Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Prophet 100's....what next?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All
Haven't been here or on the white stuff for 4 years as went self employed so luxuries had to go..... but now booked for January and raided the loft for all the ski kit already. As I am a kit geek, thought that my 2010/11 skis may need updating. Have Line Prophets 100's and just wondering if the Black Crow Altris would be a good forward step. I suppose 4 years ago I was OK, say a 5 or 6 handicap for golfers out there, now looking to get back in to it. Ski in Foy so when the snow is kind, try and stay mainly off piste.
I know there must be a million "What's the best ski" posts, but mine is more - are the BC's a good step up from the Prophets? Or are they about the same, new technology means BC are far easier and will improve skiing, or no, if the Lines were good, then you should be going to XYZ's....
As usual, any help, pointers or comments always appreciated.
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a pair of 15/16 Atris in the 184. I am 183cm and 80kg. The skis are mounted with pin bindings and are used as an all round ski. The 15/16 and 16/17 Atris are identical. The 17/18 is slightly different: they have lengthened the turn radius and softened the ski slightly. I suspect that will make them more stable in soft snow to the detriment of their performance on piste.

I really like the Atris. It is a good all round ski for someone skiing off piste 80-90 per cent of the time. The skis like to be driven laterally and do not respond particularly well to a "drive the tips" skiing style. They have a wide performance envelope and can potter around quite happily on piste at slow speeds if the occasion requires. Equally, there is quite a lot of top end there and I am not a good enough skier to require more ski. They float really well in soft snow and also pivot sharply. They are the closest I have found to a "one ski" for everything.

I seem to recall that the Prophet (which I have never skied) was stiffer and had metal in it. If you are looking for a modern version of that then the Cochise or equivalent might be a better option.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Been a while since I skied the Prophets, and then only the 90, but they were pretty stiff from what I remember. The Atris is much more modern, bit softer, generally more playful - and a better all round freeride ski IMO. Not as good as the Prophets on hard pistes though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Gorilla - Thanks. I've read up on the BC's for 2018 and like the sound of them, plus they are in budget! and happy that they may not be great piste ski - happy just cruising the piste and then working the pow. Not looking for a modern version of prophets, more a ski that goes up the ski level so I can work at improving and getting better. So you are skiing yours short - ski is less than your height - I'm 176cm and 89 kilo was going to go 184's as always thought my prophets could have done with a wee bit more to them (172's), was that your choice or shop advice?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Regarding height/weight - I'm in the "the ski doesn't know how tall you are camp". IMV the 184 is right for my weight given that I am not really skiing fast. I'm not getting any tip dive and they are plenty stable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Further thought: at 89 kg you should definitely be at least on the 184s. If you are skiing fast and jumping off things you should consider the 189.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are you saying I'm fat!! Mmmmm, probably am! The only jumping is off the chairlift when the guy says "get off", more of a large curve surfer pow man.
Think I'm getting sold on these things, anyone else have an opinion?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi- I used to ski Prophet 90s alpine. I now telemark and my new skis are Whitedot Carbonlite R98- they are lovely. Good on piste, off piste, bumps to a point, light, so light, so so so light compared to the Prophets. The most money I've spent on skis mind you.

also 85kg or so for 176cm, can be heavier, trying to be lighter. I have the 177cm.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to ski prophet 100s as my daily driver (still have them) and funnily enough (post above) now mainly ski on WD R108 Carbonlite.

I haven't skied the Atris but it was definitely on my shortlist when I bought the WDs.

Key difference between prophets and a ski like the Atris is that prophets are really high performance piste skis only a lot fatter - stiff, full camber, full sidecut means that they will carve significantly better than any flat/rockered ski. I mean higher edge angles, higher gs, more precision. However they require more care to ski well in deep snow - the camber means that you can get the tips to dive despite their size, the full shaped tail means that they can get "hooky" when the snow gets heavier (need more care to release the old turn). In comparison something like the atris is more playful, relaxing and flattering off piste.

If you ski off piste most of the time I think you'll find the atris more fun. Just be prepared to find the piste skiing you do a little less satisfying.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ Jedster - thanks for your comments. Think you've probably summed up what I was really asking and your last line is perfect. Piste I'm not too worried about as only use for family time and getting around. Plus your comments on the Prophets makes a lot of sense as when I first had them took to off piste and thought they would behave a lot better than they did - I know 99% is down to me and skill level, but did think the size wasn't equal to the float, so what you say makes sense.
So many options it does get a bit boggling and sure hundred quid spent on lessons would be more valuable than lots of hundreds on new kit!! But where is the fun in that...... Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi.
Used to have Prophet 90. Changed them for Line Supernatural 100 (15/16 model) last season.
Have skied on hard, soft, powder, bumps...in Espace Killy and Paradiski.
They have performed perfectly in all conditions.
Hope it helps
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@flog873347,

From what I hear I doubt you'd go far wrong with the Atris - they sound a great offpiste focused "one ski quiver" to me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy