Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
duplicate

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 13-11-17 12:11; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cruise liner from Worcestershire sails in 12 days.
Ski Pass arrived this morning.
Weather has cleared. Bashers out in force parked by Tichot. Bashers clearly been out on Bellvarde.
Pity the GM webcam has gone u/s.
Apart from that all is well with the world. Something is bound to go wrong!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
not much new snow up high then!!

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So this morning they report 20cm of new snow on the glacier and 7cm in resort. Tignes is a mystery in their reporting.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alex A wrote:
So this morning they report 20cm of new snow on the glacier and 7cm in resort. Tignes is a mystery in their reporting.

Well the text on that pic said "1 mètre de neige en une nuit sur le glacier de Tignes"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alex A wrote:

That is 20cm of snow in Tignes . wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alex A wrote:

That is 20cm of snow in Tignes . wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The picture above is probably the only sheltered place on the Grande Motte, it will have been blown around a bit elsewhere.

The drive up last night was "interesting", snow started at the first hairpin below St Foy village and it was blowing so hard that I was basically steering by looking out of the side windows to see how far I was from each curb.

There is a piste basher on Double M now but maybe just thinking that it will last better if it is pisted now, I won't be skiing down anytime soon.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good snowfence weather snowHead
https://www.bergfex.com/val-disere/webcams/c4918/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah sorry if it's a silly question but why bash all the new snow if it's not going to be skied for a while, does it help it build a base? Seems a waste to me but obviously I'm missing something as I know nothing about snow management.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Minion1980,
Quote:

does it help it build a base?

Yes, that's why. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
intermediate wrote:
@Minion1980,
Quote:

Thanks, obvious really I guess Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Minion1980 wrote:
intermediate wrote:
@Minion1980,
Quote:

Thanks, obvious really I guess Smile

Compacted snow melts slower and lasts longer than loose snow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.facebook.com/TignesUK/videos/526541861011611/?hc_ref=ARTkytF9oqPhvGQIxbjL8Oddv7nrkbujhMbm5KxKgeoXQznr-pzN0WPjKSy5fMNKF-w
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timg60 wrote:
Ok I can’t take it anymore.
Where the poubelle monitor? 😄

Does this help?
https://www.facebook.com/annesofie.hjort/videos/10155657509921648/
latest report
It looks like Double M and Bollin are opening on the 17th!
latest report
Well all that snow that wasn't on the top of the Tov had to land somewhere and we now know where... Just hoping they shut the ladies loo window this year Shocked Shocked Shocked

Skiplan confirms DM and Bollin due to open Friday - perfect or I believe the latest buzz phrase is

Simply, Simply Lovely!!
ski holidays
lol..chocks.....that's hilarious, incredible how that's gone viral and only those in the know would know....

I say..good shot sir
ski holidays
Really slow start today, it still looked pretty windy yesterday afternoon so none of the lifts had run until this morning. The snow over the weekend hasn't covered the rocks on the track parallel to the Panoramique chair, everyone had to walk across while the ice was being cleared from the cable car and most were falling over on the ice and rocks.

The snow on the glacier was good, bit soft for race training though.
snow report
@stefoy4me, I thank you!!
snow report
Looking forward to being back at Tignes; went a few times as a singly with friends but this will be the first time for the family. Kids (10 and 7) on their 5th ski week so they should be able to make the most of it at New Year. Will be interesting to see what's changed in 15 years. Focus will be more on restaurants than party bars this time Shock)
latest report
Snow looks good so far
snow report
8 days to go for me. Not that I am excited or anything! snowHead
latest report
I haven’t been to Espace Killy since Dec 2014, what’s new (lifts/pistes?) since my last visit then, anything?
ski holidays
^^^ New gondola out of Le Lac has replaced the old Aeroski stand up gondola. Bottom station now has a fairly pleasant picnic room with toilets and microwave.

Solaise chair out of Val D is now a gondola with wifi(!). Am I right in thinking it also has a few chairs as well as cabins?

Top of the above lift now has a great cafe/picnic room with comfy seating and a fantastic panoramic view.

Glacier at Le Fornet now has a restaurant at the foot of the slopes.

Restaurant at the Grande Motte Glacier has been upgraded. Now quite swish - but prices a bit silly (a week ago we spotted that it was €9 for a small slice of pizza and €32 for a full (small) grilled chicken.)

Cafe at top of Tichot Chair in Tignes has been replaced. Not much of an improvement.

The short (bottleneck) chairlift back to Solaise summit from Le Fornet has been replaced with two covered magic carpet tunnels.

Could be a couple more - but I'm not sure if some lift improvements were after 2014 or before then....
snow report
@mountainaddict, thanks, the Aeroski replacement was there when I was there last but the other stuff doesn’t ring any bells so must have been after.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, was it 2014 when the Boisses gondola from Tignes 1800 was opened? Some of the chairlifts en route to Aiguille Percee area might have been upgraded too, eg Merles?
I lose track of the years!
snow report
Merles has been a while 7-8 years? This year Dacha the slow way home chair to the middle of the Solaise has been replaced by the refurb'd Solaise chair and in Tignes a significant chunk of money has been spent on the GM Cable Car - not that you'd notice yet - the new cabins arrive next summer. But the old girl was gusting 40 so she needed far more than a rub down with an oily rag. For a years time we should have a new La Daille Gondola (10 man) replacing the old one and the creaky old chair and hopefully something in the Brev sector in Tignes depending on how the planning has gone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The new Boisses gondola was there last time I remember seeing that.
I think.
snow report
Smile

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 15-11-17 23:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
That'll be the absinthe causing double vision then Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@chocksaway, @mountainaddict,
Are you two out there for the whole season?
ski holidays
Any news on unsubstantiated rumours that the drag lift up towards the tunnel over to La Fornet might be reinstated this season? Was it called 2000 or 3000 (something like that) ? Puzzled
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, Yip

@intermediate, IIRC I saw something, somewhere, re the 3000 Poma (just to the right of the 'up and over') and reinstating pistes on both sides of the ridge for next season. But I can't find it so can't be a 100%. Gentlemen may need to start wearing their 'soap dishes' again wink Shocked
latest report
https://www.facebook.com/planetski/photos/a.10151644251674148.608508.99246379147/10156843232004148/?type=3&theater

@chocksaway, Just got to round the ferrets up and you're cleared for take-off Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:
Are you two out there for the whole season?
'fraid not VolklAttivaS5 - I've got a proper job to go to Confused! We've owned an apartment in Val Claret since 2007 and just get out there when we can. Off to Colorado in Jan/Feb 2018 so it'll be April when we next get to Tignes.
ski holidays
@mountainaddict, That's a tough gig! Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
@mountainaddict, which building is your apartment in?
I stayed in Val Claret once think it was the Rond Point building opposite the Tichot lift
ski holidays
@GeorgeVII, Now then! Tea bags loaded,, spent the morning rounding builders up rather than ferrets. Some very artful scaffold outside my pad whilst I'm away' Luckily its a block so I'm not paying.

Preparations seem to be going at a pace today. The cannons were going on Double M this morning and they were testing the Lanches char so all looking promising this morning. The rest of the week looks a little warmer so some of the snow may disappear below the Dam and it will be very cloudy over Sunday and very windy (top of glacier closed maybe), there is a chance of some snow down to the lake level. Monday and Tuesday look OK (good day for travelling!!) and then the Jetstream comes south promising unsettled weather for the opening weekend - its all a bit unsure at the moment so no definite forecasts but it looks like winter, especially as November turns into December.
latest report
@chocksaway, okay, you've got the tea, we'll call round with the biscuits wink

Saw the cannons going in Val Claret a couple of evenings ago. Looks like they've had a fairly sustained cold spell as a proportion of the lake seems to have frozen quite quickly. So fingers crossed for all you lucky early birds. Glacier looked great, if a little busy this morning but opening Double M should ease that a fair bit.

Out for our usual couple of weeks mid January. Staying in the Palafour Hilton again and looking forward to catching up with the usual suspects.
wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy