Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snow Reports 2017 / 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Small, Far away........

http://youtube.com/v/OXypyrutq_M
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nelly0168 wrote:

Not sure what you do for a living or what time off you get - but the lift systems can be a little "1970s" for those used to europe - so a cheeky wee midweek trip on a day off will be much more rewarding than queuing on a sunny saturday.
Skis - having your own equipment makes in cheaper.........but sometimes the runs can be a bit thin and your bases might take a pounding - there are plenty of hire places, but obviously that increases cost - your call

Midweek is always best if the weather is good and sun is shining. If the weather is good and sun is shining at the weekend, you will spend hours queueing for lifts. I tend to avoid weekends.

If you have an old pair of skis, which have been well used, and still useable, these are ideal for skiing in Scotland. It is not a good idea to take spanking new skis to Scottish pistes and expect them to remain spanking new condition. Not only is it cheaper to have your own skis in Scotland, it is much more time efficient. The queues for ski hire on weekends can be bigger than the queues to buy a ticket for the lifts. Never mind the actual lift queues themselves (on a good day at a weekend)

If you are in the army you get a midweek discount at Glencoe (not sure why this is the case, but if you take a few medals and an old army jacket maybe you will wing it)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Biggest ski area in Scotland is Glenshee 21 lifts and 36km runs way bigger than Cairngorm the second biggest which has 11 lifts and 32kms. Glencoe is closest to main centre of population of Greater Glasgow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frequent user of Glenshee which is closest to me, but also has a wide variety of terrain. When it's all open, it can absorb bigger crowds than anywhere else due to the number of lifts from the road side, and how they take people off to other areas (so not returning to the start). That's a big if. In restricted conditions (less snow cover) then queues can develop at pinch points. They are doing a great job at increasing uplift - two new chairs in recent years plus a third in the pipeline (this in the middle valley will make a big difference). And the staff have a great attitude that helps keep things moving even in long queue days.
For hiring at Glenshee, don't drive all the way there before stopping. You can get hire at Blairgowrie or Bridge of Cally on the way up, and my favourite is a wee place at Blackwater where I never seem to meet long queues but have decent equipment at a decent price. You'll see road-side signs on the way up just before you get there - left hand side of the A93 about a mile South of the turnoff for the B950 to Kirkmichael.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or even better, rent in Edinburgh the day before to allow you to head straight for the slopes to maximise the use of the limited daylight hours.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@McKenzie, this is good advice, I used to rent from the Glasgow dry slope the night before in my pre ski owning days. I learnt the hard way spending a morning queuing at the Nevis Range for some ill fitting boots. Never again!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the info all, have my own kit so hire queues won't be an issue, however the risk to my bases could be! perhaps i'll invest in a set of domestic use skis, i suppose that gives me a good excuse to find out if the decathlon ski's are any good despite their low price!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glencoe = steepest onpiste.
Nevis = steepest offpiste.
Cairngorm = reliablest snow.
Glenshee = most lifts.
Lecht = good for beginners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Glencoe = steepest onpiste.
Nevis = steepest offpiste.
Cairngorm = reliablest snow.
Glenshee = most lifts.
Lecht = good for beginners.

Nice summary!
Maybe also Lecht = needs least amount of snowfall to enable skiing (due to lack of rocks etc)?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiable vertical is interesting when comparing ski areas (lowest lift start to highest lift stop) - Cairngorm offers 510m, Glenshee only 275m. That max elevation of 1150 against 915 and not far off double the vertical is why I would go Cairngorm ahead of Glenshee plus the large plateau area at height at Cairngorm makes it much more snowsure to at least get some skiing in.
Glencoe has an impressive 700m vertical when the run to the bottom is skiable (does happen), a thigh melter if it's on.
Nevis goes slightly higher than Cairngorm and has similar vertical but doesn't get as cold weather so is more fickle but starting at a low forest level and riding a comfy gondola up is quite nice.
Agree Lecht is great for beginnners.

Each has its own up and downs and all are fairly marginal tbh but on their day can be very good. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi point at Glenshee is 1035m (glas moal) not 915m. Cairngorm is a quarry compared to Glenshee Laughing
Glenshee also has twice as many lifts, a lot more skiing, a lot less hassle and is cheaper and nearer to many Scots, than Cairngorm.

I agree though that they all have their strengths and on the right day are at least as much fun as the best of the alps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@MountainIdiot, said
Quote:

Well, looks like I might be relocating from London up to Edinburgh, I’ve always wanted to give domestic skiing a go, (and wanted to be in driving distance of mountains even more!) what would be the *best* skiing option from Edinburgh? Not necessarily the closest, am used to reds/blacks in the alps, an extra hours drive or so is no problem at all. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere!

Another thing to seriously consider is getting into ski-touring - this opens up endless possibilities in the Scottish mountains and removes the limitations of the lift-served ski areas.

If you're an outdoor type who enjoys being in the hills when there's no snow, you can extend this to the winter/spring months too - some of the best times can be in March/April with longer days, stable conditions & great snow on the tops

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The outlook from the Mountain Weather Information Service...

"Indications for the later part of November favour generally cold conditions dominating, with further snowfalls possible."

A repeat of last year or the start of an epic season?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^ Why an epic season of course Very Happy ...He says as he continues the snow dance.... wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just spotted this on the Glencoe webcam Cool

snow conditions
Looks like Cairngorm was blowing snow today (for a test).
ski holidays
Met office snow warning just issued covering all the ski areas for Thursday. Hopefully base starts building.
latest report
This link is for the weather station at the summit of Cairngorm, it started as a research project I think in the 70's by Heriot Watt University and is a useful insight in to the extreme conditions they can get up there. http://cairngormweather.eps.hw.ac.uk

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 21-11-17 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Very warm in Scotland at the moment.

With the unfrozen ground and hot weather, doubt much will be open before Christmas.
snow report
Quote:
Very warm in Scotland at the moment. With the unfrozen ground and hot weather, doubt much will be open before Christmas.
Just like the Alps, or anywhere else, the situation in Scotland can change in the space of a few days.

There may or not be skiing by Christmas - but it's too early to determine that on the 21st of November... rolling eyes
latest report
On Sunday I was out with the children skimming stones across frozen ponds; back to shorts for walking the dog today. Cold again by the end of week I believe, so here's hoping.
ski holidays
I do not remember a forecast like this last year. Could be some piste bashers out by early December.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Cairngorm/6day/mid

Most snow is forecast for Cairngorm (32cm over 6 days), then Nevis range (23cm over 6 days), followed by Glencoe (18cm) then Glenshee. (16cm)

However, most importantly is the low temperatures which will ensure it provides a base and does not turn to rain and wash it all away like the last lot of snow.
snow report
Local hill today in Scotland

I climbed up as the wind was low and the sun was out. The snow level is still too low to take my skis, but the forecast suggests it is likely to improve over the next week. You do not need skins on the local hill, but you need boots with good grips and probably ice grips. Some people on the hill today made it to the top, but I do not know if they made it back down as they kept slipping on their backside because they were wearing trainers. (the four men in the photo behind the cross, definately Scottish and probably from Glasgow)

For those following another thread on spf protection, I wore factor 50 Ambre solaire kids on my face and some lip balm from Aldi. When I got to the top I wished I had my face mask as my nose started dripping and the wind made my face cold. I got back home, and put the heating on. It has now reached 25C at 8pm and so I can turn one heater off. My fingers were bizarrely devoid of blood for a long period after climbing the hill. After washing the dishes they seemed to perk up a bit.

Laughing
snow conditions
@Bigtipper, awesome. What hill is that?
snow report
@scotspikey, it's not a munro so most people don't bother. It is the one with snow on it!
snow conditions
Ben Ledi?
latest report
+1 for midweek. Which did seem to include Friday in years gone by but may not now. You get SO MUCH MORE SKIING done.
Used to live in Edinburgh. One of the many frustrations I had with Glenshee for example was you could not buy a multi day pass. So even if you wanted to ski Friday/ Sunday or Saturday-Sunday without queuing each day for a ticket you couldn’t . Meant we didn’t go as much as I might have imagined. Sad
Hope that’s changed.
ski holidays
Monday night is expecting a reasonable snowfall. Still no sign of it all melting in the next week, should be a good start to December.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lowther Hills Ski Club in southern Scotland plans to open its slopes to members this evening after fresh snow overnight.

From Twitter:

Good morning from Scotland's Highest Villages. We are expecting more snow today. Volunteers urgently needed after 1pm to set up the nursery slope. Expecting to open tonight for members only. If you can help, please get in touch with Anjo at skiclub@lowtherhills.com
latest report
^^^^Am I correct in thinking that that's the nursery slope on the golf course - ie not the slopes at altitude?

Can anybody advise on whether there is likely to be enough snow higher up for a bit of a skin up and a few turns??
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Lowther Hills Ski Club in southern Scotland plans to open its slopes to members this evening after fresh snow overnight.

We did, and will be open tomorrow too Happy

mountainaddict, yes, the nursery slopes are on the golf course in Leadhills. The snow was lovely today, about 6 inches deep, and quite dry. I was up there with Anjo setting up the tows and floodlights ...

http://rossofmoffat.com/albums/lowther-hills-ski-club/order_by:published_on/year:2017/month:11/day:24/

Celebrating getting a portable tow running (they're a bit fickle) ...

Floodlit pistes ...

I wouldn't worry about Lowther Hill though. You could skin up and ski just about anywhere in the SW of Scotland. These were the Moffat Hills close to my house this afternoon ...

latest report
^^^ WOW! That's brilliant moffatross! Just the response I was after - ta for that!

Trouble is, we don't know the area rolling eyes...Just looking for anywhere at all that we can go skiing on Sunday!

I'll be away most of the day tomorrow (home about 8pm) - & was considering driving part way to the Highlands after that (say Perth) to ski tour at Cairngorm or Glencoe...

However, Lowther Hill would be 2.5 hrs from home vs (say) 4.5hrs to Aviemore.

The OS map on the Lowther Hills ski club website makes it look like we couldn't really go wrong Shocked ....So could well be making our first visit there on Sunday Very Happy - it's a mere pop vs a trip to the Highlands!
snow conditions
http://www.winterhighland.info/cams/glencoe/

Wintry.
latest report
Breaking news!

Glencoe is opening for skiing tomorrow, after wet snow overnight which must have helped firm up the base. Lower mountain only (Plateau & Coire Pollach buttons) but it's apparently their earliest season start in (at least) recent memory Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/GlencoeMountain/posts/1954754517885653

The piste basher has also been out at The Lecht, so a second opening mightn't be too far away.
ski holidays
The top lift looks fairly deep as well, so guess we just need "the middle" filling in at Glencoe Smile

Didn't make it there last season, hoping for a few more trips this season!

latest report
@kitenski, @moffatross, Wow, that looks great snowHead Must only be about an hour from me now. Not an area which I know at all - but I'd like to get to know it. As soon as I've emerged from the chaos that is currently my new abode... Now, to E Bay for one set of turf-hopper skis and a similar board for Mr G...
Here's hoping for many enjoyable trips over the birder this year Smile (or even border)
snow conditions
It's officially Winter ! ----- Snow Gates closed wink

"....All Routes A939 Cockbridge to Tomintoul - Snow gate closure
Last Updated: 27 Nov 17, 21:52

Title: A939 Cock Bridge and Tomintoul Snow Gates
Start Time: 27 Nov 2017 - 21:52
Type: Snow gate closure
Route Name: All Routes
Direction: Both Directions
Description: The A939 is closed at the snow gates between Cock Bridge and Tomintoul due to adverse weather conditions.
Expected Duration: Unknown at Present ......"
latest report
@albob, Very Happy

Got my skis down from the loft in the hope that Saturday might be a possibility for the Lecht.

Just trying to work out if skiing will hurt more or less than walking with a broken small toe! I'm currently lurching rolling eyes
ski holidays
Once your boots are on you will be fine (getting the boots on may be a different matter...)
snow report
Couple Tylenol and yall good.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy