Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back pack- what size and best shape?

Poster: A snowHead
@Awdbugga, snip those zip loops, esp the one at the bottom, as they look exactly the sort of thing that will lasso you to the chairlift
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@red 27, Will do Thanks for the tip.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Awdbugga, You only bought that for the colour - will match your pants and jacket perfectly Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PaulC1984, blimey, so it does. Now that is a coincidence. I didn't notice. rolling eyes wink Come to think of it, it will match my skis and poles as well. Spooky.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Awdbugga, looks ideal, I really like the mesh bit for putting your helmet in. Seems an absolute bargain too.

I carry a very small backback mostly to carry a bottle of water which I drink in gondolas! I carry a spare fleece and buff too as I do sometimes get chilly. Plus some energy gels. Essential bits like phone, ski lock and lip salve go in my ski trouser pockets.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
your poles are great. I had similar colour back in about 1990, people loved following me in white out conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Does it fit well with dec/jan layers and a jacket ?

I am referring to male neck and shoulder widths with winter layers but also strap lenghts .
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was a bit surprised by some of the replies in here a about piste skiing with a pack. I understand they come with a certain hassle but equally I am not a fan of all sorts stuffed in various pockets.

I’ve skied where in the morning the visibility is poor and you need the layers then later the clouds roll back and the sun is making temps rise. Losing a layer then means you have to stow it somewhere.

I used a pack twice last year and found it no issue. I had the usual things like water, hat, goggles or sunnies, sunblock, action camera crap, chocolate for the lifts wink , small usb battery pack (charge phone if needed). I actually preferred having in the pack rather than filling my pockets. Also if I take a tumble I’d rather not land on something that will dig into my leg or hips.

A couple of older this smaller lifts were a fiddle to get on but in the main it wasn’t an issue and didn’t have to remove the pack. This was in Tignes and Livigno.

Just offering an alternate view once you start getting about the mountain more
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@endoman, the poles, like most of my gear, were pretty cheap. £19.95. They are pretty luminous, to say the least. Certainly not to everyone's taste. But what can I say; I like bright orange. All my cars on Forza on my Xbox360 are bright orange. Sad old git.

@Tirol 164, yes the straps are long enough for me. I'm not big (11 stone). The straps are close towards the end of their travel, but there is still some leeway for expansion.

@blacksheep, The advice here has been polarised. Those who ski with a pack and those who prefer to fill their pockets. At least I now have the option. It fits nicely into my Dankine Fall Line double ski holder and weighs hardly anything. If it falls apart after two years, so what, it only cost the same as three cups of coffee.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awdbugga wrote:
it only cost the same as two cups of coffee.

Fixed for you. Welcome to ski resort prices.

On a side note though - I don't think it's entirely polarised information between those who like a bag and those who like pockets. I can't stand using pockets and I carry my bag all the time. BUT I have heard multiple people (including instructors) cite that carrying a backpack can affect your balance and skiing position. Perhaps for this reason it would be better for you to go without until you have that element of your technique absolutely nailed and you don't even have to think about it anymore.

So I think people are acceptant of the fact that you can join the 'bag not pockets' crowd, but just suggesting that you do it only once you've developed a solid skiing technique.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dp, good job I didn't wait and buy a backpack in resort then. Very Happy

I've skied with a much larger and heavier pack than this one, when cross country skiing. If I use it, I'll be fine. I'll keep my weight forward. Someone gave me that advice at the CF on Sunday, and it made things a lot easier. I can't remember who it was now. Puzzled rolling eyes wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 18-10-17 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awdbugga wrote:

actually (whilst normally a valid point) I found Livigno prices on kit to be generally pretty competitive, because of their lack of VAT. In the town you can buy 3-litre bottles of smirnoff for about 15 euros because of the lack of taxation. I found the ski shop to be completely reasonably priced.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dp wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

actually (whilst normally a valid point) I found Livigno prices on kit to be generally pretty competitive, because of their lack of VAT. In the town you can buy 3-litre bottles of smirnoff for about 15 euros because of the lack of taxation. I found the ski shop to be completely reasonably priced.

That's the apres sorted then. The pack holds 12 litres.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I prefer a bum-bag to keep my shoulders unrestricted. If I suspect it's going to get warm for a couple of hours in the middle of the day & that I might want to lose a layer for a while I take one of these super-light kids gym-kit bags as it compresses to nothing & can take a coat or a jersey easily.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Awdbugga, You ask what size most people use. The short answer is that the majority don’t use one at all if they are staying on piste. The minority who do use them tend to be Brits. No idea why.

My strong personal preference is not to use one at all. I can easily store everything I need in my pockets. I know some people carry spare gloves, but I really don’t think that’s necessary for the vast majority of us unless you are unusually cack-handed.

I think one ‘danger’ if back packs is that you get tempted to fill them with all sorts of crap. E.g. USB chargers!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 19-10-17 9:35; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
bum-bags look hideous, NO No NO!!! Small back pack but try to be ruthless about taking essential kit only.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-10-17 13:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Sorry, I dress for functionality not fashion. I also usually have 4 kids in tow which require additional items to be carried (first aid kit, snacks etc.) So bum-bag or backpack it is.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Awdbugga

I think one ‘danger’ if back packs is that you get tempted to fill them with all sorts of crap. E.g. USB chargers!

Laughing

In my defence it's a small and light usb pack that mans I can put a bit of juice in my phone if needed or I can charge my TomTom bandit
latest report
If I know I’ll be onpiste only (pretty rare) then I don’t take a backpack – card/cash and sunscreen all fit in pockets.

But most of the time I’ll probably be heading offpiste at some stage, so have my backpack with avy gear, and a small amount of other stuff. I try to be ruthless about not adding much to it – sometimes lunch and energy bars, and usually my compressed down spare layer, but that’s it.

I have a camelback ski backpack which isn’t made any more – camelback drastically cut their winter range Sad It’s very low profile on my back, being wide rather than deep, so very rarely comes off for chairs. It also has great compression straps which do keep it compact when empty, but I can easily fit everything I need for day tours in it when needed (skins, shell, spare gloves etc).
ski holidays
@McKenzie, I’m not having a go, but do you really need to carry a first aid kit? On the piste you will be far closer to a restaurant or lift station than you are ever likely to be on a stroll in the country. What injuries are your children likely to get on the piste that you can treat with a first aid kit? Snacks I understand, but four flapjacks don’t take up that much space.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
... You ask what size most people use. The short answer is that the majority don’t use one at all if they are staying on piste. The minority who do use them tend to be Brits. No idea why.....
In North America the resorts usually have a tree used by people to hang back-packs on so customers don't have to carry them around.
Those are mostly used by young people who don't have their own vehicle to leave their shoes and stuff in, or those who don't want to pay for the lockers.
latest report
Grandma Sunshine wrote:
Small back but try to be ruthless about taking essential kit only.

Put out everything you want to take... Then remove everything you don't need... Then get rid of at least 1/2 of the remainder.
snow report
McKenzie wrote:
I prefer a bum-bag to keep my shoulders unrestricted. If I suspect it's going to get warm for a couple of hours in the middle of the day & that I might want to lose a layer for a while I take one of these super-light kids gym-kit bags as it compresses to nothing & can take a coat or a jersey easily.

oh my god do people actually wear bum bags?
snow conditions
Fanny packs! Very Happy
snow conditions
@blacksheep, Laughing
latest report
Belch wrote:
Salomon Trail 10

Exactly the one I got for last season. Just the ticket for a lightweight fleece and oddments.
latest report
It's rare that I don't ski with a pack.
Generally that's because I will be off piste at some point during the day.
On other occasions, even if I will be on piste all day, I am in a group where carrying a water bottle, a spare layer, spare gloves, spare buff, some snacks and a small kit for "running repairs" on sore spots/shin bang etc can make the difference between getting more skiing done or going in. I carry a down gilet which can be worn by anyone in the family if they get cold. My wife and son both have poor circulation and if their hands get cold they need warm dry gloves and handwarmers to turn it around.
If it's late season, fair weather and I know I will be on piste all day then I won't carry one.
If I was skiing without the family in January and was going to be on piste all day then I wouldn't carry one either. But that is very unlikely to happen.
What do I use? I've got an embarrassment of rucksacks but one of my favourites for on piste family skiing is a very simple 15l back with one zip pocket designed for running.
snow report
You might also want to take a look at this Outlander Travel Backpack which my friend recently bought. He saw this backpack at https://www.sportsgearlab.com/best-gym-backpack/. I'm not sure if this one is good since my friend hasn't use this. Any takers will be appreciated. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.adventure-journal.com/2017/11/youre-gonna-want-flextrex-37trillion/?utm_source=AJ%27s+Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=73eddf921f-Daily+Digest+newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a7cb93cd43-73eddf921f-390105989&mc_cid=73eddf921f&mc_eid=53ff1c40a5

The ultimate backpack.
snow conditions
I think we must be spoiled in the PdS, as I am struggling to think of anywhere from where you can't ski to a bar in under 5 minutes, if you get a raging thirst.
ski holidays
WindOfChange wrote:
I think we must be spoiled in the PdS, as I am struggling to think of anywhere from where you can't ski to a bar in under 5 minutes, if you get a raging thirst.
My thoughts exactly. 😀😀😀
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, bit easier to just put the camelbak model in your gob to have a drink than get to a bar to have one though.

I ski with a bag because I want to. Never quite understood why that seems to upset so many other people Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy