Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on “papoose” to ski with my dog

Poster: A snowHead
intermediate wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Personally speaking, I'd be extremely annoyed if I had to share a gondola or chair lift with dog.

Why on earth not a gondola?

Maybe because they tend to mark their territory by cocking one back leg up and...

Bitches don't.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nor do properly trained dogs. Most will probably have emptied their bladders on the way to the lift.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
biddpyat wrote:
@janny, not sure how you think I am crazy but dogs have fur, and on sunny days there is very little difference between being on the slopes or just out for a walk, . It would depend on the weather, and there are things called boots for dogs.

To the op, here are some helpful bits of advice for you,
https://www.kurgo.com/blog/tips-tricks-for-skiing-with-your-dog/

Thanks for the link.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Agreed, I have never seen a dog urinate in a gondola, mine walks straight in and sits quietly under the seat, its mostly the other people who want to pet and talk to him.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Swissie, there does seem to be a misconception that dogs cock their legs everywhere. Ours does when he's out on a walk, or in the garden, but not in the car, house, pub, restaurant or anywhere else we take him. Even sitting outside in summer, he wouldn't just get up and pee.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The piddlilng up against a tree is sort of like an " I was here" type of thing, and well behaved dogs certainly don't do it just anywhere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glad to learn most dogs better behaved then me in this respect.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

My dog has regularly ridden chairlifts and gondolas with me. She's getting a little old now so we take it in turns to sit at a bar with her now but she loves being out on a snowy mountain, I've only got this summertime picture
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

Sat in a bar up the mountain
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
897sma “My dog has regularly ridden chairlifts and gondolas with me. She's getting a little old now so we take it in turns to sit at a bar with her now but she loves being out on a snowy mountain, I've only got this summertime picture”

Thanks for both pics.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-10-17 19:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skier52 wrote:

Thanks for both pics, my guess is Bergin chair and chalet d’clair. I am looking forward to another season in GM.

Possibly. In answer to your original query, we often used to see a guy skiing with a Jack Russel in a papoose on his chest around the Les Carroz side of the mountain. The dog always seemed happy to get back in after lunch, etc and seemed to enjoy being skied around. I've seen others in backpacks too. Plus you often see people skinning up with a dog by their side.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@biddpyat, Exactly how stupid and un-aware are you (?) (!): read my posts. if the utter stupidity and irresponsibility of what you think is fun and acceptable is not clear to you, are you a moron, in fact? which bit of "dogs on (or off) piste is really dangerous" don't you understand? Or do twee little booties make all the difference...? FFS! IDIOT!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
anyone taking a dog skiing is an irresponsble idiot. we have enough to put up with dealing with nutter, unpredictable, stupid, drunken, useless, irresponsible (etc etc) skiers and boaders, FFS, without having to deal with dogs, too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janny wrote:
anyone taking a dog skiing is an irresponsble idiot. we have enough to put up with dealing with nutter, unpredictable, stupid, drunken, useless, irresponsible (etc etc) skiers and boaders, FFS, without having to deal with dogs, too.

Stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you really think.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@janny, did someone interrupt your mastabatory schedule? Or did you just carry on right the way through to spew out such a useless post?
snow conditions
I love the photo of the dog in the green jacket.

The onanistic hatred seems like a cue for a lot of skiing dog photos. This one is from the first morning tram at snowbird, an hour before the first public tram.
The locals like to get out there early on a powder day so they can bag easy fresh tracks, then they'll head back to the city to work once the crowds arrive.

I can't remember the dog's name, but she's often there and everyone loves her. She has breakfast at the top with the patrollers.
snow conditions
ski3 wrote:
@janny, did someone interrupt your mastabatory schedule? Or did you just carry on right the way through to spew out such a useless post?
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing excellent ! I must remember that line.
latest report
janny wrote:
Sounds like about everything and everyone on the mountain really is a danger to you, what about those parents teaching young children to ski, also a hazard! those creatures can cross your path with no prior warning too.
Which snow head posted last year a video of him skiing with his Jack Russel? he certainly enjoyed his day skiing, ( both dog and owner).
snow report
janny wrote:

So are you damning all boarders there or just the stupd drunken etc etc boarders?? Very Happy
snow conditions
Dogs hate skiing

http://youtube.com/v/SrBefABBTqQ
latest report
Touring or backcountry with dogs is great fun. Key is training the beasts to stay away from edges as a ski or board edge slices through paws or tendons pretty easily. When I used to go boarding with a friend she'd lead I'd hold the dog back and he'd then chase until she stopped. Key was getting the distance so he could never actually catch the wabbit.
snow report
Some good tails ( Smile ) of wyoming backcountry skiing with a dog.
https://www.amazon.com/Merles-Door-Lessons-Freethinking-Dog/dp/0156034506?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Touring or backcountry with dogs is great fun. Key is training the beasts to stay away from edges as a ski or board edge slices through paws or tendons pretty easily

@Dave of the Marmottes, total Internet Forum bollox, with all due respect Smile

We've now had the joy of three Jacks over the past six years and never an issue. and it's just part of our daily routine instead of "walking" them!

All you need to know http://stylealtitude.com/powder-hounds.html

Since that article in 2015 I've encountetred a few occassions in deep powder where I've had to "stash" the younger one in the back-pack, but I now think she's way stronger and it will be the older " Mama" who might be having problems.

That said, back in the UK I take them out on 16km MTB routes
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Nor do properly trained dogs. Most will probably have emptied their bladders on the way to the lift.

Unlike your average elderly ESF instructor.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Dogs hate skiing

They sure do - my favourite ever ski movie makes it clear what the inherent hazards of taking ng a dog skiing with you...
The Shadow Campaign // Sun Dog from DPS SKIS
https://vimeo.com/111085476
latest report
Our dog loves chasing us down the closed runs in Drouzin when we hike up there.
You have to try and stay ahead of him though as he's a big stupid lump of labrador (37kg), and is not aware of the potential consequences of running across the front of you.
snow report
Quote: "@janny, did someone interrupt your mastabatory schedule?" You might be witty if you could spell. Actually, not. Nul points. That last sentence is in french, btw, meathead.

Quote: "Sounds like about everything and everyone on the mountain really is a danger to you, what about those parents teaching young children to ski, also a hazard! " Yes, certain children should be banned from all mountains, winter and summer: english children should be banned.

But i'm getting off topic: no dogs, either. simples. obvious. stupid to do it.
ski holidays
@janny, just don't be a dick.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can try to dig out a link later, but there's been some awesome doggie stoke on the Snow for the Euros thread in the past (mainly from Peds and his side-kick Baldric). I'm pretty sure some of this involved Baldric secured in a harness, including some while skiing. The brand name "ruffwear" came up in a quick search.

Like it or not, the dog looked like it was absolutely loving it...
snow conditions
Baldric is a star! He has great charisma and obviously loves it.
ski holidays
Yes, it was Ruffwear. You can see Baldric sporting one of their harnesses (and scoping out what must be a ridiculous couloir for a dog to be taking on) in this pic:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcCs18AFFCy/
ski holidays
@pleasehelpme, That is a super photo.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
they are no longer allowed on the Cairn gondola for safety reasons.

What??
snow report
Jenny. Jonny. Jonny. Oh little Jonny, did you correct my spelling like a teacher with a nice red pen? You'll note it was a question to you, not a statement. In correcting the spelling and repeating the question, it appears you offer tacit acceptance of it as a occupation you we're engaged in.

Oh petite Jonny, one French word does not a sentence make.

You see, it's not my first language in which I'm writing. That usually being cockney, and it'd usually be delivered as wan kaaaaah. Rhymes with w anchor. But I guess that could denote a sailor.

As already pointed out by other's, you appear to maintain a growing list of people/items/situations that cause you to deliver such intolerance. Perhaps a long look at yourself may provide the answer to such a jaundiced, pathetic view of the rest of the world's occupants.
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
Our dog loves chasing us down the closed runs in Drouzin when we hike up there.
You have to try and stay ahead of him though as he's a big stupid lump of labrador (37kg), and is not aware of the potential consequences of running across the front of you.

When I was with my ex, I point blank refused to go out with our Labradors on bike trails, they were an absolute menace to all and sundry, no brains whatsoever! despite training efforts and myself and others riding straight into them, they couldn't grasp the concept of keeping out of the way.
ski holidays
Personally speaking I love seeing dogs out on the mountain. It's the wild, and dogs get it and generally love it.

As for cranks and insurance.... One can't do much about the former, as for insurance /liability It might be the skier /boarder who is liable for any damage to the dog.... After all the dog is walking around on what God gave him /her on a mountain , whereas a skier /boarder by definition is on a recreational device, that has an inherent risk attached and that they are not fully skilled on to avoid all accidents.

If I was a judge, and there was a skier or boarder and a dog (I.e. Dog owner) contesting an accident, provided the dog wasn't making a nuisance of himself, I'd favour the dog. It's the human who's doing the inherently risky activity after all!!

P.s. Besides I'm a dog lover. Smile bow wow Smile
snow conditions
Grinning wrote:
under a new name wrote:
Dogs hate skiing

They sure do - my favourite ever ski movie makes it clear what the inherent hazards of taking ng a dog skiing with you...
The Shadow Campaign // Sun Dog from DPS SKIS
https://vimeo.com/111085476

How cool is that!?

Simply tremendous Smile)
snow report
@skier52, I love dogs and would especially like being in the mountains with one but I’d be wary of strapping them to yourself. What if you fell and crushed it? You have a duty of care to the dog and for me it’s best running not being trussed up.
snow conditions
Quite a variety of reactions to my post, from the aggressive/rude to the concerned and pleasant, I have even been told I am a female wanting to show-off my cutie pup around the mountain. But thanks to all for taking the time to try and help. I have purchased a K9 Sports Sack and will decide during the winter if I use it to carry my dog “skiing” for a few easy runs during the season on good weather days. I will certainly be using the K9 Sports Sack for offering her a rest on any long snowy walks and to offer a bit of comfort during race or concert watching. She has already been on a gondola in the summer and was fine, I am sure we will go up the gondola quite a few times this coming winter season. Will be off to the Alps in a few days and looking forward to some great skiing this season as the last couple of seasons have not been very good.
latest report
Well I hope you enjoy the season, and the dog too. I would love to be able to bring my terriers out I KNOW they would love it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy