Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help picking a resort for January

Poster: A snowHead
First- sorry I know this is done to death but I don't even have a jumping off point to search and wanted to start a new conversation anyway

I'm looking to book a holiday in January for a group of friends, of mixed abilities (beginner to expert), 20's, not too dear (not looking at Switzerland or Scandi), preferably with some good off piste options for a guided morning (a la val d) if conditions allow, but also somewhere that's beginner friendly to encourage some first timers, and with good apres ski!

Austria isn't ideal because I live six hours from there but any suggestions welcome please!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chamonix might suit, especially if your 'experts' are truly that. The Les Houches area is great for learning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpe D’Huez? Good for beoginners. Off piste good and not hammered. Wide variety of pistes. South facing.slopes. High.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 17-10-17 20:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Arcs
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike, have Chamonix on the list but think the ease (or lack thereof) of getting around is too much of an issue

@achilles, sounds good, haven't been to AdH or Les Arcs - @Old Fartbag, would either of you have opinion of one over the other?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpe dH would be my suggestion. Lots of mixed levels going up the mountain and always the nice v long black round the back of the mountain (La Sarenne IIRC) into the resort. Loads of greens and blues near the resort itself.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MikeM, thanks, do you know what the off piste is like, any good guides there etc? Also is it less expensive than Val d'/Cham?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How about Les Deux Alpes. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/resort-guides/Ski-Les-Deux-Alpes-resort-guide/

Covers most bases...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ADH has some great off piste.

Guides here

But Paradiski is also an excellent option.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@moseyp, We had almost exactly the same group as you are describing. We (well I, as I have organised it) have gone for La Plagne.

Great areas for beginners. Vast terrain to cover for the high milers. Some decent bars about. Pretty reliable snow cover. Wooded areas if there is bad weather.

3 levels of pass I believe. The whole Paradiski (linked with Les Arcs), La Plagne but with a day over in Les Arcs and just La Plagne.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp, when we had your criteria we chose Tignes, and it was f**king awesome. You've been to Val D so maybe not what you want. AdH was really good too, Les Arcs was ok (though the apres for either was pants). Being totally honest, Saalbach or Solden would be your best bet if tignes isn't.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TopGooner, I love LDA, it's on my list!

thanks @Layne

@Fridge03, Both sound good, especially as I haven't been there

@Gainz, Val d is actually top of my list but one friend has been there so many times he's not eager. I don't like Tignes I'm afraid, the lack of trees kills it for me! Austria is a bit of a pain for me to drive to, at the moment AdH or Les Arcs are looking most appealing

What about Sestriere/Sauze??
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moseyp wrote:
@MikeM, thanks, do you know what the off piste is like, any good guides there etc? Also is it less expensive than Val d'/Cham?

Some time since I was last there but had some good off piste and at the time was much cheaper than Chamonix and Val d (prefer Tignes to Val personally)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moseyp wrote:
I don't like Tignes I'm afraid, the lack of trees kills it for me!

There is quite a lot of tree skiing in Paradiski - one of the reasons I rate it so highly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Layne, Great I like that sound of that. I don't like skiing anywhere without an abundance of trees
ski holidays
La Plagne is a really good shout. It's not the greatest when it comes to apres but there are a few decent bars.

There or Alpe d'Huez would be the best choice for a mixed ability group.
ski holidays
@moseyp, France is going to be the most expensive of the lot IMHO, you say you are 6 hours from Austria, are you wanting to drive somewhere??

Austria you really need to try St Anton or Ischgl, or in Italy you could try Champoluc
latest report
@kitenski, it's just that Austria isn't really a choice because I don't want to have to drive more than three hours or thereabouts

Italy would be ideal but I can't think of anywhere Val d - esque. Champoluc is too dead at night, but any other suggestions? What about the Milky Way resorts?
snow conditions
moseyp wrote:
@telford_mike, have Chamonix on the list but think the ease (or lack thereof) of getting around is too much of an issue

@achilles, sounds good, haven't been to AdH or Les Arcs - @Old Fartbag, would either of you have opinion of one over the other?

I haven't been to AdH, so cannot compare the two....FWIW. I didn't like L2A

In Les Arcs, I have stayed at 1800 (Golf Hotel and S/C) and 1950..it has access to a large area, 2 Glaciers, a big variety of terrain and skiing in trees when the weather turns bad. I prefer it to La Plagne, but both give access to the same skiing...so the decision may depend on what pass you wish to get and how much ground you want to cover - as IMO. The Piste skiing on the Les Arcs side is more interesting.
snow conditions
@moseyp, where are you driving from? What about Cervinia?
snow report
@Old Fartbag, thanks

@kitenski, from Aosta but Cervinia (or anywhere in the valley) doesn't fit our criteria. Maybe Courmayeur but the snow was so bad there last year I'd prefer to go somewhere higher that's why I've been looking at France

At the moment Paradiski seems the best, but also looking at Sauze/Sestriere - any comparisons there?

Should I put Serre Chevalier into the mix? Don't really know anything about it
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy