Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

rocker and bumps

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
is there any benefit of having some sort of rocker when skiing bumps? i read somewhere that it can be a bit easier? most piste skis no how some sort of rocker but the question is to whether look at 5%, 10% or 15% rocker length.....

this will be on a piste performance ski.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More rocker the better in bumps for catch/hook-free pivoting.

You won't find a performance piste ski with rocker anywhere other than its marketing blurb though. Something like the new Salomon XDR 80 or 84 would be an ideal blend of piste and 'variables' performance though (much more fun in powder than I expected too - you have to consciously ski them rather than just let loose and rip, but apparently some people like that wink).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thats what i thought...... i have being looking at the new atomic vantage x range, they have just come out on their website, i have had salomons ion the past but haven't being that impressed and even less with their warranty etc

i am assume that 80 is the width underfoot?.... pretty wide i am used to 71mm but like you say will hale in the variables....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajc2260626 wrote:
thats what i thought...... i have being looking at the new atomic vantage x range, they have just come out on their website, i have had salomons ion the past but haven't being that impressed and even less with their warranty etc

i am assume that 80 is the width underfoot?.... pretty wide i am used to 71mm but like you say will hale in the variables....

My Directors at 107ish underfoot are better in bumps than my SL skis depsite being 25cm longer and at least 40mm wider. Rocker and a bit of longitudinal flex goes a long way.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i need these for piste performance (basi lvl 2) i have a pair of old salamon gs skis and these are far too heavy and stiff for this sort of thing (for me anyway) so am looking for something else and don't want to spend a fortune hence atomic and salomons as basi have a deal with them so they need to be about 75 underfoot and about radius of 14m i guess?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ajc2260626, yeah the 80 is the width. TBH the performance level isn't THAT high at BASI2 from what I understand - I think they'd do the job admirably (and being a touch softer will make the snowploughing and low speed demos easier too).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, i agree but i think that if you turned up on those they would throw a wobbler lol i would like something softer and light than my gs but still quite piste performer..... and cheap Very Happy hence someone who's running a deal with basi
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought Head Titans (or equivalent) was the standard BASI L2 ski.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ajc2260626, I'm no expert but have recently bought a pair of Rossignol Experience 80 HD. Bought from Snowleader for only £219. They are the 2017 model, but are exactly the same spec as the the 2018 model, except they are a different colour. From the marketing blurb, they sound as if they would meet your needs. Mainly piste, but with a 80mm width, so there's scope for fun on some off light off piste (but not deep powder). They are light. Front and tail rocker. Snowleader are based in France but it's free shipping to the UK. They came with the bindings fitted and set to the spec for my boots and are pre waxed. I'm short so went for the 160cm ones. They have a 14m radius. I've only used mine in the Chillfactore so far, but love them. Really nice light weight skis. But as I say, I'm no expert.

https://www.snowleader.co.uk/en/experience-80-hd-xpress-11-ROSS00614.html

More in depth spec here. http://www.skis.com/Rossignol-Experience-80-HD-Skis-with-Xpress-11-Bindings/445048P,default,pd.html

https://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packages/rossignol-experience-80-hd-skis-look-express-11-bindings
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajc2260626 wrote:
@clarky999, i agree but i think that if you turned up on those they would throw a wobbler lol i would like something softer and light than my gs but still quite piste performer..... and cheap Very Happy hence someone who's running a deal with basi

Aaah 80mm isn't fat by any stretch of the imagination! Still firmly on the piste side of the all mountain equation. They hold a solid edge with the metal construction too.

Not saying you should get them, but that category is probably the right ball park.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ajc2260626, I rather like skiing bumps, as a pastime, I ski on 100mm

Mind you, I would advocate 67mm SLs as an all round ski.

Slalom skis to my mind have too much grip (torsional rigidity) & sidecut to be a really nice bumps ski. Bumps skis tend to look like GS skis...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a thread hijack sorry. I'm booked on a warren smith mogul day at cas in oct. I have 2 pairs of skis I can take. Some older Salomon xt850 at 83mm underfoot or Scott the ski at 92. I've skied the salomons in the fridge a fair bit , but never the Scott's.

Salomons are 170 , Scott 180

Thoughts? I won't even be taking the salomons to real snow so maybe the answer is there ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@endoman, Take the Salomons, the bumps at Castleford have always been fairly closely packed together.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs wrote:
@endoman, Take the Salomons, the bumps at Castleford have always been fairly closely packed together.

Very Happy

Will be easier as I edged and waxed those last night with fridge wax and the Scott's are still covered with storage wax. Ta.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, like you say i want something that doesnt grip too much which is why i am staying away from an all out slalom ski.... but i think that something in about 170cm length and a radius of about 14m will be a lot better than my longer, heavier and stiffer GS salomons.....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy