugs of gluhwein and jagatee. Like the Spitzbub, you get the feeling in this bar that lively conversation, and getting to know the people around you, is more the order of the day than the unrestrained partying that you tend to get in the more impersonal Bauers.
latest report
Since I come from Slovenia, where we have our version of cheese music

Sample 1

Sample 2

Sample 3

I will be delighted to know if there are bars with more...khm..."normal" music? Otherwise my livers will not not be my friends...
latest report
@matejp, Refreshingly politically incorrect, after some of the recent silliness that has been making the headlines over here! Love the TR3 by the way - the Slovenians have such great taste - one of my favourite countries!

There's only one answer to your videos -
http://youtube.com/v/s8kdFHVLo1M
snow report
@tatmanstours, talking about fun evening, one of our best was a Bauers when they had some milky liqueur promotion night. Sounds crap doesn't it but if you can imagine some Calvin Harris (or similar) tunes played on the accordion (cheese style), with some very enthusiastic traditional Austrian dancing on the stage (with full national dress) and a few hundred people cheering them on you might get an idea of what it was like. Hilariously brilliant in other words!
snow conditions
@PeteMan, Sounds great, as does that milky liqueur concoction.
ski holidays
@honved, +1 for Burgi’s, now my favourite apres bar in Saalbach
latest report
And they're off! Webcam shows lifts lifting and skiers skiing!

I can't wait!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with all the comments re Spitzpub, Bauers and Burgi’s. Very friendly staff inside Spitzpub and a nice cosy feel when it gets colder outside. Re Bauers, I didn’t even realise they had an indoor bar area till our third night!!! Burgis also a nice bar with very friendly owner and as I recall, slightly cheaper drink prices.

Next trip I need to get to the following venues which I missed last season:

Underbar
Otzi bar
Zum Turm
Castello
Kuhstall
Backstattstall
latest report
I remember wandering into the inside of Bauer's one afternoon, expedition to be quiet and it was literally like New Year's Eve in there!

The Bigfoot bar is also often worth a stop on your way down the hill.
snow conditions
Is anyone in Saalbach yet?

No reports or comments for over a fortnight, I'm needing my fix!
snow conditions
@gandie, Oh, oh...what seems to have happened here is that espri opened another similarly titled thread, so comments and updates have been split between the two threads. Mea culpa, because, even though this is the "Official Unofficial" one, I put the following update on the other one late on Wednesday night:
"Just a brief first report. Arrived in Saalbach this afternoon (most of the seats on my Eurowings flight were empty). A day of brilliant sunshine, blue sky and cold air temps. Haven't been up yet, but the pistes look as fantastic as I'd anticipated - nicely groomed and hardly anyone on them. The streets are snow-covered, and I encountered a few people I knew on the way to the shops - all were very pumped about the fabulous early conditions, as well as the prospects for more of the same. The few people in ski gear, whom I saw relaxing with a beer at Burgi's and the Spitzbub looked very happy too. I know that none of this is news, but really, it's worth emphasizing that it's all pretty idyllic. It's pretty cold out there, and all the visible snow cannons on Kohlmais, Bernkogel and Schattberg are blasting away, adding to the atmosphere. The Schattberg Xpress lift station car park is being turned into an open-air auditorium for this weekend's "Rave On Snow". I met the guys from the Underbar, walking through the village, and they confirmed that the Underbar will be open every evening from tomorrow onwards - the same guitarist as last year is returning (and he did pretty well)."

Mrs TT have been breaking in our ski legs gently over the last couple of days on the Kohlmais and Bernkogel, but other friends, who have more limited time here (including @matejp, who may chip in at some point) have been going at it hell for leather and coming back with rave reports of wonderful deep powder. It's been snowing almost constantly since we arrived on Wednesday - today heavily all day. The already more than ample snow depths have probably been topped up by a further 50cm. In accordance with my usual custom after a 05.00am apres-ski finish (courtesy of the Schattberg Stub'n, Bobby's, Underbar, Stamperl and Castellos), I haven't done much today. However I did soften my views on drum and bass rave music and even learned how to put both hands above my head, palms downwards, and move them back and forth to the music. I won't be sorry however to see the end of the "Rave on Snow" annual weekend event, which certainly drew plenty of young people (the Hinterhag was absolutely packed yesterday afternoon, and it's a wonder that the reverberating "music" didn't trigger a few avalanches).

Other apres-ski news: the Hotel Post has constructed and opened a snazzy-looking new bar in the village centre, Mango's has a new downstairs bar, called the "Crazy Deer", manned apparently by a former Dutch professional rugby player, and the Baeckstaettstall has just been sold to the owners of the Hotel Saalbacherhof and is therefore under new management. I have yet to suss out these places.

Otherwise it appears to be business as usual. Bobby's starts its full evening menu next week, and, from what I could see, the already very reasonable prices seem to be, if anything, even cheaper (8 euros for an excellent pizza). The same live singer/guitarist as last year is returning to the Underbar after Christmas. (It's been an excellent atmosphere in the Underbar this week, by the way). Unfortunately Spacey is not yet in town, so the apres still feels a bit low key. With all this deep snow everywhere, it's easy to forget that it's still only mid-December and things are yet to really get going.
snow report
Absolutely fabulous snow conditions in Saalbach. It was snowing regulary from Thursday resulting in at least 50 cm of new snow on the mountain and around 35 cm in the villiage. Sometimes pistes seem like off-piste because of all the new snow.

On Saturday we had a blast near Schoneleiten and Magic 6er lift due to the 10-15 cm of overnight snow falling on the bashed pistes. It was so good that we did two or three runs on the same piste only to see our trails on snow. Later we followed the patchy sun to the Leogang...

On Friday we were riding ski routes near Fieberbrun...again no one around with perfect snow...

The only downside was a bad visibility at times (fog and heavy snow) but we were prepared for this.

@tatman: Thank you again for your Saalbach insights and I hope we will see you again this season.
snow report
Good snow on the piste making it feel like off piste, visibility today could be a challenge swinging from clear to where's the piste, we skied around the Schonleiten 6er , the Magic 6er and the Panorama 6er, its was our first day and didn't want anything too challenging! lunched at the Berger Alm (spam and a fried egg) finished on a deserted 51, tons of snow on it ended with a visit to Burgi's, hoping 68 might open up which @tatmanstours, has told us about and then we can get to sample Hecherhutte. One disappointment Restaurant Wallner is no more, where to go for a late meal and a pizza? Where the door was is now a solid wall, the Pension is still there, on a positive the lamb cutlets at Del Rossi are as good as ever

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 18-12-17 7:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

snow report
Quote:

One disappointment Restaurant Wallner is no more, where to go for a late meal and a pizza? Where the door was its solid wall

That's news to me! We were going there last night but saw it all in darkness and assumed it hasn't opened yet. Didn't notice a wall had replaced the door, as we doubled back down the street as soon as we saw it was closed. Something that needs investigating. Bobby's is of course available for late evening pizzas (and also the Stamperl take-away), and earlier in the evening there is the Schattberg Stub'n and the Trattoria, but Wallners did the best ones in Saalbach IMHO.
ski holidays
Brilliant reports and updates, thanks everyone!!

Suprised to see the snow depth on the mountain only reporting 100cm this morning. I think it was reporting that on Friday morning??!!
snow conditions
radar wrote:

Here's the chalet that we stayed in, right in the village centre... Yeah I know it says M-Preis on the sign, but that's a mistake...
ski holidays
@jimmybog, Don’t take too much notice of the website. I checked it earlier today and found that piste 68 is inexplicably closed. However the good news is that the website is wrong about that 😀
latest report
great skiing today, not a blue bird day , but good, headed up the Shatterberg Express, view across the valley

Headed down 2b, fought our way through the crowds (Edit i have tried to get the photo the right way round and failed)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 19-12-17 10:04; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy