Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1600 - skipass and other questions. Please help

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to be a newbie bore, but couldn't find the answers.

Looking at booking overnight Eurostar in Jan and therefore keeping it simple and staying in Les arcs 1600.

We arrive around 7am. Firstly is there a lift pass office at the station or should we pre-order. Also online it says 1/2 day free skiing the afternoon before your pass starts. So should we start our pass a day late and have a free half day? What time does it start? 12? As by the time we've got up in the funicular. Dumped bags. Changed. Hired boots and skis and got a coffee, it's not going to be far off.

Obviously this means the funicular will not be free, but around €5. Still cheaper than the €35 the extra day will cost.

Secondly does the area pass cover any days across in La Plagne? As from 1600 we may only do a couple over there.

Lastly boring hotel option of La Cachette, but it's easy and good value for the 2 of us. Self catering would be an option any suggestions? Or other value for money hotels (hotel cost for a week for 2 €840 half board)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did this a few years ago - are you sure it is 7am? We got in much closer to 6am and had time to get changed and repack bags at the station and were still hanging around for the first cafe to open for breakfast at 7am. We bought lift passes at the funi (just across the bridge from the station) and got the 8:20 funi up to 1600. Because we were staying in Montchavin we then had to wait till 9am for the other lifts to open so we could ski across to our chalet and dump our bags. Despite all this phaffing and waiting we were still back out skiing again sans baggage before 10:30 in the morning. I just mention all this because I just wonder if you will really need till midday to sort everything out - it's quiet on a Saturday morning, so you don't have to queue lots (once they are open!).

I am not sure what time the pass starts the day before but I have a feeling it is more like 2pm than midday... but not sure where I got that from.

However, for the first and last Saturday you can get a discounted pass for those days - see https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.ski/en/samedi-je-skie. They are only valid for one side of the domain (i.e. Les Arcs in your case). These have to be pre-booked.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lucywuk, The half day pass starts at 13:00.

Personally I would buy the 8 day pass on the internet (assuming you are going home on the Saturday night train) and be done with it. And yes you can get them at the funicular station but IIRC there is currently a non trivial discount if you buy online before the end of the month.

Though I would always prefer self catering over a hotel, €840 half board for 2 sounds about right. A evening meal out in 1600 for 2 costs about €80 with apperatif, starters, wine, a main course, brandy and coffee. A quick search on the resort web site shows 2 person apartment from about €300

If the hotel doesn't allow you to leave your bags on the day you arrive and leave then the laundry has a bag drop facility
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We did this a couple of years ago (the last year of the sleeper train) - we were on the family pass, but iirc we still did the samedijeski for start and end days (ie 6 days pass) as it worked out cheaper for us. I seem to remember we had to buy the last Saturday one while we were there online as you couldn't book more than a week ahead (that sounds odd now I type it, maybe I was just disorganized), but it was no problem. We'll be doing similar again this year for Easter, though flying and staying in a hotel nearby Friday night.

For accommodation, it'll be the third time in the roc belle face self catering - it works well for us as with three teenagers we can get a two room + cabin rather than a three room which is cheaper, and it's just across from the funi. They have a luggage room by reception you can drop stuff in when you get there, so last time, we were in the ski hire place by 8.30, and on the slopes by 9.30. Similarly on the last day, all the bags get left and a normal days start to the skiing, wrapping up whenever you need to leave. I always recommend the place.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pejoli, no , you are correct - the SamediJeSki passes come out on the Wednesday before the Saturday you want to use them. IIRC now though, they do take the QR code off your mobile phone rather than insisting on a print out, so not too much of an issue to get you act togheter for the second of the two Saturdays.
And, as above, it does cover your Funi price too: €7

TBH we've never found the 'extra' half day's skiing worthwhile booking the extra day for, while there is this very well priced Saturday discount on offer at each end of your trip.
Except of course that SjS [edit] just seen @Gämsbock make the same point does not cover all Paradiski, merely the side you are on - so if for example your last day is to include a last minute dash over to La Plagne, itsanogood.

Any ticket of 6 days+ includes one day in La Plagne. You can get a day's upgrade as well if you fancy a second day over there during the week - buy at the Peisey ski school/pass office: the building behind the Peisey lift. 5 mins walk from the Vanoise.
We reckon if you want more than 2 days over that side in any given week, then you've booked the wrong resort...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arctic Roll,
Quote:

if you want more than 2 days over that side in any given week, then you've booked the wrong resort...

Yep Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes and no. Blame my husband.
We've skied at la plagne twice and we stayed in montchavin once when it was too sping like but loved les arcs skiing. A few years ago we stayed in plagne centre and loved both areas.

How much is it to upgrade for a second day??
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lucywuk, personally I think you've chosen to stay the right side of Paradiski.
Only 34 euros each extra for a full Paradiski 6 day pass, compared with Les Arcs only. Well worth that for the flexibility I think.
We've stayed at La Cachette 3 times and found it very good each time. Food has always been a highlight. It did change hands to Belambra hotel group a couple of years ago but customer reviews still generally very good.
Don't be put off by first impressions when you arrive at the hotel. The ground floor road entrance and corridor is grotty...but it gets much better after that.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually I think I have found the answer €30 to upgrade And €30 for Saturday specials. Currently 10% discount for all lift passes

Paridiski is €343 pp for 8 days
Les arcs is €238.50 pp for 6 days + 2 x specials and 1 extra day in la plagne = €328.50 pp
€14.50 saving a person for a lot of faffing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boredsurfin, hoho - it works both ways of course - you book accommodation in La Plagne and want to spend 2+ days in Arcs? daft.

@Lucywuk, fairy nuff - although your calculation presumes you are going to go over to LP twice or more - see previous comment. The "6 + 2 1/2" is cheaper even if you do go twice, but substantially so if you only go once.

However it is, as with all things snowHead , what works best for you. Frankly, you'll enjoy it with whatever pass you go for!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How much is it to upgrade for a second day??

A fortune!

The Discover pass gives you a day there, but if you want to add a second day it will be a lot. Fell for that once

If you want to go a couple of days get the full Paradaski pass
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Boris, there is no such thing as a Discovery pass anymore. All Arcs passes of 6+ include one day in LP.
And, as further up the thread, a 2nd day is €30.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lucywuk wrote:
....€14.50 saving a person for a lot of faffing.

Agreed. With the 6 + 2 x 1/2 + ext option you have to remember to take the correct pass each day, and to order the 2nd Saturday pass mid-week etc.

With the 8 day Paradiski pass you have the freedom to go to La Plagne more often, e.g. if the snow is better, or you find a restaurant you want to return to, or if you meet up with other people and want to ski with them in a group. We often go out each day with only a vague plan of where we are going, and based on the prices above would always choose the Paradiski pass for the added flexibility. Even at Arc 1600 you are only 2 lifts / pistes from the Vanoise Express.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We tend to travel around a lot during a days skiing. One year we attempted the la plagne/les arcs challenge. E.g. Every village and both glaciers. We only failed as the last run down to villeroger was closed due to bad snow.

Often we used the vanoise express as a lunch stop to eat a sandwich.

I think the savings are not worth the hassle.

Now to book 😊
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lucywuk, If you like a challenge we did this a few years ago .. (Flippin 'eck nearly 10 years ago!)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=41171
snow report
We did that challenge about 11 years ago. Nearly killed us. Think we will give it a miss. But love not repeating a slope in one day!!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy