Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Many of the other areas have started 2017/18 threads, so I thought I'd get this one underway for any travelling that way this coming season.

Some areas in Dolomiti Superski are looking forward to opening on 25th Nov. More areas anticipate opening in the first week of December.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/live-info/open-lifts

No snow yet, but hopefully there'll be some natural snow before December and not have to rely on artificial waiting until Feb for winter to arrive like last season! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Heading to Sella Ronda on 28th Jan, so will be watching this thread with interest.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent several weeks in Alleghe last winter. Despite the snow being fairly thin on the ground, snow-making was stunning. I would guess >90% of pistes were open and in excellent condition. However, we were lucky to have long spells of cold weather; snow-making doesn't work if it's warm. Heading out to Alta Badia with family over New Year. Be nice to know what's happening there from any early visitors.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heading back to the Dolomites after a few years away so likewise will be following. Fly on the 3rd Feb so hopefully there will be an excellent base by then. Keep the updates coming
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
likewise off the Cortina in early March, - will be watching snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'll be staying near Cortina in mid-Feb, only done a quick daytrip to Cortina from Arabba previously, so looking forward to exploring it all properly.

I definitely want to get up to the small area at Lake Misurina and maybe around to the recently expanded Three Peaks/Tre Cime/Drei Zinnen area around San Candido/Innichen & Sesto/Sexten if I get a chance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks in advance for all of the updates on this.....always wanted to visit the area and all booked up for my first trip, booked in at the Bellavista in Arabba at the end of January, so will follow this thread with anticipation......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Val Gardena website has changed to its 'Winter' home page -- sure sign of things to come... Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
toyah807 wrote:
Thanks in advance for all of the updates on this.....always wanted to visit the area and all booked up for my first trip, booked in at the Bellavista in Arabba at the end of January, so will follow this thread with anticipation......

If you are still there on the 3rd of Feb you can say hello to loads of snowheads
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will be there end of Feb too, can't wait.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow falling on Cortina's higher slopes, webcam live now
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
twoodwar wrote:
snow falling on Cortina's higher slopes, webcam live now

Yes, the afternoon pics are certainly looking white on the cams!! snowHead

https://www.bergfex.com/faloria-cristallo-mietres/webcams/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seems early, but they have started 'blowing' snow on Seceda and some other areas.

https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Impressive that they are making snow at temps above Oc. The key may be the very low humidity. currently below 20%.

EDIT. Ah. the temps are actually below freezing. Blush
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes indeed, looking quite white up on Faloria in Cortina with cannons going at full pelt this morning...

ski holidays
Quite fun going through the webcams looking to see who is going to join up the white dots first.

latest report
S minus 32 hrs. snowHead
latest report
I thought it was looking quite warm in those webcam images. Look at the temperatures: 6.6 C ! (on 4/11 at 11.00am).

Roll on the storms and cold front tomorrow.
snow report
S minus 24hrs
snow conditions
@Peter S, Not sure what S hour is, but I hope you have taken into account that the Forum clock is still on BST . .!

(posted at 22.32 GMT)
snow conditions
S + 30mins snowHead
https://valgardena.panomax.com/seceda

Up to 60cms now cast at altitude. The good news is that it cools down over the next 4 days which should be good for snowmaking. Plenty for the grassy base.

Potentially a much better start for the upper runs than the last couple of years as long as it doesn’t get silly mild.
latest report
I guess S=Snowtime!! snowHead

A nice covering at altitude this evening. Little Angel

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 5-11-17 23:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@albob, the Forum Clock is in GMT or UTC. You decide what timezone and/or dst you want. Wink

Good to see the dots joined up, even if it is only temporary.
snow report
Snow dropped to lower levels overnight, Arabba is a Winter Wonderland this morning:

https://www.bergfex.com/arabba/webcams/c12664/

snow report
6/11 first major snow😄
https://www.valgardena.it/en/val-gardena/information-services/weather-live-cams/live-webcam/selva-val-gardena-larciunei-live/
snow report
Selva area testing some snow cannons last week. Hopefully they can combine with this natural dump to lay down a solid base.

Being a natural pessimist, I fully expect this to be the last significant snowfall until mid-January Mad
snow report
currently looking reasonably cool with the potential for further light snowfalls over the next week.

Once the snow dries out and humidity drops we may expect snow making to recommence and perhaps pisting to begin on upper slopes.
snow report
The Dolomites are looking very wintery at the moment. This is the view at Colfosco (it's a live image so will change with time)

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The was A photo of all the snow cannons lined up ready to be sent up the mountains 0n the Val de Fassa Facebook page with comments about it looking like an army going in to war. It did. Simply shed loads of them all lined up in a grid, pointing skyward, all in the same direction
snow report
andy wrote:
@albob, the Forum Clock is in GMT or UTC. You decide what timezone and/or dst you want. Wink

Good to see the dots joined up, even if it is only temporary.

Silly old sod me -- i'm the one on GMT+1 !!
latest report
Three weeks until most of the ski areas intend to open. Just under 4 weeks until the Sella Ronda connects together.

So far so good. They only need 20cm of compacted snow on their grassy slopes to make their runs skiable. That must be a lot easier than trying to build a deeper base over rocks? It explains their confidence every year in being able to open up lots of relatively low but skiable kms by early December.

The factors that prevent frequent heavy snowfalls in the Dolomites, make it ideally suited to snow making.

The weather outlook looks Ok. A bit more snow on Sunday night and then perhaps some drier air from the east which may be more favourable for snow making.

https://rifugio-bioch.panomax.com/
latest report
Grass? -- I see no grass... Wink

snow report
Proper white on the cams now! 74 days!!!!
snow report
Humidity forecast is low tomorrow and wednesday. Should be suitable for snowmaking.
ski holidays
Yup. If you look at the webcams captured above (The Cortina Faloria, Kronplatz Passo Furcia, Arraba and Colfosco ones are live) you can see the snow cannons going full pelt.

It's looking good for a healthy start to the season.
snow conditions
If the Dolomites are the queen of alpine snowmaking then Kronplatz is the queen of Dolomite snow making

It seems to make snow as soon as it can taking advantage of its climatic location and its rock free terrain. Its 5 month season starts reliably, at the end of November and finishes at the end of April.

It must be a popular option for early season skiing? It compares well to high altitude glacier runs because it is not reliant on natural snow and its low altitude guarantees skiing in all weathers, on long runs with comfortable enclosed lifts. It is probably also relatively cheap? The only problem from the UK may be that over on the south east side of the Alps it is a bit more difficult to get to?

http://www.kronplatz.com/en/planning-booking/webcams
snow report
@Peter S, not that difficult, about 1:45 hours from Innsbruck?

Good suggestion for early season skiing, hadn't thought of it. Maybe next year - cunning plan required Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I came across this crazy map of the Dolomites, in the style of the London Underground. The Sella Ronda is the Circle Line. All your favourite resorts are on there. snowHead

latest report
@luigi, Very Happy
snow conditions
@luigi, Very Happy That’s very good if a little innacurate, as is the tube map. Very Happy

Love the gondola from Alleghe, obviously relating to the Boris one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy