Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2017/2018-and useful links.

Poster: A snowHead
@scottishandy, Milan is actually not too bad in the overall scheme of things

Been a pretty full on morning snowing heavy at times but so much snow means you have to ski steep lines and that's only really safe in the trees.

We did get some nice lines though, video to come soon Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep hoping so. Just booked for Tuesday Sunday, boy is car hire cheap in Milan!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@scottishandy be careful. The only time we've flown to Milan,in summer several years ago, we ended up with a Daewoo Matiz that couldn't climb the hills and was terrifying on the autostrada around Milan. I don't think there was much clutch left by the time we got it back there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hopefully booked a fiesta, with chains. Keep the freshies coming till Tuesday for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Today's action featuring @JackSkier, and @KenX - and a crackin wipeout Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/RoK6_z_eYNI
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Did you forget to wipe the lens? Laughing
Was an awesome day out Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@KenX, i was playing around with filters. Thought it looked quite funky 😀
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all, a transport question, hope it's OK in this thread (more "useful links" than "snow report"....)

We'll be three people needing to get from Serre Chevalier (specifically Bez village) to Meribel on Saturday 24 March. (Including luggage and at least one pair of skis).

It looks like there are some train options heading from Briançon or Oulx to Moutiers, but that'll end up taking most of the day. We'd rather do some skiing in the day before heading to Meribel by road in the afternoon or evening.

Any recommendations for a taxi firm that might be willing to do the journey? (or other advice welcome....)

Thanks in advance!

James
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@parigi, transfer bus to Grenoble and then another to Meribel?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@parigi, is money no object ? Just that I'd imagine you'd be looking at well over €400 for that trip.

I could get you the numbers of a couple of taxi drivers but they are so extortionate!

As for today......

Twas a bluebird day starting off with not a cloud in the sky and a lot of blasting.

Pikey and I went up around 08:45 and did some nice lines off the back of Grand Serre heading for Cloth Gauthier and Eychauda drag which was opening up.

Did four or five very sweet lines off the ridge, (meeting up with a crazy friend of Pike's) though the queue was a bit of a bun fight and as ever there were so many people without even basic security kit, it does make you wonder as there was so much evidence of both controlled activity and natural, they must have been very sure that nothing was going to go.

Last couple of runs as the hordes were in full force we went up the ski school line where no one was and the liftie smiled at us as by then we were only using the lift to gain access to the Clot Gauthier ridge (and Pikey is rather well known in the valley) and then hiking up to the top, where I took this little pic of a natural slide, can you make out what might have set it off?

Did manage to capture and be captured in this little vid which shows how sweet it was, though we did pass on doing the Grand Tete.

http://youtube.com/v/_Rtlf6Nv4Ic

Only downer of the day was that I did a massive wipe out (head over heels) and lost my sunglasses, but better than a busted neck!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@parigi, there's a Facebook group "Serre Chevalier, Buy It, Sell It, Rent It"....you could advertise on that. Maybe someone would drive you on a cost plus time basis....you never know....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks @Hells Bells, @Weathercam, @Skevinski. Liking the look of the conditions you had today Weathercam!

Transfer to Grenoble and transfer from there to Meribel looks plausible but would take up most of the day and not end up so super-cheap either, once there are three of us involved. So, something extortionate that gets another day on the slopes and less time on the road could end up worth it, once divided by 3.... Weathercam I'll drop you a pm (and I'll try that Facebook group too).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied all day yesterday from 9 till 5, can't remember the last time that happened! Something to do with pistes in fantastic condition and good company in the form of retrobod and his buddy Simon, who were staying with LynnX and I for a long weekend.
Simon managed to put the Pré du Bois drag lift out of commission for 40 minutes:

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-04 at 19.00.08
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@KenX, @LynnX can't thank you enough for you kind and wholesome hospitality over our long weekend. Having played the powder on Friday afternoon and all day Saturday, Sunday was to be a real piste pounder under a blue-bird sky. On Sunday Serre Che was certainly wearing her bestest party dress. This was my 4th visit to the Serre Che valley (discounting the 2 trips in the 1970's) and I can safely say I have never skied the pistes is such great condition. We gathered the full house of home runs, Briancon (Vauban), Monetier (Tabuc), Villeneuve (Casse du Boeuf) and finally our last run of the weekend Chantemerle (Luc Alphand). So many memories making 2½ days skiing feel more like a week, I'll be back, thanks again @KenX and @LynnX.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RetroBod,
latest report
2 brilliant days so far on excellent piste snow. Any of you locals know what is happening with the Prorel chair. The bus is a bind
latest report
@NE1, it's been broken for 2 days as I'm sure you know.....
No news on when it's running again, hopefully soon!
snow report
KenX wrote:
@NE1, it's been broken for 2 days as I'm sure you know.....
No news on when it's running again, hopefully soon!

Thanks the sign does say 48hr minimum
snow report
Prorel: they have to replace the motor. According to the Dauphiné the replacement has been received from Belgium. They are working on it (video on the Daupiné site). They are hoping to have it back in action tomorrow....but maybe not first thing.
latest report
@Skevinski,

Thank you. That’s a serious breakdown
snow report
Just seen this on Twitter.
snow report
Weather forecast certainly changing every six hours or so, sometimes for the good.

Going to be very interesting as to how it pans out weekend onwards - mind you Meteociel had cloudy sky and snow showers for today and we've had a fair amount of sunshine and I'm sitting here with the patio door open.

I skated up to Le Casset this morning from Pointless and on my return was in the WC there and there were these two Brits skiers, one very much a FreeRider and I asked them what it was like up the hill and they replied "very very busy" so I said something along the lines of "that why I'm doing this" then they asked "is it some sort of holidays going on as there are so many kids around" Laughing

I did say it will be a lot quieter next week and they sighed with relief as they are here for two weeks.
latest report
Hells Bells, prorel running from this morning.
Another brilliant day snow wise
latest report
This is busy? Great day on the hill, hardly a queue in sight that I could see. Snow is great although fresh lines are getting harder to find, need to spend more time in trees I think. Pointless best place for this?
snow conditions
@scottishandy, Cretes drag off to the right in the trees maybe........

See the forecast has changed again for next week and weekend will all be about where the FL is.

As for today looks bright and sunny and twas minus 6 - will warm up quickly though.

Will probably go for another skate up to Le Casset bit of a breeze but hopefully will not be as windy as yesterday, and maybe later go up the hill and see how snow is transforming as have a plan for tomorrow Cool
snow conditions
Thanks for the tip, didn't get there in the end but got some fantastic lines around the place. Brief walk towards Cucmelle gave a nice finish to the day. Last sunny day tomorrow and I wonder what it will do on Saturday. Snow holding up well atm but tracked out unless you know the secret spots!
snow conditions
@scottishandy, we're touring tomorrow hopefully snow will have transformed, tis a bit of a gamble as I hear it was cold up high.

Our objective anyway left of picture, this was taken by my mate on Tuesday

Basically if you're up on the hill tomorrow look over the other side of the valley
snow report
What the locals think about tomorrow’s weather forecast? It looks horrid to the tourist
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We think it could be as bad as forecast, fingers crossed it isn't...................
ski holidays
Hat's off to Weathercam, sorted a trip up La Gardiole from just above Chantemerle to the summit with myself, Skevinski and 4 Norwegian friends from La Grave;

At the summit at 2753m, 1200+m skin up and 6.4km glorious off-piste descent:

WhatsApp Image 2018-03-09 at 17.44.35

I was in front so the Rando Chiens were with Weathercam at the back so they didn't get run over! Some of the pitches went on for over 1km and I just didn't want to stop Very Happy

More info from Weathercam coming this way soon.........
ski holidays
Looks like the weather persons got it right 😢. Last day on snow this year and now it looks like that was actually yesterday. 😢😢
latest report
@NE1, snowing up in Monetier
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, hopefully that will stay that way, though down here temps are +3 and it's dank.

Not tempted to do to much today.

Yesterday was most pleasant.

Decided on one of our favourite back yard tours and conditions were way better than expected though dogs found it hard going Smile

http://youtube.com/v/EQ4T1RMYEp8

This warm wet weather is going to play havoc with the snow pack and avy risk is going from 3 to 4 on all aspects.

Then could well need a few more days for things to stabilise

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/bulletin-avalanches/thabor/OPP13

Think next week will very much be one day at a time.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@NE1, snowing up in Monetier

It’s like a rainy day in the NE in Briançon, raining cats & dogs
snow conditions
Some wet soggy flakes falling out of the sky now.

Might be snow but not was we know it Laughing

Have had some interesting photos pop up on my various time lines and what is amazing is just how much snow we have compared to previous years at this time.

Should be really good up to end of the season and beyond.

There's one valley where I've not even been this season and can't see that being an option for another month or so.
latest report

snow report
This is pretty serious - I've personally never seen Risk 4 for all aspects and more importantly all altitudes - be careful even if skiing around close to the piste in gulleys and the like.

Few years ago a young snowboarder was killed really close to the Vallons piste.

They've been blasting all morning even then they can't get to everything - be interesting to see if they open any top lifts up?

ski holidays
Just interested, if you were planning a family trip to Serre Chevelier, which would be the best town to stay in? We were thinking Villeneuve or Monetiers, but thought it worth getting a second/third opinion.
ski holidays
@FrediKanoute, how old are the children? What do you want to do apart from skiing?
snow report
Montgenevre* and Lautaret now closed.

Italian neighbours probably now stuck here till tomorrow.

Just been shopping in Briancon and rain down there.

* that will be closed due to potential avy risk from the ridge high above where it avalanches about once a season coming down over the road near the Napoleon fountain.

Just taken a look at the interactive piste map, and not really too surprising that not too much open in Monetier and links also closed.

Here surprising the Crete drag is closed don't know if that is mechanical or for avy risk - usually that is open in storms and is one of our favourite lifts to access some safe lines.

Best bet is Chantermerle

https://www.serre-chevalier.com/en/winter/ski-area/piste-map/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy