Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2017/2018 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Flying out tomorrow. Weather looks pretty good and it all looks great on the webcams, so keep you posted on the snow conditions (if the wifi behaves!). Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hazy sunshine this morning in Flaine with occasional low cloud. From the top of the Tete de Saix it looked as though Samoens, Morillon and Carroz were in cloud but did not go down to investigate.

In Flaine the pistes are in good condition, if a little ice and lumpy in places. The off piste is very lumpy and hard and not worth the effort of skiing it, in my view. Top and bottom of Serpentine closed. After the rain on Monday it is remarkable that there is anything to ski on at all. They have been removing snow from the sides of the roads because there is so much stacked up that when it snows again there would be nowhere to plough the snow to.

Cascades, Combe de Veret and Gers still closed but pretty much everything else in Flaine is open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cascades now open as is most of the Grand Massif. Gers still closed.

Ski from flaine down to the new lift. The blue leading to it via verclands (?) was a bit icy but great fun. Then stayed in les carroz for most of the day. The reds were in good condition considering no snow for a while.

In fact, loads of snow and very few signs of bare pistes. The runs back to flaine were very lumpy as usual due to the weekend skiers I expect.

Due to snow later on this week which would be good although blue skies are never something to complain about!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bruce99, Gers was open yesterday afternoon

Skied round all the resorts yesterday, where the conditions on piste were generally very good with some icy patches on steeper sections. Combe de Veret opened. The bottom of Tourmaline was very busy and therefore chopped up. Serpentine is now open for its entire length, albeit with a small width restriction towards the bottom. Looking forward to some fresh snow on Wednesday night but today is another bluebird day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can anyone tell me what the drive is like in to Samoens town? I'm driving out Wednesday with a stop over so will be on route Thursday morning. Looking at the forecast there should be some fresh snow around. Have snow tyres and chains so not too worried just be good to know how steep the road is. Thanks in adavnce!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s one of the easiest drives up from the valley you’ll find. Roads up from Sallanches will almost certainly be cleared anyway but unless it’s extreme I think snow tyres will suffice anyway.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jirac18, you mean up from Cluses surely? If you've got to Sallanches, you've gone too far...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, duh yes sorry Cluses only been there ten times Embarassed
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was in samoens this afternoon after cascades and the roads are clear. Hardly any snow anywhere at that level.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Woke up this morning to fresh snow and it has been snowing ever since, although it has eased up a bit now. Visibility this morning varied between bad and dreadful, although keeping to runs in the trees helped. In Morillon it seemed as though it might have been raining before it turned to snow because there was ice beneath a very small amount of fresh snow at the bottom of Marvel. Also, Chars was closed at about midday, maybe poor conditions towards the bottom? Coming back into Flaine down Tourmaline was challenging, to say the least, bumpy and very poor visibility. Looking a bit brighter now. As they say, any snow is better than no snow and the whole area needed freshening up after about 12 days without snow and 1 day of very heavy rain. Perhaps as much as 25cm has fallen.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spent today charging around the trees in Le Carroz and Morillon 1100. I didn’t notice any sign of rain just a fair amount of fresh snow to play in with varying levels of bad visibility. My back leg (I’m a snowboarder) aches with all the riding today. But I’m grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Chris Mason, neither Chars nor Coulouvrier were scheduled to be open today, which seems to be pretty regular at the moment. Spoke to someone the other day that said that the instructors in Samoens are now refusing to use Coulouvrier as both Chars and Aouia are not really blues at all, and both prone to be very icy. I guess that cuts demand, since Club Med was the whole reason for the lift. Just checked now and they are closed again tomorrow.

Snow has now stopped in Les Carroz.......
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This afternoon was much better than this morning. The snow eased off and the sun tried to show its face. The visibility was, briefly, good all the way to the top in Flaine, allowing us to make fresh tracks between Almandine and Minos. Snow was a bit heavy but great fun all the same. Now snowing again and temperature seems to have fallen. Visibility permitting tomorrow should be another great day. Hope so, as it is my last day here until the last week in March. There is an excellent snow base that, barring freak warm temperatures or sustained heavy rain, should ensure that the rest of the season is far better than normal.

@sj1608, Interesting what you say about Coulouvrier. I am not at all surprised that instructors are refusing to use the Chars and Aouia runs, they do get very icy. Before they took out the Lanches chair you could get back up to the Tete de Saix quite easily from, say, the top of the Sairon chair. Now I think you have to go via Carroz and Molliets. If the Coulouvrier chair was designed to ease the pressure on the Chariande Express due to the number of extra beds in the new Club Med development it seems daft that it has 'scheduled' openings.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They are both certainly ‘reddish’ blues but not ridiculous. Crazy that the lift isn’t open. Whole point was to relieve pressure on Chariande express. I’m out for half term when ques there can be horrible so I hope they open coulouvrier then.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ghanny, a couple of weeks ago there was a solid 2km of ice on Chars, with people scattered all over anything with a gradient. Many people were taking off their skis and going down sat down. I wouldn't call that 'reddish'. When I was a nervous beginner I'm pretty sure that I would have given up on skiing if I thought blues were like that. I think they're both great slopes - but not blues.
latest report
Fair point sj1608. I’ve only skied them without ice.
ski holidays
@sj1608, +1

We skied Chars at Christmas/new year and last weekend and I have experienced 'blue' conditions on it for minority of the time. We have only skied Aouia once, at Christmas and it was icy.

I suspect that there will be some slope remodelling this summer. I also hope that they do something about the tunnel but I expect that this won't be changed.
snow conditions
@Chris Mason, hi Chris - what do you mean by scheduled openings of coulouvrier please?
latest report
@Freestyle, it was me that said that. Each evening the planned status of the lifts and pistes the next day is updated on the GM website. If they don't plan on opening them, they have a red cross against them. Coulouvrier/Chars/Aouia have had that the last two days.......but they are all open today. So the closure may have been due to a fault that has been fixed.
latest report
Out of interest, do they ever open Grand Cret down to the bottom of the Vercland gondala? I've never seen it open this season so far (on the app or web site).
snow report
Left home 6am flight 8am skiing by 1.30 (French time ). 3 amazing hours of skiing.

Coulouvrier open . Both blue open and in best condition I have skied them. Only icy last 100 metres, but they are really tough blues whatever the condition

Snow condition is very good . Minus 1 in Samoens village , minus 4 at 1600m
latest report
@sj1608, ah I see. Thanks.
snow report
@stodge, yes.

Last time we were up though, a few weeks ago, there were trees across the piste, brought down by high winds or weight of snow.

Wouldn’t have thought it was their highest priority, esp. given everything that currently needs to be kept safe...
snow conditions
Morning all. Can anyone please tell me if there are any ski lockers at the bottom of the Vercland bubble? Ta.
snow report
@Jenniper, as far as I know there aren't, although there are some at the top. This thread seems to have most of the info:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133164
snow report
Oh fab - thank you.
ski holidays
Just booked a last minute half term holiday in Samoens. So, really enjoyed combing though the thread to get up to speed. Thanks you all for posting so far. We’re staying in the Chalets de Layssia. We’re four in number and looking for any tips on pistes and cafes for a very mixed group. I’ll sk, telemark, board anything, The Mrs likes cruises blues and the odd red. The 15 year old doesn’t reallly want to be here but may go down a blue on skis. The 11 year old boards with me and will lazily slide down a blue. So, I guess, what’s the best blue that doesn’t have flat spots? Any boarder flat spot traps to avoid?
ski holidays
No ski lockers at bottom of vercland bubble that I know of but Roland gay have plenty at the top of the bubble that you can rent if you rent hear from them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2020rules wrote:
No ski lockers at bottom of vercland bubble that I know of but Roland gay have plenty at the top of the bubble that you can rent if you rent gear from them
snow report
Samoens will be very busy at half term so if you want to dine out in the evening book two days in advance (at least). Bar de Savoie best for casual and doesn't take bookings. Serac also a good atmosphere but def needs booking. If your party can manage it, and its open, then take the Coulouvrier chair to the Tetes de Saix (top of Samoens and access to whole of GM) and bypass long queues at the Chariande Express. If you want to go to Flaine my advice would be to go mid morning once the crowds have already gone. The Vernant chair can be a half term nightmare. You will need patience!
@ExSussexSnow,
snow report
I’m in morillon for half term and can concur with Ian that restaurant booking is worth doing in advance.
It’s my wife’s 40th on 14th Feb and when I tried booking Le 8M des Monts for 4 of us a week back it was already booked up.
Thankfully I have secured a reservation for Fifine instead.
Mike
snow report
Excellent, thanks for the tips. Reading back it seems the piste down to the new lift are icy. Having grown up skiing and boarding in Scotland i can handle sketchy. More cocerned for junior. Does it really get icy the whole length?
latest report
@ExSussexSnow, no, not the whole length. On Chars can be up to 2km depending on conditions. We went down yesterday morning and it was OK for the whole length, came back about 3 hours later and parts of it had been scraped and were very icy, with the same scenario of nervous beginners removing skis and walking the steep bits. Not so sure about how much ice Aouia from Samoens gets, but it has been icy on the few occasions we've been on it.

It really depends where you are heading. If you are happy to stay in Samoens, Chariande 2 lift (just to the left of Chariande Express as you go into the lift) takes you up to almost the top of Samoens, a bit below the Tete de Saix, and you can loop it without the massive queues. I suspect that during half term they will also open Gouilles lift. If they do, you can ski down from the top of Chariande 2 to Gouilles and that will then take you up to the Tete de Saix. The other alternative is to get up early and beat the queue for Chariande Express!

One other thing, there is a red in Samoens called Marmotte. If you turn right off of Chariande 2, you join it part way down and have missed the steep bits. Terrific views and that lower section is certainly less red than than the much-discussed Chars down to Coulouvrier lift! If you decide you like that one, you can come down from the Tete on the blue Dahu and then turn hard left at the top of Chariande 2 chair, and hop across to Marmotte. We think it is easier (and certainly wider) than the rest of Dahu.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 4-02-18 16:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@ExSussexSnow, one other thought. Think you are in Samoens village? If so, you can always take the ski bus to Morillon, and go up from there one or two days. Morillon has the longest green in Europe (allegedly!), which is tree-lined, pretty and requires virtually no poling, as well as red and blue options. Along with the not-so-nice Chars......
ski holidays
Chars is the approach run from Morillon to Colouvrier. Aouba (or something like that) is the run from Sam 1600. The icy parts are much shorter than Chars.
ski holidays
Just got back from Samoens and I thought it worth mentioning the work done at the top of the Tete de Saix, the widening of the blue piste there (4x wider, maybe more) has made a massive difference and has taken the dread and fear of being taken out by others when passing through that area. I imagine at busy periods it will still be very crowded but will feel much easier and safer.

The Chars piste is a lovely piste but it was icy at the bottom and it feels wrong to be a blue.

Our favourite route down to Samoens from the Tete de Saix is the top of Dahu, then after the first short steep turn left on to the Marmotte by the top of the Chariande II lift, then down the Marmotte for 300m ish and then take the Verosse blue. You then have various options to complete the run back. The advantage of this route is that it cuts out the two steep sections on the Dahu which at half term are busy with beginners picking their way down.

Cafes:
Morillon sector - Chalet Clair & L'Igloo. Bar 7 at the top of the Morillon gondola was good as well - also discovered it has a picnic room
Carroz sector - either of the 2 at the bottom of the Plein Soleil and don't forget the large picnic room at the top of the Carroz gondola
snow conditions
So, is there ever a combat skiing route down to Samoëns village? Or do you end up skiing down an open road, or over a cliff on a power line clearance?
snow conditions
@ExSussexSnow, too many roads, felled trees and farmer’s land to negotiate to get down to Samoens village!
snow report
Freestyle wrote:
@ExSussexSnow, too many roads, felled trees and farmer’s land to negotiate to get down to Samoens village!

Given they have decent snow, why is the red down to Vercland not open? The big landslide that happened last year or something else?
latest report
@ExSussexSnow, and a river.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy