Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites Weather/Snow Report (& useful links) 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Woosh wrote:
I think it is pretty certain that midweek next week will be extremly cold. The uncertainty is how long it will last..

At the moment the extreme cold looks like lasting for four days. Then looking like remaining cold (but not as extreme) but still uncertainty over this!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another lovely day skiing, eating and drinking. Just a couple of panoramic shots, the scenery here is so fantastic.
Sella, Sasslongher, Crusc, Lavarelle and Conturines from near the top of Pralongia.

From near the top of Mont Vallon. Truly a jaw-dropping spectacle and worth being 20 minutes late to meet wife/kids. Should have been skiing instead of gawping. And should have straight-lined 9/11 to get back instead of faffing around on the plateau taking many slow lifts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunny this morning then got cloudy at lunchtime. Some light snow early afternoon but then reasonable light by 3, and very quiet. Virtually no queues all afternoon on Biok and Pralongia 2 (both seem generally the busiest lifts around here). Dusting of snow this evening too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jimmybog,

I agree. Looks like most of next week will be really cold and then it might get slowly milder from next weekend. Still well below normal, though. All depends on the movement westwards of the high over Northern Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any precipitation due for the Dollies , or will it be cold and dry
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dublin2, A small amount of precipitation due Thursday-Friday (ARPAV says 10-15cm in the Dolomites up to 20-25cm in the pre-alps in total over Thursday/Friday) and a little bit more weak snowfall on Sunday, then looks very cold and dry for a few days. Might be some precipitation involved with the breakdown of the cold spell towards the end of next week but that's too far away for any certainty.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@what...snow, nice pic from Mont Vallon, one of my favourite spots. Lovely view out from there in the late afternoon as well.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@SteveM, The scenery really has to be seen to be believed. I’m looking around so much it’s quite hard to get anywhere at times. Yesterday it was super sunny so the views were better than ever. Headed over to Corvara first. Pretty.

Then up past Colfosco for a drink at Jimmi’s Hut. Very easy red that surely should just be blue all the way down.

Got back nice and early to pick the kids up from Ski School. Stupidly took 14 instead of 15 and ended up at Ciampai instead of La Fraina but it really isn’t a big hassle to schuss across, especially since we knew they were coming off the chairlift, not the gondola. It’s one of those not quite flat places with lots of people arriving from all angles. The traffic heading downhill towards me didn’t seem convinced but it did mean we overtook the kids. They were just in front of us going up Brada Fraida but we got back to Piz Sorega well ahead of them. Wife not impressed at my cheeky shortcut though.

Went to Piz La Ila for lunch. The difficulty here is that the views are amazing in all directions.

Went over to Pralongia to do the kids slope. Wife decided to call it a day after 1 run down. It is an easy gentle run back, but very long. The children wanted to go again. The views are still great.

Not having me in front, the smaller one went too fast, couldn’t make the first curve and went straight through a fence. Took quite a while untangling him but amazingly no damage done. I decided that was enough too. My nerves were shot and I needed a stiff drink after seeing that. Shocked

Calmed down on the run home. Sat on the balcony to watch the sunset.

Just got up and it’s all different today. It’s snowing snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@what...snow,
thanks for great updates. Bringing back happy memories of 2 trips this season.

Hope the snow today doesn’t hamper your plans and leaves the pistes in even better condition!

Quite a spectacular area eh?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@what...snow, great pics!! snowHead

If you go back into the Snowmediazone, you can edit the photos and rotate them around. I managed to sort my orientation issues doing that.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 22-02-18 9:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks like the deep easterly cold will be affecting the Dolomites Monday through Wed next week according to Bergfex, though the sunshine should make it feel a bit warmer during the day.

If hiring a car from Milan or Venice and it's a diesel, make sure you get an anti-waxing additive or Winter Diesel in the tank. The fuel from the plains will tend to wax at -7C, the Winter Diesel has been shown to have protection down to -27C.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, was just wondering about this. I'm collecting a car from Treviso on Saturday with a full tank, I'm guessing they don't automatically use the winter diesel unless asked in advance?

Having checked the forecast, all recommendations for the best areas (and maybe restaurant stops... snowHead) in extreme cold and/or poor visibility gratefully received! We'll be based in Vigo di Fassa.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Must have been 5/6 years ago I got caught out in Gressoney st Jean.I had hired a car from Linate airport and driven to the hotel. By the time I got there the hotel had given away my pre booked space in the underground car park.Despite stopping on route and putting two bottles of additive in the tank the diesel froze twice during the week as temps weee below-20 and I lost 2 days skiing as a result.The next year all the rental companies had notices up stating they were not liable if cold weather caused the diesel to freeze .
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Angus og, 2012 I think, last time I had to use winter diesel. Think I'd better check with the rental company and our apartment hosts. Luckily there are buses!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does starting the car, going a short drive, 10 miles etc help, instead of parking the car outside for a week without starting it
ski holidays
I thought that oil companies provide winter diesel from Sept/Oct onwards till March?? Or is this just in the UK??
snow report
I was driving to staffal every morning to get to lift,about 2 miles.Diesel froze overnight on 2 nd night then again on night 5.Temperatures were brutal.Italian mechanic told me to put a few litres of petrol in the diesel.I insisted he did it but it worked and apparently you can put about 5 litres in a tank.Car was a fiat , wouldn’t fancy doing that To my discovery though.
latest report
I’ll pack an extra layer then! 😄
snow report
@luigi, Thanks for mentioning about the diesel. It looks like the car I've reserved is one. Is the fuel additive readily available at petrol stations between Venice and the mountains?
ski holidays
@musehead, we were easily able to buy additive a couple of weeks ago once in mountain terrritory on the way to birthday bash.
snow report
musehead wrote:
@luigi, Thanks for mentioning about the diesel. It looks like the car I've reserved is one. Is the fuel additive readily available at petrol stations between Venice and the mountains?

Yes, I stopped at a garage on the motorway up to Cortina. The helpful attendant suggested a bottle of additive which would treat 50 litres and then we squeezed in another €10 worth of Winter Diesel. The additive was probably overpriced at €9.50, but it was peace of mind as temps were due to drop below -12C that night. I didn't have any issues all week starting the car.

I believe there are various grades of Winter Diesel, the stuff sold in the lowlands will only keep you out of trouble down to -7C, but with this deep cold you need a bit more than that. The car hire lady reminded me too. I guess it causes a massive headache if they have to go and retrieve a car that's waxed up and won't start.
ski holidays
Angus og wrote:
I was driving to staffal every morning to get to lift,about 2 miles.Diesel froze overnight on 2 nd night then again on night 5.Temperatures were brutal.Italian mechanic told me to put a few litres of petrol in the diesel.I insisted he did it but it worked and apparently you can put about 5 litres in a tank.Car was a fiat , wouldn’t fancy doing that To my discovery though.

With newer direct injection diesel engines adding petrol to the fuel tank apparently can destroy the injection system. I would recommend only using the proprietary additives.
snow report
dublin2 wrote:
Does starting the car, going a short drive, 10 miles etc help, instead of parking the car outside for a week without starting it

I doubt it would make a lot of difference as the heat from the engine wouldn't warm up the fuel tank or the fuel lines which is where the problem occurs. Anyway, I should imagine that after a couple of hours of not running, any heat in the engine would dissipate and it would fall to ambient temperature.
snow conditions
Don't want to be contentious but the thread about weather has now become about fuel.
Every few minutes my phone bings and I see it's a post about Dolomites weather . I open my phone with haste and anticipation hoping it's going to tell me it's snowing but no it's about diesel.
ski holidays
@FrequentFaller, it snowed all day but calmed down at the end of the day and stopped an hour or so ago. Not a day for photos
snow conditions
@what...snow, Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@what...snow, yeah ended nice with the sun trying to peak through the clouds. I’d say 5-10cms of light snow.
snow conditions
It looks like the easternly winds will last from Monday to Thursday next week with very cold temperatures. We will then get snowfall on next Thursday and Friday. The northern European high will then send the lows on southernly track wich will give normal temperatures and unstable weather in week two. All precipitation will fall as snow.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was snowing when I got up and got heavier during breakfast. Thought we might be in for a rerun of yesterday for a while but the snow got lighter and the light got brighter. Still cloudy in the morning. This is looking down Alta Badia.

After lunch it started brightening up so I took a few photos.

Still a little cloudy in Arabba.

Brightened up at Canazei.

Nice view from Col Rodello.

Having got from Cherz well into Val di Fassa in an hour I took a few photos and my phone battery fell off a cliff. The signage had been great so I left phone/map in pocket and just followed the orange signs. Up Piz Seteur, Comici and Piza Pranceies. Embarassed Seemed a bit tougher than I was expecting and ended up getting back 20 mins late Embarassed Embarassed On review I skied over 2 extra mountains and a lot of blacks/reds. All good fun except the bun fight to get into a gondola at Dantercepies.

I got some additive in Cortina (asked for antigello diesel and the garage guy seemed to recognise this). Find out tomorrow if it’s worked Skullie

Good luck anyone out here next week, forecast is much colder. Shocked Was -19C in Finland last year and we all coped fine. Used some hand warmers there. None this year.
ski holidays
Arrived in Arabba yesterday. Mostly cloudy today with some hazy sunshine around. Relatively warm as most ski lifts with thermometers were saying around -1C to -3C. There had been the smallest of dustings this morning, probably about 1mm on the car. A few light snow showers around today might have added 1cm at altitude. Bit disappointed not to get the 8-10cm that was expected in the forecasts a couple of days ago!

Pistes were in great condition pretty much everywhere (skiied Arabba and Alta Badia today). Didn't go off piste aside from near the piste a few times - which ranged from cruddy and very variable, to really nice light powder on shaded steeper aspects, although not deep.

Looks like deep cold (expecting -20C) and partly sunny for the next 3 days. Much warmer at the end of the week.
snow report
@what...snow, we must have been extremely close, I was up there with a few mates Friday and Saturday.

Saturday was spectacular, and yes it's really supposed to plummet temperature wise this week.

I've always found (for the car), keeping the tank relatively full of artic diesel does the trick.
snow report
Arrived in Selva yesterday. Zero viz at the top of the Dantercepies for the first hour this morning. Then got a lot better. Hit the Sasslong before lunch and the conditions were ideal. Got cooler in the afternoon and steeper slopes got a little cut up by the end of the day.
Overall one of the best first days skiing I've had in a while.
Hope it's not going to be too cold tomorrow.
snow report
Absolutely glorious morning in Vigo do Fassa, the temperature readouts in the village are showing minus 15 in the shade.
ski holidays
Fantastic conditions this morning but got f'ing cold after lunch. -19 on the screen above one of the lifts while doing the Ronda.
ski holidays
Headed up to Carezza in search of the sun. Despite a late start due to car issues (not diesel related, the additive worked as intended), excellent day & I see why Snowheads love the Dollies.

Pistes were in great nick, albeit hard packed in places. Grading seems harsher than I'm used to, blacks we skied today would have been red in the big French resorts. No queues anywhere, loads of wide cruising runs for us lazy intermediates.

Food & drinks very sensibly priced, I had an excellent venison tagliatelle at the Ochsenhutte (below the new Tschein chair) for 12.5 euros. Very few British voices & seemed to be more German than Italian spoken where we stopped.

And the views...unbelievable, off to the West for what seemed like hundreds of miles, jaw-dropping stuff.

A balmy minus 13 when we got back to the car at 5pm. Hoping for at least a couple more days of sun... snowHead
snow report
head_like_a_rock wrote:
Grading seems harsher than I'm used to, blacks we skied today would have been red in the big French resorts. No queues anywhere, loads of wide cruising runs for us lazy intermediates.

The 3-tier grading system (blue-red-black, no green) has the effect of understating difficulty to those used to the 4-tier French system where reds are all pretty steep and black is reserved for the steepest and mogulled pitches.

Everything in the Dolomites tends to get bashed smooth every night which makes every piste that bit more flattering too.
latest report
Because the ski conditions out here are so good at the moment all the steep runs are fairly easy.
snow report
Oh, and it's still f"ing cold..
snow conditions
FrequentFaller wrote:
Oh, and it's still f"ing cold..
... if not colder. We were at the top of Pralongia this morning intending to ski down to San Cassiano but it was so bitterly cold we headed to Corvara instead and spend most of the day between there and La Villa hiding from the worst of the wind (not that strong but very cold). IMHO, the piste grading is more or less correct but the main issue this week is having decent edges - some of the runs are boiler plate under a dusting of snow
snow conditions
Have now done the Sella Ronda each way - personally preferred the Orange route as we seemed to spend much more time on lifts going via the Green route. I've noticed there are lots of gondolas here - good for the current cold weather!

Want to go up Marmolada and do the Hidden Valley / Cinque Torri area before the week is over.

Pistes are excellent and grippy pretty much all over. Had to get my skis re-waxed though as my all purpose wax was sticking at these sub -10C temps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy