Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record snowdepths in California

Poster: A snowHead
California is having a record winter.
Already the 4th largest snowdepth ever.
And winter is not over yet, by far.

I started a topic on my Dutch home forum. There you can post photos directly from phone or hard drive. Less fuss...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Direct link to the topic

https://www.wintersport.nl/forum/topic/529358
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just one piccie

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just a pity the forum software here is so extremely user unfriendly. Big hurdle in een sharing nice content.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Onnem wrote:
Just one piccie

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Onnem wrote:
Just a pity the forum software here is so extremely user unfriendly. Big hurdle in een sharing nice content.
It isn't unfriendly if you contribute a little to the upkeep of the site.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
English is not my native language.

I really love this forum for its content, humour and good manners.
But the choice of forum software.... Puzzles me.

Why not phpbb, which is open source and de facto the standard?
My Dutch home forum runs on it, and you can post photos from your mobile.
Instead of uploading to a hosting site, copy the URL, and then pasting with img between brackets. And hoping you don't make a typo...

Why so difficult, when there's an open source (and free) solution that is so much user friendlier???

I just don't understand it.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Onnem wrote:
English is not my native language.

I really love this forum for its content, humour and good manners.
But the choice of forum software.... Puzzles me.

Why not phpbb, which is open source and de facto the standard?
My Dutch home forum runs on it, and you can post photos from your mobile.
Instead of uploading to a hosting site, copy the URL, and then pasting with img between brackets. And hoping you don't make a typo...

Why so difficult, when there's an open source (and free) solution that is so much user friendlier???

I just don't understand it.

I'm 99.9% sure it is phpbb, just with a retro phpbb v2 theme.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As @Hurtle says, if you make a small contribution it's easy to post photos. Even I can do it, and am not tech-literate.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The issue going on now as winter season starts to come to a close is the warmer temps as we near Spring time. The next AR is coming in tonight, and then there's another one on the radar for later in the week. That means lots of rain at lower elevations and flooding. It's cool to look at pics of all that snow, but roofs are collapsing. People are dying. So, please keep that in mind when talking about all that snow in California.

https://weather.com/news/weather/video/life-threatening-california-flooding-fueled-by-pineapple-express

This radar image shows you just how massive this AR coming in is. Hawaii is 3,800km from San Francisco for context. It's actually two storm systems, but there's currently no relief in sight

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
First example of snow sagging under warm wet weather.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Part of Emerald Bay (Lake Tahoe) is frozen over, which hasn’t happened since the early’90’s. (It has never frozen over completely).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Part of Emerald Bay (Lake Tahoe) is frozen over, which hasn’t happened since the early’90’s. (It has never frozen over completely).

I rented a boat on Lake Tahoe, and we sailed into emerald bay. Absolute breathtaking scenery and one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. We were swimming off the boat in the warm waters, it’s hard to image the same place party frozen over!

One good point from the record snows, this should provide some relief to the area and the ongoing 20 year drought. Fingers crossed the majority of the snowmelt and run off can be captured in the lakes, reservoirs and rivers.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ricklovesthepowder, while it will definitely help the drought, capture is a bit of a concern right now; some reservoirs are even being drained in order to ensure they have sufficient capacity to hold the water that’s coming. As for a swimming in Emerald Bay, where do you swim normally? “Warm“ is not a word typically associated with Lake Tahoe! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Onnem, you should probably credit the photographer(s) too, when uploading photos natively like that. I think these are from Rob Gaffney? Smile
snow report
So I'm planning to Skiing Lake Tahoe area March next year - hoping I haven't missed the boat - so to speak!
snow conditions
@Dippy, fear not, March is great at Tahoe even in a normal snow year.
ski holidays
And yet another atmospheric river, forecast for next Wednesday and Thursday.

Nice for the stunning pictures, good for the fill grade of the water reservoirs, not so nice for local inhabitants.

[img]https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/forum/2023/03/19/CaliTuW.webp[/img]
latest report
https://cdn.wintersport.nl/media/forum/2023/03/19/CaliTuW.webp
snow report
Dippy wrote:
So I'm planning to Skiing Lake Tahoe area March next year - hoping I haven't missed the boat - so to speak!

When Kirkwood had a >800 inch season in 2005 it followed it up by a 850 inch season in 2006.

To be honest I'm getting nervous about closer to home - those seasons were poor in Scotland and there is a fair degree of similarity to this year, fairly sustained periods of cold, but the cold spells were just too dry. Giving weeks at a time with little change in conditions for better or worse, but not enough snow for lift served skiing. Would rather not have a 2006 repeat here in Scotland next year.

Also be careful for what you wish for, the snow totals are spectacular in Tahoe, but when it gets this crazy so the scale of disruption to operations can limit both your skiing time and extent of open terrain, and ability to get to anything away from where you are staying.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/CfT4C88rd1U

This is where all the snow has gone!
snow conditions
Some of those houses will be in trouble when the snow starts to melt if the roofs are not cleared. CA can use the snowpack.
ski holidays
The ice arena they built at Palisades for the Olympics many years ago had no insulation in the roof. Some years later they decided to put insulation in the ceiling, so the heat from indoors no longer melted the snow from the roof. It collapsed, and now is a parking lot.
latest report
More snow on tap for the Sierras later this week and into the weekend. Longer term outlook indicating that April will remain in an active storm pattern. 1952 snowfall record might be within reach.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/graphics/2023/03/15/california-snowfall-record/11435377002/
snow report
Here's another example of the massive snow depths this season, this time in Kirkwood Shocked
Before and after photos....

snow conditions
Not California, but Alta in Utah. Still next to California.

Alta broke the all-time record snowdepths. Over 700 inches or 18 metres accumulated snowfall this winter. And still more one the way next week... Shocked

ski holidays
Brighton in Utah, not CA, now takes the crown.
Accumulated snowfall this winter, 19.5 metres.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Alastair Pink, that's not even ski- in ski-out anymore!
snow report
Preventive removal of roof corniche in Brighton

https://fb.watch/jwpJFrnqlF/
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
@Alastair Pink, that's not even ski- in ski-out anymore!

Looks more like ski over to me.
latest report
Alta, Utah.
New all-time record, is becoming daily business.

800 inches cumulated snowfall.

snow conditions
Not sure I’ve seen this posted yet, but it claims Mammoth mountain will be open until end of July 2023. Ou le be a nicer alternative than a crowded slushy European glacier.

I was there in mid June 2005 (another big snow year, but not as extreme as this year) and there were still large piles of snow in shady spots in town. Up higher, it was continuous deep snow above 10,000ft and widespread down to 8,000ft through to July.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2023/03/22/mammoth-mountain-will-remain-open-until-the-end-of-july/
ski holidays
Mammoth's website corroborates that. And +1 vs. a crowded glacier.
snow report
Today's photo from Snowbird

ski holidays
Onnem wrote:
Not California, but Alta in Utah. Still next to California.

For the record, the State of Nevada is in between. Nevada is about 111k square miles. For reference, the UK is about 81k square miles.
latest report
@Scooter in Seattle, details
snow report
In Dutch we say, "een kniesoor die daarop let".
Need some time to find a proper translation.

In the meantime, the top-10 accumulated snowdepths. Mammoth #1, with 850 inches.
https://snowbrains.com/the-12-biggest-season-snowfall-totals-in-north-america-right-now22222/
snow report
What's the use of all this snow?

Honestly, I don't see difference in the photos between 2 metres of snow, and 4 metres like now.

I suppose it's good for the fill grade of hydroelectric dams and to counter the drought problem though.

snow report
@Onnem, while it has countered the drought problem, there are concerns about flooding. This article is about California:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/apr/06/california-reservoirs-drought-storms-water-replenished?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy