Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@willirvine, We are there on 18th March next 2018 and were in Peisey at the other end of Les Arcs around the same time this year.

There was a good amount of snow around although Peisey itself didn't have much except for the home run on the piste. We skied around the Arc 2000 area quite a lot though and there was loads of snow there as it is so much higher which is why we booked for there this year.

The real advantage of going that late is that the snowpack should be well established but the weather is a lot more pleasant - particularly for wife and kids!! In fact, it was t-shirt weather for much of our trip earlier this year which is probably the only reason my wife agreed to going again this year!!! I am off to Val D'isere next week on a lads jaunt and that is likely to be a bit colder!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi All - sorry for gap in reporting. Been a little traumatic getting home. First of all one of the chains broke (bloody hire cars) , delaying us on the descent by about 45 mins, until we decided to go with just one - which was OK as it was snowing all the way down So then we were too late to miss the Moutiers snarl up - took 6 hours from Arcs 1950 to there: from there raced to Grenoble in pouring rain to at least get the hire car back within its time limit, even if as feared, we'd missed the plane, arriving at 3.59pm for a 3.40pm flight.

So then what? No seats out of Grenoble - or at least, that's what check-in staff said. See later. Grrr.

Going to share a minibus taxi with some other stranded waifs who had managed to book a flight from Lyon - but nothing left for us. So decided to go anyway, get a hotel at the airport, and book SNCF / Eurostar combo from Lyon. Mind you, taxi's were at a premium, as most of them were stuck up the mountains too, and we waited near on three hours to finally get moving.

So it all sort of worked out But at €210 for the taxi from Grenoble to Lyon, plus £669 for three of us on the train, plus €180 for the hotel, plus, plus plus... look: We're home; we're safe; (OK, 22 hours late, and over a grand light in the wallet) but it could have been a lot worse.

And we met two delightful families on the way (one of whom should have been on the 9.20pm flight out of Grenoble along with 20 other people on their bus, but whose TO hadn't phoned the airport to let them know they weren't going to get there, so that we could have / would have bought their seats...) so you know, it wasn't ALL bad.

My philosophical learning for this is: without storms, there is no powder. A life lived without the occasional down, doesn't get to enjoy the ups.

Back to trains in future though.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 31-12-17 15:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hyst wrote:
Hyst wrote:
Anybody know a good breakfast cafe in Plan Peisey? Not many choices as far as I remember. Puzzled

@snowcrazy, Something you could put on the list of info if possible? Of course not only for Peisey Vallandry area, but the other once as Well? Just a suggestion Embarassed

If you are anywhere near 1950 for breakfast, thoroughly recommend the Wood Bear Cafe. Sebastien rustles up a mean scrambled-egg-bacon-and/or-salmon-in-a-bagel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tonyswift Thanks! What should i be expecting the crowds to be like that time of year? Never been so late in the season before. I know some of the UK are on holiday that week (me included) and also the Austrians are on holidays so not sure what to expect crowd wise!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After the soaking yesterday the pistes froze overnight. It was almost like spring skiing today - except the pistes never really softened. The riverlets in the snow formed from the rain made some pretty patterns There was quite a lot closed due to a 4/5 avalanche risk. The combination of some lifts being closed and the New Year crowds meant there were some fair sized lift queues in places. Some were over 5 minutes. The amin bottlenecks were: Arpette, Derby and Arcabuse. No suprise there.

@Arctic Roll, It is what is known in cibming circles as an "epic". Was the extra expense covered by insurance? I know it would not be on my travel insurance. Out of curiosity is it not possible to get a shuttle bus into Grenoble and get the train from there. I know Grenoble airport is nowhere near Grenoble.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@willirvine, I never think as March 24th as late in the season. There is at least another month to go. Anyway we cannot forecast what weather will be like 3 months in advance. The practical liomit is about 5 days. However my experience of over 30 years of Easter skiing is that there is usually skiable snow and the equinox storms often bring some of the best powder of the season. I think most Easters in Les Arcs we have skied down to Villaroger. The important thing is to remember the factor 50 suncream.

I will be out that fortnight and I am not expecting any problems with snow
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@willirvine, We went very much out of any school holidays (just took ours out of school!!) and found it perfect in terms of numbers. Very few queues for lifts etc but enough people around for a good atmosphere and so that you don't feel you are in a dead resort. And, although the snow was a bit spring-like lower down in the afternoon, the balance in terms of milder conditions and warm sunshine was definitely worth it in terms of a family holiday!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
New Year's Eve and the sun came out! Pity was the rain from yesterday afternoon made all that great snow off piste turn to breakable crust and also very unstable.

What should we do?! As always the Col de Chal was the answer! Safe as long as you took a careful line and maybe we could get lucky and find some better snow.

The pistes are crazy busy right now as it is HIGH SEASON week! Took an hour with lift queues to get from Arc 1600 to the top of the Transarc. All the pistes that were open were in great condition after the fresh snow, but people are flying around everywhere! Many out of control! Take care! The 'On Piste" risk level is 4 right now! You need eyes everywhere!

Time to head into the back country.

Although the snow was breakable crust or very firm most of the time we did find a few (very few) good patches to make some nice turns. The stars today were the Mum's! Some great skiing and even a nice powder turn!

Made it down with almost everyone having a fall or two, but still arriving in one piece. Then a bus ride back to Piesey and lunch at the Solan before heading across Les Arcs and a quick ski through the snow park and home.

An interesting and challenging day with some great views and almost NO people despite the resort being full! It is always nice to have first tracks down any route even if the conditions are not that great!

Tomorrow the forecast is not so good with clouds, snow and maybe rain! Yuk!

Not sure of our plans yet so anyone wanting to join us please PM me for further details. We will be skiing somewhere!

Photos from today are on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page in today's post! Enjoy! Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@johnE,

Yes, we could have got a shuttle bus / train combo, except... The original taxi was "I'm an hour away" and was a minbus / 10 seater which would have done both families, total 7 pax, for €300, so not bad: only 2 hours later did it transpire he was a lying little whatsit, and was stuck in Meribel...

The traffic between the airport and Grenoble itself was also stacked up due to an accident - we passed at least 5km of stationary when heading out, so were not too bothered as the shuttle was going to be a long one as well. By the time we'd found out the truth, I think we were all too tired to make a bus, a train, and a further connection!

We're going to try insurance, but honestly, I too don't think they cover that sort of thing - our fault, should have left earlier ( I thought 7 hours for a 3 hours journey was sufficient wriggle room but live and learn eh?), but if you don't ask...

We too will be out week of March 24th, and am quite happy the snow will be sufficient for a week's worth. OK, last year similar time, Villaroger was a challenge, and we couldn't get to La Ferme in Peisey (bottom of Combe) , but there was still plenty of good stuff higher up to keep us occupied for the week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Arctic Roll, Epic - well done for staying stoical.

Good luck with the insurance claim. I changed my policy a couple of years ago to one that covers costs incurred due to weather related delays / cancellations such as those you incurred. Lloyds TSB
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arctic Roll, sounds like a pretty dreadful journey but good attitude!

Full marks to those clearing the roads (and the sun/rain for assisting) - I drove in to Les Arcs this afternoon without any difficulty whatsoever. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading to 1950 in a few weeks time, after staying over in La Plagne last year. Hoping for some good snow at the end of the month.

Do any regulars know a good hire shop in 1950? It's confusing, there are like four Precision shops within 50m and two Skisets, plus Intersport as well I think. Looking online, Skiset seems pricier than Precision but I don't mind paying a bit more for good service and kit. We have an apartment in Prince des Cimes.

Cheers
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mrecho, the guys in your building are as good as anyone in the village. (tucked behind the Christmas tree, next to the ESF)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammering down with snow again tonight... Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TODAY was a POWDER FEST!!!

What a day! Everywhere we went we had mostly untracked powder up to our waist and sometimes even higher!

Due to the crowds we headed into the off piste right from the start. A fast run back down to the bottom of the cachette chair then over to Arc 1800 by another off piste route. Next the new piste nature and through the trees above Arc 1800 back to the Vagere chair.

Time to head over to Peisey Vallandry and laps down to Nancoix by various routes.

The few pistes we did use today were in great condition after all the fresh snow and you can get everywhere. So far I have not hit even a tiny stone on any piste. Amazing conditions for the beginning of January.

Another great day finished off with a ski down to La Grange and a drink at Charlies!

Tomorrow morning we hope for more of the same before the high winds and more bad weather arrive.

Anyone wanting to join us needs to PM me for meet up details before 9am tomorrow morning.

Photos from today and yesterday will be posted later tonight over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Here are just a few from today to get you wanting more!! The others are even better! Enjoy!
latest report
The livecams are dropping like flys... 2 down, 2 to go
snow report
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
We have purchased les arcs pass do u get a day in la plagne this season or do u have to purchase a different pass
snow conditions
@charlie26, If the pass is 3 days or longer you get a day in La Plagne. Otherwise it is a 30ish euro extension for a day across the Landry valley.
snow conditions
We're coming out to Les Arcs soon, staying in Plan Peisey. Can anyone recommend any good places for lunch at a reasonable price. Ideally we're looking for places that serve simple food like onion soup, tartiflette, steak hache, etc. and maybe a plat du jour (i.e. not burger and chips joints). Slight preference for self service, but also happy to have recommendations for waiter services places.
snow report
Thanks has that changed from last season I'm sure it was local area only thanks we have a 6 day pass so all is good
snow report
Latest from the Les Arcs Facebook feed:

� STORMY WEATHER�

Strong winds and massive snowfalls are expected for the next few days. Information you must know about :

� Join or leave Les Arcs : road will be cleared 24H/24. Be careful on the roads, special equipments required to drive safely
� Arc 2000 & 1950 : stay informed about the road closures
� Permanence at the parking Lac des Combes at Arc 2000 and the entrance of Arc 1800 all nights from tonight to saturday morning
� Ski : most of the ski resort will be closed for security reasons !
� Infos live : follow the news on our Facebook and Instagram stories, and also on Twitter
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
The livecams are dropping like flys... 2 down, 2 to go

I don't know what they're doing with the livecams - the Vagere webcam has disappeared from the list but it's still running here
latest report
Hi, I know this is the wrong thread, but it’s the most active. Love les arc and hoping to go to either 1800 or 1950/2000 for a week between 27 jan and 10 Feb. Just wondered if any snow heads are going to be there. I’ve been before on my own but always nice to know someone in the evening or to ski with. I’m late 30s and an intermediate, partial to drink and trying out the local food. Thanks andy
snow conditions
@Alastair, Thanks for the info, but what does
Quote:

� Permanence at the parking Lac des Combes at Arc 2000 and the entrance of Arc 1800 all nights from tonight to saturday morning

mean?
latest report
@johnE, your guess is as good as mine but I expect it means that the parking offices will be open.
snow report
Don't know if you've seen the Val Thorens thread, but they're shutting the place down and advising people to stay inside. Looks like that's the same for LA
snow report
@Alastair, Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Crystal are saying on their Les Arcs specific twitter that it’s being advised that everyone is inside their accommodation by 4pm today
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
@johnE, your guess is as good as mine but I expect it means that the parking offices will be open.

Based on http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/permanence
I think you're right. There will always be someone there to help those arriving/trying to leave.
ski holidays
What a day!! Rain, Sleet, Snow and High Winds! It has been quite a storm already and it has not finished yet! The rain is predicted to turn to snow during the night. Then back to rain again tomorrow. Many roads in the mountains around the area have been closed tonight so I hope anyone traveling made it home. I did not ski today, but was told it was a very wet day on the lower slopes that stayed open.

Les Arcs
7 hrs ·
� ACCESS TO ARC 2000/1950

� Road closed to any vehicle at 4:00pm. Access forbidden from Wednesday to Thursday.

� Last shuttle departing Arc 1600 for Arc 2000 at 3:00 pm
� Last shuttle departing Arc 2000 for Arc 1600 at 3:50 pm

One good thing about Les Arcs is that you always have the Funi so tomorrow as long as it does snow and not continue to rain we should get a few turns before the rain comes back.

Another update tomorrow.

New Album for January 2018. I will try to post photos here most days. Enjoy!!
https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1574642905945503

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 3-01-18 21:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Looking forward to sunnier and safer times, a question for you, @snowcrazy:

I know that the Villaroger run from Grand Col is subject to the Vanoise nature reserve restriction and that the run along the ridge from the Lanchettes chair to above the Solliet restaurant is not (having enjoyed both of these with you in years gone by). But is the Combe des Lanchettes itself subject to the restriction? I am reading conflicting information from different sources.
ski holidays
@sproggski, yes the Combe des Lanchettes is in the nature reserve so the same rules apply. Anyone reading this post please be advised that these three routes are avalanche prone and should not be attempted without the full arvi safety gear, knowledge of how to use it and prior knowledge of the routes. Stay safe out there!
ski holidays
@snowcrazy thanks for the report yesterday. Slushy today in Arc2000, but would have been nicely skiable had there been an attempt to open the new and comfy pre st esprit lift (or anything other than a conveyor). With no shuttles running (but road now open) we feel a bit trapped up here... can't work out how to reach the skiing lower down and be able to get back to chalet. Arc2000 was a bit of a mistake for bad weather days... big bits flying off buildings, few bars open, pisting / lift effort all focused lower down. Sad

Is facebook the only place to get decent shuttle information?
ski holidays
Aha.... twitter @LesArcs gives this link.... https://www.lesarcs.com/infos-live/tempete-eleanor.html... looks like they tried.... and failed to open anything in 2000.
latest report
A very wet day in the snow! BUT the wind on this side of the mountain was not as bad as predicted and we had a challenging ski in the poor weather.

Despite the level 5 avalanche warning the conditions on piste today were not as bad as expected. We managed to ski in both the Arc 1600 area and over in Peisey Vallandry and Arc 1800 areas. The pistes were OK to ski although the wet snow made the blue pistes a little slow in places.

The steeper runs were fine although a little bumpy and provided a nice change to the sticky off piste which was best to avoid!

With such a high avalanche risk we stayed on the piste all day and finished off with an easy ski back from Arc 1800 to the Funi and home.

Anyone like us who cannot just sit around at home any longer waiting for the rain to stop. It is worth going up, but you will get very wet! We were soaked through by the time we got down! You need to be aware that the wet heavy snow can slide anytime even on not very steep slopes and be ready to get out of he way. We did see a number of small slides off the side of the piste in various places. Take care and stay safe out there.

Photos from today have been posted in the new Jan 2018 Album. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1574642905945503
latest report
On daytime Eurostar out tomorrow so looking forward to some quiet slopes next week......
latest report
Nighttime Eurostar today. 1 week Arc 1600 then bus up the road for 1 week Val D'Isere.... The excitement is mounting....and that's just from the bar and bra owners who know I'm on the way ! Very Happy
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
On daytime Eurostar out tomorrow so looking forward to some quiet slopes next week......

apart from the Russians celebrating their version of New Year this weekend you mean? Laughing
ski holidays
Arctic Roll wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:

apart from the Russians celebrating their version of New Year this weekend you mean? Laughing

Potentially but there are no school holidays anywhere next week so the resort should be much quieter...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy