Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and the Espace Killy 2017/18 (Closed - No more posts please!)

Poster: A snowHead
Tignes now shut for the day skiing wise. But the roads are open, there is fresh bread in the shops and life goes on.

For those wishing to claim back their lift pass money for today, the online form will appear here shortly:
https://www.ticketoski.fr/fr/tignes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out the webcam at the bottom of the Cascades resto on Pissailas.
http://www.valdisere.com/en/webcam/glacier-du-pisaillas/?d=08%2F01%2F2018&h=09

There is something like 5 m of snow around it. Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The road is now open to the Dam. But just had a message from the Gendarmerie about a missing Brit named John Promell who was last seen getting onto the paquis chair at 1630 yesterday. He has brown hair, a beard and is 185cm in height and was wearing a chequered jacket and a woolly striped hat in blue green and orange. If you have seen him since 1630 yesterday then contact the Gendarmerie on 04 79 06 03 41.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

The car is on a stand approx 1.8m high!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@bar shaker, Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bar shaker, blimey! At this rate it'll be buried soon..
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Since our 60cm overnight in the village it has continued to snow moderately or heavily all day, so tomorrows total is likely to be equally as high or more. The snow is now more showery in nature we have had a couple of respites but then really heavy showers. The village is operating but with no skiing here's a couple of pictures:

No not Santa's grotto but the ATM to the side of Maison de Tignes:

And here is the Rue de La Poste (or should that be Canyon de La Poste) at lunchtime:

The snow will continue tonight, there are some very heavy showers on the radar picture just to the south. To be honest for the sake of the hardworking pisteurs and Council workers we could really do without those! The winds will gradually abate and the worst of the snow should be past by the early hours. Tomorrow will still be snowy, but only lightish showers, the winds will reduce to breezes and the temperatures will drop a couple of degrees. Clearly, it will be a very slow start in both resorts, my advice would be to stop in bed and follow the relevant app as the safety teams work their magic. I know its frustrating but this essential work cannot be rushed. Wednesday will be a much nicer day with sunny periods and gentle breezes, and another couple of degrees cooler. Currently Thursday looks like it is going to be glorious a sunny cold winters day - hurrah! Friday will see more cloud. the occasional sunny spell but no more snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it possible to claim back for a non-discounted season ski pass?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^^^^Bet I can guess the answer to that.... rolling eyes Come to think of it, how could they work out a daily refund rate? Bit easier to do so on a six day pass...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just seen on FB that Val d’Isere is under curfew from 10pm. The consumption of chalet wine is going to go through the roof!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just seen that too - only the second time in 20 years they've done that!

I always stay at the Moris, I reckon that would be good for a lock in.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@hodgkins, No!

Just back from the Bou le le - another good place for a lock in. Hic!

World still revolving in Tignes - all be it a bit slow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Amazing thunder and lightening show just passed over VDI. We weren't allowed to leave the Aquacenter earlier due to avalanche risk. We heard a lot of blasting and then were ushered out!! Safely tucked in now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still snowing heavily. We have been told ski school will happen at 10am tomorrow so hoping the lifts will open then. Road below us (2100m) has at least 20cm of fresh.
latest report
And the lightning has started again!
ski holidays
@Camperski, I really hope I am wrong but I can't see anything apart from possibly the nursery slopes being open in the morning. The tops of the piste marker poles on the blue run behind my apartment in Le Lac will be disappearing shortly.
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:

Here's the before and after - first pic from the webcam just after it was put there in November, then one from today.

It looks like the stand is more like 1.2 metres high, but still.....!! The fence behind has vanished too.

ski holidays
Absolutely agree...will be amazed if they open the lifts at 10am infact think they wont open them at all. Only going on the info we get from tour operator which is on the positive side. Im enjoying beers and not expecting too much rolling eyes
latest report
Still 5/5. Road closed down to Boisses until mid morning at least. Big avalanche blocking the road just above the Army Barracks. Val definitely shut until lunchtime according to their safety committee. Tignes just telling everyone to wait at home until they have worked out what to do. Some areas still in lockdown. Local paper saying they triggered about 180 avalanches in Tignes yesterday Shocked No news on the missing person. In the last 24 hours we received 70cm in the village and 80 on high. Total snow depth 250cm and 3m respectively. Locals in the boozer last night were saying they haven't seen this much snow in so little time since 1998.

Off to clear the balcony!
snow report
Thanks Chocks. Think I will take the dogs to vets this morning, so the rest of the week (when the weather might be better) is free for the skiing!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
Still 5/5. Road closed down to Boisses until mid morning at least. Big avalanche blocking the road just above the Army Barracks. Val definitely shut until lunchtime according to their safety committee. Tignes just telling everyone to wait at home until they have worked out what to do. Some areas still in lockdown. Local paper saying they triggered about 180 avalanches in Tignes yesterday Shocked No news on the missing person. In the last 24 hours we received 70cm in the village and 80 on high. Total snow depth 250cm and 3m respectively. Locals in the boozer last night were saying they haven't seen this much snow in so little time since 1998.

Off to clear the balcony!

Its not been this deep since my first visit to Tignes, around the same year, perhaps a touch later. We stayed in the Toviere hotel next to what is now the pigs tail, and there were 6 foot high mounds next to the paths to the door. Looks similar levels this year.

The one that really got me was looking at the streetlamps next to the lake, between Lagon and Tov lift. If you timelapse to exactly a year ago, there is about 6 feet of lamp standard that has just disappeared today !!!

We travel out this sunday, will be packing cards and (extra) drinking legs just in case Very Happy
latest report
Road to the outside world now open.
Balcony cleared.
A whole fleet of hired trucks seems to have arrived to cart the snow somewhere. Ronnie Barker in Porridge comes to mind. Well Mr Mckay we dug another hole and buried it there!
Its just abut stopped snowing and its less cloudy - at least the pisteurs can work in relatively benign conditions!
snow conditions
i"ve not been to tignes for a few years, would i be correct in thinking the black sache run is only really black and mogully at the bottom, as i recall its a really nice run until you get to the red turn off. and also the return run from torviere to le lac via the red combe folle and black trolles is also not to severe,
ski holidays
@compostcorner, Yes and no. Sache is a nice run down to the turn off, but Arcossess is often closed and can be a roller coaster. Either ask for local knowledge or check it out from near the Brev gondola top station. Beyond the turn off Sache be a bit of a mare especially if its icy.

Trolles is a different matter, it depends on conditions. There is a cut off down to Lavachet half way down the steep pitch, but you still have to negotiate a steep and often icy mogulled slope. Best advice here is to study it from the Terrace at the Loop and see how many people are stood on Lemming's Leap wondering why they didn't study the piste map.
ski holidays
Some lifts in Val Claret now showing expected opening at 11am... we can hope
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
bar shaker wrote:

Here's the before and after - first pic from the webcam just after it was put there in November, then one from today.

It looks like the stand is more like 1.2 metres high, but still.....!! The fence behind has vanished too.

I have a photo somehwere of my GF on opening weekend and her head was wheel height. I guessed it was on 30-50cm of snow, by where it was. Embarassed

This photo, on the other hand Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
compostcorner wrote:
i"ve not been to tignes for a few years, would i be correct in thinking the black sache run is only really black and mogully at the bottom, as i recall its a really nice run until you get to the red turn off. and also the return run from torviere to le lac via the red combe folle and black trolles is also not to severe,

There is a steep schuss on the upper part of Sache. If you don't 'go for it', it's a lot of poling to get paste the security hut. Unless you really want to do it, I would avoid the whole thing and don't even think about it on a board (unless you prefer walking to boarding).

I have once ridden the lower section with it pisted (you could see the piste bashers occasionally groom it whilst having a post dinner smoke on the deck at Melezes). It was amazing when groomed, otherwise it is a steep, icy, unpleasant mogul field.
snow report
They seem to have opened the carpets in claret, no doubt to avoid another payout on the passes. Other lifts looking to open at 1.30pm, though some may open slightly earlier
snow report
@Extremophile, The carpets are free so they do not avoid paying out if only they open. My guess would be Palafour and Tichot by 1330 looking at the wok going on out of the window.
latest report
ah ha, didn't realise they were free... still hoping something will open, the only saving grace I can think of is there are no children in the chalet I'm staying in, so, puzzle books reign supreme... that with the odd check on here of course.
latest report
Watching the roof of the UCPA building being cleared opposite us - its almost as deep as the guys are tall, doing a sterling job at the speed they’re managing
snow conditions
bar shaker wrote:
compostcorner wrote:

There is a steep schuss on the upper part of Sache. If you don't 'go for it', it's a lot of poling to get paste the security hut. Unless you really want to do it, I would avoid the whole thing and don't even think about it on a board (unless you prefer walking to boarding).

I have once ridden the lower section with it pisted (you could see the piste bashers occasionally groom it whilst having a post dinner smoke on the deck at Melezes). It was amazing when groomed, otherwise it is a steep, icy, unpleasant mogul field.

+1 - I much prefer the Sache (I board) in spring when the moguls are the size of VWs but at least they are soft, sugary and very forgiving. And, yes, you really have to go for that schuss otherwise you'll have to walk with skiers hurtling past you at 50 miles per hour.

You'll have the same issue if you veer right past the start point for the Sache on the uphill start of the blue Corniche.

Other than that, you'll have a blast.
latest report
Bollin is open, according to the website. 1 chair....
snow report
Lavachets beginner Poma running with passengers on board
But still working digging out paquis and chaudannes bottom stations
latest report
Extremophile wrote:
They seem to have opened the carpets in claret, no doubt to avoid another payout on the passes.

To be fair to them, they're working harder than ever and spending more money than normal, yet the punters are wanting their money back...
latest report
Looks on webcam that like Tichot has opened.
snow report
Aye, with a big queue. Next door we have the Funival, Olympique Gondy and Solaise Bubble. Choas on Plan M I expect.
snow report
Well if I was William Shakespeare I suppose it would have to be 'The Tempest' yesterday and by the middle of the afternoon today 'Much ado about nothing'. Although the size of the queues on the lifts that are open must be quite frustrating. There was a bit more snow this morning followed by sunny spells from this afternoon. After a Herculean effort from the staff in both resorts to make things safe a few lifts opened progressively from lunchtime. Here's a shot of Bluets in Tignes:

Those taking to the sides of the piste seemed to be going pretty much in staright lines unless the y had very wide skis, there were no signs of powder blowing up in the air!

We will have sunny/moony periods tonight and the temperatures will drop sharply outside. So expect a distinct chill in the air tomorrow morning. More and more lifts should open progressively through the day, there will be little wind to frustrate the pisteurs. The sky will be like this afternoon with intermittent sunny spells. Thursday will be similar, perhaps a degree or two warmer. Friday looks like being a great finish to the end of the week, cool crisp and sunny with the odd fluffy cloud to make the pictures look better! There should be a few more clouds on Saturday and Sunday before light snow showers on Sunday afternoon, but the picture is a little bit complicated.

In other news there has been a rockfall onto the railway line just after Moutiers. There is a very tentative forecast of closure 'for at least 48 hours' until things are assessed. Moutiers might be very busy on Saturday as everyone gets off the Eurostars and TGVs
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy