Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Fancy something different this year and wondering if anyone has skied in Norway / has any advice or recommendations?
Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@easyprojecthub, it would help if you gave some details about what you are looking for i.e., family holiday, offpiste, touring in the fjords, other activities etc
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're a family of 4 (kids will nearly be 12 & 9). Everyone can ski reasonably well.
It would be good to have a mixed holiday with skiing / boarding with a couple of 'new' activities.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like base jump or wingsuit or.....?
Hemsedal or Trysil are family places not large but ok for a week.
Have also a look at Åre in Sweden with good flights from UK through Norway.
Åre is the largest place in the north.

Self contained is very common on lodges or apartments.
Eating out can be costy- and bring along a bottle or two on you flight if you fancy a drink in the evening. Toofy Grin

You can find info on skistar.com for the places mentioned.

Cross country is a big thing in the north and you can feel realy out there but by careful - it' more outback than Alps. Skullie

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 14-10-17 15:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks - not quite sure I'm up for wingsuit, although it does look fun Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just wanted to trigger what you looked for.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For a family holiday the look into the places @Hyst mentions - search the forum as there are trip reports for most. Trysil is easily reached by transfer or car from Oslo. So are the Lillehammer resorts of Hafjall and Kvitfjell (I’d stay in Kvitfjell).

To Åre, Sweden you can fly to Östersund direct from Gatwick with EasyJet (but you missed the boat for any decent half term prices) or Trondheim with Norwegian.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easyprojecthub wrote:
We're a family of 4 (kids will nearly be 12 & 9). Everyone can ski reasonably well.
It would be good to have a mixed holiday with skiing / boarding with a couple of 'new' activities.

This is what we are aiming for - our children are 8 & 11 and again can ski reasonably, this is the first time we will be not booking them into lessons all week, so the idea of smaller areas / runs actually quite appeals.

We have booked flights to Oslo and a weeks self catering accommodation in Sälen via Skistar. With the lift pass we get a day in Tysil.

I am afraid I can't yet say how it is as we don't go until Feb half term.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A few reviews of Trysil about including one I did for last Easter.

But bear in mind it may not be great for the boarders as lots of drag lifts some very long. I think quite a few resorts there have a good proportion of these so they dont have to close in high winds. Maybe check each resort's ratio if thats an issue for you.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Other resorts you can look into are Norefjell and Geilo.

Visit Norway has a good article on ski resorts around Oslo.

When we do our family ski trip in Easter (kids are 2 and 7), we drive to Sälen in Sweden. There are a few more non-skiing things for the kids to do (bowling, pool (included in the skipass), and cinema) and everything is a little cheaper.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Buy your own booze at duty free.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've had a week skiing at Geilo. Easy transfer from Oslo by train (Geilo has its own station). The town is in the middle of a valley with skiing on both sides, there's a frequent ski shuttle bus linking the two sides.
Whilst I was there I had a day off from skiing and went by train to Myrdal, where you change platforms to take the Flam railway down to the village of Flam situated on a Fjord. It's a spectacular train ride, the steepest standard gauge railway in the world.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd say Are is you best bet for Scandinavia if you can all ski/board reasonably well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Spoon, how does Geilo compare to Sälen? We stayed in Lindvällen 3 years ago, and tbh found the skiing very limited. Mostly along one side on a hill, and little variety. We didn't get out to Tandådalen/Hundfjället, and attempts to ski to Högfjället were stymied by the wind, so I suspect we didn't get a decent feel for the area.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@mgrof

I have not skied in Gelio yet, but do have a trip planned for next February. It’s going to be with the kids so I’m not expecting to do that much skiing but I should be able to try every run.

I agree with you about the skiing in Lindvällen, Sälen. I personally find it a bit boring as the runs are too short but it’s great for skiing with the kids or for beginners.

It’s a shame you couldn’t try out Tandådalen and Hundfjället. They have a much better variety of runs and are a little longer.

When you take all parts of Sälen together, I think it’s a great resort that offers something for everyone. We have booked to go back for Easter 2018.
snow report
Geilo was fun but very small.
We were staying on the smaller side and only really 3 good runs on that side.
Few more on the other side of the valley, via ski bus, but lots of tbars so not really my idea of a rest between runs.
4hours out of Oslo if I remember right. We did it by train one year and that was easy other than timings to get back to the plane.
ski holidays
I have skied Trysil, Hemsedal and Geilo.
If you have skied before i would recommend Trysil, lots of good runs, snow parks and great accommodation. Take own booze. Supermarket on site. Book through ski star trysil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy