Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
@bar shaker, Thanks for clearing that up.

@hodgkins, Pretty sure we have a mate who also bought a 'Val pass last season but activated it initially in Tignes.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hodgkins,
Good advice. Cheers for that.
Starting off the season with a 5 week-er. 4 in EK, 1 in 3V. Snoworks course last week in Nov to remind me what I know I should be doing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who is out for the opening weekend?

I'm out with my gf, staying La Daille.

I'm then back with a mate on the 9th Dec for some off piste action and maybe watch a bit of the racing.

Perhaps we could have a snowheads meet up somewhere over the weekend.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bar shaker wrote:
I'm then back with a mate on the 9th Dec for some off piste action and maybe watch a bit of the racing.

OP on 9th Dec Shock
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am out for the first week of Dec, then back for 3 weeks over X Mas.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

OP on 9th Dec Shock

Last year, opening weekend (November) was knee deep fresh powder and we had the resort to ourselves. The best off piste weekend I've ever had.

Fingers crossed for something even half as good this year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bar shaker, yeh I've had similiar on two trips to Val before Xmas, but also can be nothing as I'm sure you know Smile Bonne Chance!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker,
Out on 25/11. So first day will be the Sunday. Mon to Fri mornings will be a snoworks course. Then a week in the 3V from the Sunday. Then 3 weeks in Tignes until 30/12.
Happy to meet up.
I will be happy to be there whatever the conditions
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any first hand knowledge of conditions on the glacier. Can't imagine it is any better than here and decision has been taken not to open for Toussaint here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Claude B, Tignes website suggests that glacier is open. Webcam showing small dots what may be skiers Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Claude B, There are some videos of the French team training recently on the Tignes glacier, the latest is here.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys. Might chance a trip 1st week of Toussaint. My girlfriend has skied all her life at Alpe d'Huez but never at Toussaint or in the summer. She came here in August when we were closed and will be here again at Toussaint. She's really disappointed 😯
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Er...what's Toussaint Puzzled

The Tignes glacier looks pretty decent for the time of year (great - as we're off there in 3 weeks' time Smile).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 17-10-17 21:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Toussaint, All Saints. The French have 2 weeks school holiday (she's a teacher). Roughly equates to our October half term.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be on the Tignes glacier in two weeks time. Will report back.
ski holidays
^^^Would that be two weeks this weekend bar shaker? If so, same time as Mrs MA and me. A long weekend for us, with 3 days' skiing.

And see there's 20+cm of SNOW forecast this weekend? Mainly above 2500m or so but with the freezing level as low as 1600m at times Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy.

EDIT: Since this morning the ^^^ forecast amount of snow has now been downgraded to only about 8cm... rolling eyes
snow report
@mountainaddict, we are going 27th-29th Oct. Are you out the same time?

We are just expecting to do the mornings, one on skis, one of my board, all as a bit of a shakedown before the season really starts. I'm getting very excited about being on the hill again. snowHead
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, @bar shaker,
Grrrrr. We don't want to know!! Some of us have more than a month to wait Evil or Very Mad
Green with envy!
snow report
Claude B wrote:
Any first hand knowledge of conditions on the glacier. Can't imagine it is any better than here and decision has been taken not to open for Toussaint here.

Looks pretty good from these pics just posted

https://www.facebook.com/pg/snoworks/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1693602527331342
snow report
^^^^Conditions on that link look far from shabby for the time of year Very Happy.

We once went to Tignes in the first week of November to find very tricky/icy conditions. Still managed to enjoy ourselves but spent all our time just clattering about on boiler plate snow...Conditions look a fair bit better than that at the moment and there's a bit of snow forecast.

Quote:
mountainaddict we are going 27th-29th Oct. Are you out the same time?
No bar shaker, we're out there from 3-6 Nov. We're planning on also taking walking kit so that we can go hiking on arrival afternoon and maybe at other times too if the skiing is a bit limited for three full days on the slopes.

We've found some bargain ski hire - cheaper than easyjet's (now very expensive) £71 and easier than lugging a ski bag. €29 each for 3 days by booking online at Intersport, next to the Grande Motte car park.
snow report
I think we'll go up and ski for a day next week. Will decide which at weekend. Probably combine with a road trip taking in a couple of cols and an overnight nearby. Expensive days skiing, it would have cost me nothing here 😯

Guess it will be rammed with race teams being the only option in France. Unpleasant morning scrums on the funicular.
snow report
@kitenski, That'll do nicely!!

@mountainaddict, the hike from La Daille, up the Vallée Predu, over Tovieres and back around the Lac Chevril is one of my faves. Beautiful views of the Chevril waterfall and the hard bit is all over by the time you get above La Daille. That's a good price for the ski hire. Where is the shop? I leave all my kit out there but am taking a new board out. If you ring Easyjet, you can take ski equipment one way wink

@Claude B, The race teams have a separate area. It's never crowded.
ski holidays
@bar shaker, Thanks. I've been once before at Toussaint, about 6 years ago. I just remember the queue for the funicular being unpleasant first thing. Same here in summer, etc tbh. What are the opening times? Prob best to wait until rush dies down.
ski holidays
@Claude B, 08.30 to 15.30
snow report
@bar shaker, Thanks.
snow report
We are out from 9th to 16th. Let us know if there is a Snowheads get together! We are then back again on 16th Jan for the season. Lift pass successfully purchased, now I just have to get to grips with the parking....... Confused
ski holidays
Quote:
The hike from La Daille, up the Vallée Predu, over Tovieres and back around the Lac Chevril is one of my faves. Beautiful views of the Chevril waterfall and the hard bit is all over by the time you get above La Daille.
Thanks for the hiking tip - sounds good. We once did a route from La Daille that went along Lac Chevril then turned left and climbed steeply up to the flat meadow below Toviere; then descended back to La D. Where's the bottom of Vallee Perdu??

Quote:
That's a good price for the ski hire. Where is the shop?
A few branches of Intersport to pick from - eg 2 on the main road up to the glacier at Val Claret. One is just about next door to our apartment - ie the big sports shop just before the Diva Hotel. Here's the link I found for the cheap hire - it's from the Daily Telegraph:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/deals/exclusive-5--off-with-intersport-ski-hire/amp/
latest report
Should be a few cms of snow on Sunday and Monday, it will feel like early winter with a snowline down to Brev potentially. The Jetstream sets off north again on Tuesday with high pressure looking to dominate until Halloween, it will also be quite warm by day from Tuesday which will be the best days skiing thanks to the new snow, although it will be a bit gusty. From Wednesday winter will seem quite a distant prospect. Enjoy!

One month today..........
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello,

I am searching for an accommodation for 8 persons third week (20.1.-27.1.) in January next year. We prefer to self-cater. I've briefly checked official Tignes webpage for accommodation and it seems that they are little pricey for what they offer (=expensive and small)...

Do any of guys know any good accommodation?

Thanks!
snow report
Out here again 9th -16th December can't wait to, came out the same time last year and an awesome time.
ski holidays
matejp wrote:
Hello,

I am searching for an accommodation for 8 persons third week (20.1.-27.1.) in January next year. We prefer to self-cater. I've briefly checked official Tignes webpage for accommodation and it seems that they are little pricey for what they offer (=expensive and small)...

Do any of guys know any good accommodation?

Thanks!

Try here:- https://www.tignes.co.uk/selfcatering.htm
latest report
In the end the best STGM on the season pass was E1170. So gone with a V'I EK pass at E975 as I had to order by 27/10 to get that price. Too much of a difference. Just ordered. I do wonder how much STGM lose out on this. Probably not that much but it does seem strange to have such a big difference. Early trip now fully organised. Day one for me will be 26/11, Sunday. Now we just need some of the funny stuff to fall.
ski holidays
@matejp, Check AirBnB theres quite a few bigger apartments on their now, even the conservative French are getting fed up with agents.
snow report
Watch out for fake properties on Airbnb. My mate was looking for accom in Tignes and came across One.

If they look too nice, too cheap or don’t look like they’re in Tignes, they’re probably fake. The one he found had trees outside - which we all know don’t exist in Lac.

Either way, always pay for the accom via the platform to be protected.
snow report
@hodgkins, Fair point, but there are a couple of large apts for 8 (not the 60s boxes) in my block that I know are marketed solely on airbnb. The best thing would be to provide a link and there should be somebody on here who recognises it, especially if there is a view out through a window!

Snow/slush down to Brev this morning but the glacier is shut due to wind, should be some nice conditions tomorrow morning on high as the sun comes out.
snow conditions
Well, within the space of Friday night to Sunday morning, we managed to book the christmas week with Espirit in Val.D. Weirdly Tuesday to Tuesday, but then there you go. Surprisingly affordable, with one of the kids somehow landing a close-on 90% discount...
snow report
Maybe add Ultimate Snowsports to the list of British instructors.
snow conditions
@matejp, We've used a couple of agencies in Tignes and they've been okay.

Tilt/Panoramic. http://www.panoramic-tignes.net/

Agence Roc Blanc.
http://reservation.agence-rocblanc.com/ Roc Blanc were very easy to deal with and their office is just a few yards from the snow front in the Palafour building in Le Lac.

In the last two years we've used Airbnb for apartments/a holiday home in both Tignes and Italy. Never had a problem but as mentioned above don't be tempted to leave "the platform" by the offer of a cheaper deal.

Probably also helps that we know Tignes well and exactly where/in which buildings we want to stay.
ski holidays
@matejp, https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9084705?location=Tignes%20le%20Lac%20France&children=0&infants=0&adults=8&guests=8&s=vhw-jxaZ .

Not sure how many separate rooms you need but this looks like two adjacent apartments.
snow conditions
Canned our trip now. Found a room at Moutainsun on Booking.com so rang them. They tell me that due to volume of skiers and closure over weekend it's limited to 4 hour passes (10 - 2 or 12 - 4) at 26€. Something like 200€ in total for 2 of us for 4 hours skiing is just too much 😯
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy