Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA/Canada Trip - Advice sought

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm in the process of planning a 4/5 week trip to the US and Canada in January, beginning right after new years, and I'm looking for your input on my rough plan.

To begin with, we (2 of us) will have the Epic Pass. My reason for this over others is that I want to spend more than 2 days at a few resorts (rules out Mountain Collective), and also want to end up in Whistler because I have friends in Vancouver. I don't like moving around every couple of days, I like having a base for a while. On that note, the draft plan goes as follows:

- Fly into Denver and buy skis etc. and rent a car to have for the duration of the trip. Base ourselves in Frisco for around a week. From here we can easily access Breckenridge, Keystone with a little more hassle and then Arapahoe too. We want a bit of nightlife so will spend more time at Breckenridge, snow conditions depending of course.
- Move onto Vail and Beaver Creek. Stay in Minturn which is between both and has a cool looking hostel. Spend about a week there.
- Next, onto Park City. Sundance will be beginning so that will be interesting, also this means that the slopes will be quiet. Spend maybe 5 days here, staying in Salt Lake City due to the ridiculous prices during Sundance.
- Spend about 5 days driving to Vancouver, take a break from skiing and stop in places along the way (Portland, Seattle etc.)
- Finally arrive in Vancouver. Spend a week to 10 days here and in Whistler (friends live in Vancouver so I'd like to see the city)

Input I am looking for:

- There is no real reason for beginning in Colorado over Vancouver, does one tend to be better than the other for January snow?
- Basically time spent in each place. Should I spend less time in Breck / Vail and more time in Park City and vice versa.
- And anything else you think might be good to know

There isn't huge amount of flexibility because we will have accommodation booked before going to keep costs down. In Colorado, with the resorts so close together we will be able to go to any of them on a day if snow conditions dictate so.

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
conor90 wrote:
.... Input I am looking for: ...
Snow varies season by season. I can tell you which way you should have driven last season, but not next. It's a something-or-other weather thing this season, so interior BC (where you're not going) should be good wink

That's a fair old drive and you may encounter interesting conditions. Perhaps you know, but don't under-estimate the distances and don't use Google's summer driving time estimates. Be prepared for aggressive questioning from both sides on the border. Just answer the questions, don't volunteer more. Buy screen wash.

If I was doing that trip I'd use the mobility you have to spend more time in places like Crystal/ Baker/Jackson/Powder Mountain/Winter Park etc. They're less synthetic, cheaper, and tend to have fewer people competing for the powder. Plus they mostly aren't "destination" resorts, so you don't need to do that booking in advance thing, making it easier to follow the powder. I did read the bit about not liking moving around... in SLC you can stay in the city and bag all the local hills from there, they're all close enough for day trips.

I'm of course pleased that most people go where you're going wink Park City is the least "Utah" resort, other than Sundance, although that's funky for other reasons.

Your Vancouver contacts can likely help you with that bit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I suppose the ski pass is driving the choice of resorts,the vail resorts. Doing resorts individually would rack serious costs with ski passes.

We're actually not going to drive over the boarder,because it makes the rental a lot more expensive. We're going to leave it he car in Seattle. One of said friends commutes regularly between Seattle and vancouver so he'll sort us out there
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I thought that may be the case.

Border: that simplifies the rental, otherwise you obviously have to tell the company. It's no big deal, but Brits crossing at Bellingham with Americans has caused minor delays for me before now, it just confuses them a bit.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
conor90, Sounds like a great trip, I'd love to get one as long as that Smile

Listen to philwig, he speaks sense about this sort of stuff, often offers a wealth of advice and knowledge, so cant add much more really.
Have you tried yet to book accommodation in SLC over Sundance ? Many places tend to get booked up months to a year in advance. You may well get something, but not always what you want.

I'd also spend a bit more time in UT, but seeing as you're geared around the epic pass, probably not worth it. Enjoy PC with the tourists Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Consider buying a MCP to top up Aspen, Altabird, Snowbasin JH and SunValley would all be awesome to hit on your trip.

Assuming that's a bit toppy do do the drive up to Jackson after skiing a morning in PC and have a day skiing there and a sightseeing day in the valley and a day at Targhee (absolutely worth it - there's a lot of boring in Idaho and Montana to get across).

My buddy runs the hostel in Minturn. In fact came up with the idea while he was driving back from a trip to JH where I'd met and skied with him. He's a cool guy and will destroy you skiing if you get him to show you some of the Beav.

Don't know what type of skis you want but if you're not after new consider posting up a skis wanted ad on Pugski or TGR - lots of people have chunks of redundant quiver out there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If I can budget it right, I'd definitely consider getting the MC pass. It's very easy for costs to spiral out of control though because the choices and opportunities are endless!

I'm not a very experienced skier, I've only 5 one week ski holidays in Europe behind me. I started to explore in some of the deep stuff this year in Val d'Isere, so I'm hoping on this trip with 4 weeks constant skiing, I should see some really good improvement, particularly in powder. On that note I'll be buying second hand skis, probably all mountain at the wider end. I'll look into posting those ads.

It'd be great to hook up with your buddy when we're there, I'd love someone to show us the ropes.

The advice has been great so far!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think you really need to buy another pass. There is plenty of skiing on just the epic pass and resorts you mention to keep you busy. OK some of the more interesting resorts are on other passes, but you don't need to see everywhere in one trip. I like your idea of spending more days at each resort. It takes a bit of time to get orientated and find the best areas. As you will be skiing inbounds off piste you will find you can ski many different lines in the same glades or bowl. Also some of the best terrain may be hike to.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Before you book the ' cool hostel' in Minturn read the reviews.

I did and decided to give it a miss. Stayed in the Silver Inn in Silverthorne instead and was happy there..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CONOR90 sez, and correctly at that, thank you.................

"I don't like moving around every couple of days, I like having a base for a while." Well, I guess that means that a side trip to Buck Hill, afterward time refreshing at Augies is out of the question........ That's an inside joke no one on this board would understand. But if you want to research it, you might get it. Tip : Ski-U-Mah

Some simple thoughts from a simple man on your ski odyssey.........

Typically, the West Coast gets its snow a bit later and longer over the winter to that of interior - Rocky Mountain locations. There is already snow and now, technically speaking, skiing in Colorado as of today. Weather patterns over the past four months in the Rockies have been greater than average in terms of precipitation, as well cooler than average. So...., if that trend continues.......... Let's just say by Christmas, all the more January forward (a fantastic time to be in North America), via the on-going push of snowmaking, skiing should be just fine and then some. Hey...., I, my family and our invited friends count on it. Therefore, your intention to invade North America at Denver and exit in Vancouver makes the greatest sense.

Make certain your rental car is to your absolute satisfaction, beginning with the tires. And, as has been thankfully said, keep a good supply of (-20) windshield/screen wash which is available everywhere from gas stations to grocery stores for about two bucks. If the rental car company does not supply........, buy a window scraper, too. Comes in handy many times. That's a few bucks......, $4.00 or so, if that. A basic house broom for about $6.00 does wonders in clearing off snow on a car. Any place you are intending to be has good back-and-forth public shuttle if such befits you such as when you're holed up down in quiet, unassuming Minturn. For what it's worth, on balance, there is "more" within the combined region of Summit County - Breckenridge/Copper/Keystone/A-Basin/Loveland..........., later, Vail/Beaver Creek to that of Utah which IS wonderful. Does that answer one of your questions............?

If you are buying skis upon your arrival, while there exists no one best place per se., Colorado has had a shakeout regarding ski shops over the past five plus years with Christy Sports intelligently consolidating their position and they do a v. good job. They have numerous locations, a good selection of various brand and know their stuff. Outside of their several Denver facilities, there is a Christy Sports as I recall in Frisco/Dillon and Breckenridge, amongst other numerous locations within the state which includes Vail/Beaver Creek. To that end, I would NOT be the least bashful were I in your shoes and if I purchased skis/bindings from them - telling Christy Sports what I was up to - ask the store mgr. (who tend to be pretty good and accommodating "Joe's") in lieu of your kind $$$$ purchase......., if he would be so kind to "throw in" a bunch of gratis overnight hot waxes throughout their system when you are finally on your ski odyssey. If you were able to swing this.........., skiing as you will where Christy Sports are located such as Breckenridge, Keystone, Vail and Beaver Creek AND Park City, you'd have that manifold benefit.... Think about it. You would have at each and every day's end the ability to simply drop off the skis for next a.m. Then they're off your hands with the knowledge of being perfectly prepped for the following day.

Another tip............ Consider a small compressible backpack that accommodates your ski boots, just......... Walk to the lift with your boots in the backpack and there, switch out, compress the pack and ski with it. It also is perfect for holding a backup set of gloves, goggles, and a few other beneficial necessities. At day's end, switch back to your sneakers. Sure takes the Frankenstein affect of trudging around immediately away when you REALLY need it after skiing. If you take such advice, just get the boots out of that proverbial incubator asap at the hotel, stuff with numerous balled up pages of newspaper for two hours to absorb moisture.

It's been years and then some since I was last in Utah. But, watch your speed when driving in Utah. *** They ARE watching............!!!

On your way to the West Coast/Vancouver, if you take an angular route toward Oregon/Washington which is a most open and beautiful in its own right region of my country, unless you have had your fill of skiing, I have to put in a good word for Sun Valley. It's not so out of the way and it is a truly gorgeous, unique place. Give it some consideration. I'd also put in a good word for Mt. Bachelor in Oregon which is a lollapalooza one of a kind especially when it's running on all cylinders, but it is in all likelihood significantly out of your way, so I'll pass. Portland is honestly nothing to write home about unless you're a commie, commie hipster. Seattle and the surrounding region does have its flair and beauty and you have your connection there. If you stay overnight, get a simple place to stay within its immediate perimeter. It's an easy town to get around. Some nice vistas and places to eat chiefly down by the water.

*** Watch - guard your car vis-a-vis any and all personal possessions!!!!! Sad to say, be same in Colorado, Utah, Oregon or Washington......., many accomplished/in the blink of an eye highwayman ARE on the lookout for touristos and their traveling bank on four wheels. So, guard your stuff if and when it's in your hooptie. Park right in front of any store, restaurant, etc. if you are on the move with any of your loot as much out of sight as possible. I'll send you a USMC window sticker for the rear window if you like.................

Great advice when you're crossing into Canada. Canada is hard nosed and without any humor whatsoever on entry and I am from a border state where I still make my primary home, so I know Canada. Those Canadian border guards would give even a family member a gimlet eye and full shakedown........ Coming (back) into my country is easy, especially if you wear a sombrero and serape.

Have a great trip and I say this with absolute confidence. Just watch your a$$ here and there ***.................

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 17-10-17 16:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I generally find my first day at a resort you go down a lot of dead ends so to speak, take wrong turns and do crap runs because you don't know where you're going - that's my reason for wanting to stay put a bit. All the resorts I'm missing out on will give me a reason to come back and do this again!

TQA the reviews seem good, unless I'm missing something. I've stayed in lots of bad hostels in my time, this seems luxurious in comparison.

arcsinice What a fantastic write up, I really appreciate you going to length and detail. Would you recommend spending more time closer to Vail while I'm in Colorado, as opposed to Breckenridge?

Does Christy Sports do second hand equipment? I'd imagine by January there won't be much on sale and I don't fancy forking out full price. I saw a place online called Powder7 that do ex demo skis, have you any experience with them?

I'll look into Sun Valley, I might be getting withdrawals by the time I reach that area and need a day on the slopes. I crossed the Canadian border 11 years ago, when I was 16 on a trip with a sports team. Even then they gave me an absolute grilling!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CONOR

If this reaches you.....................

As a courtesy to yourself, I spoke with Christy Sports in Denver, specifically their Littleton store at 8601 West Cross Ave, Littleton.
Tel :(720) 981-1761

Spoke to a ski dept. guy by the name of Jerry. V. nice and knowledgeable individual who did confirm that they do have of all the stores a (the) best selection of demos for sale, "catch as catch can.........." Any demo would, of course, come with binding and would be discounted dependent upon age and condition. That same is a demo that they would be confident in letting out their front door assumes that most potential skis would not be some "turkey" of a ski. We've all seen demos. Some are great, others not. Of course critical inspection is paramount.......... Brand is not an issue, rather type of ski and available length that is peculiar to more Western - open mountain type of skiing that also befits Europe. As things change over time he agreed that if you have an interest you might want to intelligently give a call a day or two before you fly to get a general idea of what is available. We also agreed that if you pursued Christy and purchase was made a full tune up would be in order (discounted), as well, a bunch of free waxes as I originally alluded to............. I told him that you in all likelihood had your own boots, it was simply skis/bindings you potentially might have an interest in.

Again, I am NOT attempting to promote Christy Sports. Just a suggestion. But................... Since they have a multitude of shop throughout the state - and Park City - (visit their website) at all the skiing locations you will be rummaging around it might be a best choice for potential purchase as if you purchase from them nearly no matter where you go, they too, are also "there", if you follow...........
Let's say you purchase from them in Denver and all is great.......... O.K. But, if there was a post purchase oddity/problem, you could conveniently go to any of their shops and work it out.......... No other operation in the region has that going for them. And remember, they're in Park City, too.

What else............ You ask about spending greater time in either Breckenridge/Summit County (Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, Ski Cooper, Keystone, A-Basin and maybe even Loveland), or over and down the pass at Vail/Beaver Creek............... With Summit County you have 4 clear and away facilities, with *Ski Cooper (utterly fantastic albeit "small" - check it out their website) and Loveland at the very top of Eisenhower Tunnel, vs. the combined Vail/Beaver Creek complex.
They're both great. They're both great in their own individual right. Your experience at both will demonstrate that. That which is Summit County does offer greater lateral capability/variety across-the-board via the aforementioned 6 skiing facilities with Breckenridge/Frisco - Dillon and Silverthorne as "towns" that are easier to get around. Nothing wrong with the Vail/Beaver Creek show. Just less variety overall. Minturn is a whistle stop, not even a town, beyond quiet that pretty much serves as a place to eat and sleep for Vail/Beaver Creek skiing in addition to what both facilities offer as far as lodging and noshing are concerned. Summit County eateries are less costly to that of Vail/Beaver Creek. Both offer bus service.
Vail's backside is big, open and most worthy. Hint.............. Too often Vail's frontside is overlooked. Beaver Creek groom more heavily than Vail due to their clientele. But regardless, all areas are great. With Vail you do get the backside. But be aware, it does get beaten up. Everyone goes back there. Well................, NOT everyone..........

Two or three additional suggestions.............

If you want to do something that no one else ever tends to do and this can be easily accomplished at any time of the day, during the day, best of all starting around 4:00 in the afternoon, say, after a day or part of a day of skiing or simply on a day if you choose not to ski............ And equal drive time from either Breckenridge or Vail (just a LOT easier if approached from Summit County - the East..............) Here we go.................. Consider renting snowshoes for the day at any number of sport shops and going to the top of VAIL PASS on I-70. On I-70, at VAIL PASS, there is an exit (DO NOT MISS IT!!!!) Take the exit - overpass on to the south side of I-70 to the parking lot. Park there. From there head further south on foot, where the trail starts - you can't miss it, put on the snowshoes. (Tip: you can easily/best use tennis/athletic shoes as opposed to boots. This might sound insane but it works perfectly and is more athletic with athletic shoes............. Get some plastic shopping bags that grocery stores use and wrap one over and around each shoe, complete/secure with duct tape THEN put on the snowshoe. The bags serve as a protective barrier against snow on the shoes while allowing for easier walking. I've done this for years. Looks wild, works wonderfully. Your feet don't get cold. Do have a set of ski poles, dress properly (!) and start hiking/walking toward the "masstif" mountain that is easily seen from the highway/parking lot. (Check out Google maps, you'll see where VAIL PASS EXIT is). From the parking lot a general trek is about a two mile plus route that allows you to branch off WHEREVER you want. Total free verse. It's ALL high meadow - 10,500 plus feet or so and absolutely phenomenal for a mid/later afternoon trek (nothing Herculean) going into early evening. It's completely safe. You can't get lost and the only other people back there are snowmobilers who go further back but notoriously clear out by 5:00 and make their way off the summit. I've been back there several times with a friend of mine who has a place in Vail and when the sun goes down it's to die for. We've come out of there and back to the car as late as 10:00 p.m. It's great. You're all by yourself/yourselves. It really IS an experience right off this major national highway that you wouldn't even know is there. It's just past Copper Mountain/Frisco. Eventually you get back to the car (that has none of your possessions in it, of course.............) and make your way back either to Summit County or Vail, depending upon where you came from. You will be blown away.

You must not overlook - do not miss a trip (again, at the end of the day) - where it is convenient to Glenwood Springs. Glenwood is, call it, one hour west of Vail on I-70. At Glenwood Springs - a small "town" you have the famous hot springs. A public facility of MASSIVE open hot spring pools that speaks for itself. Go there. They're open all day and night. Just bring a swimsuit. Aside from several hotel, motel, there are a number of pedestrian restaurants. Check out Glenwood Springs via Google and Google images. A picture is all you need to understand. All in......., between admission, towel and secure with key locker fee you're looking at $20.00 per person rounded UP....... This too, will blow you away. And following a few lovely hours typically at dusk on to night in the warm springs, most just want at that point to crawl into bed. Or, get a meal then crawl into bed. So............. A long drive is not the easiest thing to do.

Ski Cooper........... As remarked, a fantastic ski facility albeit "small"......, "only" 1,100 vertical. It's BASE elevation is around 10,500. But this place is worthy of one day at least. It's cheap, gorgeous and many times no one is essentially there midweek. The vistas are to die for, BOTH front and back. The skiing is easy, nothing "death defying', just nice, beautiful terrain. Preferably approach from Summit County via Highway 91 - at the Copper Mountain juncture going toward Leadville, then turn on to Highway 24. I do NOT recommend getting to Cooper from Minturn. That road is not an easy road to drive many times, especially downhill. On a map an inexperienced traveler might say why not drive down Vail Pass (always watch your speed on that - Eisenhower, too!!!!!!!!), seriously(!!!!!) and then at Minturn take 24. No.............. If you go to Ski Cooper from Summit County, take I-70 west toward Copper, and just before Copper, take 91. It's a nice, easy drive. Watch out when you get near Leadville for the 24 turnoff on your right which, once on 24, about five minutes later at the top of the summit with a near nondescript sign you'll see "SKI COOPER", on your right. And yes, Cooper is NOT Copper. Confusing.............? Of course.

Sun Valley.............. If same during your trip serves as potential interest, before anything else, check out their conditions. Sun Valley is insanely gorgeous, a really nice mountain throughout but has had a decade or two of up and down snowfall while other western resorts can be in great shape. We've seen where essentially most resorts within other western states are doing nicely but Sun Valley is "down on its luck", so to speak. When Baldy (SV) has good snowfall, it's another one of a kind.

Hope this helps. There are some great things going on over there in Vail and Summit and other regions. Check out what you can on websites/Google maps/images. Have a great time.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arcsinice I am incredibly grateful for the lengths you have gone to in your replies. Your advice and help has been invaluable! I will be sure to check out Christy's and I will contact them before I arrive.

After much of yesterday spent reading various guides, reviews, reports etc. of each of the resorts - Summit County seems to provide a lot of what I'm looking for (which I will explain), so maybe a 60/40 split between there and Vail/Beaver might be in order. What I hope to get out of my North America trip is a vast improvement in my off piste skiing. From what I have read, and I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong, the on piste skiing in the Alps (groomed pistes) is quite a bit better than North America in terms of steepness and challenge, but where NA really comes into it's own is the inbounds deep stuff that you don't get in Europe. I dabbled in a little bit of off piste in Val d'Isere this year, but without the right guiding, equipment etc. it was very limited. In NA, I don't have to worry about avalanche equipment once I'm in bounds so can really start to play in the powder. All conditions dependent of course!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conor90 wrote:
In NA, I don't have to worry about avalanche equipment once I'm in bounds so can really start to play in the powder

Hmm, not sure I would take that view; when in NA even in bounds but way off the beaten track I would never consider going out without shovel, probe and (especially) beacon

Whilst Ski Patrol do a great job I don't ever believe that they can say that nothing will ever happen to you off-piste

Just my, perhaps rather conservative, opinion. Other opinions are available
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dsoutar wrote:
... Hmm, not sure I would take that view; when in NA even in bounds but way off the beaten track I would never consider going out without shovel, probe and (especially) beacon ... Other opinions are available

Understood, and it's a good point to make about what is a personal choice.

However one reason I like North American resorts is that the risks of riding in-bounds off-piste alone are acceptable to me.

There may be data available to show if there's an on-trail/ off-trail difference in slide-risk, but I doubt it's significant because the definition doesn't make that much sense to most people. Everyone rides where it's good to ride.
I do know that the tree well risk in-bounds is significantly more than the slide risk. That you can't really handle at all on your own... which is why I don't ride trees off the trail.
latest report
CONOR..............

North American (West) piste can be, dependent upon face/route more than adequately steep. No one particular mountain etc., but the bigger joints do not disappoint here and there if someone wants the "diamond/double diamond" etc. bragging hoopla at day's end........... Beyond 38% slope no PistonBully (groomers) tend to roam. Most resorts shut down lift around 3:30/4 p.m. Pro patrol does its last sweep by 5:30 and have NO sense of humor if they ever find anyone lingering about!!!

DSOUTAR has it right.............

With the general exception of the West Coast which, in a big year such as last year, in bound avalanche worry is rare. You get out to the West Coast with its most common open faces and en suite cornices and even in bound potential slide are not to be taken lightly on blacks when a big dump is realized. In the Central Western states as long as anyone does not do something stupid - go where they should not go which tends to speak for itself, little problem. However........... If a series of large storm inundate the Rockies, you can bet that tons of loose avalanche control have taken place from early morning forward and throughout much of the day and serious "off limits" tape is posted.
Central West slides are typically loose slides as per the dominant dry snow and have caught many an ignorant back country/out of bounds hero. You hear about fatality in Colorady, Utah, Wyoming and Montana back country all the time. West Coast back country buccaneers tend to be a lot more careful.
West Coast slides can also be so-called "loose", but out there - and the skiing is utterly fantastic......., it's overwhelmingly slab and it ain't pretty when it releases. Either way, anyone with half a brain simply need to stay in bounds and let the heroics go to those who want to risk getting a set of wings and a harp. I do all I can to avoid getting mine. Save the heroics for post ski moments when you're tucking into some decent Texas Style bar-b-que and washing it down with ice cold Pabst Blue Ribbon and recounting your relatives contribution in the Battle of Trafalgar before some doe eyed American cutie who is star struck with you and take it from there............................
Given the time you will spend in NA I'd approximate that you'll get your fair share of off piste experience and then some and find yourself not complaining by the time you're flying home.

When you are over in Vail/Beaver Creek, you should find that if you hit a period of storm, entre nous......., midweek, Beaver Creek is the better choice. Few by comparison understand Beaver Creek. Everyone is over at Vail and they all hop over to the backside (Bowls) which get chopped to ribbons. Guess where the "idiots" don't go.............?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 19-10-17 22:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
conor90 wrote:
I

TQA the reviews seem good, unless I'm missing something. I've stayed in lots of bad hostels in my time, this seems luxurious in comparison.
!

My bad.

Recent reviews are much better looks like major makeover and new management. Prices up though.
snow report
Quote:

Whilst Ski Patrol do a great job I don't ever believe that they can say that nothing will ever happen to you off-piste

That is true. Read the back of most north American ski resort lift passes - it quite clearly states you are responsible for any injuries and removes liability from the resort. However, inbounds slide is not something I would worry about. Look at the stats and you will see its so unlikely. Ski patrol tend to air on the side of caution not opening lifts/areas if there is any perceived risk at all. Off the beaten path areas of north american resorts don't really exist. Sure, there are less skied areas, but the locals and patrol will always have a name for that run. Tree wells should be a far bigger concern.
latest report
TQA,

Your bad what? Puzzled
ski holidays
Some good tips already. Especially Sun Valley if there's decent coverage, is a great mountain. You can easily spend all day over on Seattle Ridge on a powder day and not get board. It's not that far from SLC. If conditions are good, then Sun Valley is a great mountain to hit. The town of Ketchum is quaint, and the food is awesome.

I'd skip Portland too. And Bachelor is a great mountain, as is the town of Bend. If you like beer, then Bend is a great beer town to explore. It depends on how much time you want to spend driving. You could even hit up Mt Hood Meadows for some skiing on your way to Seattle. All depends on what's going down when you are on your ski safari. Having some flexibility always helps on a ski safari.

I spent 20 years living in Seattle. Awesome town. It has it's issues with traffic and the homeless but if you like seafood, it's hard to beat. Just tons of very good restaurants. If time permits while in Seattle, there's a little mountain just South about 1 hour and 45 minutes known as Crystal Mountain. If you have someone that knows it, then they can probably show you the goods. And the goods are out of this world when the conditions are good too. (Yes, I know, stating the obvious.) For sure on a weekday, Crystal is not busy and a fun place to explore, especially with a short hike to some fantastic terrain through the backcountry gates. Or if you want a shorter drive, you can hit up Alpental right off I-90. Again all dependent on conditions, and if you are in the mood to ski.

Never had an issue crossing the Canadian border. They always seemed nice enough.

I would also consider a stop at Aspen/Snowmass while in CO as you drive through Glenwood Canyon. Aspen Highlands is a great little mountain. If you want to get some exercise, you can go for a short little hike and ski Highlands Bowl. The locals will smile as they blow by you as you suck wind at 12,000 feet, but it's got a good vibe, and I've always had a great time skiing there.

I know you are talking Epic Pass, and some of the mountains being thrown out are Mountain Collective, but when it's good, it's tough to not want to hit a place that's getting hammered with snow.

CO is one of those big states with lots of ski resorts, that can get all sorts of different storm set ups. Out of the West, NW, SW, and every degree in between. As they say, "Mountain weather is local.' BC can get dumped on, and a few miles to the East Vail is getting a light dusting, and vice versa. Snowmass might get hammered, and Aspen is getting snow flurries.

Wherever you end up, I hope you get some great conditions while you are out in January.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
...Tree wells should be a far bigger concern.

conor90, if you've never skied NA before, the significance of boarder2020's comment might have passed you by. Tree wells account for about 20% of ski/snowboard deaths over there and tests have shown that 90% of people who fall into one can't get out of a well alone. If you fall into one, you will be dead in 15 minutes unless someone finds you.

Only a fool skies through the trees without a buddy. Don't ever be tempted to do one last run of the day through the trees while your partner heads off to buy beers - it could easily be the last thing that you ever do. An make sure you read up about the dangers and how to stay safe before you go.

Lecture over!
snow report
Jonny Jones wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:
...Tree wells should be a far bigger concern.

conor90, if you've never skied NA before, the significance of boarder2020's comment might have passed you by. Tree wells account for about 20% of ski/snowboard deaths over there and tests have shown that 90% of people who fall into one can't get out of a well alone. If you fall into one, you will be dead in 15 minutes unless someone finds you.

Only a fool skies through the trees without a buddy. Don't ever be tempted to do one last run of the day through the trees while your partner heads off to buy beers - it could easily be the last thing that you ever do. An make sure you read up about the dangers and how to stay safe before you go.

Lecture over!

Another thread on the west coast, another tree well discussion. But it is important so will chip in...
As one of the lucky 10% I guess, I can confirm this, but also think to some extent the ski with a buddy thing is BS to make you feel better about the whole thing, especially if you're the one at the back. If you are not skiing the exact same line right after each other and stopping almost every few turns (if you're leading), almost no chance your ski buddy will notice that you've gone in a tree well, and even if they do very hard to a ) locate exactly which of the many trees you've gone in or b ) get back (as was the case for me).
Better approach is to avoid being in the tree well in the first place - know they are there, don't get too close, don't try and grab that last bit of pow by the tree, don't turn above it. Oh, and ski with a buddy, even with the above caveats, gives you a bit more of a chance and someone to call patrol
How I arrived in one was a comedy barrel roll to get out of a landing zone after a drop into deep pow and getting stuck, because I was worried about someone else sending it and landing on me! Didn't really consider my barrel roll line! doh! Other time was to avoid my ski buddy who had stopped right behind a tree (see above)! doh - at least in that case he was there to pull me back out!
ski holidays
While tree wells are the biggest risk, the number of deaths are still extremely low. Yes you should be cautious and know the basics. Personally, I don't think you need a "never ski trees alone" rule. Firstly as @johnnyjones says skiing with a partner is no guarantee of safety. Secondly, Its better to make an informed decision each run based on things like recent snow, how many people are around, tree spacing, terrain etc. A lot of NA skiers have a whistle attached to their jacket to use as a kind of SOS call, which is cheap and potentially useful, providing your head is not under snow.
snow report
There're already a lot of good advises which I had only scanned. But not sure the following has been mentioned...

Skis: Rent first, buy only after you tried a few.

Most shops will allowed some rental cost to be applied towards the purchase price. The key is you have to let them know that in advance.

Instead of going into the rental part of the store in the morning rush, go into the ski sales part of the store in the middle of the day (or evenings). Find a knowledgeable sales person and explain you're buying skis but want to "demo" a few before settling on the exact skis to BUY.

I'm assuming you already have your own boot. If not, THAT should be the first order of business!

p.s.

I wouldn't get all worked up about the inbound avi issues, period. Millions of Americans had skied inbound for a few decades. The inbound avi death rate is lower than European guided off-piste groups. Your chance of your car sliding off the side of road is higher than your chance of caught in inbound avalanche!
latest report
conor90 wrote:

I don't fancy forking out full price. I saw a place online called Powder7 that do ex demo skis, have you any experience with them?

Personally, I don't think you're in a position to score good valued used skis. Unless you get them and try them in the UK before leaving home...

Buying used are mostly for people who knows what they want/like. It's a lot more expensive to have to buy a second (or third) pair when the first one doesn't suit!
snow conditions
Trip looks good.

January will be cold, wherever you go.

Try and do Jackson Hole. Great skiing, good wildlife, and creamy snow.
ski holidays
I'm a bit late replying here but thanks for all the tips, really, they've been great! Especially on the tree wells, I had never heard of them.

Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, I won't be able to ski anywhere outside of the Epic Pass but I don't mind, I can always come back. And on budget constraints, the skis will need to be second hand. I've always skied rentals anyway so I don't think I'm going to notice all that much. I also have to buy boots, so costs will start racking up quickly - as they already have.
snow report
My opinions:

Based at Frisco, 5 resorts. Normally, around 2 weeks, if we get heavy snow, vail-pass at I-70 will get terrible traffic, especially at Sat. But if too heavy, Breck will better than Vail. Anyway, if you like, with a good road condition, drive to Vail or Beaver is easy, only 40 mins.
Right now, a little bit late to book rooms, but you could also stay at Dillon, or Silverthorne. No nightlife at Silverthorne.
Prepare for the altitude, all towns are at above 2700m.
Summit stage gives you free shuttle bus to breck, Keystone, A-basin. http://www.summitcountyco.gov/586/Transit-Summit-Stage

I will count another 5 days combine with Beaver Creek, Vail and Park City, depends the snow forecast.
It's not too difficult to find a room at weekday around Avon, for Beaver & Vail.
For Park City, could stay at SLC, only 30 mis drive, road condition is always good.

For budget, you could stay longer at Utah, or CO. Just fly from SLC to YVR. Even drive back to DEN, fly from DEN to YVR. In the winter, driving pass a lot of ski resorts is a really painful trip, Smile
(We will do a trip from SLC to CO one month and back to SLC this winter.)

For new gear, could check www.evo.com. They have a store at DEN, maybe you could order online (a lot of disscount) and pick up at this store. Just ask them, if it's possible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I apologize if I end up redundant here as I can't spend the time reading all the replies right now, but I did look at your post and consider it thoroughly, and here's what I can contribute:

1. You don't have to switch accommodations for Vail. Keystone, Araphoe, Breck and Vale (and also Copper, which is not on the Epic pass) are all easy to drive to from Frisco. I've spent a full 5 weeks in that area (in Wildernest) riding these resorts, and I've returned for a weekend last January as well, so trust me on this. The area is extremely easy to drive if you're used to European alpine resorts.
2. I would definitely spend more time in Breck and the area. Those are some of the best resorts I've ever been to with fantastic snow, services and parks. They are just a treat. I was not excited about Vale at all, it was the worst of the bunch in my view, but that's a matter of taste. If you are into freestyle, don't miss out on the Woodward facility in Copper.
3. I haven't been to Park City but I have been to nearby Snowbird. Great snow, same dry powder as in Colorado with less traffic, but SLC is a rather dull city, and the resorts there I found to be more old school (as evident by them having the last resort in the world forbidding snowboarders Mad ) - terrain is very steep, snowmaking is nonexistent and the feeling is that non-locals or at least those who aren't "hardcore" enough are welcome to pack their things and go elsewhere. So, not a fan of UT, really.
4. If I'm not mistaken the Epic pass includes some ski areas near lake Tahoe, and while snow there might not be as consistently good as the rockies, last season they did get poo-poo-tons of it, and the lake itself is fantastic. For a ski-cation on the west coast it seems like a major win win. I would even consider flying from Denver to Sacramento or something close to Tahoe and then renting a new car, saving you a lot of very boring and tough driving across the deserts, and maximizing your time on slopes.
5. Seattle is a fantastic city which I love dearly. The Oregon/Washington region also has some good snow, such as Mt Bachelor, which might interest you.
6. Colorado, Oregon, Washington and California all have something in common, which is the legal use and sale of a certain plant that in my opinion is a great supplement for a successful ski vacation. Helps relax sore muscles and cope with high altitudes. If you partake, do take advantage of said legal status but by all means DO NOT carry such merchandise across state borders, especially into UT. They may seem friendly but their prisons are not, so I'm told.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy