Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1 week ski course - Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there is a similar thread already but I am looking specifically for a 1-week ski course in the Alps mid-late January. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Ideally I would like it to be not too expensive. I consider myself a good intermediate skier. Happy on all pisted runs. Calving and short turns are coming along well but could be better. Not so confident on moguls and never skied off-piste.

Any recommendation or ideas would be gratefully received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @MancSkier,

Have you looked at Inside Out's trips, e.g. http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html#5 - they certainly cater to the 'good intermediate' market - I did a different course of theirs in that resort last year and it was great (And the snow making is excellent, so no need to worry about snow cover)

You might also look at a Bash, e.g. the MyAshBash (where tuition is available - although probably more aimed at beginners / early improvers) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715

Being Italy there won't be a mogul in sight on either of those. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tubaski wrote:
Hi @MancSkier,

Have you looked at Inside Out's trips, e.g. http://www.insideoutskiing.com/holidays.html#5 - they certainly cater to the 'good intermediate' market - I did a different course of theirs in that resort last year and it was great (And the snow making is excellent, so no need to worry about snow cover)

You might also look at a Bash, e.g. the MyAshBash (where tuition is available - although probably more aimed at beginners / early improvers) http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52715

Being Italy there won't be a mogul in sight on either of those. Toofy Grin

Thanks for that! Yes looked at Insideout and that is the level I am looking for - unfortunately they don't seem to be going the week I want to go to tie in with another trip... however, definite possibility.

I would like something gnarlier than the MyAshBash I think.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
UCPA might be worth a look if you haven't already. Different courses in different areas but could probably suit, in particular something that involves an intro to off piste. Not done a trip myself but plenty of others have and recommend it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
UCPA might be worth a look if you haven't already. Different courses in different areas but could probably suit, in particular something that involves an intro to off piste. Not done a trip myself but plenty of others have and recommend it.

Thanks for that. Looked at their website and they seem to offer the best options I've seen.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Check Snoworks also
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also Icesi in Val D Isere- http://www.icesi.org/ski-performance-course.asp
They do one week courses in Jan which slot into the longer courses they do for keen recreational skiers and BASI qualifications. We did 4 weeks with them in Jan 2016 and we had some people join for a week at atma time as we went along. Fantastic tuition from Mark Jones, Rupert Tildesley, Dave Cowell..cannot speak highly enough.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Warren Smith would fit the bill. I have done their summer course for a week in Cervinia but hear equally good things about their courses in Verbier
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had an poor experience on a WSSA course in 2016. The instructor was really disinterested, flew through the content with no real regard for whether he was being understood or not by the group. He mumbled and muttered his way through the class.

On final day he turned up late for class - stinking of booze, ended up having to urgently take us down the bottom of the mountain as he needed to "use the toilet - an emergency"... we heard later he was in Pub Mon Fort the previous night (St Patricks day) trying to beat the town record for downing pints of Guinness (15 pints apparently...).

I feel I got between 1.5 - 2 days of focused instruction, the remainder being "follow my tracks" type of stuff interspersed with poorly explained brushed over drills. Our instructor wasn't happy with re-explaining or speaking louder, he just informed the group that he "wasn't going to shout - and was only going to say things once, so get closer if you cannot hear..."

However I decided to give it another shot solely on the basis of the recommendation of two other skiers who were in a higher level (Super Group) running that same week.

When I spoke to the instructor he gave me the strong impression he was completely disinterested in his job, perhaps suffering from fatigue...

2017 was better - the instructor was more motivated to teach skiing. I got more from the course, improved a bit. However I feel the ski-off grading process is flawed and significantly affects the weeks experience as skiing ability is not well matched in the groups (single run on piste - lazy in selection, with no reassignment even if end of day you see someone has been clearly incorrectly placed). This could be easily be improved with minimal impact on customer experience yet the instructors just don't seem to bother.

WSSA are excellent in marketing their product, however the course description doesn't match the experience. Theres so much that Warren talks about online in v-logs and in person (ski meetings in stores in UK) that simply doesn't happen on the course. He talks about help in ski selection, adjusting your boots, watching videos in the evening, etc.. the instructors aren't really interested in that at all.

the video analysis is overblown - there are short video clips taken on 2 days - you will be filmed 4 times over 2 days, 2 quick drill runs and 2 short ski runs. Your viewing will be carried out during the ski day on the mountain in a ski shop, and requires you to sit through other groups videos. It can take a while to get through... the site suggests its done evenings in hotel but its not. You lose ski time, which isn't great.

I suspect that as the brand has grown, and Warren becomes increasingly distanced from the business, the experience on the ground simply doesn't line up with the marketing. The instructors seem overworked, fatigued by repetitive courses, and really disinterested in communicating content.

I have heard great things about WSSA in the early days, but based on my two trips it seems the standard of old has slipped somewhat.

I did send feedback to WSSA and received a very defensive response, with zero interest expressed in following up with me on the issues I raised. Although I did note the individual was also an instructor on the course... which doesn't really bode well for impartiality on my feedback.

I'd like to be able to provide feedback to Warren directly - I sense the increased media exposure has meant the quality of product delivered to the masses has diminished.

It’s a pity because if it matched course description it would be a fantastic product. If you are Level 4 on WSSA scale, I would consider looking at alternatives.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kavanator, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kavanator,

Many of your points i have some empathy for.
WS himself tirelessly works hard to promote WSSA. As in any organisation, some staff are fully and proactively on the same page and have masses of teaching and high personal communication skills whilst others, although adequately complying to the syllabus WSSA ( you can bet Warren has personally vetted them), will not be as enthusiastic and nor will process the 'eye' and 'toolbox' of an experienced 'ski teacher'. As i understand it, all WSSA courses have 'pre designed' content throughout the week and the degree of sophistication / level is dependent upon the initial 'ski-off' level and class you get selected to go in - all the usual stuff and very 'normal ski school' practice. In a class of 6 or 8, it's very difficult for the Instructor to concentrate much on anybodies particular short comings - there just isn't the time.
I too felt the brilliance of Warrens video's and was quite underwhelmed by the delivery of the course. However, i was in the minority of the weeks clients thinking that way and not enjoying themselves. I think also the course would've better during the proper winter and not done in the summer on a glacier.

What i have to admit to, is that i've never been on a weeks ski course without a few gripes / niggles bouncing around in my head. I don't take instruction for too long before i start thinking this could all be done better!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MancSkier, check out snoworks. We can highly recommend and would tick all the boxes for what you are looking for. Not sure what you consider expensive; but IMO well worth the money.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kavanator, I trust you complained about the first course? Did you get any redress? Drunk and disinterested instructors shouldn't be allowed on the mountain IMHO
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

In a class of 6 or 8, it's very difficult for the Instructor to concentrate much on anybodies particular short comings - there just isn't the time.

Not if they are any good at their job wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try Mark Gear in Chamonix. Top quality and proper top guy. Knows his stuff inside out and no bs. Only problem is trying to get on a course!

http://allmountainperformance.com/about-amp/meet-mark-gear/

One good bonus is easy to fly into Geneva and get up to Cham quite easily. Physically demanding ... Well it was for me! Good investment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy