Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes 2017/18 inc useful links

Poster: A snowHead
9 of us arrive end of Jan, 2 are new skiers. Any recommendations for which ski school we should look to get them with?

30 year old woman and 40 year old bloke.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@blacksheep, If they want group lessons I'd go with European Ski School. Some English Instructors, lots of Italians but all with very good English. If you want private lessons, take a look at the first post on this thread where all the options are listed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi ,
Loving the updates and photos . First time skiing here and at Xmas for us. We normally go later in the season and we were worried there might be no snow .
Is it ever a problem driving up to the resort or are the roads kept fairly clear ? I arrive 23dec at 10pm . The hire car should have snow tyres or chains or both hopefully .
Cheers . 😀⛷
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Deecee6415, Welcome to snowHead Snow hasn't been fantastic the last 2 Christmases, still plenty of skiing though, hopefully better this year. You really need both tbh. If it is really bad the police may even turn back cars with winter tyres and no chains although mostly the tyres will do. However they do work really hard to keep the roads clear especially on changeover days.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Claude B,

Thanks for that, much appreciated. They would be wanting to join a group. I’ve passed on the info.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really cold here today, hasn't got above -6°C in resort and very dull. A bit of fresh snow overnight and it's falling steadily now. A cold weekend up the mountain, Sunday looks best, got to be done though Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the updates Claude.
The conditions are looking a bit more hopeful now and there seems to be more snow forecast in a weeks time so fingers crossed!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went up for 3 hours but skied a fair bit in that time. It was very cold -13C plus windchill at 3200m. Not that much open tbh, lots of runs and lifts closed. Mixture of snow conditions and lack of punters I think. We definitely need more snow and less wind. But it is only 2nd December after all. It looks great in the photos at least Very Happy

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied yesterday and today too. Not that much, 3 hours or so each day. The wind has played havoc here scouring the snow away from several key areas causing lift and piste closures. Hopefully the snow due from Thursday onwards will sort it.

Glacier yesterday, Decathlon ski test

Hitting a few bumps (rocks too unfortunately) before my girlfriend comes, she loves them and skis them very well.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had a nice day Tuesday, skiing with 4 boarders Inc an instructor 😯 Blue run back to resort now open, all artificial. A lot of snow due starting tonight, it's needed.

I'm busy with bathroom being completely refurbished so won't be skiing too much for next few days.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fair bit of snow overnight. Woken again by the snowploughs and they've just been blasting up the mountain, 1st time I've heard it this winter. Due to snow every day for next week. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, day off from bathroom. Some sun but extremely cold from forecast. Friend doing bathroom is a skier, no friends or plumbing on a blue sky powder day Very Happy

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big dump overnight, it's still snowing now. Lots of blasting, can't see things opening very early. It's due to clear this afternoon, if so will go up Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was really nice skiing for a few hours yesterday afternoon. After the snow the sun appeared, although it was very cold and windy higher. Because of that nothing above 2600m was open. The snow was much better after the dump. Snowed again overnight and still is. I think it will turn to rain lower later though. A lot due in the next week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowed all morning yesterday then turned to rain in the afternoon and hasn't stopped since. Due to continue most of the day turning to snow later. Wind is extremely strong and all lifts are closed. Treacherous driving and walking conditions, snow, then rain, freezing overnight. Road up was blocked earlier.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello - quick question - how easy is it to take up the free days skiing at Alpe D'Huez on the six day LDA pass? Does the same pass work with the Alpe D'Huez lift system or do you have to get a day pass? I have been to LDA three times in the last five years with my family and while we love it enough to come back again (read: Mrs Spin has insisted ) I fancy a bit of a change and the rest of my party aren't up to skiing La Grave. Puzzled
snow conditions
@Spin Doctor, Yes the pass just works. 2 days I think for a 6 day pass. There is a bus 2 days a week (Wednesday and Thursday I think) or drive there, 45 mins, or Auris, 25 mins. Or if flush take the helicopter, surprisingly cheap, 60 or 70€.
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, I'm a bit late to the party, but we've actually just upped our capacity to 14 people (www.chaletmorville.com). Maybe next time Madeye-Smiley
Venosc is a beautiful place to stay, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it! If you haven't booked ski hire yet, I do recommend using one of the shops besides the pistes, such as Jacques sports (you can use the code BASS to get an online discount) as this will save you having to walk anywhere in ski boots as they have lockers to keep your skis - this makes the walk from the top of the telecabine only 5 minutes.
latest report
Thank you Claude - much appreciated. Re helicopter - would love to - again the chances of getting Mrs Spin and the little Spins in a helicopter about as likely as them skiing La Grave Toofy Grin
snow report
Been a lot more snow and conditions are now really good. More snow due tonight and until Saturday evening Very Happy Sods Law I haven't been able to ski all week, work going on in bathroom. Need to get done though as my girlfriend is coming for Christmas and a bathroom is kind of important. Should be able to get out Sunday, looks like s nice day too.
latest report
Wow! More snow last night. Piles of snow everywhere Smile

Happy days!
ski holidays
Cracking day today, loads of snow and some sunshine. Very cold though and windy, glacier closed. Conditions are very good now after recent snow and more and more of the resort is open. Valentine was great and Diable black back to resort was nice but a little thin. Busier this week with the Rise Festival so loads of Brit students here. Craig David playing tonight but it's too cold to stand outside to watch. More snow due tomorrow Very Happy Gonna be far better conditions than the last 2 years for Christmas.

Valentine

snow report
Snowed again a lot on Monday and has been nice weather since. Haven't been able to ski unfortunately due to ongoing work in apartment. I drove down to Grenoble yesterday and roads are fine for anyone driving on Saturday. Lots more snow due Boxing day onwards.
snow report
@Claude B Thank you for all those information, extremely helpful for us.
We (2 adults and 2 kids 4y and 9y)are going to L2Alpes for the first time this season end of March begging of April. Lessons for kids booked with ESF and local graderie with bonhomme. We would love to go skitouring with a group if it is possible at all but as we have to collect youngest from the creche it wont be possible. Unless we do it in turns Sad

Again great info.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 21-12-17 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi. Considering coming to LDA. Is venosc the town most convenient for the resorts? Any recommendations for a small apt rental? We are only a tiny group of 3 people. Unfortunately is would be mid February 2/17 during the school vacation break. Hope I am not too late to find a place to stay.

Hopefully airfares align. I had not realized la grave was connected, so I may ask for a guide recommendation if I can get my act together. Thank you.
ski holidays
@Redwine, Most of the accommodation is up in resort. Venosc is small and a gondola ride away. Try usual suspects, Airbnb etc.

La Grave situation has changed this year. No tow so skin over or drive round. Think European Ski School etc will do trips by minibus. Separate pass needed so worth considering when buying pass for here.
snow report
Hi
Can someone advice please?What are the road like end of Mar, begging of April. Chains necessary or winter tires ok? many thanks
ski holidays
Venosc is a super place to stay but as Claude says you have to take a gondola up and then schlep across the town (15 minute walk) / take a bus to get to the main lifts. We kept skis and boots at Aalborg Hotel ski shop to minimise the faffing but at the end of the day it was tiring. From memory the gondola stops running at 7pm as well which means the only way you can go out in LDA is to drive round the mountain. Whilst there are some restaurants in Venosc there's not a huge choice. We had a week down there a few years ago and enjoyed it but spent the time thinking about how we'd have preferred to be in the town... staying near the Diable lift this time so much more convenient.
latest report
@kedsky winter tyres should be fine... assuming there's not a massive dump of snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Redwine, As regards appartment rental in Les Deux Alpes (LDA for short), you could try this site: http://www.easi-apartments.com/ It's run by Charlotte Swift, who is known to many snowheads on here, as she is also an excellent ski instructor. If anyone in your group wants lessons in LDA then you'll find it hard to find anyone better than Charlotte imv.
ski holidays
@Spin Doctor thank you!
ski holidays
Skied here Christmas Day. Blue sky but colder and windy higher. Great snow and really quiet until the afternoon when a few more were about. Dull, cloudy and snowing today, did other things.
ski holidays
Snowed all day here today, very heavily at times, and due to continue all night. Forecast is pretty good tomorrow with some sunshine especially in the afternoon Very Happy Very cold though. Lot more snow forecast over next week or so.
snow report
Finally stopped after 24 hours although I think flurries will continue. Lots of blasting and lifts will open slowly. I'll wait awhile for that and the sun Very Happy But avi level 4 today so careful.

ski holidays
Will the snow ever stop? Huge dump yesterday evening and night following the same the day before. Wednesday was glorious although wickedly cold with a northerly wind. I got a couple of hours in yesterday morning before the light became very flat and the snow arrived again Very Happy I think it will be carnage leaving and arriving today. Snow is due to turn to rain in resort today before becoming colder tomorrow. Snow/rain due for the next week.

Run down to Mont de Lans the lowest point here, 1300m. It didn't open at all last season.

Chalet de la Fée, which imo is the best value restaurant on the mountain opened in time for Christmas. After a big Christmas morning brunch we felt in need of a sugar boost in the afternoon Very Happy The café gourmand was 9€ and the huge slab of lemon meringue 7€ Shocked

ski holidays
Cracking video posted by Damian Albert of some of the freeride groups he's taken already Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1643887679002393&id=115549598502883

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 30-12-17 12:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just cleared my car, very hard work. Gridlock today, cars everywhere hardly moving.
snow report
Beautiful sunny day today Very Happy Lifts understandably slow opening this morning and avi level is 4 so care required. Gonna be busy lots of road problems slowed arrivals but nowhere near as bad as Tarentaise.
snow report
Yesterday wasn't actually very good in the end. Rain then freeze meant very icy pistes with some lift and piste closures until later in day. Very busy too. Nice and warm and sunny though and I got a few hours in Smile

Forecast for today wasn't good but the sun began to appear about 10.30 so I quickly got myself ready and went up. There had been a good few cms overnight and the snow was beautiful although cold and windy higher. Also not particularly busy. Wind and weather worsened about 3 but I'd skied hard for nearly 4 hours by then Smile Next 3 days look pretty grim tbh

Today looking towards Toura
snow conditions
Hi, I thought I would ask in here before starting a new thread...

Myself and my wife and another couple are due to arrive on the 27th Jan for a week, very much looking forward too it!
My Wife is a very nervous skier, she has been 3 times before but I am looking to book a private lesson for the first day preferably to get her confidence up as she hasn't been for about 4 years. She has the ability to be a better skier than what she is but her nerves hold her back a lot.

She emailed a company called BASS who have quoted £65 for one hours lesson? Has anyone had experience with this company or do you recommend another? Or does this quote seem reasonable?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
@Gethin89, That hourly rate sounds about right for a private lesson with someone like BASS or TDC/Ultimate.

You could try your luck with Easiski. (Charlotte Swift) www.easiski.com.

Based in LDA. Similar prices to your original quote. Info on her site says she's semi-retired now and only takes private lessons. (no big groups). Website is nothing fancy but easiski have always been highly regarded, particularly with nervous skiers.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy