Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre season Quiver Games

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The Down preseason sale has me thinking...

My current quiver:

Praxis Freerides 174 - Do everything, resort some day touring
Praxis GPO 182 - Resort powder
DPS Lotus 120 Hybrid 178 - Powder day touring
Down Countdown 102 179 - Euro touring
All of them are in great shape except for the Freerides which have too many mounts.

The Freerides are probably what I use most but they have a tech binding on them and no room for a remount so this is obviously non ideal for my everyday ski, and needs a replacement.
I could do a 'like for like' replacement, but as I get older I'm getting fewer days skiing and having to travel all the time so I'm also wondering whether I should try to reduce the quiver in size.
I'll likely always keep the Lotus as the perfect Canada backcountry touring rig, but I'm wondering if I got something like the Coundown 104 whether it could replace my Freerides and my Countdown 102.
Countdown102 is great for touring, but basically has no sidecut so is less fun if I end up on daddy duty skiing pistes. The 104 has a bit more sidecut.

Oh - for bindings I ski tele, but basically have a light tech based touring binding and a heavier resort binding and I can switch between the two with QK inserts (except on the Freerides which have too many holes in them).

So hit me with your suggestions be they specific 'do everything' skis in the 100-105 range through to complete quiver overhauls Smile

Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know what you stats are but FWIW I m 210 lbs 186 cm and have enjoyed the DPS wailer 99 191? and the Volkl BMT 109 186 as "daily driver" skis for the last few seasons . And both obviously capable off piste - but the Volkl has no "pop" to speak of, it s all. -ve camber so starvey but no little bounce.

I m also looking at this space in my quiver as well and these are exactly the 2 skis that pop up so I'm interested to see what the sale actuLly shows up!

I have been on a DPS 106 last year but it didn't seem to behave like either the 99 or the old 112 - the front "paddle" seemed more hooky or at any rate less consistent so I would try and demo rather than buy blind. There are some interesting new pieces from Black Crows as well coming in the 100+ as well on paper.

Good deals on the Faction ten5 right now too - and super cheap pivots with it

I have even been looking at the Volkl one hundred 8 and ninety 8 as they are heftier versions of the BMT , negative camber but if like the Bmt 109 will carve really well and pivot easy .

G3 synapse 101? Too soft??

If you fancy an exotic dabble look at the stereo skis and extrem - 2 little known Scandi brands...

Is that enough to chew on???

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oops those factions may have gone now , apologies
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the thoughts.

Not generally any opportunity to demo due to time and the fact that nobody has demo skis mounted tele, so I have to use a combination of voodoo and interrogation techniques.

My stats are 67kg / 173cm

DPS - Wasn't a big fan of the wailer 112 which I found to be great in the trees but too twitchy when opened up.

My vague shortlist (which isn't very consistent) if anyone wants to chip in with thoughts included Black Crows Navis (possibly freebird), Countdown 104, Fischer Ranger 98 ti, Whitedot R98/108, Dynafit Meteorite

I haven't been a fan of the G3 skis that I have tried with the exception of the Reverend (going back a few years).

I'll have a look at those scandi brands - not heard of them.

Ben
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BenA,
Looking at what you have, personally I'd be looking at the narrower end of the range. When you are on daddy duty and the pistes are hard a somewhat narrower ski is just more fun. Whitedot R98 would be good and I like the look of the Ranger 98 but haven't skied it.
As far as Euro touring is concerned that covers a multitude of activities but while I like my R108CL for side country and early season powder touring, I have conclusively proven to myself that it is too wide for skittering about on downward traverses on neve in the high mountains late season. You can do it of course but the extra weight you have hauled up doesn't buy you anything in most classic ski touring conditions.
If I was going to buy an out and out touring ski today I'd probably go 88mm.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Come to think of it I might also consider Mantras and Bonafides
suspect either of those would make daddy duty skiing more rewarding!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jedster - I think that is sound advice. Having not had a ski less than 107 for some time I probably wouldn't jump too narrow, but perhaps 95-100 ish and but light enough for a bit of touring as well....

I could then sell the countdown 102 if I could get anything for them (they are in perfect condition).

So my shortlist would probably be:

Black Crows Navis / Navis Freebird
Whitedot R98 / R98 Carbonlight
Salomon QST99 (or even 92?)
Fischer Ranger 98ti

Does anyone have any experience of any of the above?
Anyone have any comparison of the carbonlight vs trad whitedots or the freebirds vs normal Navis? I'm typically skeptical of skis that are too light (much prefered the DPS hybrid construction to the carbon).

Of that list the Whitedots stand out as having a longer radius - perhaps better for the tour but less attractive for daddy duty...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 3-09-17 19:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BenA, my son skis on Whitedot Ranger 98 CLs everywhere. (Well, he has to. He can't afford a quiver yet). He loves them (actually he just told me in a message that he doesn't need other skis!), and is plenty fast. He weighs about 85kg now (just much taller than me).

My experience with the Ranger 108 CLs: very maneuverable ski. On piste: easy to turn due to flat camber but not really a carving ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jedster, current Mantras (haven't tried the coming season's) are a little twitchy to my taste. Bonafides, having purchased them, I like a lot.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for the Bonafides Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

My experience with the Ranger 108 CLs: very maneuverable ski. On piste: easy to turn due to flat camber but not really a carving ski.

bang on
You can flick the tails around easily when you need to.
There is enough running length to carve decent long turns (much better than say my redeemers) but the short/flat tail means you can't really carve shorter turns at high edge angles (the tail will break away if you really load it).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimastaaah, what length? what stats are you? I'm 5' 6" and 60kgs, went 173. 180s very nice but a little unresponsive at my weight.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BenA, I don't think there is any point in buying a carbon ski and then putting a frame or alpine binding on it. If you are retiring the Praxis Freerides because you don't want to do everything with a pin binding then that may be a factor. I'd kick the CL 98 and the Freebirds out of consideration on that basis. I'd be minded to keep the CD102s and add an everyday ski.

I am in the 100-110 with a touring binding camp for an everyday ski but then I am 13kg heavier than you are. Currently, I am running a 179 99mm carbon touring ski with dynafits, a 184 Atris with pin bindings and an R.108 with barons. Both the Atris and the R.108 are really good skis.

The Atris is softer up front, has more sidecut and more but not much more early rise in the tail than the R.108. It is more nimble and is noticeably better than the R.108 for Dad skiing. It is a bunch easier to ski at low speeds. That said, it isn't a carving ski - the tip doesn't really engage and it needs to be skied from underfoot.

The R.108 is no slouch but is more at home in open terrain and has a lot of top end. It will ski well on piste but needs to be worked by the pilot. It also wants to go fast (stiff plus 28m sidecut, go figure).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gorilla I skied the Atris a fair bit, so that gives me a good reference point. I really found the Atris too soft up front though.

I generally agree about carbon skis (although I typically use QK's to swap between my tech binding and my resort binding). I can tour on any of my bindings as they are tele, but the tech ones are much lighter.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I ski the Witedot Preacher mounted with 22 Design Outlaw telemark binding, it's 112 underfoot, but has a carving radius of 19m (189cm ski). I have the carbonlite version and it does everything well - I tour on it, ride in bounds and deep powder ( when I can find it) and it is a great telemark ski. it it just not that great if you session the zip line in the bumps... Wink. It will ski everything well, best ne ski quiver I have ever used. Now on my second pair.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy