Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
chopkins13 wrote:
@ukredsox, Thanks for posting the link to the new piste map!

It appears that they are leaving the lovely Inversens as a 'Natur' piste this year (ungroomed) - can anyone on the ground confirm? As a pretty crappy skier I always enjoyed the 'challenge' of a nice long run like Inversens (not the cold slow chair back up mind) but won't be able to enjoy it in the same way if it's no longer groomed!

Conversely, the long red down from the Glacier, Combe, was marked as 'Natur' last year but not so this year.

I try to stick to the Blues but had always thought that Inversens would be a nice Red to try. I won't be doing so if it's 'Natur'
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I try to stick to the Blues but had always thought that Inversens would be a nice Red to try. I won't be doing so if it's 'Natur'

I'm a fellow blue cruiser who likes a nice wide smooth red occasionally - Inversens served this purpose very well as a pisted run - really wide, not intimidating but includes a few steeper bits to test you. Equally I do enjoy a blast down Les Sources.......but only if I can be sure that the Icy Wall Of Death section is in tip top condition - I tend to observe the powder trails of other skiers coming down it from the Blanchettes chair first!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to stop coming in here!! Its bad enough looking at the slopes from Centre and around about, but to see all these photos from further out is tough Sad I'm not supposed to ski for a few weeks still, but, since the physio said I'd 'be ok to ski, just don't fall and land on the right side', I think I'll have to go out on Christmas Day!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
C Holt and chopkins13, no: the new easy piste goes above the natural half pipe. It starts almost as soon as you move off the standard piste before the half pipe starts. Easy to miss. It runs as a gentle road for a time, then drops into 2 short steeper sections before ending in the "secret" kiddy gully that instructors often use.

Didn't make it to Villaroger coz Mrs Jonpim's back gone into meltdown. Even defeated Ibuprofen Rub-in, so now got some French Witch Doctor concoction. I reckon Gin is the right remedy. Meantime i enjoyed myself roaming Weldom down in Aime, then pizza at the nearby new restaurant beside the Chic Arty Crafy Decor store (Mrs Jonpim loves it, i think it all over-priced rubbish).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If the gin doesn't work, try the Bergerie Bar's "dead frog in alcohol" concoction. That stuff is rocket-fuel Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good news for you Inversens lovers, it was open today and pisted from top to bottom. I have not looked at a piste map recently but I suspect the 'natur' bit is the off-piste bit to the side of the Inversens red run.
The Crozats black was open as well today for the first time and was in very good condition, more like a dark blue than a black.

@Jonpim, I now see what you mean about all the ruffians. We were planning to go to MontCHAVin after the Crozats run but when we got to the top of the first lift found that some thieving barsteward had nicked the second one.
Ended up going back down to Bellecote instead.
Hope Mrs Jonpim is enjoying the gin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just arrived in montalbert for Christmas but the family have already been here since last week and been enjoying the conditions. But does anyone know why so much of the resort is not open, runs closed and lifts not working? Surely it does not take long to clear snow and get things going or is it because as its so quiet they are saving money but not fully opening. I see snowcrazy commented on la plagne seemingly being slow to open up.
Looking forward to my first day in the morning. The kids reckon they know where the good stuff is and have found a route back to our gaff in Longefoy.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Topperski, normally the first week of the season (this week) is Unpacking and Get-things-going week - the lift pass is reduced, some of the links are not open, lots of restaurants are not open, many runs are closed. This year the resort declared Fully Open from Day 1 (December 16). But this is France: you can't change the habits of a lifetime.
On the plus side, it is very quiet. Lots of runs are empty, no lift queues, restaurants are quiet.
Come Sunday all the runs will be open, but then there will be complaints about crowds and queues and stuff.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
C Holt and chopkins13, no: the new easy piste goes above the natural half pipe. It starts almost as soon as you move off the standard piste before the half pipe starts. Easy to miss. It runs as a gentle road for a time, then drops into 2 short steeper sections before ending in the "secret" kiddy gully that instructors often use

Is that the track that goes towards the bottom of Col de Forcle ? From the restaurant you go down the dip and up the other side to join it ( or at least that's how it was last season ). I often use that to avoid the carnage that is that last section late in the day. It's now an official piste then ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eblunt, not checked with the map, but its certainly marked with blue poles.

Today we had a spontaneous Snowheads Lunch Bash in Le Chairlift (skichampcouk, boredsurfin and jonpim plus multiple partners, daughters and dentists). Excellent venue. Good food, good wine, good service, good coffee.

There were lights on in the upper Envers lifty room at 2000, and 2 guys in there doing something animated - maybe something about to happen. . . ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonpim,

Sounds, good ... hope we get invited for January's bash Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Envers turnstiles at the bottom end are now in place and looks like it is ready to go - the turnstiles have been stacked on one side since last December! Hopefully, someone somewhere in in a French office of bureaucracy, an official is rubber stamping the certificate of Homologation ...

@Jonpim, Indeed a lovely lunch we really should try and organise these things Very Happy
@Topperski, As Jonpim says for the pre opening week - hence discounted lift passes - there is actually much more open than usual especially pistes, for example this is the first pre Christmas for 7 years that all the Montalbert forest pistes have been open (although one was randomly closed today) and some restaurants such as Pierre Blanches simply don't open until the Saturday before Xmas. The Grangette draglift only opens to serve the village club stadium events. Be careful skiing back to Longefoy - there is no official ski route, although there are several footpath routes back down that the locals use.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:
eblunt, not checked with the map, but its certainly marked with blue poles.

Today we had a spontaneous Snowheads Lunch Bash in Le Chairlift (skichampcouk, boredsurfin and jonpim plus multiple partners, daughters and dentists). Excellent venue. Good food, good wine, good service, good coffee.

There were lights on in the upper Envers lifty room at 2000, and 2 guys in there doing something animated - maybe something about to happen. . . ?

If you have a less spontaneous one that is walkable, let me know! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt, you're here in January? Or maybe here all the time?
We go back to blighty tomorrow, and not return until end of January.
Lots of snow still forecast for next week - should be good for all you festive season skiers.
Most sites suggest sun for Christmas Day, then snow (and cloud) for the rest of the week.
(but of course, all this could change - so fickle, the weather)
Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So, for last day had a gentle jaunt over to Les Arcs - only went as far as the Derby lift.
Excellent experience in the restaurant just below top of Vallandry lift - their hot chocolate is REALLY hot and comes in an insulated glass/mug thingy. And friendly staff. Lovely view from their conservatory.
On the way back we went by Crozats lift to try the new (and now open) moving carpet. Working well.
Then the Fun Run down from Arpette was indeed Fun, though i chickened out from the narrow bridge near the end Embarassed
And finally the new addition to the Bergerie is now open. Lovely comfy padded armchairs in the outside section (though strangely 6 chairs, but only cushions for 4). Should be a good addition to the place. Not completely finished, but fine so far, and we will be back.
snow report
Todays picture looking down through the glass floor of the Vanoise Express.

ski holidays
The Vanoise Express in 16 seconds

Video not permissible

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-12-17 16:43; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
The gondola up to the glacier was open today and it looked like shiny new red cabins had been installed although I suspect they have just painted the old ones.
The Carella lift up to Roche du Mio was running today but still had barriers across the turnstiles and they weren't letting on anybody on when we went past just after lunch.
Plenty of people were skiing down the Mont de la Guerre into Champagny this morning although I heard the run wasn't officially open. Both the top and bottom end had been bashed so it may well officially open tomorrow.
Not that many people around today although considerably more than the 3 people we saw the whole of last week. I expect it will be a different story tomorrow as the apartments and parking areas around us are filling up with holidaymakers.
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, from Perso - LaPlagne / Google Translate

by RG » December 22, 2017, 08:59
Quote:
SAP-INFORMATION TELESIEGE CARELLA

Hello everyone,

The Carella chairlift suffered an engine failure late last week.

Here are some details about the evolution of the repair:

The dismantling started yesterday and will end today with a transfer to Bellecôte at the end of the day. Later, transfer to the workshop in Chassieu for 4 to 5 days of refurbishment and operational tests; Then two days of reverse transfer, reassembly and tests. So, at best, get the facility up and running again by the end of next week.

Have a good day
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, they're just not having much luck with the lifts at the moment are they?!

Glad to hear Crozats and Magic Carpet combo are up and running though.
ski holidays
@chopkins13, No, and if you have a look at perso-laplagne forum there is a thread about lift breakdowns....people are not happy!
snow report
The Carella chair lift was open today. Loads more people around, it was like our own private ski resort had become invaded!

Had a great few days skiing on empty pistes Very Happy
snow conditions
Envers lift was running at full pelt this afternoon so hopefully it is close to obtaining it's licence, or whatever it is it needs to start being used.
Both Mont du la Geurre and le Bois were officially open today.
Most of the resort lifts, restaurants and pistes are now open as the crowds begin to arrive. It was a bit busier today but not that bad.
I'm expecting it to be heaving from Wednesday for at least a week.
ski holidays
Stopped for Sunday Lunch at the new Union Restaurant in Montalbert - absolutely superb food wine and service. Best not to plan on any energetic skiing afterwards!
ski holidays
Flagging myself on to this thread as me and a mate are out on the 13th Jan for 1 week, we're stopping at Ski Beat's Fleur de Neige at Plan Peisey which we've stayed at before, so hoping as good as before.
ski holidays
Does envers not running mean that if you ski down to montalbert you have to then ski down to la Roche to get back to Plagne centre or Plagne aime?

Montalbert is the only village we’ve not skied to this week so keen to tick it off tomorrow as it’s our last day.
snow conditions
@laura1182, yes.
latest report
Yes laura1182, as denfinella posted, if Envers is not running then you have to go all the way down to La Roche - it was a lovely run last week when there was hardly anyone around, but can be a bit unnerving when busy.

That new place, boredsurfin: the Telegraph article suggests only open in the evening - is that correct? Seems you managed lunch there . . .

Was looking at webcams during journey back to London - sun and bright blue sky in La Plagne, while grey and drizzle all the way up through France, and its raining here in London this morning.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonpim, Union is open for Sunday Lunch which is highly recommended it is open lunchtime in the week as well https://www.unionmontalbert.com/en/home/

Envers been running at high speed all day - still not taking passengers.

Lovely sunny day in La Plagne today

Piste Crozats

Piste Inversens which is marked as Natur but has been pisted this is the normal off piste on the left hand side as you go down

Carella was working fine today as well.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 26-12-17 12:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@boredsurfin, it's been 4 years since we came to Les Arcs / La Plagne and back out in January so I was surprised to see that Inversens is a naturide, when did it change and do you know why?
ski holidays
@stevew, It was a surprise addition to this years piste map - although the resort has been adding more Natur areas off and on over the last 3 seasons. Looking at it today the piste is still pisted as it always has been, so I guess they mark the sides as Natur officially, as it always was unofficially! When I took the photo above I was stood on the piste. - Still powder to ski through 5 days after it last snowed! We skied Les Etroits today which is marked as Natur - most of it is, but the bottom third had been pisted...
We went over to Les Arcs on Saturday and skied Red pistes that had been left as Natur .... or maybe the Pisteuers CBA Laughing
snow report
@boredsurfin, thanks. We'll see what it's like when we get there.
ski holidays
Snowing heavily this afternoon but surprisingly clear above the cloud. Just stopped off to warm up in the new Bergerie restaurant . Very nice & quite large.
La chouffe & a Vin Chaud help to lessen the new paint smell.
ski holidays
There's now a webcam up on the Glacier

http://m.webcam-hd.com/webcam-station-la-plagne/le-glacier

The Bergerie webcam is rubbish in flat light or with snow coming down

Good to see close to another metre forecast in the next week. Keep it coming Snow Gods snowHead
ski holidays
Snowing heavily off and on all day so far, probably an inch or so down here at 1400m
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Envers has been running at hiimgh speed all day - still no passengers

No passengers coz this is a new style Extra Rapide lift: you have to throw yourself on as it goes round - none of this namby-pamby slowing down to get on routine.
(Have they forgotten to put up the notices to explain?)
Go on lad: give it a go Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Jonpim, Toofy Grin It was fun riding it in the summer.....
snow conditions
A few inches of powder higher up this afternoon and hardly anybody around, some lovely skiing to be found. The visibility wasn't too bad even though it was snowing moderately.
It is now blowing a gale and snowing heavily in Champagny, the snow conditions should be excellent tomorrow with around 30cm forecast overnight and plenty more forecast before New Year.
latest report
@boredsurfin The photo of Inversens is brill - looks like great conditions!
snow report
@SnowVillan, Even better now - its been snowing heavily this afternoon and is supposed to carry on until lunchtime tomorrow! Theres powder in the village streets!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy