Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
@ukredsox, on that run turn right at the restaurant on the left and follow track, you then have 3 options, first is the natural half pipe and other 2 are to stay on track longer and to drop into super easy and lovely pistes. The last option being to cross one and through the poma. The bit you refer to is carnage but seriously take the right turn!!!! The first left off that track after the half pipe I had yesterday in virgin powder and was just dreamy, felt like a pro!! Hahaha

Today however whilst great snow conditions was dangerously cold. We did 20km from 9-10 almost all in the shade and when got off carella I actually genuinely thought I was dying. Literally straight lined sources down to bellecote into bonnet and as shaking horrifically and was brought hot chocolate. Was very very scared. Then got down to 1800 and put 5 more layers on!!
I’m still cold as a I write this!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The only route of off Colosses is to turn immediately left and left again and go back under the lift pause on the ridge to decide which piste to carry on down - there is also the option of going back down to Bellecote just before you go under the lift line turn right - if it has been pisted! Its so quiet I think they forget to do it!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adamski wrote:
@ukredsox, on that run turn right at the restaurant on the left and follow track, you then have 3 options, first is the natural half pipe and other 2 are to stay on track longer and to drop into super easy and lovely pistes. The last option being to cross one and through the poma. The bit you refer to is carnage but seriously take the right turn!!!! The first left off that track after the half pipe I had yesterday in virgin powder and was just dreamy, felt like a pro!! Hahaha

I know the three routes that you’re referring to

Whenever, i go down the main Trieuse piste past the restaurant, i normally just go straight over the steep bit

The piste i was talking about, the Arolles, is a completely different. It’s over by where the old drag lift used to run.

On this trip, ive also done the drop down left of the restaurant from the top of the DDP drag. Very quiet but steep for a blue in places
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yuge clocked me at 93kmh today. I don’t believe a word if that. Must be a GPS glitch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boredsurfin,

i’m hoping to make my first trip down to Monty tomorrow
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah ... the end of a genuinely fabulous week! 22 of us and no injuries and everyone happy! We have been blessed this week.

Only downside is being in the air for Wales v Scotland and the far more important France (whoever they are) v Ireland!!! #COYBIG!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have a couple of welshies in our group and hour hosts are Scottish so we are looking forward to tomorrow afternoon!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saturday 3 February. The lifts coming up from Les Coches side were a mess this morning. All the signs at the Vanoise Express said the links were closed to get into the main La Plagne area and so was the Bellecote. Not put off we headed across to find the Salla chair was open and then continued up the top of the Roche de Mio. The Bellecote gondola was still shut so we headed down through the cliffs! Oh boy! The Bellecote Chair started to move and then amazing! So did the Bellecote Gondola! Luck was with us and with only a slight delay we made it to the top of the Petit North Face.

The crazy thing today was although they said the Crozats was closed as well. The moving floor link back up to top of Arpette was working. Figure!? The Arpette chair coming up from Plagne Bellecote was also closed, but I guess they got it fixed during the morning. Altogether a crazy morning with the lifts and signs. Always double check. The sign's were well out of date by the time we made it to each lift.

Well that was our journey across and then the day just got better and better! The pistes on the Les Arcs and La Plagne sides were excellent! The lifts were not too busy and the sun started to shine! It was going to be a good day after all!

If you want to see our trip down the North Face take a look at the photos in the February 2018 album in the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Just scroll down towards the end starting with the photo of the top of the Traverse Chair! Fresh tracks top to bottom in awesome powder yet again. What a great trip followed by a nice drink and then a late lunch. Thanks guys!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/LesArcsWinter/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1603524249724035

More to follow tomorrow. Another big trip is planned! Sorry, for tomorrow the group is already full, unless the weather changes. PM me on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page, not here in the mornings. I only check this thread in the evenings. if you are interested in joining in one of our adventures. You are best to check the night before, but always no later than 9am on the morning we are going. You must have full Arvi gear to come with us and know how to use it!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, we thought the forecast for today was sunny, cold and not snowing.
We got cloudy, less cold than Tignes, and trickles of snow.
Still, conditions are good, and slopes quite quiet.
And we got to ride the Envers lift at last - what an odd lift! Hard seats, with D-shaped cut-out.
Its good that its running, but just confirms that LST should go back to making Funiculaires, and leave chairlifts to the people who know what they're doing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonpim, Endless Winter for you this year?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
And we got to ride the Envers lift at last - what an odd lift! Hard seats, with D-shaped cut-out.
Its good that its running, but just confirms that LST should go back to making Funiculaires, and leave chairlifts to the people who know what they're doing.

I was there again today (so much for the weather forecast) and I prefer to go on down to the La Roche chairlift - much more comfortable.

Lots of piles of artificial snow on the pistes today.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jonpim, yes Envers is a bizarre lift - so uncomfortable! almost need to be wearing a backpack and a nappy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Adamski, Only saving grace is you are not on it for very long Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin wrote:
Endless Winter this year?

No, back to Blighty on Wednesday before the Holiday Hordes arrive.
Return in 3 weeks for most of March.

Seems we chose the right week for a trip up to Tignes
Numerous bottles and other junk on the snow outside suggest a nearby apartment was full of oiks and irresponsibles.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from one of the most epic weeks in Plagne. I'll write up a trip report tomorrow in the resorts section. But the weather overall was stunning. Spring like for 4 days, snow and powder for one and a bit of a mix of everything on the last day.
ski holidays
After two weeks away, I’ve come back with the OH and staying in Plagne Soleil. Other than a bit of flat light yesterday the conditions were good in Soleil, Center and over/in Champagny. Spent the day on blues to build OH confidence back up.

Couple of quick questions for those that know.......

What’s the best way to get from 1800 back to Soleil after 5pm? (In ski boots and carrying skis)

Is there an ESF ‘show’ one evening at any point in the week?
latest report
@Gassy222, to get from 1800 to Plagne Soleil after the lifts have shut is a bit of a pain in ski boots.

take the bus from 1800 up to Plagne Centre, then take the telebus triple cabins thing (strange little thing!) from Centre up to Plagne Villages. From there either jump on the free bus round to Plagne Soleil or walk across the piste in your ski boots.
snow report
Gassy222, I'm sure there are as good, if not better, bars in Plagne Centre or Soleil to make your late stay in 1800 quite unecessary. Whether La Mine or the Bobsleigh, are they really worth the hassle of bus to Plagne Centre via Bellecote, then Triple Buckets?
latest report
We did it! I really like La Mine and wanted to take the OH. Don’t think we will do it again and stay local, but glad we went tonight.

Conditions today......... really good. Rare patch of ice here and there. Even the snow down to Montalbert was good. Don’t have a piste map in front of me, but went up Becoin and then the drag........ the drop into the red is quite intimidating for a intermediate. OH was on a lesson, just as well as divorce might of been on the cards.
snow report
@Gassy222, The snow down to Montalbert is always good Toofy Grin
At least on one of the routes wink
ski holidays
Adamski wrote:
@Jonpim, yes Envers is a bizarre lift - so uncomfortable! almost need to be wearing a backpack and a nappy!

My main problem with Envers is that the foot rests are too high. I have short legs and still couldn't get my skis up onto the rests
snow report
boredsurfin wrote:
@Gassy222, The snow down to Montalbert is always good Toofy Grin
At least on one of the routes wink

I finally made it down to Monty on Saturday. However, I was pushed for time, so I bubbled down

Last week was the best conditions that I've skied in. I was able to do at least one new piste each day.

However, if that's what it's like in good conditions going down to 1800 from by the Boulevard/Bergerie chairs, I can see why people moan about it.
snow conditions
@ukredsox, At least you got there Toofy Grin The bubble takes 6 mins (at normal speed) skiing down takes 7/8 mins (at normal speed)
ski holidays
Lovely snow on the sunny side today. A huge Grand Beau

I lapped the borseliers (sp) drag 10 times and then had a kebab pizza at the restaurant at the bottom Smile
ski holidays
Well, after 40 odd years of skiing regularly in the French Alps I cannot remember a better week of on piste skiing. Add to that that the local businesses are making hay and smiling at us their clients I reckon that this could be the best season ever.

If we can avoid too many jams on the way out in the morning that will cap everything.
ski holidays
Heading to La Plagne/Les Arcs in a couple of weeks. It's been a few years since I was last there. Looking at latest online piste maps it looks like several reds I remember (Inversens, Lognan, Mont de la Guerre) are now styled as "Natur", ie left ungroomed. So the pisteurs stick in a few flags marking the borders and forget about them for the rest of season? Anyone know what they are like now? I don't mind the odd lumpy bit but generally prefer stick to something I can recognise as a piste.
snow conditions
chomski, didn't get round to Mont de la Guerre last week, but Inversens is certainly pisted as usual.
Lots of unpisted stuff either side, but piste usual width and usual state (usually lovely - pity about the oh-so-slow lift).
ski holidays
@chomski, Mont de la Guerre was pisted a couple of days after it was opened last week. Lognan is hardly ever open so don't know if it is pisted or not. Inversens is as normal.
The only one I've noticed a major difference with this year is the Gavottes red at the top of the cretes lift. There used to be a narrow track bashed all the way down but that is now mainly natur all the way.

@Jonpim, I heard news yesterday that Polly who owned the Chalet des Colosses restaurant in Plagne Bellecote passed away after a short illness. I'll see if I can find out more details today.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skichampcouk, Mrs Jonpim tells me Polly passed away before christmas - don't know what cause was.
snow conditions
Been over on the Bellecote a few times already this season and they have a new announcement. It seem's they have a new rule this year that if the Helicopter cannot fly/land on the Bellecote Glacier, they will not open the gondola or they close the link for safety reasons as soon as the weather get's dodgy! To do with poor vis I was told! This is a new one for me! I have not heard this announced in previous year's. Does anyone know why they are now doing this?

For anyone thinking of doing the Bellecote North Face right now. It is well tracked on all the normal routes, but the snow above the traverse lines is still good. It does get crusty lower down. But if you ski on the main tracks out it is OK. Have fun. With all this snow and stable conditions it is worth the effort, but there are still a few slides as the day warms a little so I still advise anyone going there to take full arvi safety gear. You can never say never when it comes to an avalanche.
ski holidays
Now, boredsurfin, this new fancy restaurant of yours in Montalbert - where exactly is it?
We had a brief look last week and couldn't see it.
Is it down some deep dark alley?
latest report
@Jonpim, from arrival by piste or Telecabine go far left up the ramp (take skis off ) when l'Arbrevoir bar is in front of you turn right and go down the road (new house under construction on right) follow road down until there is a right turn into high st (gated) stop, turn immeditely left and walk into Union!
latest report
@Jonpim, This looking down the ramp, so you come up it and go down the road keeping those tables and chairs on your right (Old photo before Telecabine built)
ski holidays
Outside
snow report
Absolutely glorious conditions today after more snow than forecast fell overnight, probably 20 to 30 cms of fluffy powder snow in places.

The visibility wasn't great first thing over in Champagny so headed up towards Roche de Mio, it started to clear around 11:30.
None of the pistes in the Roche de Mio sector had been bashed and we pretty much had first tracks down Inversens and then Crozats. It was amazingly quiet in the Roche de Mio and Bauches sectors with very few people venturing off-piste. It looked like the gondola up to the glacier opened early in the afternoon.

We heard from somebody based in Plagne Bellecote that the queues there in the morning were pretty bad until they reached Carella, maybe the fact that nothing was bashed kept people away from Roche de Mio.

It's currently a mixture of light snow and sun in Champagny with sun forecast for tomorrow morning so we're expecting the normal holiday crowds tomorrow.
ski holidays
And from the webcams, looks like another lovely day today skichampcouk.
But maybe a bit cold.

And thank you boredsurfin - hopefully we will be more successful in finding The Union when we get back next month.
snow report
An interesting blog post from Ice and Fire - I certainly didn't know that four piste machines are kept in Montalbert must be in a big garage that I have never noticed......
http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/about/blog/87-meet-the-team-the-la-plagne-pisteurs
snow conditions
In the Ice and Fire article, Monsieur Mogul wrote:
20 La Plagne piste bashers (they call them CATs)

I wonder what CAT stands for . . . Puzzled
ski holidays
@Jonpim, I'm guessing it's an abbreviation for the Caterpillar Track they run on.
ski holidays
Snow Cats in US and follow from this?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy