Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@boredsurfin, and that sign comes just when you are far enough passed the last uplift option not to want to go back... !
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stevew, Yep the Blanc is still a great bar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thefatcontroller, The only run I can think of from the 1800 to the 1600 sectors with flat sections is Traversee (formally know as Gollet). On skis if you get baulked then you may have to pole.

@Layne, Is the long path you are thinking of the red grand reynard piste, though for th elife of me I cannot see why it is red and it is the only way to get to the dentes du Peigne, which is a very gentle blue.

OK I am a skier so my concept of flat is when you have to pole and I can only really think of 2 places in Les Arcs when you may have to walk (though I have managed without skating or poling when the snow had been good): Col du la Chal as you approach the Grand Col chair lift and Belvedere as you approach Charmettoger (The main route from 1600 to Vallandry). The other main point, approching 2000 is now served by a rope drag
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@johnE, 1800 up Carelly and across to 1600 past the bar with the air bag & skiing pool in spring, that horrible flat run
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys. I'll check these out on the piste maps as areas to avoid. I am a pretty decent boarder, and I usually only get caught out if I am messing around and don't see the flat or uphill coming. I was planning on a couple of excursions over to LP but I'll need to plan it out first. I appreciate the info
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A friendly French skier pulled me through the tunnel with his pole.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@craigiemack, We are old sh*t boarders and we can get around. You will be fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Minion1980 wrote:
A friendly French skier pulled me through the tunnel with his pole.

Oh er missus 😳
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@thefatcontroller, I know the piste. Oddly I cannot recall any flat bits or seeing many boarders scootering along or even carrying their equipment. I suppose we skiers and boarders have different perceptions of what is flat.

The bar is the Altiport and it is IMHO a pretty tedious run. Cutting down Rouelles helps us skiers relieve the tedium but for a boarder it just dumps you on the flat bit of Gollet
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Local forecast said it would start snowing at 9pm. They were wrong, it started at 9.04pm. Tsk, tsk.

Forecast is for a metre or more over the next 48 hours. Coming down heavily already. Hope the forecast winds don't get too wild.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looking at Snow Forecast for this week, I'm kind of glad we were there last week!
On another point. The Les Arcs website says that a Paradiski pass gets you the afternoon before your pass starts as an extra half day for free. Our chalet staff told us that it's actually a half day at the end of the pass, till 1pm, and we did take advantage of it. Had a slightly hairy moment when the gates at Arpette refused to let my daughter through, despite it being only 12.30, and we had to get back to Plan Peisey, but she showed the liftie her pass, pointed out it wasn't 1pm yet, and he let her through. So going past Derby at 3 minutes to 1 we thought we'd be cheeky, get an extra lift and another run in - same deal with the gates and the lifties, but it worked. Happy
So does anyone know if the half day at the start also works, or is the website just wrong?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@karin, Complete side question but how was sleep on the overnight Eurostar’s. We did day for the 1st time but being a bad sleeper I’m not sure I would get any sleep on the overnights
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
@Layne, Is the long path you are thinking of the red grand reynard piste, though for th elife of me I cannot see why it is red and it is the only way to get to the dentes du Peigne, which is a very gentle blue.

That's the one. Forgotten it was a red tbh. A competent boarder can probably make it perhaps but I am fairly sure I've seen a few walking the last stretch.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
karin wrote:
Looking at Snow Forecast for this week, I'm kind of glad we were there last week!
On another point. The Les Arcs website says that a Paradiski pass gets you the afternoon before your pass starts as an extra half day for free. Our chalet staff told us that it's actually a half day at the end of the pass, till 1pm, and we did take advantage of it. Had a slightly hairy moment when the gates at Arpette refused to let my daughter through, despite it being only 12.30, and we had to get back to Plan Peisey, but she showed the liftie her pass, pointed out it wasn't 1pm yet, and he let her through. So going past Derby at 3 minutes to 1 we thought we'd be cheeky, get an extra lift and another run in - same deal with the gates and the lifties, but it worked. Happy
So does anyone know if the half day at the start also works, or is the website just wrong?

We (me, wife and two kids) used ours the afternoon before last season. We got a samediski or whatever it's called for the second Saturday.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some chaps in our chalet used 6 day passes to ski on the afternoon of there arrival this week.
snow conditions
We got Samediski on our arrival, and some of us got them at the end as well cos we wanted to ski all day. So it looks as though a 6 day pass is actually 6 and 2 1/2's!
@stevew, what time could they ski from, was it 1pm?
I've just looked on the website again, and it says you get that extra half day at the start with a Les Arcs pass as well. All very confusing.
snow report
@karin, I agree that it's confusing. The resort website states that the 1/2 day is for the afternoon prior to the 6 days and this wording is in the Paradiski column, but not the Les Arcs only column. It is, however clear that the Samediski deal needs to be booked online by midnight Friday. So you would need to hold an existing valid card to be able to arrange this for the day of arrival.

It's very interesting that you were able to make the extra 1/2 day work on your final day, although it drags into question what the Samediski offer is for!

A question for you: was the family (2+2) deal available at the cash desk or only online?
ski holidays
@sproggski, samedijeski works all day, so if for example you are self-drive, you can ski all final Saturday, then leave in the evening. It also works for long weekend / short weeks: when arriving on a Friday night but not staying for the whole week it makes sense (sometimes) to buy samedijeski plus 3 days for e.g.

Also: the extra 1/2 day bit doesn't work when buying a Les Arcs or La Plagne pass only, and not the full Paradiski.
(declared interest: I'm still not a huge fan of the full area pass for a 6 day trip: the one day excursion to the 'other side' already included ought to be more than enough - and if it isn't, I contend you've booked into the wrong resort!)
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, thanks, that aligns with what I've read.

I agree with you regarding the value of the Paradiski pass. But we'll be arriving during a Saturday morning so, if the weather is OK, buying the Paradiski pass with the 1/2 day is marginally cheaper than the local pass for 7 days, even if the VE is never used. Hence my question regarding whether the Family rate is for online-only purchases.

Although it will be a family holiday and I will get little, if any, "me time", I admit to being just a little excited with this start to the season! Its looking a bit grim in 1950 today, though - next to nothing open, while the other villages at least have their lower lifts running.
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
declared interest: I'm still not a huge fan of the full area pass for a 6 day trip: the one day excursion to the 'other side' already included ought to be more than enough - and if it isn't, I contend you've booked into the wrong resort!

Bit confused by that. It's not that much more for a full area pass and if you are staying fairly central you can explore 3 days in each. Why should one day be enough? They are both great areas.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Arctic Roll wrote:
declared interest: I'm still not a huge fan of the full area pass for a 6 day trip: the one day excursion to the 'other side' already included ought to be more than enough - and if it isn't, I contend you've booked into the wrong resort!

Bit confused by that. It's not that much more for a full area pass and if you are staying fairly central you can explore 3 days in each. Why should one day be enough? They are both great areas.

Depends where you stay. We are in 2000 & Arctic is 1950 and in both spots La Plagne is actually a bit of a trek and you can scoot around Les Arcs so easily why go across every day. We went across the Vanoise last week for 1st time in 3 years.
snow report
@Layne, Because 3 days won't cover the entirety of what each has to offer.

Even as serial returners / owners on the LA side, we don't find (on a one week visit anyway) it necessary go over the other side more than once (unless certain sectors are closed).
I can spend a day playing in the trees and pistes above Villaroger; a day on the Peisey/Vallendry reds; a day in the 2000 bowl (including Grand Col), certainly a day on the 2000 blacks of AG lapping the Varet lift (at my age, one Robert Blanc and a couple of Lanches are going to require a sit down and a contemplative genepi...) and we haven't even started on 1600, Malgovert and 1800... OK, I admit, Iexaggerate for effect. But the point is, there is plenty to occupy a week, plenty of variety, without having to go to LP more than once.

I fully accept that mile munchers and Ski-track junkies may disagree. And of course, you do have to know the areas well to take full advantage of the hidden gems. And I certainly do agree with you that both are great areas.
latest report
As a fairly frequent skier in Les Arcs (we will be there for about 18 days this year) I find a paradiski pass unneccessaary. Like @thefatcontroller, we might go over to La Plagne once every year ot two but generally stay in the Les Arcs area. This Christmas we bought paradiski passes (over 1200 euro for the 3 of us) and only went over to La Plagne once. We could go more often but far too often the trees of the Vallandry area seduce us to stay.
ski holidays
YUGE ? Anyone using it. I downloaded the update this year and it's just riddled with bugs :

- Tracking is very unreliable. It decided I had gone 142 kph at one point. gives totally nonsense distances travelled.
- Tracking randomly just switches itself off. I made a point of double check it was correctly switched on before starting, yet frequently half an hour later I'd have to restart it.
- Friend search just gives a random list, 4 of us were using it and none of us could find each other.
- Rankings don't work at all, it just says ranking is unavailable. I'm fully connected 4G most of the time.
- Most of the badges don't get given. It doesn't give any of the lift badges, and most of the "new experiences" don't register either

Even the navette times it lists are wrong. It's gone from being OK last year to an absolute pile of crap this year.

Anyone else get on any better with it ?
snow report
@eblunt, Replied to your repeated post on the La Plagne thread.
snow report
@eblunt, Found it handy when on the move in Les Arcs to know what lifts were open when the weather was bad last week but under the 2000-1600 bus it just had 'free'and no times. Dont use tracking as that kills the battery.
snow conditions
Interesting weathr today with the odd brighter moments. Stayed mainly in the trees around Peisey and vallandry, some good moments in amongst getting blow around at topsof lifts and not being able to see until you got to the tree line. Touched around the edges in Arc 1800 and not much open. Strong winds forecast for tonight.
snow conditions
I've been following this thread since the start of the season and now 4 days away from arriving, finally time to thank you all for the updates.

@Arctic Roll, @thefatcontroller, thanks for the comments above about which pass to buy. It'll be our first time in LA (staying in 2000) and that advice was exactly what I was going to ask for a 6 day stay.

Mrs has private lessons for the week so interested in maximising my mornings to myself. Any recommendations for guides as keen to learn some of the off piste particularly after the storms look to end on Monday (is forecasts stay true).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abbosphere, Mad to buy a Paradski if in LA for 1st time and staying in 2000. Re guides we have used Julien Cormons from ESF in Arc 2000, he boards and skis and he is brilliant. We used an instructor from Evolution in Arc 2000 and he was rubbish, never used that school again. Its a short hop down but Spirit 1950 are a great ski school. However getting some private instructor for a morning can be difficult as they are normally in lessons. Its off season so worth a call to ESF in 2000 and Spirit 1950..
ski holidays
How quick can one get across to Vanoise Express from Arc 1950? We plumped for Paradiski passes this year which in hindsight is a little ambitious given our group. Last year in Plagne 1800 with just the two of us we did two day trips over to Les Arcs, bit of a slog getting across but worth it, even if you have to watch the clock for getting back.
snow report
@sproggski, We didn't do the family deal, the 'kids' are 20 and 22! Most of the buying options do seem to be available online though.
We had cards from previous trips, and the Samediski goes for the whole day, not just the half day. I guess you have to decide whether being on the hill for the extra few hours is worth paying the 30 euros for.
According to lesarcsnet.com, the extra half day is also on an LA pass - 'A half day afternoon of skiing is offered free to anyone buying a 6 day or more pas. This must be used on the afternoon before your first full day of skiing, on Paradiski or Les Arcs only ski passes' copied and pasted from site https://www.lesarcsnet.com/ski-passes/ . But I guess that isn't actually the official site so it could be wrong?
snow report
@mrecho, iirc you can do it pretty quickly (but of course depends on your ski speed Very Happy )
Just the one lift - bois d'lours to the Arpette ridge, then I think if you concentrate and stay left as far as poss once on Arpette 3 down the Arc 1800 side of the ridge you need no more lifts to get to Vanoise. Follow Arpette 3, Charmettoger, Plan Bois and Ours - et voila! I'd estimate no more than 15 mins actual on ski time.

Of course then you have to get across and work your way up on the LP side - but your question was only to get as far as the Vanoise Toofy Grin
snow report
Best ski to the Vanoise from 1950 is Marmotte then Arcabuelle lift to Transarc, great ski from there to Vanoise. 20 mins and done. Coming back quickest is straight from Peisey lift to 1800, small gondola then Carelly. A good 50 mins. However imo the issue is once you get off Vanoise in LP. Takes quite a while & it’s bloody cold get over towards Belle Plagne.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, One tip for getting up the LP side is if you see a big queue at the lac Noir gondola, ski past and get the Plan Bois chair instead ... there's usually much less of a queue , and you don't have to de-ski.
ski holidays
@eblunt, Know that route. The whole place there is a mess with lifts, would be much better with a lift up straight off the Vanoise but no doubt Montchavin & Les Coches like the traffic.
latest report
Arriving in Les Arcs to start skiing Sunday, if you had one day to explore La Plagne where would you go? or would you not bother and stay in Les Arcs? As skiing solo it'll be on piste, although typically ski all mountain. Ta in advance.
ski holidays
Heading out to Arc 2000 in early March. Planning to buy a Duo pass for myself and my 9 year son. Is there an online discount for passes? Also with a bit of luck we will be in the resort for lunch time. Keen for my son to get some confidence before starting ski school. Last year the St Jacques lift was free on some days, is that still the case?
snow conditions
pmercer wrote:
Heading out to Arc 2000 in early March. Planning to buy a Duo pass for myself and my 9 year old son. Is there an online discount for passes? Also with a bit of luck we will be in the resort for lunch time. Keen for my son to get some confidence before starting ski school. Last year the St Jacques lift was free on some days, is that still the case?
ski holidays
@Christopher, Crozats / inversens (lifts) to Roche do Mio then ski all the way down to Champagny. Back over via Verdons Sud then down Emile Allais to La Roche. Then up and down to Monty and 'home' via Bergerie, Arpette and Esselet
snow conditions
@pmercer, Yes St Jacques is still free on the Saturdays. Your other alternative is to ski down to Pre St Esprit and get the bus back (although not sure of the frequency on a Saturday). I'm not personally convinced about the free half day for a 6 day 'LA only' pass, but hey! you never know.

No online discounts per se, but there are occasional "special offers" or splash sales: eg for passes bought 'in the next 24 hours, for any period in the next ten days' sort of thing. Keep your eyes on the Les Arcs web pages.

@Christopher, It depends: on snow conditions , skiing ability and preferred type of skiing! We like the challenge of going to the other side of the map , over to Montalbert - a distance thing; if you like cruising then the Roche de Mio either back to Belle Plagne via the Tunnel, or the Champagny direction offer wide open spaces; snowcrazy likes the glacier and the off piste options ( guide needed); sheltered and tree
stuff, you can stick in the Montchavin sector (but Peisey is significantly better, imHo!). It really does offer a wide variety. I'd also ask on the LP thread -they're far more knowledgeable about the little glories you can find.

ref getting from 2000/1950 to Vanoise - me and @thefatcontroller do frequently disagree about this - but then he's primarily a boarder, so it does make a difference. Yes the one lift, Bois de L'Ours option does involve a couple of cat-tracks, but it is only one queue. Marmottes and Arcabulle can be busy, particularly at ski school start time, and it's two lift sitting time as opposed to skiing. But really, it's jam and marmalade.
My advice would be: since Marmottes and Ours start at the same place, go there and choose whichever is the shorter q at that point!

(As per earlier in the thread, we went the Ours route at Christmas, it was exactly 20 mins from the boot room in 1950, to getting onto the Vanoise).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy