Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 week solo snowboarding - what would you do

Poster: A snowHead
I've got 2 weeks in February and no one to go away with. This is pretty usual. I'm 43 and married to a snow objector, and the mates I used to go away with are all settled down and ski-ing en famile.

So it's go alone or go nowhere.

2 weeks solo boarding doesn't appeal so I'm going to sign up for an improver/advanced type course. I don't really need lessons - not that there's no room for improvement (there's always that), just that what I need most of all is solid time on the snow. The attraction of a course is to be riding every day with a group of snowboarders rather than skiers. (Skiers are lovely but it's a different pace - they like to cover new ground and I like to session the same slope a few times, find the fun bits and fall over a bit. After doing most of my snow time for the last 7 years with skiers, I know my piste speed has improved but my fun skills have atrophied.

I'm looking at two options:

Option 1: 2 week all mountain snowboard improver course in Fernie with NonStopSnow
Option 2: 1 week free ride course in Morzine with Mint then Geneva->Munich->Selva to spend a week with skiing friends. Option 2 is about £500 cheaper

Which would you do?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go on the Pre-Birthday Bash and the Birthday Bash.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Option 3: Learn to ski Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brokenbetty, either opt. 2 or as SnoodlesMcFlude, says - either of these seem more suited to you.

Personally out of your options I'd go 1.

I did 2 weeks solo 5 years ago, as SWMBO had broken her ankle and wasn't even able to fly, so she sent me off alone Toofy Grin

I did 2 weeks in Utah - well a week and drove to Jackson and had a week there. A place she never even wanted to go so gave me the chance Smile One of the best weeks I'd had tbh, rarely skied alone and met some great guys in a bar there the first night. To the extent we have somewhere to stay in Jackson any time - we've been back now a couple of times since and SWMBO has realised she doesn't mind the place really. Heading back there again this season during the trip Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the 'Circle of Shred' is a 'google hangout' group of boarders who hang out at the Manchester snow dome. Maybe join their hangout group and see if any similar boarders are in the same boat?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tried skiing - too many moving parts.

Actually the Birthday Bash would be just the right week. Do many snowboarders go?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd do @SnoodlesMcFlude's idea! You will have a better time on those two bashes than you would doing anything else - guaranteed.

Yes there are snowboarders that go.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh yes, there's enough of us snowboarders to make our presence felt... It's all very very welcoming actually! Do it! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@brokenbetty, I would say Fernie jumps out of the page there if you want improve with a group rather than clock up the mileage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done a few solo trips (and rather enjoy solo travel). Put a few words together here a couple of years ago: http://www.luex.com/magazine/2015/08/17/best-trips-for-solo-ski-and-snowboarder-travellers/

Honestly if you can swing Japan, staying somewhere like BD Lodge is absolutely ideal. There are a couple of Euro ideas in that article too.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most people on the Bashes are single. If the timing works, that's the best option, even if you have a week on your own somewhere before or after.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
are the courses both full days or half? I think I'd prefer learning environment just in the morning and free skiing or boarding in the afternoon

Fernie sounds cool and there's no travelling in the middle

But both options sound great to me
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will the snow objector like some days in Vancouver? Whistler may be an option for you (not sure what your budget is) ... You can join one of the clinics there .... and Whistler has a lot to offer for someone that doesn't ski or board.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brokenbetty, Do either of the courses come with your own room? That would be the deciding factor for me...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
martinm wrote:
Option 3: Learn to ski Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Aww beat me to it Laughing
ski holidays
Right I am going to the Bash! 1 week in Arabba meeting Snowheads and rising above the ski/snowboard snark NehNeh followed by a week with the ladies in Selva. Might do Fernie in 2019...
latest report
@brokenbetty, every snowHead is special... even the snowBoarders Wink

There is, as you suspect, always a little ski-snowboard banter but as a model of re-assurance, Harrison the Rabbit is a snowBoarder whose circumstances, when he discovered snowHeads, almost exactly mirrored yours. The 6th Birthday Bash was his first bash and he's done no less than 31 since Shocked
So either the banter's not so bad or he's inhumanly resilient Wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy