Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
johnE wrote:
Thanks @Layne, the Mont blanc piste did cut the top of the deux tetes piste. It used to be one of my favourite runs and even after it had been shortened I used to enjoy it. Few people used the drag lift so it was kept unused.

The problem here is whilst it is, or was, great for you in the short term, in the long term it's going to be a candidate for decommissioning.

johnE wrote:
Les arcs appears to be slowly removing the black pistes. One next to genepi (called varet IIRC) disappeared a couple years ago. And the one between cachette and roulles vanished when they installed the cachette chair

Well, I am not so sure about that. Listed on Yuge in various Les Arcs sectors:

Aiguille Rouge
Bois De L'Ours
Bosses
Combes
Comborciere
Dou De L'Homme
Droset
Ecureuils
Fond Blanc
Genepy
Lanches
Les Cretes
Muguet
Refuge
Robert Blanc
Rouelles
Solliet
Sortie Tsf Droset

johnE wrote:
The reason we were discussing Mont blanc was that my wife wanted to do all the blacks in the resort in a day. While trying to recall them I kept mentioning runs that no longer exist.

Insistently I think there are 16.

I make the above 18 though several seem to be closed today. But if you can do that lot in a day you are doing very well. Not so much the skiing itself but getting round the circuit to complete them all. To be honest blue, red, black, a piste is only as good as the condition it's in. When we were out last week we skied the black pistes far more than we've ever done. A combination of the kids getting older and more competent and the conditions being so great. Coverage, snow depths, fresh snow and temps all contributed to them being great to ski. I am never one for skiing a piste just because it's a certain colour.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peaklocation wrote:
thinking of driving Geneva airport to Arc via Annecy to go past the lake, is that a daft idea on a Saturday pm?

I think we did that once a few years ago. I think it was because we were driving from Germany. Anyhow, the traffic was a nightmare. So no, I wouldn't.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, the 2 I forgot were aiguille rouge which I thought was a red and sortie tag droset, which I confess I had never heard of.

Setting challences such as all the blacks , all corners of the resort etc is an interesting challenge but I agree queuing twice for the telepherique in one day does test the patience somewhat
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Friday 6 April! What a day! Blue Sky and powder all day!!
After the youngsters were dropped at ski school we headed over to the Vanoise Express and a fast ski to the Roche de Mio.

The Gondola had just opened and we arrived at the top of the Bellecote Glacier with NO tracks anywhere. Amazing! Where to go? The traverse chair had not yet opened so we did a route into the bowl using a higher couloir and a little push!

First tracks down the whole left side of the bowl back to the Chalet chair! Back up top and the chair had just opened. This time down the right side of the bowl and more fresh tracks the whole way back to the chair in a mix of powder up top and this time spring snow on the lower section.

With temperatures getting warmer it was time to head onto the North Face. Went the whole way down the right shoulder of the Petit North Face just above the Canadian Couloir. Very few tracks and plenty of room for more. Passed a few tricky areas where a slide was possible and finally onto the meadows below the cliff face and down to the Cheval for a beer.

A nice picnic and then back over to Les Arcs and the Waterslide which was really busy. Time to head for home!

The pistes across Les Arcs and La Plagne in the morning were hard and frozen from the night before, but soon warmed up and gave us typical spring conditions. The off piste was excellent. Powder on the protected northern slopes and spring snow on the southern facing ones. By 2pm the off pistes had started to get a little heavier, but was still fun and the spring snow was a real bonus!

The pistes on the way home in Les Arcs were very warn in the busy places, but still firm and grippe higher up. Lower down they had become quite sticky.

Anyone coming out this weekend. It is real spring skiing now! Follow the sun and you will have loads of fun! Fingers crossed that the rain forecast for Sunday turns to snow higher up.

If you want to see what conditions were like take a look at the photos. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/

The roads are all clear right now and driving should be OK as long as there are no slides from high on the mountains that block any access roads. Take care when driving. It will be a busy weekend! They have issued a warning due to the current conditions so come prepared for delays!

Anyone wanting to join us on Saturday needs to send me a PM before 9am tomorrow morning. It should be a fun day with good weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Saturday 7 April. Change over day so a trip across to La Plagne without the queues at the lifts and with quiet pistes. Time for a real blast on and off piste.

We set off from Arc 1600 and skied across to Peisey on pistes which were mostly hard packed and very firm with some frozen lumps of snow in various places.

Then after a little delay at the Vanoise Express down to Les Coches and up to the Fun Slope! A quick ski down over the obstacles and rollers then into the first waterfall gully. Still a little firm, but OK.

Once in Plagne Bellecote up to the top of Roche de Mio and along Brown Trouser Ridge. Some great views and then a ski down mixed snow all the way too the Champagny Gully. Fresh tracks at the start of the gully which was a surprise and firm snow mixed in with spring snow conditions all the way down to the Verdon Sud Chair depending on the line you took.

Over onto the Plagne Centre side and a fast ski down the Indian Gully before heading up towards the top of Montalbert. Down from the new Mirror restaurant along the fun track (mind the trees) and lunch at the Forperet restaurant which was excellent as always.

Our route home took us down through Montalbert and back across to Plagne Centre via the Envers Chair. We are very pleased it is working at last. Then up and over the ridge to the Arpette Chair in Bellecote La Plagne after a quick play in the half pipe.

After using the rope tow it was time for a ski down the Les Coches Bordercross Course and then along the narrow forest route in the trees back to the Vanoise Express.

Once back on the Les Arcs side we found the snow on piste had started to become quite sticky in places. Finally a run down through the Snow Park and then one last turn on the waterslide for the boys before heading for home after one final hot chocolate!

The piste conditions everywhere we went today were firm at first with a light dusting of snow on top which changed very quickly to soft spring snow and then heavier warm snow. The routes in the tree and down the gullies were fun, but mind the trees and look out for the odd snow slide as the day warms up. Some turns were very tight, but it was nice to have first fresh tracks in one gully.

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am for meet up details.

The photos from today are n the Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy! https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arrived in 2000 today. Made good time on the journey, so time for a bit of sledging with the kids before it was fun for dinner. Now, as I write this, nursing a glass of best ‘chalet red’, board and kit prepped ready for first day tomorrow. Soooooo much snow lying around compared to this time last year...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Starting my second week in 1950 and it’s been a blast. Fantastic sun over the weekend and today it’s been just perfect, just about the right temperature all morning to keep the pistes lovely and crisp. Had a lesson with Aim in the morning and we spent the time on the reds around 1600 and they were awesome. Got slushie after lunch so spent the rest of the afternoon praticing in 1950.

Looking out the window and it’s snowing gently. Unbelievable
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Monday 9 April. What a winter we are having! Conditions right now are still great for this time of year. You can ski to all stations across the whole Paradiski area and if you follow the sun you can get the best from the spring conditions. But with more fresh snow arriving. It look's like we are in for more powder days. I just hope the rain holds off.

I have just posted the photos from yesterday in the Easter Holiday 2018 album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page for those that are interested in seeing what conditions look like right now. I will try and add the best photos from the previous days which I did not post tomorrow evening in the same album.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1662450857164707

For anyone that wants to meet up for a ski. Please send me a PM for more details. Hope all those that have just arrived have a good holiday. With all the activities around La Plagne at various lifts just starting it is worth taking a trip over the other side this week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great first day for us. The new Pre St Esprit lift makes all the difference in 2000 area.

Meanwhile it was great to ski down to 1800 and not have to dodge rocks/bare patches etc. Pistes are in amazing condition.

Le Lac was shut off today as well as the blue that links it form Eidelwiess. I am assuming it’s Avi Risk cautions, anyone know any different?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richie_S wrote:
Le Lac was shut off today as well as the blue that links it form Eidelwiess. I am assuming it’s Avi Risk cautions, anyone know any different?

If you take a look at the slope just above Le Lac/top of Eidelwiess you'll see why! Massive separation in the snow pack and ready to slide at any time. It's been like that since about Wednesday last week when we were there. If you go back a page you'll see my picture of a slide that ended up on Vallee d'larc a bit further down.

The Pre St Esprit does make a difference. We stayed in 1950 again this year and having a ski down the valley to the lift as a first run and being dropped (quickly) above the Arcabulle makes access from 1950/2000 much improved.

Hope you have a great week!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks @munter, will look more closely tomorrow. Yes, saw that photo and looked out for the ‘aftermath’ on the bus ride in.

Today was a tale of two halves... morning, hard packed pistes and poor visibility. Took lunch at Red Rock in 2000 having picked up two of our boys from lessons, by which time it started to snow. Snowed ‘heavily’ though lunch and then cleared as we headed back out... an inch or two and the general warming up ‘transformed’ the pistes. At the same time, the skies cleared and we had blue skies and sun.

A loop down Valle D’Larc, up Comborciere and lapped Mont Blanc a couple of times in drifting cloud, before returning to the bowl via Arpette and Eidelweiss. One son and mother returned back to chalet, so eldest son and I lapped the Plagnettes lift and the reds off it a few times before returning ‘home’. Poor fella had a heavy fall and somehow fell onto his pole, winding himself in the process. A few tears as he got his breath back but very proud of the way he picked himself up and got back on the horse so to speak.

Meanwhile, 5 year old has been ‘on the big slopes’ and lessons took him down to Pre St Esprit as well as Marmottes. That was a goal for this holiday so it’s nice to see it ticked off on day 2. Onwards and upwards.

Chalet hosts did a good job of dinner tonight, deep fried cheese followed by pork / dauphinoise potatoes. Tomorrow is their day off and we fend for ourselves - aka eat out and stuff our faces with cheese based local specialities...

Still can’t quite believe how good the conditions are.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice to be back again. These little breaks are good for my soul. They make me realize how lucky I am to get to be here all winter.

Anyone wanting to ski tomorrow send me a PM before 9am in the morning. Should be some fresh snow around if we are lucky.

I just heard it has been quite windy up top the last few days, but still some good snow in the protected places. There is plenty of snow about, but as the avalanches reported in the press in the last few days demonstrate. The mixed temperatures have really started to effect the snow pack.

Be careful out there! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thursday 12 April. The holidays are almost over so time to start the April 2018 Album. It was nice to be back today and although windy, when out of the wind the warm temperatures made it fun to ski on spring snow.

We headed over to La Plagne with few people around. No lift queues today. Found some good spring snow on south facing slopes away from the wind then fought our way back to Les Arcs against strong winds and even the rope tow above Les Coches was closed. I watched as some kids were being blown backwards. Not easy to fight the strong winds. Even the Vanoise Express was rocking a little!

Back in Les Arcs and a ski across to the Vagere and home. No stop at the waterslide today. To cold in the wind!

The pistes today on the Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 side were a little more protected in some places, but most areas were very wind blown and polished on piste. Off piste it was very hard packed from the wind in exposed areas. The Arc 2000 bowl on the way to the Vanoise in the morning was also very hard packed and polished on piste, but I did hear that under the Varet Gondola when it opened and in the more protected areas of the Aiguille Rouge were also OK. The Grand Col also opened for a short time, but it was quite wind blown in places.

On the La Plagne side the pistes out of the wind were OK, but anywhere even a little exposed was very polished and tricky.

My advice right now for the next few days. Follow the sun, but also try and stay protected from the wind and you should have a good day.

Take a look at the photos in the new April 2018 Album on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page if you are interested in seeing what conditions were like today.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1675520505857742

Tomorrow will hopefully bring us fresh snow. If you are interested in meeting up. Send me a PM before 8.30am as I will be leaving early.

I hope all those that have arrived are having a good holiday and hope to see some of you during the week. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Friday 13 April. Fresh untracked powder on a firm base. Yet again the Bellecote does not disappoint!

We all headed up to the Bellecote today and managed two laps of the bowl. First a nice little drop in followed by a long powder field untracked most of the way to the Bellecote chair. Then a second lap down the right hand side in more fresh snow followed by spring snow with no crust the whole way down to the chair again. Very nice!

Then onto the Rodzan face! They skied the fluff on the open face, OK, but a little messy! But still some powder as well all the way down to the forest track out! The snow only became heavy just before the forest track. Not bad for April!

It was kind of strange looking down on the others going along the river valley route! But the snowboarders had really messed up the traverse path out for us!

However both routes were still worth the effort and with only a few more days to go I am sure I will be back again at least one more time!

Take a look at the photos for today in the April 2018 Album if you want to see what conditions were like.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1675520505857742

The pistes had been freshened up nicely by the light snowfall last night all across Les Arcs and La Plagne. However by the time we returned home they were once more becoming worn in the busy places.

The off piste was very mixed with some great powder again, but also spring snow and hard pack. You had to choose your line carefully! There were some slides about so timing was everything today to stay safe!

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow needs to PM me before 9am in the morning for meet up details. You will need arvi gear as we plan on another fun route if the weather is OK.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All packed and ready to go home. Had an amazing 2 weeks, thanks for all the advice in this thread it was really helpful.

Until next time
snow report
Saturday 14 April. It turned out to be another powder day and a Spring snow day.

The sun came out for a while, but then went behind the high clouds and for a short time we even had light snow high on the Bellecote.

Despite this the powder higher up was great and the spring snow on the lower slopes all the way to the finish was excellent.

We had a fast piste ski across Les Arcs on the way to the Vanoise Express via Arc 2000 bowl and all the way from the top of the Transarc down to Peisey.

Then another fast piste ski to the Bellecote glacier. A lap of the bowl in very nice powder and then into the Canadian Couloir by a higher, but still easier entrance. Down the right side and onto the next face. Then through the cliffs to the bottom.

Next a traverse under the main face onto the meadows for some great untracked spring snow all the way to the exit and back to the bus.

A nice picnic and a beer then over to meet others on the Arc 2000 side.

Finally a nice ski down to Arc 1600 from the Arpette ridge on the off piste which had started to harden again then home.

The pistes everywhere are still in very good condition for April and will easily last to the end of the season. The off piste needs to be skied as the sun warms it up. Timing is king in the spring! If you want to enjoy the best of what is on offer, take a guide. You will not be disappointed.

Anyone wanting to see what the snow was like today take a look in the April 2018 Album.

Tomorrow is picnic day. For anyone interested in an off piste ski first. Meet at the Vanoise Express at 10.15am. Please bring arvi gear. Better to be safe!
snow report
Sunday 15 April. Today the sun came out. A large group headed over to La Plagne. Some went straight to the picnic hut, other had a little off piste down Brown Trouser Ridge and through the valley to the Rossa Chair.

Then I had a little extra run down the middle ridge in more nice spring snow before our picnic at the Champagny Hut.

A very nice last meeting up for many people that have been out this season. Then time to say our goodbyes!

After heading up the lifts it was time for a quick run down the Petit North Face of the Bellecote then home through Les Arcs with a little waterslide on the way.

A really nice day in the sun with good company, plenty of wine and lots of food!

I have posted photos of the off piste route in the April 2018 Album. https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1675520505857742

Anyone wanting to join us tomorrow. Please send me a PM for meet up details.

For anyone that needs any little extras or even other ski and snowboard gear. Polaire Star Ski Shop​ at the bottom of the Funi in Bourg are having an end of season sale. Discounts on various items. Check at the shop for more details. They are also still open for rentals until the 28 April!! http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
Leaving now after 4 day in Les Coches, conditions are remarkable really
snow report
Monday 16 April. With poor light and very soft snow today we headed over to La Plagne via the Arc 2000 bowl and the top of the Transarc with two plans. First, if Bellecote did open then another trip down the North Face. OR if it stayed closed then check out the Subli Cimes 5 Sommets event.

First I checked out a drop they created yesterday off piste that nearly caught me out! Be careful off piste you never know what you might find! See the photos I have posted today! It was made by the snowploughs! Yikes!

Then it was up too the Roche de Mio. Bellecote closed so plan B. Checked out the activities then a fast ski to Champagny village.

Next up Verdon Sud and across to Montalbert Fornelet sommet to see what was on offer.

Then back to Plagne Centre and up Grande Rochette. More things to see, but we arrived during lunch break.

Next for those that want to take in all the sommets. Down the back and up to La Rossa.

Finally back towards Les Coches and the Zen area at the top of the Arpette.

Time for a fast ski back to the Vanoise Express and a late lunch at the Solan by the Vanoise Express in Peisey.

Heading for home in very soft snow, Up Derby and Transarc then all the way down the Arc 2000 bowl to the Bois de l'ours chair. Down the black piste and into the snowpark finishing back in Arc 1600.

It turned out to be quite a ski. We covered most of the high and low spots of almost all the Paradiski area. All the pistes were OK to ski even down to Champagny village! The off piste was very very soft and slippy so we stayed on piste most of the day.

Check out the photos I have posted in the April 2018 Album to see most of the activities. Remember to scroll towards the end of the Album for the latest photos.

Tomorrow it is hard to plan due to the weather. If you are interested in joining us, send me a PM before 9am in the morning.

For those asking about next week. Here is a copy of the piste map of what will be open from 23 April in Les Arcs. On the La Plagne side Montalbert, Montchavin Le Coches and Champagny areas will all be closed. The Vanoise Express will also be closed. The main La Plagne Centre, Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote areas plus the Bellecote Glacier will be open weather permitting. I hope that helps with everyone's planning.

https://www.lesarcs.com/infos-live/zoom-sur/printemps-du-ski-aux-arcs.html
snow report
morning all, just booked New Years week in a chalet at Peisey Nancroix with 11 others on 30th Dec, finally had to succumb to skiing a peak week due to daughters exams later in the year.

A couple of quick questions, roughly how much were transfers from Geneva this season? Trying to work out if I should hire a car. There will be 4 of us.

Looks like I'm a short walk from the Lonzagne bucket lift, I assume that runs both ways to download at the end of the day as well as upload at the start and isn't affected by snow conditions, ie will still run if there is no snow low down??

Looks like I'm into Les Arcs 1600m and the Piesey lift, did that run at New Year 2 years ago when the snow wasn't quite so good.

and lastly @snowcrazy mentioned early season discounts on pre-booked lift passes, would that be applicable over New Year and do they do that early booking discount every year?

regards,

Greg
snow report
Hi

Lonzagne bucket lift always runs regardless of whether there is snow to the valley floor level. It does indeed provide download at the end of the day (it is possible to ski back down if the snow is really good). Travelling on the Lonzagne makes a very relaxing start and end of the day I find. BTW the Lonzagne takes you to Plan Peisey where the Vanoise Express departs from and also where the Peisey chair departs from to access the main Les Arcs ski area.

Where are you staying in Peisey Nancroix? I have been there a number of times - really lovely mountain village.

Griggs
snow conditions
@Griggs, staying here http://thedeerlodge.co.uk/
ski holidays
@Griggs, My neices used Altibus this Easter https://www.altibus.com and paid about 70euros one way. However the web site says with a group of 4 people it is 131 euros each for a return trip.

The last time my wife transfered from Geneva to Les Arcs she used SNCF and the funicular. I think it cost about 30 euros each way.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Looks like I'm into Les Arcs 1600m and the Piesey lift, did that run at New Year 2 years ago when the snow wasn't quite so good.

I've never been there when the links to and from the Vanoise Express weren't open due to snowmaking. And I've been there at Christmas and April staying in Les Coches during poor seasons so you should have no issues.
snow report
@johnE, thanks so over 500 euros for four, reckon a hire car will be cheaper!
latest report
Tuesday 17 April. What a day! Blue sky, little wind and spring snow. Very nice!

The Spring has truly arrived. Warm temperatures and mixed snow conditions mean timing is everything. If you follow the sun when on piste you should have a good day. The heavy refreeze at night means that everything is crusty or hard and polished first thing in the morning, but repaidly becoming softer as the day progresses.

The off piste is similar, but in true spring conditions the window of good snow is quite tight. Get it right and you will have excellent spring conditions. Get there to early and it will either be hard crust or soft soup! If you want to get the best from these conditions. Take a guide. They should know where to find the best snow throughout the day.

On Tuesday we started with a ski across Les Arcs and up Varet gondola. Then over to the Grand Col and a skin to the ridge. Down the couloir and a ski in spring snow to the avalanche near the bottom before Planay. Across the avalanche which is now mostly recovered and covered with soft snow due to the spring conditions.

But then time to hike. The snow runs out just before the village. Walking back to the piste above Planay village. Then a couple more shorter hikes where the snow was too thin for skiing and back up the chairs and down to Bourg.

Well done guys. Not easy with the extra loads. If you want to see the photos from the trip down the Grand Col. Go to the April 2018 Album on the Les Winter facebook page.

It was an interesting route and the guys said it was worth the effort of the hikes at the end for the spring snow on the way down. However I do not think they will be doing it again.

Unfortunately for me, a little mishap and a taxi ride off the mountain means that is me done now for this winter. Been a great one despite a few mishaps! I look forward to seeing you all again in the summer or next winter. For those I had hoped to see sooner, I might be a little delayed. I will be in touch!

Have a good summer!

@kitenski, Discount ski passes normally go on sale in October for one month for short visits. You need to be quick and keep you eye open for when the announce the sale. I normally try and post the details on the Les Arcs Winter page as soon as they let me know. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, Sorry to hear of your mishap. I hope you recover quickly and well.

It has been a great season. Thank you for your posts they have been very interesting.

TBH in roughly 30 years of skiing I cannot recall so musch good snow.

No I hope the snow clears quickly so we can start the VTT season without cycling across snow and can walk up to the huts without trudging across soft strength sapping stuff.
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, many thanks for the snow reports. Sorry to hear about your mishap - what happened and are you badly hurt?

Quote:

No I hope the snow clears quickly so we can start the VTT season without cycling across snow and can walk up to the huts without trudging across soft strength sapping stuff.

Not until the 28th, please!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Goodbye Les Arcs for another winter. The lifts closed yesterday and most people are leaving. Always sad to bring the season to a close, but what a winter it has been. Despite finishing with a hurt leg, for me it has been another great season. Loads of powder days and plenty of fun on and off piste. For anyone still around, there is still plenty of snow higher up and loads of ski touring to be done. The wild life is only just starting to wake up again as spring has now arrived although there is a storm passing through right now which I am sure will bring more fresh snow higher on the mountains.

It's been great to meet so many people from snowheads this winter and even get to ski with some of you. Thanks to the many people that have wished me well in my recovery. All is fine. and I am looking forward to next season all ready.

For anyone coming out in the summer months. I will be posting updates over on the Les Arcs Summer facebook page as the summer season draws nearer.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsSummer

I shall also post here as I get any news worth sharing during the quiet period. There are interesting plans for the lifts this spring and yet more building work in some stations. Watch this space!

I hope you all enjoy the summer months and hope to see many of you again next winter. Very Happy
latest report
@snowcrazy, Thanks for updates during the winter. What are the known life plans this summer? Comborciere is to be replaced?
snow report
Quote:

What are the known life plans this summer? Comborciere is to be replaced?

I like the fact that replacing Comborciere is a life plan Very Happy I remeber sitting on it at Easter and saying to my wife "this is probably the last time on this venrable lift. - Then we went straight down Comborciere again and back up. What a year for good snow.
ski holidays
@johnE, Indeed, part of my life plan. Comborciere run itself is a beast, a beautiful beast at times but since we moved to boards we haven't been brave enough to venture onto it. Moguls and snowboards dont' mix. The downside of Pre Saint being replaced has the increased traffic with ski schools in the bowl, however this does make other areas much quieter, too much heading to the bowl in the morning, we normally run elsewhere.
latest report
@snowcrazy, What a winter, thanks for the updates. Hope to see you over the summer, maybe in Georges - and hope the injuries get better in time for biking too.

Speaking with Phillip, owner of the Chalet Pre St Esprit restaurant, he's already gearing up for providing lunches for the workers on the Combourciere replacement this summer. So yes, the locals are on-board with it.
Just wish someone would make a credible statement about terra-forming the run, into potentially something accessible from the 1600 side. Just don't F88k with Malgovert!

Will try to get update photos from our July visit.
latest report
@Arctic Roll, If you were so sad as to look at the Mont Blanc camera you will notice they have been very quick to dig a path around from Comborciere to it, a look of work to take place this side and still tons of snow.
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, I thought Cascades was always popular with ski schools. IIRC it was one of the original mauve areas designated for slow skiing. Even now I always go slowly down it.

Combourciere is sometimes pisted. We went down it not long after the piste bashers had been down at Christmas and I realised just how steep it really is. To us it is one of the "trade routes" over to the 2000 valley - up Combettes, Cachette, Clocheret and down Combourciere (well actually Muguet, but that doesn't start with a C)

The amount of snow still around in May is awesome. I am already getting concerned about my summer holidays. Will there be too much snow to make it upto the huts?

@Arctic Roll, When are you out in July. We will probably be out for a couple weeks in July, but haven't planned anything yet. It would be nice to meet up for a drink.
snow conditions
@johnE, for 10 days around the TdF - 15th to 25th I think? Agree - if you are in town, let's try to meet up (we can cycle over to 1600 maybe...)
latest report
They have actually sent a JCB up to Transarc to dig out a paths back into the bowl there is so much snow. That was a long conference call, watching snow melt is more fun.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
...watching snow melt is more fun.
It will take a long time this summer! Was amazed by how much snow there is still when I was in Les Arcs last week. It was terrific to be able to ski in and out of my place in the last week of April, normally it needs a walk of 100m or so, especially once they stop pisting the little run which goes direct to our building. This time there was still about a metre of snow outside the entrance to our ski locker room Happy Just had a quick glance at the Arcabulle webcam, and it doesn't look like anything has melted at all!
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Even the combettes livecam shows almost complete piste cover. Last April this was a thin line of harvested snow.The entrance to Claire Blanc looks good. Even during the middle of the season this is often bare.
ski holidays
They are busy digging up hard packed snow to try get it to thaw and create paths through the resort.

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy