Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller, Welcome to my world snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arrived in 2000 yesterday! Morning today was disappointing with all lifts except a couple closed. Wet snow meant for a quick change and then a bus to 1800! Managed to get a few red runs in...

What's the forecast for tomorrow? Any ideas on if the Aguille Rouge will be open?

Willem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Report from Arc 2000. Gave up around 12, conditions looked horrendous out there and with Cachette shut it isn't easy to get to 1800 so we decided to go down to Bourg shopping. The drive down to 1600 on the bus was interesting a little slidy, got out at 1600 to rain. Ugh. In the funni we were talking to some very wet people and they said the snow line was 1700m.

For anyone interested the Lidl in Bourg is a very short walk from the funni. Over the bridge over the railways tracks, follow the path, hit the main road and it is 100 feet on the left.

Got back up to sunshine around 2pm but as soon as we hit 2000 it closed in again. I managed to persuade wife it was a good idea to go out. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin . It wasn't Laughing Laughing . As soon as we got to Marmotte they shut down to pre Saint, avalanche risk, so only a very busy marmotte open. We did what any sensible person would do in these circumstances, we did one run and went into 1950 and the pub. As sports go skiing is one of the best, totally legit to give up and got the pub.

Anyway so ends our day. A howling gale blowing in 2000 and still very heavy snow. Forecast is to die down tomorrow, lets see. If it does there will be lots of blasting before much gets open. Major panic just been told our bread and croissants might be late arriving as 1600-2000 road will be shut early for blasting. Damn....
Only 2 photos today. Top of Marmotte, looking at 2000 around 3pm

Just above 1950 around 3pm, very windy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks pretty grim
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks pretty grim Laughing but it's testament to the mountains that I'd still rather be there than here, haha!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnE, @Jenniper, It was fine, character building. I would have stayed out but wife was having none of it. So we compromised on pub.

As they say, the worst day on the slopes is still better than the best day in work. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dull fact, the new Pre Saint is so fancy a lift they can take all the chairs in if it is very windy. Yesterday was worse and I noticed at one point that all the chairs on Pre Saint were gone. I assume they park them all the far end. Not sure in the age of global warming it is necessary to have warm seats on a chair lift, total waste of energy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:
Not sure in the age of global warming it is necessary to have warm seats on a chair lift, total waste of energy.

Overkill today, but we made it to 1800 and would've liked a cover and heated seats on Charmettoger! What a relic that lift is...

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

W.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Willem, @thefatcontroller, Well done for getting out there today snowHead

Still hammering down I can see from the webcams so tomorrow likely to be be slow starting but then perhaps an epic afternoon... (perhaps!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So just how much new snow has come down then? And how much is still meant to come overnight?

Does anyone have a reliable website for the weather?
Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Les-Arcs/6day/mid

This site has been good to me.

Tomorrow looks OK, but I feel there was more than 4cm today. So it will probably be very similar but a bit colder and hopefully less windy so the lifts are open!

W.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The local weather centre in Bourg St Maurice provide a local forecast
http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-arcs-bourg-st-maurice/73700
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Still blowing a gale and blizzard in 2000. Bashers been and flattened the area twice but tracks already covered. How much has fallen? No idea but its lots, lots....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After a nice weekend of mixed conditions and even some great spring snow today was another wash out! Literally this morning. Heavy rain and gale force winds so almost all lifts closed. I went back to bed. I had a report later that some of the lifts did open, but is was still a mix of sleet and rain on the Arc 1600/1800 side so did not go up in the afternoon either.

Tomorrow we hope should be better. Snowing down to Arc 1600 I have just been told so worth posting some good news.

If it keeps snowing and does not turn to rain again, tomorrow should be fun. Anyone wanting to join us needs to PM me before 9am for meet up details.

Stay safe out there the Arvi risk will go up again after the rain and now more snow!

@Willem, yes we do mostly off piste. Check out the Les Arcs Winter facebook page to see photos of what we do most days. If you have the arvi safety gear and can ski OK get in touch. Maybe we can meet up for a drink and possibly a ski.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Dull fact, the new Pre Saint is so fancy a lift they can take all the chairs in if it is very windy. Yesterday was worse and I noticed at one point that all the chairs on Pre Saint were gone. I assume they park them all the far end. Not sure in the age of global warming it is necessary to have warm seats on a chair lift, total waste of energy.

And when they put them back on the lift, they run the lift backwards - you see them all going up, while facing down...
snow report
French METEO publish RED ALERT tonight!!

Just had a notification! Red alert for roads as another storm passes by tonight! Could be another lock down tomorrow! Crazy weather! If you are driving out tonight or tomorrow you better be prepared for delays. Roads already up the mountains starting to be closed.

http://vigilance.meteofrance.com/Bulletin.html?a=dept73&b=

Avalanche / Red
* Very high risk of avalanche.
* Numerous spontaneous avalanche starts of exceptional magnitude.
* Avoid, except emergency, any movement on highways road sectors.
* Get information from the prefecture of the concerned department.
* Comply strictly with the prohibition and safety measures that are implemented in ski resorts and mountain municipalities.

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/les-arcs-bourg-st-maurice/73700

I will update again in the morning!!
snow report
8.30am in Arc 2000. Not snowing, blasting started. Sun looks like it wants to come out. Looks like a good day ahead...
snow conditions
snowHead
@thefatcontroller, I've got my avi gear with me! Was eying up the big off piste areas last week, but with the mixed snow conditions I'm going to stick to the marked runs, unless I can find some local knowledge!!. (save a little action in between the pistes!)

So yes, depending on how my girlfriend is, she skis well but not offpiste, I may be able to get out with you!

W.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 9-01-18 9:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just watched a man let his dog have a sh*t in the middle of 2000 and then kick some snow over it rather than pick up. Even the walk from the funni to Lidl was a brown walk yesterday. What is it with the french and dog sh*t?
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, it’s not just the French in France I was in a Marina the other day and watched a bloke wait for his dog to finish on the pontoon and then casually kicked the pooh into the water ):
snow conditions
Lovely day in Les Arcs. After slow start all lifts open apart from Varet and Garnad Col, they may open later. Conditions amazing, even playing just off piste on a board is dangerous as if you stop it is so deep you are stuck. 1st world issues. Enjoy work y'all.
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, resigning myself to webcam watching at work. The "snow-line" outside Le Savoy is impressive!

A week friday before I head out (to Chamonix) before returning to Les Arcs over Easter with the family - when i am looking forward to taking my youngest (5) all the way down Vallee de L Arc and back up the new lift!

Enjoy your day!
ski holidays
Here's a pic from the livecam from february half term last year... (excuse the highlighted circles i was highlighting the 'Esprit' kids, who were off on a ski lesson, to show their Grandfather where they would pass by on the live cam whilst we were on hols last year!)

and here's todays:

latest report
@Richie_S, Brilliant - that really shows the depth
snow report
Epic day on the hill today, so much powder in places and fresh lines until the last lift. Some pretty big slides near the Mont Blanc lift, safety barriers and trees ripped out. Be careful folks.
snow conditions
Glorous day today. Started about 11 in Arc 2000 but quickly realised they were still preparing higher lifts and nothing much open so bailed at Pre Saint and took bus to 1600. Got on Cachette and saw they had just opened Mont Blanc (damn..). Straight back down and up Mont Blanc, glorious. Back up cachette over to carelly, did a few laps of that lift, great on a board, then went into 2000 for lucnh.

Afternoon was spring like, sun had come out but still a bit nippy. Up Bois and did laps of carelly, I was tiring so took some huge tumbles in the powder, they hurt. Went back home to 2000 via lac, and pre saint chair into bubble bar for a drink. All in all a good day, very tired. Tomorrow we plan to ski and will head to La Plagne, time to check out some busy slopes and slow lifts Toofy Grin

Bumped into a brilliant snowboard instructor we have used before from ESF in Arc 2000, Julien Cormen, he was out boarding with his 3 year old son, yes the son was boarding on his own, it was extraordinary to see

Photos.
About 11.30am this morning by Pre Saint bus stoop looking up. Roads weren't too bad.

2pm today, they still hadn't manged to dig out Lanchettes lift

This monirng on Mont Blanc chair looking down at 1600, you can see how low the snow line is in the valley

The new Club Med above 1600. Its bloody enormous, it goes back a huge way too.

Lac this afternoon, Mogully and normal carnage, great fun

The snow depth at the bubble bar in the middle of the 2000 bowl. Last year it was grass around it.
latest report
@thefatcontroller, Boarding still? If you make it as far as the Ecartee piste (under the Bergerie lift) try out the new Le Chairlift restaurant opposite the Jaguar test drive track. http://restaurants-ski.com/en/stations-list/la-plagne/villages-soleil/1086-le-chairlift.html

IF you make it as far as Montalbert village try Union restaurant https://www.unionmontalbert.com/en/home/ You wont regret it!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 9-01-18 20:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, We will ski to La Plagne, too far for us to board. We love the place at La Roche so normally head there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thefatcontroller, Fair enough, while in that sector dont forget to admire the new Envers chairlift - the slowest lift you will find, it was supposed to open last Christmas and its still not open yet!
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, great pics - thanks for sharing

That club med is a bit of un horreur. Would look more at home over in La Plagne
snow conditions
@red 27, I have to agree the new club med is horredous. It dominates the Mont Blanc piste and Arc 1600. I wonder how they ever got planning permision for it.
snow report
Tuesday 9 Jan. WHAT A DAY!! Whilst other local resorts struggled to open very much for skiing today. After a slow start Les Arcs had most lifts running and almost all pistes open! Well done Les Arcs great effort and you kept everyone safe as well!

It really was a deep powder day again! Although we did use a few pistes to get between the different off piste areas we skied today. We did not really go on that many!

The off piste was great! Deep powder up to your waist at times and almost everywhere we went it was fresh tracks all day!!

Started in Arc 1600 where they had the Cachette Chair running and later the Mont Blanc as well. Had first tracks down through the forest run. Hard work putting in the track, but worth the effort. Powder cushions the whole way down. It is always nice to be first!

Then it was off the back of the Arpette Chair for more fresh all the way down to the Vagere Chair. Up top and across the meadows and back up. Then over to the Derby chair through the forest which had just opened.

More fun in the meadows and trees all the way down to the Grizzly chair in Vallandry. Off the top and down to Nancoix. great run and so much untracked snow it was possible to do sycro skiing!

A quick lunch then up the Derby Chair and more great snow. The Upper Transarc was now open so over to the Arc 2000 bowl. Soft light snow off piste there as well. Still managed to make a few turns down the central ridge in fresh snow.

The Comboreciere chair closed just before we arrived so back up Pre Esprit chair and Bois de l'ours. More fresh tracks across to Clocheret and a final run down the cliffs and through the Mont Blanc forest before heading home.

All the pistes we skied today were in great condition. The lifts queues were very quick and the only main lifts not to open were the Grand Col, Varet, Lanchette and Aiguille Rouge.

Considering they said it was a 'RED Alert' last night it turned out to be a great day. With Arvi level 4, we only skied the very safe slopes and anything even a little risky was done one at a time. Better to take your time and stay safe. Overloading a slope, even when not to steep can be fatal.

Photos from today are posted in the Jan 2018 Album. Do not take my word for it, have a look at the photos and see how amazing it was for yourself!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1574642905945503

Anyone interested in joining us tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am for meet up details. If the rain holds off tonight I am hopeful of another powder day and maybe even some sun! Very Happy
snow report
Ski Knees and family are loving reading these updates- will be there soooon... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@red 27, I have to agree the new club med is horredous. It dominates the Mont Blanc piste and Arc 1600. I wonder how they ever got planning permission for it.

The photo doesn't do the size of it justice. As wide as it is in the photo it is deep again behind. Someone knows someone or owes someone for that to have got through planning.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, funny handshakes?
snow conditions
Club Med in Les Arcs looks absolutely awful! What where they thinking? Can't help but think that Les Arcs is literally going downhill - too many beds and same amount of piste. A real pity....
snow conditions
Yeah I don't get why they keep on adding beds, it's always seems pretty busy whenever I've been (outside of peak holiday dates). Increasing volumes certainly puts me off from returning.
latest report
Minion1980 wrote:
Yeah I don't get why they keep on adding beds, it's always seems pretty busy whenever I've been (outside of peak holiday dates). Increasing volumes certainly puts me off from returning.

Someone more knowledgeable on this than me recently explained that there is now developing a huge issue in Les Arcs of empty beds. As more and more apartments become privately owned their occupancy rates are dropping hugely so that even though they keep building the actual number of visitors isn't rising dramatically. There is some logic to this, however that Club Med will have very high occupancy rates and its huge so will bring big crowds to what has been up until now (Mont Blanc) a lovely quietish area and huge crowds heading down to the lifts in 1600.
snow report
They have given up trying to dig Lanchette out by hand, called in a basher. Didn't realise a basher can fit right in under the lift
Reversing in

Under the lift
ski holidays
Any good boot fitters in Les Arcs?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy