Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Well the Lecht was fun yesterday...

The snow they had was in great condition... eagle, falcon skied very well and fun.

Perfect bluebird day.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@MCL, @McKenzie, Let's hope we all have good snow and make the most of our time off 😁😁
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise, Glenshee is closer for me but Glencoe isn't too far
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

Good conditions at the Lecht today.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snow was fine at the Lecht today - just a pity the pomas kept breaking down.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Heavy snow starting to transform Glencoe. Their new snowfactory has also arrived on loan snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht-up

And the Lecht looking rather fine too Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WOW Shocked

http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If only the forecast was not for heavy rain and freezing level above the top lift for Sunday, and Monday. Best conditions for a while may be on Friday and Saturday, but upper pistes are not pisted yet. Absolutely fantastic conditions on Friday, and Saturday for beginners at any resort in Scotland open. Particularly likely to be good are Cairngorm, Glencoe, and the Lecht for beginners. It will be gone on Sunday, so take a Friday sickie!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loading my gear in the car. Getting to work really early. Gonna do all the poo-poo I got to do then head to the Coe for lunchtime! Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I despaired when I watched the BBC Weather for the Week Ahead last night. 12c over much of Scotland on Monday and likely to be the same most of the week as we'll be on a conveyor of mild and wet southwesterlies. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Five hours of exercise, for 15 minutes of fame! Definately worth it, conditions are great in Scotland and will be good on Saturday but busier. Pity that the weather forecast says CARPE DIEM!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glencoe was great fun today. Lapping from the top of the cliffy to the car park. Left work at 10, was on the slopes by 12.30, back in the office at 5.30. The perfect crime.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like Scotland's ski resorts will struggle to open over Xmas and NY.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Laughing
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Looks like Scotland's ski resorts will struggle to open over Xmas and NY.

...unless they get more snow, nobody knows, it's too far away to call.
snow conditions
January and February are always the best months in Scotland. March is unique, in that it is usually good too. December is often not good, but you can get freak conditions which last a short period.
ski holidays
@scotspikey, at 10am I was here having a water break and putting my ice spikes on my boots:

by 12.30pm I was walking down the hill as the wind was too high at the top for me to do it again. (I have done it 3x on a low wind perfect conditions day) I prefer perfect conditions, and sadly the wind was torture at the top (made my hands cold, and my nose drip). I tried out my instant hand warmers today for the first time, the ones that you heat up in a pot of hot water for 15 minutes and then click the metal tab to release the heat. You have no idea how good it was, 5 minutes after putting them in next to my numb fingers in my gortex mittens. I thought they felt really poor in terms of heat, but when your fingers are really numb they are just sufficient to thaw.

I did use my face mask this time, and this evening I benefit as my face feels like it has not been scrubbed with a high powered sander. Laughing
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, Love the pictures - without giving away your secret location Toofy Grin which part of Scotland?

edit - had another look, I think I know.
ski holidays
Glencoe think I saw him walking up
snow conditions
Glencoe think I saw him walking up
ski holidays
So glad I went on Friday. Almost makes me cry looking at the webcams now Sad
snow report
I agree, but there's some hope from boxing day onwards. I'm hoping for a day or two the first week of January.
snow report
Think of the early December snow as a pre-season bonus, with the real winter season starting at the beginning of January. Then it doesn't seem so bad!

Compared to last year I think we're still well ahead?
ski holidays
@McKenzie, @denfinella, I like your optimism. Cool

I am a pessimist. Crying or Very sad

Surely it has to be better that last year.........Right!!!!!!!!????????
snow report
Fabulous snow in the Borders today and cold. Shame I haven’t brought

my skis.
snow report
Anyone skiing here now? Lots of snow forecast. Would love an update from someone.
latest report
I was just a few miles south of Glenshee yesterday & there was no snow to speak of at all. Then drove south & there was much more to be seen when I passed Hillend & the hills I could see further south looked even more promising still.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The 6 day forecast suggests that the North West resorts of Glencoe and Nevis Range will get the most snow. About 30-40 cm cumulative over 6 days. Weather conditions will be sub zero above bottem lift all of the time. Longer term forecasts suggests it will get even colder after 6 days, so unlikely to see it melt very quickly after that.

Could be some optimism for mid January.
latest report
Morning all.
Unfortunately have not got time to do a yearly visit to the alps this year but we are still desperate to get even a days skiing in.

Looking at Glenshee as a Friday to Monday trip. Is it something you can plan with much success or do you really need to decide on the day depending on forecasts?

I’ve never looking into skiing in Scotland but after seeing some of those incredible views I just can’t want to go

Thanks.
Ian
ski holidays
@Ian_86, I usually decide 24-48 hours before to be honest, keep an eye on winterhighland and also the MWIS forecasts as you need snow! but also need to check the wind isn't going to shut down any lifts.
latest report
@Ian_86, Keep looking at all the resorts, other than Cairngorm (busy and badly managed) and the Lecht (journey time from down south). Nevis Range looking awesome and they are opening the top lift at Glencoe today. As kittenski says, keep your eye on the weather, watch for the wind and choose the day before. If you head west you can do both Nevis and Glencoe. Get ready for a hardcore skiing experience, the Alps it aint, but we love it!
latest report
@Ian_86, as the others have said for weather and conditions but I'd also wait until all/ most of the ski area at Glenshee is open- its a great place when it is and especially at weekends means much less time in queues.

If you need to book ahead you just need to think of it as a weekend up north where hopefully you'll do some skiing but maybe some mountain biking or hill walking instead or going to the pub if weather really bad! Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks very much for all the advice. It’s very helpful.
We around 7/8 hours drive away so a last minute thing is just a little bit of a struggle. I’m also a little worried about accommodation and availability if we are looking for somewhere a only a day before arriving.

In an ideal world we would really like to make the trip 9th - 12th of feb.
I’ll maybe wait another 2 weeks and see how it all looks.

I know it’s dependent on weather but when I’m general would you say the season starts and ends?

Thanks
Ian
latest report
No need to book in advance for accommodation - between glencoe and Nevis range there are hundreds of b&b's / hotels that will have space. Turn up and choose where you like the look of.
snow report
I'm sure you're aware of this, but just in case you're not, the 9th of February is the beginning of half term here so the ski-fields may be a bit busier.
ski holidays
@Ian_86, Travel lodge in Fort Williams allows cancellation the day before/the day of booking from memory....that would allow you to ski Glencoe or Nevis Range.
snow report
@Ian_86, if indeed you're going on February half term weekend, it'll likely be very busy. I'd probably avoid CairnGorm altogether and only consider going to the other centres if they've got the vast majority of their lifts open. All other things being equal, Nevis Range is usually the quietest at half term. But do you really have to go then?

Average season is December or January to sometime in April. Cairngorm and Glencoe tend to keep going the longest.
snow report
Quote:
Average season is December or January to sometime in April
...and (not infrequently) into May. We've skied Glencoe and Cairngorm at Whit Very Happy; and powder at Glencoe on May Day bank holiday...
snow report
its not every day that Glencoe has more skiing available than Espace Killy Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy