Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2017/2018: Méribel, Courchevel, Val Thorens, Les Menuires, La Tania, St Martin

Poster: A snowHead
Good snowytransfer days could be interesting
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interhome https://www.interhome.co.uk/france/savoie-haute-savoie/les-menuires/apartment-brelin-fr7358.400.13/?arrivalDate=2018-03-17&sorting=ascPrice
Not used them for a few years now but stayed in Brelin in the past. If its still available the week before there is usually a 30% discount which makes it very cheap.

Booking.com https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/apartment-origanes.en-gb.html?aid=397645;label=bin859jc-index-XX-XX-XX-unspec-bb-com-L%3Aen-O%3AwindowsS10-B%3Aedge-N%3Ayes-S%3Abo-U%3Asalo-H%3As;sid=1bbf9f0823c2c570b5c3b13b2e71e029;checkin=2018-03-17;checkout=2018-03-24;ucfs=1;srpvid=eee74d2f857d00d1;srepoch=1519901921;highlighted_blocks=265031102_105776482_3_0_0;all_sr_blocks=265031102_105776482_3_0_0;bshb=2;room1=A%2CA;hpos=1;hapos=1;dest_type=city;dest_id=900039957;srfid=9c95c3a77f53fba9b72174f5c2db4aa1cd12b998X1;from=searchresults;highlight_room=#hotelTmpl

Good luck
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@epicskichris, airbnb appears to have plenty of places possibly available
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgive the off topic question, but this is the largest 3V snowheads' hub here snowHead

I lost my skis a few weeks ago to some deep powder in Kazakhstan. I'll be in VT on March 10th and I'm looking for a quality pair of used skis (black/gold ex-rental). Y'all know of any shops in VT with good late-season deals, or am I too early for that?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not sure if it's been posted before but I think this is actually a good selection
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just booked a quick 4 day to La Tania after Easter, first return visit in many a year so really looking forward to it!

Looks like my friend who is working out there just skied down to Bozel, not sure how many seasons that is possible!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski wrote:
Looks like my friend who is working out there just skied down to Bozel, not sure how many seasons that is possible!!

Think you must be confusing Bozel with Brides-le-Bains? Bozel has a piste to it that is open for at least some of the season pretty much every year until the sun gets on it. Brides is the rarer ski but I've seen some posts from people this season that have done it. I last did it in 2005 when it was more of an expedition than a ski! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Raceplate, aha yes getting my Bs confused!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we were driving out from La Tania 30th December we saw a bloke and his son just arriving down into Brides on ski's.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going to VT on 25th, and the £1kk question is: do I book VT ski passes or 3V? The place we stay at offers discount passes, but I need to let them know by the 20th what I want.

Assuming things stay as they are now till 20th, is there a realistic prospect of lower stations (particularly interested in Meribel) going into a complete meltdown between 20th and 31st?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@oleksii, it’s not all going to disappear in the next 2 - 3 weeks, the snow depth is far too great and the other resorts are all open till Mid April. Worry not and buy the 3V pass Very Happy .
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@oleksii, I'm going out to La Tania on the 10th April and have no concerns about the snow at that time of the year, and fully anticipate being able to ski back to La Tania at 1400m! There is some nice north facing skiing around Courchevel, if you are there for a week I reckon it'd be worth getting the extra pass.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out to Meribel on 8th April and was also assuming I'd be good for 3V pass, never been to 3V before, so thanks for the confirmation!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Perty, @kitenski, good to hear snowHead I have never done Easter skiing, so not sure what to expect

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 8-03-18 11:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What discounted pass are you being offered. I’ve done this with our tour operator. The full 3v pass is 300 euros but this can be discounted to 285 if 3 of you pay together or 290 if 2 pay together. This time it’s suited us to let the to book the passes. Last year we just paid in the lift pass office
snow report
@oleksii, @dunc999, there some pic from April on an average snow year in 2005 here inc one in La Tania taken on the 23rd April!!

https://www.greghilton.co.uk/oldsite/albums/latania2005/
snow report
Hopes for a repeat next week of our 5 days of early March sun in 2016 seem to be dashed...
ski holidays
Any recommendations for where to get early breakfast in La Tania?
ski holidays
@dan100, for the w/c 25th of March normal prices are 250 VT/300 3V, and the they offer 191/230

Always worth asking in my experience, although they will normally only offer off-peak weeks
snow conditions
@oleksii, Interesting... in my experience discounted lift passes in 3V are fairly rare; the various operators seem to be able to hold ranks and maintain their pricing.

Did your accommodation offer this independently, at some time after you booked and paid for it?

Or was it part of the deal - that if you stayed with them they would be able to offer discounted lift passes? If so it is possible that what you are actually getting is a discount on the accommodation, dressed up as a discount on the lift pass.
ski holidays
I got a small discount by using this website and using some information provided to me by my apartment provider. But it wasn't huge. I get a much bigger effective discount in Paradiski.
ski holidays
From experience the only discount you get is the tribu rate. The accom providers be it independent or tour op can sell all their passes at tribu rate
ski holidays
CourchGal wrote:
Any recommendations for where to get early breakfast in La Tania?

Depends on your definition of early and breakfast... The Sherpa and the bakery open at 8am for croissants etc. or you can get a bacon sarnie and coffee from the Saucisson deli from 8.30am. That's about it as far as I know.
latest report
Little Martin wrote:
From experience the only discount you get is the tribu rate. The accom providers be it independent or tour op can sell all their passes at tribu rate

I'd never heard of this but yes it looks like the same discount/deal.
snow report
First time in Three Valleys. edit: val thorens! Embarassed

Got a v cheap deal on a chalet/apartment on rue des balcons.

I'm trying to figure out what lift we'd likely ski down to in the morning, and what run we'd likely come back down in the afternoon to get us close to the chalet.

Could anyone help me out? The google street view from the snowmobile is helpful but i'm having trouble figuring out the lifts / pinning some of the runs on the piste map

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-03-18 20:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snow_mac, Might help if you told us which resort it is in.
snow report
@rjs, oops! val thorens. it appears to be north of the tourist office from google maps
snow conditions
@snow_mac, been a while since I stayed there but this is my recollection. In the morning you have a choice: walk down the hill until you can join the boulevard or walk up the hill and ski down the side of the Balcons off piste to join the boulevard. Depending what apartment block you're actually in, you may be able to access the Balcons building which has a lift that brings you out only a few metres above the boulevard. It's supposed to be for residents only but it's the best way if you can get the door code off someone. That boulevard will bring you out above the Plein Sud and Deux Lacs chairs.

In the evening, take Pionniers or Plein Sud lifts and ski down Plein Sud staying as far right as possible. When the piste turns sharp left, go straight on over the edge. There is a short pitch of about 30m that accesses a walkway down to the Rue de Balcons by the Red Fox pub. If you take the Plein Sud lift, you can scope this out because it goes directly above the walkway. In the old days, this pitch was ice, rocks and grass all the way to the road most of the time. The walkway has made it possible for most abilities to go home that way now and there's plenty of snow this year so nothing to worry about.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Raceplate, this is incredibly helpful! thank you! really looking forward to spending some time in the 3Vs!
snow report
I'm out for four full days skiing 10th April, based in La Tania. I can't see any reason not to get a full 3V valley pass? Myself, wife and 15 year old daughter, happily ski anything. Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???
latest report
@kitenski, gonna be pretty soupy in LaTania at that point I would hazard to guess, 3V's would be a good bet and should all be open. why not wait till out there before deciding?
snow report
@skimottaret, La Tania north facing and home run usually pretty good!! I was assuming I'd get some kind of discount online vs booking at the ticket office on the first morning??

via the website seems to be Euro 234 each vs Euro 240 each at the "published" prices.....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 10-03-18 10:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
afaik the general passes arent discounted online but you can get a discounted "TRIBU Group Ski Pass" in advance which is worth doing..
latest report
use my owner code MT3M7T Wink
snow conditions
Rain due next few days ffs. Hope it’s not too bad and only effects lower stuff.
snow report
@skimottaret, what's that owner code thing about?
snow conditions
To avoid the rain we drove up from St M to VT this morning. We had an unexpected really good day. The rain turned to snow at around 2100m. For the first hour or so we were skiing in snow with poor vis and wind. Then during our late coffee break, the sun came out. Pistes above 2500m were excellent, with about 2-3inches of fresh snow, and there was enough new stuff to have fun off the sides too.
The cloud did come in again for an hour or so, unfortunately just coinciding with going up Cime de Caron, though the views were still spectacular. Pistes were getting soft in VT lower down by mid afternoon, and we finished relatively early. It is very warm here. We will probably do the same tomorrow and drive up the valley so we can avoid any rain and corresponding mush.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???

No. They'll be open.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
I'm out for four full days skiing 10th April, based in La Tania. I can't see any reason not to get a full 3V valley pass? Myself, wife and 15 year old daughter, happily ski anything. Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???

No...
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Given the base and the snow record I can't see any connections being closed by then?

anyone disagree???

No. They'll be open.

Unless there is too much wind:-)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy