Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
@Boris, yugh. Personally I don't keep webcam pictures from years ago unless they look particularly good. On that basis, I should be clearing some space on my PC!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just packing - flying out with EJ tomorrow, which means (hopefully) arriving in 1600 in the evening (as per my posts wayyyy back on page 1 of this topic, I phoned up this week and managed to prepend my stay in the Roc to cover Friday as well, and cancelled the hotel down in the valley!).

The forecast is showing snow tomorrow night, though only down to 1400-1600 metres as best I can tell, so how likely do you think I'll need to get chains on to get up the hill? I've booked them with the car hire, but never actually used them - may have to do some youtube homework (as I booked from the French side of GVA, I doubt I'll have winter tyres).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pejoli, on the basis of the roads at present I would be surprised if you needed chains. I went up the mountain from 1800 twice yesterday on "summer" tyres without any difficulty. Even if there's a major snow dump, careful driving should do you fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Pejoli, the roads were completely clear coming all the way down from 2000 on Sunday and things have only got warmer since then so I don't imagine you will have any issues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thursday 29 March. A very mixed day of sunny spells, clouds, white out, light snow, powder, wet snow, slushy snow and everything else you can imagine!

Despite the very mixed conditions we managed to get some good off piste at times, but also some difficult conditions.

Spent most of the day around Les Coches and Roch de Mio areas as well as the meadows going down to Belle Plagne and back in Les Arcs around Arc 1600 and 1800.

Tomorrow morning we are hoping for better light and more soft snow again. Anyone wanting to join us please send me a PM before 9am.

Photos from today on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Friday 30 March. The Easter holidays have arrived for many and it is time to find those far away places where we can have the mountain to ourselves!

Stayed in Les Arcs today and went hunting for untracked snow again. Very mixed conditions with powder, firm spring snow just holding up and that sweet spring sugar in some hidden away places! Then soft snow just right for jumps to finish.

The light was in and out all day and it was windy up top, but there was still plenty to do and few people around where we were skiing.

Take a look at the photos in the new Easter Holiday 2018 Album if you want to see the fun we had. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1662450857164707

It was good to meet old friends over the last few days and also say hi to new faces. Hope those leaving have a safe drive home and see you next winter. For those arriving, the roads will be busy so take care. Keep those chains handy in case the snow falling in resort settles during the night.

Right now it is raining in the valley and snowing up high. Tomorrow could be a powder day if it stays cold! Anyone wanting to join us must PM me before 9am for meet up details.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saturday 31 March. Powder, a little blue sky and a really fun day in Les Arcs!

Today many people had arrived and we all met up at the top of the Arpette chair after a little warm up under the cachette chair, our first powder run of the day. Off down the Bois de l'ours piste for another fast run then the next face off the ridge for a few more fresh tracks. Up to the top of the Varet and more fresh tracks before arriving at the top of the grand col chair. The untracked powder just kept on giving us fresh lines. Another run all the way down to plagnettes chair then back up and over the back of the Col de chal. Finally on the bus and a late lunch at the Solan, Very nice!

What a morning. In the afternoon with the light coming in and out, it was jump time off the ridge down to the mid station of the Transarc. Another fast ski down to Bois de l'ours and after some of the group departed, one last run down the special skicross course and the snow park. Mind the drop!

Finally back to Arc 1600 and home.

The snow on and off piste today was great. Soft and light off piste and firm, but still soft in most places on piste. Everywhere we went there were few queues and everyone agreed it had been a great day.

Hope you enjoy the photos in the Easter Holiday 2018 Album. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1662450857164707

Anyone wanting to join us needs to send me a PM before 9am tomorrow for another fun day in the powder! I hope all those that have just arrived have a great week and I look forward to catching up with some of you in the coming days!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What a difference a day makes. Friday and Saturday the resort was blissfully quiet but today it's busy. Not too busy for lift queues but a lot of people neverthelless. Many of these are beginners with lots of children Talking to my neighbour it seems the schools go back on Tuesday so maybe thngs will quieten down later in the week.

The snow conditions are superb with massive snow depth and no stones or rocks. It is excellent for any time in the season but amazing for April.

I feel so lucky to be here.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was a fantastic day, even better than yesterday. Our instructor took us up Varet just after it opened, and we got virtually first tracks in lovely powder all the way down Cretes. After lunch, for the first time in four trips, my son persuaded me down Clair blanc - every previous visit it had always looked like mogul hell. Not my finest hour, but made it down without falling, so a result in my book - particularly as I'm still dialling in the mahoosive bonafides I've rented. Superb.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First tracks (almost) off the top of Col de la Chal, then headed to Lanchettes and had fresh tracks
, went to grab a hot chocolate and noticed Grand Col was running with no one on it so went there and laid first tracks to the centre, far left, far right.

Then tried to go for a hot choc but realised Barry had just opened so up we went for some more deep freebies, then Aiguille Rouge opened but our legs were toast so headed for the drink at last.

My 10 yr old said it was his best day skiing ever and he loved the snow clouds in his face on every deep turn.

Legs aching now though.

Great day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Easter Sunday!! More fresh powder! Plenty of fresh tracks in the forest! Even a trip down the Bellecote in untracked powder above your knees. What a day! Great skiing everyone!

We managed to get across Les arcs off piste to the Vanoise Express with a few little detours. Then up to the top of the Bellecote Glacier and down the North Face. Finally over the drops and the Big Drop challenge before heading to the waterslide then home (still dry!).

The pistes everywhere today were in excellent condition although it was busy in some places. The Off piste was amazing in almost all places we went for this time of year! The lift queues were not bad either.

A really fun day despite the vis coming and going all day. Tomorrow should be another powder day. Send me a PM before 9am if you want to join us.

Photos from today in the Easter Holiday 2018 Album. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1662450857164707
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monday 2 April. What a change in just 24 hours. Yesterday we had powder and cold weather. Today it started with powder, but quickly became wet sticky snow lower down and in a few places spring snow, but also softer snow on some faces if you were lucky.

We had hoped to make another trip down the North Face of the Bellecote, but the gondola broke and so we played in the Bellecote bowl before heading down to Baunche Chair and then through the woods to the Vanoise Express and back to Les Arcs.

A quick go on the waterslide (still dry!) then a fast, but sticky ski back to Arc 1600 and home.

The pistes today were ok at first, but those in the sun soon became sticky. The warm temperatures changed the off pistes snow quality and made it very sticky in some places. The clouds later in the day kept the warm air closed in and we will see the effect tomorrow.

Photo from today will follow later. Here are a few. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Anyone wanting to join us should contact me before 9am tomorrow for meet up details.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm out at the weekend, what do you think for the conditions, my fat skis (108s) or piste ones (76s)?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frank Spencer wrote:
I'm out at the weekend, what do you think for the conditions, my fat skis (108s) or piste ones (76s)?

Crud and crust busters unless there is a significant snow fall.

The high daytime temps and night time cold have made the off piste pretty grim and a rising avi risk.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went up to Tgnes yesterday and I noticed the roads were in pretty bad condition both in Les Arcs and especially in Tignes with huge potholes almost everywhere. They must have taken a hammering this winter.

Quote:

Piste skis for the moring, slush cruisers for the afternoon. It's spring.
snow report
Tuesday 3 April. The weather changed again today and so did the snow. First thing in the morning we had high winds up top and poor light with colder than first reported temps which made the re-freeze over night stay around a little longer.

Then it started to warm up very fast and for a short while we had good spring snow and even a little soft snow to make a few tracks.

However it quickly became much warmer and by mid afternoon it was very soft and becoming heavy off piste.

The pistes were very good all morning and even late in the afternoon they were still fun to ski. With the right skis, spring slush can be fun!

I guess the best snow we found today was still on the north facing slopes and the trees helped as well.

We managed to get right down to the bottom of the Villaroger side (not bad for April), across to Peisey/Vallandry and both Arc 1800 and Arc 1600. Some good snow in all areas off piste earlier in the day and the snow park was busy, but fun. The Speed course in Peisey was interesting. I cannot believe one of the youngster's nearly beat me! I think the gun was rigged! The Bordercross in Arc 2000 bowl was interesting and even when I cheated, this time I still lost! I think I need race skis to beat them these days! The waterslide was fun again, but today I carried coats whilst others tried to keep dry! We done for making it first time on race skis!

A few photos from today below. Plus a video if it works. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

Anyone wanting to ski with us tomorrow in the fresh powder they say is coming please PM me by 8.30am. We plan to go early and enjoy the fresh snow before it warms up to much.

@Frank Spencer, best to bring both, but if not possible then fat ones in these conditions are more fun!
latest report
Was cruising down Vallee d'lArcs, the most cruisest of all blues today just before lunch with the kids and missed a slide onto the piste by a matter of moments!

Cue a rather frantic blasting of the other slopes immediately above the piste!

A timely reminder that even on piste with an avalanche level of 3 you still need to be aware of the conditions above.

Will try and post a pic when I get onto the laptop.

(now with added pic - slide was most of the way across the piste!)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 4-04-18 14:16; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@munter, that is something I never really think about - I have always told my wife that I (and the kids!) are perfectly safe on piste as they ensure the pistes are always safe or don't open them - she just needs to worry when I start heading off piste!!

Which part of that piste was it? Above or below 1950? There are a few steep bits to the side aren't there...
ski holidays
tonyswift wrote:
@munter, that is something I never really think about - I have always told my wife that I (and the kids!) are perfectly safe on piste as they ensure the pistes are always safe or don't open them - she just needs to worry when I start heading off piste!!

It does happen, I've been in the vicinity of a couple. However, it is rare. And the chances of someone getting caught and seriously hurt even rarer. I think there has been the occasional fatality but the odds are much more likely to be killed in a road accident on the way to your holiday. Of course avalanches have taken out roads/chalets before so you are not perfectly safe there either. I think you are still correct - it's not something worth worrying about, in any material sense.
snow report
Certainly not something I want my wife finding out about!! She panics enough anyway - particularly if I have the kids in tow!!!!

Definitely worth being aware of though...
snow conditions
tonyswift wrote:

Which part of that piste was it? Above or below 1950? There are a few steep bits to the side aren't there...

Below 1950. Probably about half way to the lift. There were a couple of other slides visible in the same area, another one looked like it released last night (probably controlled given the number of blasts last evening) and made the piste as well but had been bashed out.

Doubt either would have done any real damage on piste if you'd got caught other than knock you over, but certainly gives pause for thought.
ski holidays
@munter, yes it does!!

Well, I suppose it puts a bit more snow on that piste - I reckon that'll still be ski-able in July this year at this rate!!
ski holidays
we're off to 1950 on Saturday, got the family group coming. Me, my wife, number one son aged 9, daughter aged 7 and the baby 18 months eeek. My wife is planning to do the baby looking after while I get involved in getting the older children to and from ski school (I will obv. do my bit!). Heaven knows, I might even manage a bit of a ski myself.

Massively looking forward to it but a little worried about travelling, flying into Geneva then hire car to Bourg Lidl for weeks shop then up the hill to 1950, might be a bit stressy, taking a car seat and pram in the hold also, oh it's just so easy travelling like this!

Main reason I'm posting is if anyone has any tips for things my wife and the baby could do in and around the resort given we've got the baby. Bit annoyed at travel cot hire prices but ho hum generally any other tips given the arrangements. Am wondering if any childcare is available for that age also but imagine v expensive.

We went to Arc 1950 two years ago similar dates and absolutely loved it. So good to see the children skiing. Can't wait.

As I say all tips for the trip appreciated, see you on the piste!
snow conditions
From previous research http://www.cariboo1950.com/ take that young, but charge handsomely.
ski holidays
tonyswift wrote:

Well, I suppose it puts a bit more snow on that piste - I reckon that'll still be ski-able in July this year at this rate!!

Got a message through saying they are going to open the Aguille Rouge Glacier this year for summer skiing (first time in a loooong time) thanks to the amount of snowfall. Hopefully while we're there, 14 - 28th July - be good to get a 1/2 day up there for a change of scenery from the MTB.

Also heard but not seen - any updates? - that they've emptied the Tignes lake again so as to prepare for the melt.
snow report
Wednesday 4 April. Last night we were thinking it was time for another try at getting over to the Bellecote bowl. Unfortunately the weather god's did not play ball. The wind was blowing hard and the clouds were forming from the west.

Not deterred we headed over to Peisey and across the Vanoise Express. After a fast ski we arrived at the top of the Arpette chair (la plagne side) and a play on the Funslope! Fun for even big kids! Then down the waterfall gully which was challenging in current snow conditions. Finally we arrived at the top of the Roche de Mio and as expected the glacier was closed and the wind was very strong.

Time for Plan B. Off the back of the Roche through the cliffs and all the way down to the Bauches chair. A fun route with some challenging sections and very mixed snow conditions. But the adventure was worth the effort as we found untracked areas and snow all the way to the river and back onto the piste.

Up the lifts and a quick lunch before heading to the top of Dos Rond. With stronger winds, poor vis and light snow falling it was time to walk away from another difficult route. Better to come back on another day than take a risk in poor light.

After a delay at the VE we crossed back onto the Les arcs side and headed to the top of the Derby chair and found the fresh snow had started to settle. More fresh tracks along the ridge and down the face before a quick visit to the 'Big Drop'. Always fun for those that have not done this before.

Finally across to the waterslide (well done all those that did it today in less than perfect conditions) and then home.

The great thing about a little fresh snow is it help's keep the pistes in good condition. Today it was typical spring conditions. Hard and icy in the morning, getting softer during the day then after a little fresh snowfall and warm temperatures, quite sticky on the way home. However the high winds did not help.

However these conditions can make it prefect for an avalanche. This happened onto the Vallee de l'arc piste today during the afternoon about half way down. Not really a danger as it was going very slowly (eye witness report), but it could have hurt someone so Les Arcs were lucky this time! After further avalanche protection and piste clearance the piste was re-opened.

Photos from today are posted in the Easter Holiday 2018 album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

For anyone wanting to join us tomorrow. Please send me a PM before 8.30am for meet up details.

It is snowing up top right now so just maybe we will have another powder day!!

@Arctic Roll, I also heard this, but do wonder if it will happen. They did make the post on April 1st!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
It got me all exited too, sadly tho I was an April fool Sad
ski holidays
The season is clearly over, as indicated by the view from my balcony this morning:

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, @snowcrazy, Ah well, a man can dream.
Still, the gear's all out there: so if it does happen, we'll be ready!
latest report
@Arctic Roll, well, it is unlikely the snow will be gone from the glacier (or many other parts for that matter!!) so, if the cable car is still running, what's to stop you skiing down anyway?
latest report
My wife arrived at the pre st espirit lift about lunch time to find it almost deserted. (They had come across from the villaroger side). They saw the helicopter and felt the blasts as they were set off . Apparently they had also closed the bois de l'ours lift as well.

Making her way back along traverse she reported a lot of small wet snow slides.

Later that evening we had s pleasant ski down from the arpette in the dark and on fresh powder. It looks as if it snowed all night and has just stopped. We'll get out soon. The roads visible from our window are all clear.

The arpette evening was as usual great fun. Helped by over a hundred university students dancing on the tables at the end. I gennually worried how some would get back they were so drunk. And the young ladies running about outside in their brassiers would catch their death of cold.

In the end only half a dozen of us cruised down to 1600 in the moonlight.
ski holidays
@tonyswift, the walk from the glacier to the top of the varet in boots? wink
ski holidays
munter wrote:
tonyswift wrote:

Below 1950. Probably about half way to the lift. There were a couple of other slides visible in the same area, another one looked like it released last night (probably controlled given the number of blasts last evening) and made the piste as well but had been bashed out.

Doubt either would have done any real damage on piste if you'd got caught other than knock you over, but certainly gives pause for thought.
On piste avalanches do happen, thankfully rare but not unheard of. Occasionally they can be fatal. IIRC a Russian woman was killed by an avalanche when skiing in Les Arcs about five years ago. Similar time of year to now, wet snow point release avalanche crossed the Grand Renard piste and caught her.
snow report
mtsuit wrote:
From previous research http://www.cariboo1950.com/ take that young, but charge handsomely.

just had a look - apparently circa €700 for the week but website not that great in terms of explanation / details.

Any other options ?

Can't really think of any, I could perhaps strap him to my back but chairlifts could be a bit tricky.
latest report
Having a discussion in the bar (le bistrot in 1600) tonight with my wife and son about tommorrow's skiing and I sugest we start with a trip down the deux tetes piste. They both argued that it no longer exists. And lo and behold they were right. It is no longer on the piste map. Does anyone remember when the piste was abandoned? I remember it as one of the steepest blacks in the resort and wonder why it is no longer marked.

Incidently we had a meal tonight in the la Nouvelle Monde restaurant tonight. It was excellent. If you are in 1600 in the evening then I highly reccomend it.
snow conditions
@peaklocation, The child getting hyperthermia or frostbite is, perhaps, a more serious concern.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
Having a discussion in the bar (le bistrot in 1600) tonight with my wife and son about tommorrow's skiing and I sugest we start with a trip down the deux tetes piste. They both argued that it no longer exists. And lo and behold they were right. It is no longer on the piste map. Does anyone remember when the piste was abandoned? I remember it as one of the steepest blacks in the resort and wonder why it is no longer marked.

There is a bit of black on the piste map just to the left of the top of the Mont Blanc chair that is not named and "Natur" on my piste map of 2015/16 that disappears the year after. Basically cutting of a corner of the Mont Blanc piste.

Seemingly there was also a lift of the same name taken out of service in 2011 so perhaps to do with that.
snow report
Thursday 5 April. The Powder was back! Is it really April!?

Today we went up early. Dropped the young ones off at ski school and headed for the powder fields above Arc 1800. After many fun runs in the meadows and trees it was over to Arc 1600 for more of the same before heading down to see the boys race on the Cachette piste.

Great results by everyone with top spot for one young racer.

A very nice lunch in Arc 1600 then a ski down to the bottom of Comberciere by the off piste route in very mixed snow. We even had to avoid one resent avalanche and cross another. Back over to Arc 1600 and down to the snow park for a few jumps before the waterslide (one wet person today!). Hot Chocolate and home.

The pistes first thing today were great with fresh powder everywhere. The off piste was excellent in the morning with knee deep powder. Even during the race at midday the pistes were still OK although starting to get a little sticky when the sun came out.

But by after lunch everywhere had warmed up with the sign reading 22 degrees at the bottom of the Pre Espirit chair.

Photos from today are not what I had expected! Is this really April, it look's more like January again, at last in the morning! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

For anyone wanting to join us tomorrow. Please PM me before 8.30am. You will need arvi gear and if weather is OK we plan to head towards La Plagne.

Hope you all enjoyed the powder today as much as we did!
latest report
Thanks @Layne, the Mont blanc piste did cut the top of the deux tetes piste. It used to be one of my favourite runs and even after it had been shortened I used to enjoy it. Few people used the drag lift so it was kept unused. Was it really that long ago when the mont blanc chair was extended. Les arcs appears to be slowly removing the black pistes. One next to genepi (called varet IIRC) disappeared a couple years ago. And the one between cachette and roulles vanished when they installed the cachette chair

The reason we were discussing Mont blanc was that my wife wanted to do all the blacks in the resort in a day. While trying to recall them I kept mentioning runs that no longer exist.

Insistently I think there are 16.
snow report
johnE wrote:
@peaklocation, The child getting hyperthermia or frostbite is, perhaps, a more serious concern.

i was joking about the child on back! (just for clarity)... might have found a part time nanny at reasonable price.

Looking forward to this trip so much (maybe not the travel)...

thinking of driving Geneva airport to Arc via Annecy to go past the lake, is that a daft idea on a Saturday pm?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy