Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Snowheads Flight Club

Poster: A snowHead
Booked some SWISS flights for a Jan trip and there was some debate earlier about whether ski carriage was included on flights with Helvetica, particularly from LCY as the Helvetica website states it isnt. Spoke to their customer service centre and they said all flights sold via their website with LX codes include ski carriage in the standard (not light) fare, the different operater names are a legal distinction only.

Will try and get them to confirm in writing before I go too!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just looked at my flights

10.30 GLA arr GVA 18.00 on Fri 13th

leave GVA 15.05 are GLA 19.40 on 21st

Price on normal booking £172 and use 8,500 AVIOS to take it to £110

Or use 14,000 AVIOS to reduce by £90 to take the total cost to £82.

Now the same flights with a redemption ticket is 15,000 Avios +£90..... so 1,000 more avios and £10 more for a redemption.

Booking the redemption and aiming for the £110 price requires 13,600 avios so 5,100 more avios.

Taking someone with approx 10,000 avios in the bank. Using the direct above and 8,500 avios gets a fare of £110
Using redemption and 9,400 avios gets a fare of £170 (only £2 cheaper than a straight cash fare)
Using redemption even 10,600 avios gets you to a £150 fare.

So it is alway worth checking both ways.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-10-17 11:34; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Daishan wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, I noticed in the EoSB thread you said it's generally cheaper to book on the BA site and use Avios points to reduce the cost, I've done a little flight searching and to me it appears to be better to book the Avios flights if you can, I don't fly that often so quite possible I'm missing something obvious, doing the maths wrong or just didn't understand what you meant in the other thread Embarassed

LHR - GVA Sat, 14 Apr
Dep 6:45
Arr: 9:20

GVA - LHR Sat, 21 Apr
Dep 21:20
Arr: 21:55

On the BA site if you choose Economy Plus the cost is £113.5 you can reduce that by £40 with 5500 Avios (earning 250 Avios in rewards) that works out to £73.50 cash and costing you 131.25 Avios per £ saved.
If you choose Business class the cost is £354.50 you can reduce that by £70 with 10000 Avios (earning 1500 Avios in rewards) that works out to £284.50 cash and costing you 121.4 A/£

Whereas if you book through the Avios site Economy costs £35 + 8500 Avios, I calculate that as costing 108.2 A/£
Booking Business £50 + 16750 Avios looks to be by far the best bang for your Avios point at 55 A/£

Not sure all that makes sense or not. Confused

I had a look at your flights and indeed I was amazed that from LHR you can't use more than 5,500 AVIOS. Yet my GLA flights allow 17,000 to be used.

A classic example of checking both methods. Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GlasgowCyclops, there's a fair bit of variation then, like you say need to check both sites to make the most of your points.
The small amount of checking i've done so far tends to suggest the £ cost on the BA site can fluctuate a fair amount over time whereas the Avios site seems to stay the same points cost until the flights are gone.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@GlasgowCyclops, what is a redemption ticket?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mmgg1988, if you just ask them to email you with special baggage confirmation. You will be fine
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, what is a redemption ticket?

A redemption ticket is a flight that BA (and other frequent flyer programs) "allows" you to buy with airmails (AVIOS in this case). IE one you use to redeem miles for cash or one you can use with an upgrade token or two for one token (EG AMEX benefits). However, some people think that to book with AVIOS you need to use the "book with Avios" drop down. However, even a normal "cash" flight allows you to use your AVIOS.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah ok.. i thought you were talking about something different
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I obviously need to up my game and check more carefully. I hate booking travel and mostly I just book a normal, cash flight and use what Avios are available. And, if my ski flights are under £100 return, which they normally are, I'm happy. Lazy person. Embarassed (I would take more care long-haul and if I flew more frequently than I do.)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@speachmaus, That's what I have done as I had to e-mail them about my airbag anyway.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In hope and anticipation of Admin coming back with the goods on a family bash I have started looking at flights. At the moment I am looking for routes / options I should be looking at (if that makes sense). So I am looking to fly out from Bournemouth, Southampton, Heathrow or Gatwick (in that preference order). Flying to Chambéry, Geneva or Lyon for getting to Val Thorens

This is for flying out on the 7th and back on 14th April (which means that some routes have stopped).

Which airlines / routes should I be searching on? Have I missed any routes which are sensible? Thanks for any suggestions. Nb we will be wanting to take a big ski bag in addition to normal baggage.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Here's the multi-way permutation on Google Flights (not everyone is aware that you can have multiple start/end points on GF).

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#search;f=BOH,SOU,LHR,LGW;t=CMF,GVA,LYO;d=2018-04-07;r=2018-04-14;px=2,2;q=flights
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowdave wrote:
Here's the multi-way permutation on Google Flights (not everyone is aware that you can have multiple start/end points on GF).

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#search;f=BOH,SOU,LHR,LGW;t=CMF,GVA,LYO;d=2018-04-07;r=2018-04-14;px=2,2;q=flights

Excellent thanks! I have also found Titan flights via another website (skiflights - iirc). Which gives me Gatwick to Chambéry.

So any other Options would be good to know as well. Flybe is well over 2k for the 4 of us Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Outbound you could do LCY to CMF on BA using Avios which includes bags, assuming you have 4.5k avios per person.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would normally suggest Swiss if you have a ski bag (see my posts above). They have several flights from/to LHR on those dates but issue is the return is either very early or very expensive! Easyjet from LGW are the cheapest generally but might not be by the time you add bags etc. BA somewhere in between from LHR or LGW.

Depending on where you are in Dorset/Hampshire/Wiltshire then Easyjet from Bristol at good times at £190pp might not be too bad
ski holidays
I'm not sure if I've missed the point of this thread but I'll call on your collective wisdom, anyway. On a standard (not light) ticket with Swiss, am I right in thinking I get to bring a checked bag up to 23kg plus a checked ski bag and a seperate checked boot bag, with no weight restrictions on the skis/boots? Puzzled

And if that is right, do people bring a double ski bag and stuff their OH's clothes etc. in it too and get away with it? Puzzled
snow report
@Swiss Toby, I was looking into this yesterday while looking at flights to the EOSB. My impression according to the website is your ski carriage is free in addition to your normal check in bag, but you're not allowed to put things other than your equipment in the ski bags. It lists boots, skis and helmet as all applicable for free travel, but then talks about extra items not allowed in those bags
snow report
Bennisboy wrote:
@Swiss Toby, I was looking into this yesterday while looking at flights to the EOSB. My impression according to the website is your ski carriage is free in addition to your normal check in bag, but you're not allowed to put things other than your equipment in the ski bags. It lists boots, skis and helmet as all applicable for free travel, but then talks about extra items not allowed in those bags

Yes, that's why I was asking. All slightly ambiguous, as airline T&Cs tend to be... Mad

I'm hoping someone who's done it will chip in. Little Angel
snow conditions
Swiss Toby wrote:
Bennisboy wrote:

Yes, that's why I was asking. All slightly ambiguous, as airline T&Cs tend to be... Mad

See here for the simple version.

https://www.swiss.com/ireland/en/swiss-the-skiers-airline.html
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Swiss Toby wrote:
Bennisboy wrote:

Thanks GC. I guess what I'm wondering is how strict are they on the 'first set of equipment' criteria. Will they be ok with a double ski bag containing 2 sets of skis and boots? Or one set of skis plus lots of clothes? Or do they check it is just one set of skis? Puzzled

I'm hoping someone who does this regularly can tell me what the reality is in practice. Smile
snow report
I just flew with Lufthansa (same company as Swiss and same rules) I had 2 sets of skis plus clothes in one ski bag plus boot bag with boits and toiletries in it no questions no problem. They just care about weight not what's in them.
snow report
Swiss Toby wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Swiss Toby wrote:
Bennisboy wrote:

Thanks GC. I guess what I'm wondering is how strict are they on the 'first set of equipment' criteria. Will they be ok with a double ski bag containing 2 sets of skis and boots? Or one set of skis plus lots of clothes? Or do they check it is just one set of skis? Puzzled

I'm hoping someone who does this regularly can tell me what the reality is in practice. Smile

Although if there's two of you flying, why do you need to "try to get away with it?" You both get free ski carriage included, so it wouldn't matter anyway. (Or are you talking about trying to shove their clothes in there?
latest report
Here's a question someone may be able to save me some time on. If anyone has any actual experience of this it would be handy to know.

I'm sitting in the UK, but I'm going to need to buy some North American flights in local currency. What's the best place to get that - the airline website, or expedia.com or is there another place I should look?
---

Oh, I like the google flights multi-option search thing, that's cool.
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
Here's a question someone may be able to save me some time on. If anyone has any actual experience of this it would be handy to know.

I'm sitting in the UK, but I'm going to need to buy some North American flights in local currency. What's the best place to get that - the airline website, or expedia.com or is there another place I should look?
---

Do you mean USD?
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

---

One thing you may want to consider if you want one of the bigger airlines (EG One World) is to fly from a mainland european airport. Favourites just now are Oslo, Copenhagen and Sofia. You can do a positioning flight to those and save £500. Also having a stop in Dublin is a good option.

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/#search;f=OSL,CPH,SOF,ARL,LHR,LGW;t=PHL,JFK;d=2018-02-18;r=2018-02-22;a=ONEWORLD;eo=e

As for currency, the only one I know if is to use Expedia, scroll to the bottom of a page and you an see the locations of the "Global Sites" and click on them.
snow report
Where are you flying to and from and what dates?
snow conditions
@philwig, I use the airline websites, but then I have a deep dislike of using intermediaries. However, if you also have a transatlantic ticket, it's usually a lot cheaper to combine domestics with that.
snow report
Bennisboy wrote:
Swiss Toby wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Swiss Toby wrote:
Bennisboy wrote:

Although if there's two of you flying, why do you need to "try to get away with it?" You both get free ski carriage included, so it wouldn't matter anyway. (Or are you talking about trying to shove their clothes in there?

The other ticket is a 'light' fare so only one ski bag. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This should be a really useful thread - sometimes you can't even find out what a carrier is going to charge for a ski bag until you've booked your ticket - ridiculous! - so should be very useful to pool knowledge.
ski holidays
Jude1 wrote:
This should be a really useful thread - sometimes you can't even find out what a carrier is going to charge for a ski bag until you've booked your ticket - ridiculous! - so should be very useful to pool knowledge.

...except I still haven't had a response from anyone who can answer my question from personal experience. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Swiss Toby, ok
Let me get this right, you have booked 2 flights. One classic and one light. Am I right?
You want to know if you can take 2 sets if skis plus clothes in a double ski bag? Plus take a boot bag plus one suitcase plus hand luggage for 2 people travelling? Am I right in thinking g that's what you are asking?
If so yes you can do that but you cannot go over 23kg with any item of luggage. So double ski bag with clothes is 23kg max. So is the one suitcase.
But you need to call and add the ski and boot bag to your booking.
They won't look in your bag they just check the weights.
snow conditions
@philwig, google search is based off ITA Software's "Matrix" app (which Google acquired some time ago). matrix.itasoftware.com

biggest downside is that it doesn't list all the LoCos, e.g. Easyjet.

I have on a few occasions saved significant amounts by e.g. purchasing through, say, Travelocity (based in LA) and benefitting from some form of APEX fare which I was too late to get purchasing in European time zone.
latest report
When I've flown with Swiss yes, skis and boots go free in addition to your 23k checked bag. Boots don't have to be in same bag as skis. I've used a separate boot bag, no problem.

So the issue is weight for ski equipment, which I can't see mentioned, and can you get away with 2 pairs of skis?

As others have noted, I've never known them open a ski bag (even a double one) to check contents. Swiss and BA aren't Ryanair, they're not looking to sting you for being a gram overweight, but as they do state 'we are happy to transport your first set of skis and boots FOC' you ARE taking a risk putting 2 pairs in. Seems to me it all comes down to whether you're happy to take the chance that your ski bag won't be opened.

Has anyone been rumbled for having 2 pairs of skis? Does Swiss have a weight restriction on ski equipment?

Apologies if eggs and grandmothers springs to mind but just hopes this clarifies the questions
ski holidays
Thanks for clarifying the weight limit on ski equipment speachmaus!
snow report
@Jude1, been a while since we've flown Ryanair and taken skis, but even they didn't check what was in the ski bag, just the weight of it.
latest report
@Jude1, @Hells Bells, I flew Ryanair last year they too only check weight.
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
... Do you mean USD?

Or Canadian in Canada. Flights are zero rated so the cost differential is probably less than with other things, but I'm just wondering if there's an opportunity there somewhere. Maybe not. I'm not sure precisely where I'll go yet - which is one reason not to want to tie a lot off flights together.

But anyway, Generally I think it's a good idea to have somewhere with some focus on actual flights rather than package operators. The problem with the thread format is... that it's hard to maintain a "summary of current best knowledge" - it's all linear. Hmm.
snow conditions
speachmaus wrote:
@Swiss Toby, ok
Let me get this right, you have booked 2 flights. One classic and one light. Am I right?
You want to know if you can take 2 sets if skis plus clothes in a double ski bag? Plus take a boot bag plus one suitcase plus hand luggage for 2 people travelling? Am I right in thinking g that's what you are asking?
If so yes you can do that but you cannot go over 23kg with any item of luggage. So double ski bag with clothes is 23kg max. So is the one suitcase.
But you need to call and add the ski and boot bag to your booking.
They won't look in your bag they just check the weights.

Thanks, that answers the question perfectly (and it's what I wanted to hear). Very Happy
ski holidays
@Swiss Toby, yay.
snow report
Delta & Virgin codeshare. Delta owns a large slice of Virgin (& Soon Air France & KLM will as well - so maybe the Virgin Reward program will merge with KLM/Air France)
Its usually cheaper to book via Delta than Virgin & end up flying on the same metal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy