Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
All recommendations so far are great advice and top choices .
These are some of the Val Lunch Club’s favourites...

Snowy day .
Barillon under Rosie’s in la Daille. Or Trifolet on way down to La Daille.

Sunny Day ..
Tete de Solaise terrace or La Sachette terrace Breviere.(early as sun disappears)

Special Occasion.
Edelweiss Le Fornet or Signal Le Fornet or Grande Ourse Val D Isere or Panoramique on the Motte.

Quirky and good.
La Marais Hotel Tignes Les Boisses.

Big groups ..
Tufs La Daille .

New just opened ..
Etincelle Val dIsere
Great decor and views ..food good although a little pricey..
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So, we arrive in La Daille on Sunday for a week - forecasts looking like things will be good for us (fingers crossed) but any recommendations on decent apps to see lift/run closures etc?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
https://www.valdisere.com/en/now/piste-map/

Try this link ..
Val web site slow today so be patient!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Huge thanks to everyone keeping us in the picture, sounds pretty hairy up there, keep safe & enjoy lunch, a very long lunch perhaps Very Happy Toofy Grin

Footnote:
I am typing this from my office & I would still rather be in resort even with the lifts shut... Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tonyswift wrote:
So, we arrive in La Daille on Sunday for a week - forecasts looking like things will be good for us (fingers crossed) but any recommendations on decent apps to see lift/run closures etc?

The official Tignes app is pretty good, over the last couple of days it has been pinging whenever there is big news / road closures / potential openings etc.

It breaks the lifts down into ski area so you can get an idea of what is open/planned at a glance.

Annoying PS4 ads, but, thats the price of a free app

*****edit, just seen you are at La Daille, cant vouch for the Val D app (if one exists Very Happy ) *******
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Laisinant Express (half way to Le Fornet) was damaged by a massive avi yesterday. Looks like it could be out of action for a bit.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cromptonmj wrote:
All recommendations so far are great advice and top choices .
These are some of the Val Lunch Club’s favourites...

Special Occasion.
Edelweiss Le Fornet or Signal Le Fornet or Grande Ourse Val D Isere or Panoramique on the Motte.

My absolute favourites for special occasions are either La Peau de Vache (half way up Le Face - accessed from the Bellevarde Express chair lift) or L'Atelier d'Edmond in Le Fornet (opposite the Fornet cable car station).

P de V is as quirky as it gets and does fabulous food. You could easily find yourself sitting next to a celeb too, if that's your thing. It is only open at lunch time.

L'Atelier is well deserving of it's two Michelin stars and one of the finest restaurants in Savoie. Lunch is very special yet only around €30. Dinner is eye wateringly expensive and worth every penny.

Both of these need to be booked a good few days in advance, weeks in advance for the peak weeks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
YES to the Peau de Vache. It's amazing but as said you MUST book a few days in advance or you'll never get in.

The Terrace up at the GM glacier is gorgeous on a sunny day. My other fave is Edelweiss over at Fornet in Val - spectacular views.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nelly0168, Thanks for that.

I have downloaded the Val D app and it seems ok - I will see how it goes next week but got to be better than nothing anyway...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tonyswift, Most of the info I was posting yesterday came from the Tignes App. It has a wifi only mode so have a go and compare!

The best way of describing the difference between yesterday and this afternoon would be to transpose the title of Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve iconic novel: The Beast and Beauty! This afternoon was fabulously sunny (and very warm) after a very slow start after much avalanche blasting. Until late afternoon Tignes Le Lac in particular was not busy, the same cannot be said of the Bellvarde and Val Claret. The snow is moist, we couldn't get high to see if it was any better and it did bump up - but what a treat. For the Off piste it looked awfull as well as being very dangerous. I didn't see anybody I knew off piste but I did see a lot of the 'no idea and none of the gear' brigade. Madness - enough said. Overnight we had 10cm in the village and 20 on high. So in the last few days the piste poles that have not been moved by the fabulous pisteurs have shrunk by a metre!!

Note the big avalanche On Trolles (which was closed - but heh some people no better and were skiing down:

Also here behind ski bud you can see the 'sillon' the grooves in the snow caused by meltwater and rain - a sure sign of a wet heavy and unpredictable snowpack:

The sky will gradually cloud over tonight, leaving a milky sun tomorrow. Temperatures will be similar today but there will be a wind at altitude so the top lifts will be closed. The cloud will thicken into Sunday which will be windy, cloudy with light snow most of the day, the snowline will be around 1700m so a bit miserable below the Dam. On Monday and Tuesday we are in a retour d'est regime. The winds will be from the East, the snowline will be at 1800m. Some of the apps are getting into a real froth about amounts of snow, Meteo France currently isn't. It will depend how far the system comes over the hill from Italy. But I could see Le Fornet getting a lot more snow, Val Centre and Tignes getting progressively less - more later.

For the traveller tomorrow we have 26000 cars going down the hill and 18000 coming up. As the roads should be clear of snow this means two things: there will be a few traffic jams at the lights at Saix for those on the way down, but nothing horrendous I hope; for those of us remaining - it will be quiet on the pistes! For those going via airports it should be OK over here, if a little damp and dreary in the morning. In the UK it is an improving picture a bit damp in the morning, clearing mid morning, but the only weather issues are a slim chance of fog at Birmingham, Luton and Stansted and the odd sleet shower at Leeds, Newcastle and Edinburgh.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well that was a poop morning...

awesome afternoon...

off gratallu and Tommeuses the snow was great...

happy tonight for the first time since Tuesday!!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meteo alpes churning out some steep numbers for the Retour .........how far over the ridge it spills who knows.

be nice if it could reach Ste Foy!!!!.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skiing on trolles when closed after last years slip rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The high cloud was a little late in arriving, so this morning was just a picture from the balcony:

Not surprisingly I was off like a shot and the pistes around the Palet sector were in fantastic condition. Down into La Daille we found lumpy pistes as the surface had frozen overnight. However, on some of the beginner runs into both resorts the surface was very hard, more like a skating rink. This softened during the day! It was warm first thing but the wind soon picked up at altitude, blowing the snow from up there to lower down! This photo was captured by the ever artistic Tigski - they were some really stunning vistas with the sun behind:

Initially the off piste was a catalogue of horrors really, but thanks to the wind and some local knowledge things improved after coffee and with the aid of the Palet drag we found some really nice fresh snow on top, not deep but satisfying:

All in all a great Saturday.

The cloud started thickening mid afternoon, this will persist all day tomorrow with a strong easterly wind. The temperatures will be similar to today. We are expecting light snow from mid morning until the bars open, not much to shout about really but it wil fall as snow down to 1600m. Monday will be equally cloudy with snow all day, not a glimpse of the sun and high winds, much on high will be closed. As I have been saying for a while, the eastern parts of the resort (Le Fornet) will receive significant snow, the rest of us should get a decent top up, forecasting the actual amounts is down to chance really. The snowline will be around 1500m for most of the day, it might pop up to 1900m around lunchtime. It looks like it is going to cool down on Tuesday, the snow will peter out through the morning and there should be some decent breaks in the cloud in the afternoon. Wednesday and Thursday look like they are going to be days of sunny periods and light snow showers, before a decent end to the week.

For those heading to paradise (or home) travel should be a doddle, the roads will be mercifully free of traffic, there is little to worry the airline pilots with the exception of a slim chance of patch fog at Grenoble and Lyon, really nothing to worry about at this stage.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dan100 wrote:
Skiing on trolles when closed after last years slip rolling eyes

I thought they were going to remodel the landscape there to remove the big ditch at the bottom or have I got that very wrong..maybe I have got it wrong as that would probably allow any avi to run to the road or even properties there.. here’s a thought, I am staying in the end property in a few weeks so pleased it hasn’t been remodelled.
ski holidays
The ditch or bund is there for a reason.
Trolles didn't avi last year. - it was the off piste to the left of it as you look at the picture, and without the bund the avalanche would have gone through lavachet. It did its job, but sadly caught and buried nearly all the boarders who were foolish enough to set it off. I was there at the time and happened to be sharing a Grand Huit chair with Steve Angus when he heard the alarm on his radio.
It was such a huge slide that they had to get the pistebashers in to remove enough snow circa 30 feet of snow to where they could even begin to get down to the bodies with the long search poles Sad
Stay safe.
ski holidays
@Jiggs62, Your first statement is correct. Your second accusation is wide of the mark. Having spoken to a number of off piste instructors well after the funeral (it was too raw to talk beforehand) the overwhelming feeling was 'there but for the grace of God'. At the time I reported the facts and not the sentiments. Unfortunately there was much jumping on a bandwagon including some inappropriate posts on a number of British social media accounts. Enough said.
snow report
@chocksaway, hi. Heading out tomorrow. I've not posted on snowheads for years but have read yours often as this is my 3rd year in tignes.
Perhaps this time I can put a face to the name.
Myself and friend Theresa are staying at les Martin's tcc chalet. From 7th till 14th. We both ski but I'm also learning to board. Hope to make contact. Can't wait to get out there. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Well, arrived in tignes sat am in glorious sunshine and to see a lot of thawing in the warm sun!
Your comments about “sillons” spot on, never seen the off piste in such a state!!
Now Sunday pm back to snowing hard and windy with most upper lifts shut
Hope you can tell us weather will improve over next few day!!
My flat light skiing needs a lot of work!!🤓
ski holidays
@youngeratheart, I think we may be able to make that happen later in the week.

Well it was a warmish whiteout today. Tigski and I braved the elements to team up with some more Yorkshire folk. The RV was at the top of the Tov where it was blowing a gale and redistributing previously fallen snow with some new stuff. When Olivia Newton-John stared into John Travolta's eyes and sang "Feel your way" I don't think she had Tignes in mind but that's what we had to do to get down from the summit! At one stage I was unsure which way up I was.

Lower down was not too bad, we have had some showers of moderate snow followed by lighter ones. The Palet drag was mercifully out of the wind with some nice snow on piste. Following this we skied down to Les Boisses where the snow was almost sleet, so back higher and home in time for lunch.

Not much point in a photograph of today so lets have a heritage pic!

In other news from the other side of the hill, the pisteurs published a picture of the crown line of an avalanche they triggered on Danaides - 3 metres high - eek!

The snow and the wind will continue through the night and all through tomorrow. It will increase to moderate to heavy snow from around midnight. The winds may pick up tomorrow afternoon - so just keep an eye out for the links if they open them. They are forecasting a snowline around 1800m, so it will be a day of finding the sweet spot between the winds on high and the slush down low. Tuesday will depend on the low pressure system over Italy, the European model is giving a day of sunny periods, the global system light snow and cloud, both agree will a moderate wind at altitude. Wait and see but better in the afternoon I think. Wednesday would appear to be a day of sunny periods and much less wind. Thursday may well be sunny periods and snow showers and a bit cooler, but that's a long way off.
ski holidays
@chocksaway: I would like to add my thanks to that of others. I have been following you for the last three years. Your insight and commentary is priceless. Your forecasts are always accurate and you are my go to source. We are in VDI for the next 3 weeks. I would love to find you on the piste one day, can you remind me of the color of your jacket this year - green?
Cheers, Vicky
ski holidays
@Vasta, Thanks,

Just an update Meteo France now think there will be a lot of snow tonight and tomorrow and we may well be Avi risk 5!
ski holidays
@Vasta,
Quote:

@chocksaway: I would like to add my thanks to that of others.

+1, great thread snowHead Quite a distinctive jacket for 2017/18 too.
ski holidays
Thanks Chocks - we will be on the lookout. Promise not to stalk you!! It will be interesting to see what tomorrow brings.
ski holidays
We drove up early evening and the snow started at about 1300m. 2-3 inches of snow on uncleared roads at base lift @ 1500m. About 6 inches of fresh at 2100m. Snowing now but can see across valley so not that heavy.
snow report
The black flag is back. Here we go again avi risk 5/5. We are not confined to barracks but have to use the busses between the villages. 53cm of snow in the village and 80cm on the Grande Motte (pity the bloke who has been up there). Currently an 80kph blizzard in Le Lac - looks quite benign on the webcam in Brevieres! Biggest pile of snow this season on the balcony but it is heavy wet snow - off to man the shovels.
latest report
Next info on the lifts will be at midday - and it looks like it may only be the 'village' free lifts. Entertainmnets programme being published.
snow conditions
No walking between the villages at the moment but you can use the buses. The road between Lac and Boisses 1800 will be shut for avalanche triggering from 1130 for approximately an hour.
Worth repeating the emergency number in the resort is 04 79 40 04 93.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There are a few things open in La Daille now... just there's no way to get there Sad
snow report
I see Funival and Olympic Gondy are open in Val with specific routes down into La Daille on 3J and Diebold. I just hope that the fences are obvious and people don't ignore them - gutsy move to open them.
latest report
Agreed! We're not in any rush to head out there. Our apartment looks out on to snow square here in VDI. For a while the Solaise Bubble, Rogney and Village Lifts were turning but have all just stopped again.
snow report
Anyone know if the road between the dam and Val D is open and OK?
ski holidays
@Philip1972, According to Radio Val Twitter feed - yes. But chains or 4x4 with snow tyres mandatory.
http://www.radiovaldisere.com/index.php?p=home
Twitter feed on RHS. Cool
ski holidays
Great, thank you! Nice lunch coming up!
latest report
Nothing moving at tignes lac area hdlf an hour ago. Even covered magic carpet closed. There was a bit more activity with the lifties as we left so maybe the nusery lifts will open in an hour or so.
snow report
Day in the marmot arms I think.
Can’t see anything opening😔
snow report
meteo alpes forecasting the heavier snow to fall tonight......LOL

their picture from le Fornet earlier is nuts
latest report
Website is showing Tignes closed, with no expected opening. A few things open in Val, so good if you're over there but totally pants if not.
snow conditions
Cheers for updating everyone guys, its amazing this free service that you provide.
latest report
stefoy4me wrote:
meteo alpes forecasting the heavier snow to fall tonight......LOL

their picture from le Fornet earlier is nuts

Got a link to it?

Crazy snowfall totals, sounds like tomorrow will be even more fun..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy