Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney Off Piste Groups 16-23rd Dec?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be in Gressoney with my daughter from 16-23rd Dec. She'll be in ski school all day so I'll be on my own and I'm keen to do some off piste, but I can't afford a private guide.

Does anyone run group lessons/guided sessions (i.e. sign up as an individual and they make a group to share costs)?

If not, how much lift served, easily visible off-piste is there? I don't mind venturing off on my own, but there are the obvious safety concerns when you can't be seen and don't have a buddy. I went to L2A last year and it was awesome because there was a lot of terrain where you could be clearly seen from pistes/lifts, but some other places I've been the off-piste is much more isolated and I wouldn't feel 'safe' going it alone.

Alternatively, any other Snowheads around that week and want to pair up? I'm an 'adventurous intermediate' off piste - happy on steep terrain when things are fairly open, but I don't like confined couloirs where tight, precise turns are necessary.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tccambs, google gressonney guides and see if the locals do that? I don’t know.

Otherwise, the marked descents from Punta Indren are more or less “inbounds” - if they are open that early in the season. I think there are some open routes down, but the marked ones definitely go down a couple of couloirs.

I don’t think they’re that tight...

Otherwise the Alagna bowl nice and open.

I presume you have the required avvy kit?

But it is very early to get good conditions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I'll make sure to bring shovel, probe, transceiver, but with the best will in world they won't be much help if no-one sees you fall.

I know it's not the best week for conditions, but the other school holiday weeks are much, much more expensive. Hopefully I'll be lucky.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just as a slightly positive note, there is snow history here https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/italy/gressoney/snow-history

How accurate it is, I don't know... But although early, there's a chance you might get lucky at the end of Dec

snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@geoffers, odd chart that. We were in Champoluc weekend of around Dec 15 and it was pretty much man made only until really quite high.

Both Alagna bowl and Punta Indren skiable and fun but fairly firm snow.

Still a nice weekend, but not awesome off piste. Tip top lunches though Happy as usual.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@tccambs, add yourself to the snowbuddy with a comment, as it's there to help snowHeads discover each other in circumstances like this.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure how accurate this is but I once read in a travel guide that Gressoney's slopes are quite rocky. Not sure how this affects early season off piste
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Admin, that's a great feature and I've added myself to the list.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@cameronphillips2000, I'd kind of think that any mountain above, say, 2,000m would be quite rocky?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a look at the Fatmaps Monte Rosa guide. It has lots of interesting 'side-piste' routes. The area is due a metre of snow or more this weekend, so you're off to a good start in covering the rocks!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Check out this: http://www.guidemonterosa.com/Guide_Monterosa/#4934/GRESSONEY. They are a top notch outfit and will be able to get you in a group and find the best snow available off piste. You don't want ski off piste around there solo if don't know the area. Bad idea. A best you'll miss the best snow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whereis this 1m snow forecast?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Alagna/6day/mid

If you were traveling this weekend it could be an epic opening....

Ps if you are skiing off piste alone get an airbag!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, Snow Forecast not the best, IME.

But MeteoBlue suggesting a reasonable fall but only higher up... Encouraging perhaps for a Dec 1 opening...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, just trying to keep it simple for you old boy 😉

You good with this one?
ski holidays
@BobinCH, that's better!
latest report
@tccambs, My friend and I will be in Gressoney that week. I'm keen to do the off piste and conditions should be good. We are staying at the DuFour hotel. Perhaps we can meet up to discuss?
latest report
warrell wrote:
@tccambs, My friend and I will be in Gressoney that week. I'm keen to do the off piste and conditions should be good. We are staying at the DuFour hotel. Perhaps we can meet up to discuss?

That's great, but I don't know what makes you think the conditions should be good. So far the webcams look dismal. I'm really hoping that next week's snowmageddon makes it to the southern alps, but the current forecast is only for 30-40cm, which I would guess will be enough to open the pistes but not the off piste.

I'll be staying at the Valverde, which is about 20 metres away from you!
snow report
https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/14-days/champoluc-champlan_italy_3178915

these are one of the better ensemble sites and showing reasonable snowfall out from Sunday. I doubt there'll be enough to make for good off piste, but who knows? Depends what happens.
ski holidays
tccambs wrote:
warrell wrote:

That's great, but I don't know what makes you think the conditions should be good. So far the webcams look dismal. I'm really hoping that next week's snowmageddon makes it to the southern alps, but the current forecast is only for 30-40cm, which I would guess will be enough to open the pistes but not the off piste.

I'll be staying at the Valverde, which is about 20 metres away from you!

I'm an optimist 😎

There's always something to discover in a new (to me) resort and with the snowfall promised the piste will hopefully be like off-piste.

Hopefully we can meet up!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy