Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Grand Bornand, La Clusaz, Aravis Resorts 2017 - 2018

Poster: A snowHead
The Grand Bornand App says roads cleared but chains recommended in resort - which to me means side roads may still be snow covered. I guess it depends how remote your accommodation is.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @MazDave, It is a little I think. For those who may be in the know its Route du Crêt du Merle
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Renry, all roads are fine at present, so your instincts are right.
Best source of updates? Chamonix Meteo's daily weather report mentions roads, available in English on line - or this thread wink !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You might be needing chains for the Route du Crêt du Merle itself but it's main, ploughed roads all the way up until you turn off. Mind you, people were putting on chains down the valley in Entremont before Christmas !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How are La Clusaz and LGB holding up with the recent rain / warmer weather?

Looking at the forecasts there could be a rather nice 100 - 150 cm on its way in the next week, hopefully that will cover up and patches and soften up the pistes a bit Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Covered LGB today, all pistes in good nick, a little hard/icy in places. OP, 10cms of fluffy on an icy base, the ‘freeride’ area was bloody great (north facing)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey LGB crew? How is 2018 treating you all. Headed to Austria for a change of scenery this year, just wanted to wish all well and bon ski for the rest of the year!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@B1g_browner,
Hi!
Lovely week 6th - 13th Jan but last couple of days conditions a bit miserable so haven't ventured out. Looking forward to tomorrow and the return of the sun! Hope you have a good time in Austria.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello all.

What are conditions like in La Clusaz at present ?

I am heading out for a quick weekend skiing on Friday Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice....anyway they are at LGB down the road. Massive base, pistes were a bit bullet proof 2 days ago after the rain but softened up nicely yesterday after two days of sun. Off piste anywhere below 2000m is "interesting" massive heavy rain affected crust....but maybe a light dusting tomorrow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gvj wrote:
Nice....anyway they are at LGB down the road. Massive base, pistes were a bit bullet proof 2 days ago after the rain but softened up nicely yesterday after two days of sun. Off piste anywhere below 2000m is "interesting" massive heavy rain affected crust....but maybe a light dusting tomorrow.

Thanks for the info., planning to work on my sons carving so won't be venturing off piste. Bullet proof pistes may be a good thing for that....

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 25-01-18 14:48; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi. Can any regular visitors to La Clusaz recommend on the mountain restaurants that have Gluten Free options on their menus?
Thank you
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PG1972, hi, welcome to snowheads.
Can't offer a restaurant that I know of but polenta is a very popular menu option 'round these parts, should be ok??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from a fantastic L/W in LGB.

Stayed in the Hotel Vermont which was lovely.

Snow was perfect, weather ditto and the food, ambiance and friendliness was a real eye-opener for anyone used to the French mega-resorts.

Had a day in La Clusaz but we weren't so keen on that
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@red 27,
Glad it worked out well for you and you enjoyed your time in lgb.
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Just back from a fantastic L/W in LGB.

Stayed in the Hotel Vermont which was lovely.

Snow was perfect, weather ditto and the food, ambiance and friendliness was a real eye-opener for anyone used to the French mega-resorts.

Had a day in La Clusaz but we weren't so keen on that

I skied both for the first time at the weekend too. I loved them both, probably La Clusaz more because of the bigger area. Very French, very lovely.
snow conditions
We are in La Clusaz half term week (11th) The kids love going to the small snow parks with small kickers snd box rails to ride. Is they anything like that in La Clusaz?
ski holidays
Also I know night skiing is every night in Manigod but on what piste/night can this be done in La Clusaz
ski holidays
@Renry, can you let me know what the ruade piste would be like for a nervous intermediate who doesn't like steep? We're staying near the top of it in march, and I can't find any videos on YouTube. French blues can sometimes be on the challenging side for me.
snow conditions
@Renry, @Rcav, I normally ski at LGB but, as it happens, we'll be over in La Clusaz later this week. However, to try and answer your questions at this stage.......I think the snowpark on Cret de Loup has jumps and rails ranging from the very small to the terrifying. I'll keep my eye open for any other smaller children's parks and let you know. Night skiing - the big thing in La Clusaz is "full moon skiing". Obviously this is every four weeks or so and depends on clear skys - the one just gone was cancelled due to cloud cover. Tourist info and or their website should have more info to see if your dates coincide.

Ruade piste - pull up a piste map for the following but it is a little deceptive. As I recall, that whole area under the Cret du Merle lift is like a big sloping ski field above the village, so you can take it as gently as you like. As you get down near the main village the piste does funnel through a tunnel under the road and then there's a slightly steeper last section down to the front de neige and double gondola station. If you don't like the sound of that you can traverse skiier's right on the Bossonet piste to avoid the tunnel etc and take the new lift of the same name back up. Or you can avoit the tunnel again by taking the very short Patinoire gondola down to access the other gondola that will take you to some very gentle runs up on the Massif de Beauregard.
Hope that helps, I'll update later in the week if I learn more.
snow report
Thank you. @gvj,

@Rcav,
Our chalet is also above the Ruade piste. It’s reported as a ski to door chalet so should be almost straight onto it 😜
snow report
Did ski La Clusaz this week but the visibility was pants so I didn't learn any more than mentioned above, sorry.

On a sadder note, one of the La Clusaz pisteurs lost his life whilst extreme skiing near the Col des Aravis earlier in the week. More details over on the "Snow and Avalanche" thread.
ski holidays
Discovered the other day that both Sting and Seal have been La Clusaz regulars! Check about 20 mins in to Episode 10 of the podcast - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/knowledge-is-powder-the-ski-podcast/id1293102565?mt=2&ign-mpt=uo%3D4
ski holidays
@iainm, don't let that put you off
snow conditions
@gvj (or anyone else) have you seen any snow kiting around La Clusaz?

We're looking at staying on the campsite https://www.google.fr/maps/search/45.909137,%206.452349 - it looks like it is a bus ride back into La Clusaz to get to the main slopes, are these quite frequent. There does look to be a green that runs along the back of the site down into the town but no idea if this will still be in use at the end of March?
ski holidays
Hi,@Dan, don't know anything about snow kiting, but if it's the same as speed skiing a guy on the first page of this thread was looking into it. It might be worth PMing him.
The road your camp site is on is one way in the ski season and the ski bus circulates round it all day, next stop after you is La Balme (far left on piste map) from where you can access the whole area. This season I would expect the green run you mention to still be open too, so no problems getting on the slopes snowHead
latest report
@gvj, thanks 👍 for the info about the bus and the green run, would be great if it is still open 😁

snow kiting is like kitesurfing on the water but on snow ❄
snow report
I was supposed to be doing the speed riding today in LGB but it got cancelled because of the weather Evil or Very Mad

On the plus side what a day in La Clusaz. We had Balme to ourselves for the first hour in knee deep powder on some of the pistes (not good enough to venture off).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chriswg wrote:
We had Balme to ourselves ...

That was our favourite area of LC
snow report
Loved the conditions today. Skied Manigod today with the wife and kids then spent time at la clusaz this afternoon. Fresh snow from last night and glimpses of sunshine on and off today.
ski holidays
Yes, perfect top up for half term snowHead
latest report
Hi everyone.
I've managed to scrape 3 days off in April- 16th-18th. It looks like La Clusaz is still open that week and I was wondering whether it was worth heading over for a couple of days skiing. The short transfer from Geneva should make this possible, but has anyone been this late? Is anything open (a number of hotels already seem to have packed up)? I'm guessing the amount of lifts going will depend on the snow, but surely some of the top runs will be decent?

Thanks for any advice.
ski holidays
@EdYarker, Hard to believe the resort will be open... There's nothing 'high' there. Are you sure?
latest report
Le domaine skiable est ouvert à 100% du 23 décembre 2017 au 29 avril 2018
says the tourist office.....I'd be suprised if every run was still open by the end of April, although with this winter's snowfall, who knows. We had fantastic snow conditions one Easter a few years back, but the past two seasons they'd have been struggling.
La Clusaz used to be very home market orientated and traditionally the French don't ski after Easter, hence a lot of places do shut up shop. Having said that, you should be able to last minute book something. Why not get some cheap flights booked now and decide nearer the time?
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies. I may well just get flights, as there's always Chamonix if it's really looking bad. There are hotels open and I've already sourced a good deal and will happily spend a couple of days in a nice mountain village.. so long as there's some skiing, somewhere. If they advertise being open until 29th April I presume they will do all they can to keep as many runs open as possible. I won't be expecting to ski back to the village at 4.30 though.
Looking at the piste map, Col de Balme and L'Aiguille look reasonably high. Can't tell whether they are north facing?
snow report
Yep, good move.
Balme consists of a couple of high, steep north west facing combes that get very little sun and so holds snow very late. L'Aiguille is more exposed to the sun and west facing so not quite so snow sure late on.
latest report
Currently chucking it down with rain in La Clusaz up to the top of Beauregard. Anyone know where the snow line is the next couple of days?

We were going to venture to one of the higher peaks for a look but ended up with a hot bowl of soup in Bar Altitude!
snow report
According to Chamonix Meteo (their mobile web page downloads quickly on a smartphone browser for future reference) we're stuck with a rain snow level around 1800m until Saturday when it starts to drop to 1400m. So it's the top lifts of Balme or Aiguille if you fancy a white out rather than rain Sad
snow conditions
Well our week in La Clusaz has come to an end I must say we’ve had a real mix bag of weather from fresh to sunshine and cold to warm then rain. Bit of four seasons in one week.

Highlights the bluebird day and visit to top of balm

The kids improving quicker then ever

I must say it’s a fantastic resort in so many ways. If you haven’t been you should at least consider it for your next trip.
snow report
@Renry, We will be there in a couple of weeks for the first time, so any suggestions are gratefully received - decent rental shop/lessons (snowboarding) etc

We're there for 9 days so any decent things to do if we have some down time? Other things to do with kids - two boys 10 & 6?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy