Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
It was closed on Monday & no snow since
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It’s properly closed. You’d have to walk long sections at the bottom
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Heading out to St Gervais on Friday for a long weekend. Looks like piste conditions should be good, especially if the forecast snow happens on Thursday / Friday. Is there anyone on the ground who can provide an update on conditions? Also, if there is a decent top up this week, any feeling for whether the off-piste is likely to be good (subject to avi risk of course)?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got back yesterday from a long weekend in St Gervais. There was snowfall last Thursday and we skied Friday afternoon through to Monday lunchtime. It stayed cold, meaning snow conditions were generally very good on piste. The easily accessible off piste is well tracked, but there's still fun to be had.

They were running snow cannons on the home run down from Bettex and yesterday lunchtime it looked like they'd started bashing some of it to try and get the run opened.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're coming out on 23rd for two weeks - still a way away but hopefully it stays cold and snowy. Never actually been there when the home run has been open and must have been to Saint Gervais 5 or 6 times now! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@belette, its actually a tricky red, especially at end of the day when its slush & your legs are gone. TBH I Don't bother even if it is open
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Very quick visit to St Gervais this week for 2 days, anyone know if you can ski from 3pm the day before if you buy a 2 day ski pass?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@devilabit, if you find out can you post, I'm out Monday but for a change I am on early flight so will get to village for noon, got 6 day pass from Tuesday but could do a couple of hours from 3pm on Monday if that is the case.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Jonny996, you dont get to ski from 3pm the day before you use a multi day pass, i asked at the ticket office.

The St Gervais home run was open today, its a little icy in parts near the bottom but worth doing all the same. Conditions are still good overall with more snow expexted next week and its not that busy (will surely change next week).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Neraly a white day in Mont d'Arbois on Sat - but relatively empty pistes/lifts. It's now GVA + Lyon + Belgium + NL holidays so that's obviously changing...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On 06.30 flight tomorrow , can't wait
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick conditions report from the Lay bubble. Posted are superb - massive cover, firm/dense but not hard with a light fluffy cover. Lovely!
Off piste is quite pleasant - large tracked but it’s been cold so still very skiable. Bits and bobs of snow in the forecast too.
All this is Les Contamines but imagine similar elsewhere.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm in Saint Gervais for the season so if anyone's around, either living out here or on a solo trip, and ever fancies a day riding, let me know! I'll try start posting twice-weekly updates on here too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabulous day today. What was forecast to be 10cm ended up as 45cm of cold powder. The cloudy start kept away lots of the less committed and the mountain was absurdly quiet for half term. The kids and I got fresh tracks all day. Memorable.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, I skied St Gervais with a Canadian from British Columbia who was in no doubt that it was his best powder day ever. Even at 3:45 we set off on our last run in almost untracked snow. My usual ski partner had to work!
latest report
Beautiful today & for it being half term it wasn’t to busy.
There are so many positive to StG
snow report
Major failure with the Saint Gervais to Bettix gondola, so replacement bus service will be chaotic
ski holidays
Historically how is Les Contamines early April? Considering a few days, looks like I can get reasonable flights into GVA to ski 11th April for a few nights....Skied loads at Easter so well used to ice/slush/spring snow and Easter powder Smile
snow report
@kitenski, LC holds its snow very well, if the rest of the EMB area is poor I always head there
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
@kitenski, LC holds its snow very well, if the rest of the EMB area is poor I always head there

Presumably if there is a hot spell the lack of altitude will show, or is the fact it's NE facing mean it doesn't get slushy as quickly??

Any recommended hotels for a few nights?? Possibly with our kids who will be 15 and 18 by then!
ski holidays
@kitenski, sorry, got my own place so don't know LC hotels. I could recommend the Regina in StG but that would mean a 10 min drive up to LC
latest report
Agreed, Regina in St Gervais is great. Gav and Kirst are fantastic hosts.
latest report
I'm thinking I'd be better based at LC rather than StG for the better NE facing slopes and snow record given I'll potentially be there the last week of their season??
ski holidays
I would definitely go Contamines over Saint Gervais late in the season, even if it's a good season. But they are only 15 minutes apart if you have a car.
snow conditions
@kitenski,

meant to reply on this earlier:

"Presumably if there is a hot spell the lack of altitude will show, or is the fact it's NE facing mean it doesn't get slushy as quickly?? "
Yes, that's it. There are a few areas which are more southerly and get slushy but a lot is reasonably protected. Including the runs to resort. I'd be surprised if you can't ski back to Les C in April this year. The other thing is that a big part of Les C skiing is the big bowl type spaces between the pistes. In spring conditions these provide a massive acreage to ski which keeps the wear on the pistes down.

"Any recommended hotels for a few nights?? Possibly with our kids who will be 15 and 18 by then!"
In Les C itself there aren't many hotels - 3 I can think of plus a couple of Gites d'etape. None of them are fabulous or very plush. The Gaie Solais is quirky but very likeable. The Christiania (across the road from our flat as it happens) is fine. The Chemenaz is handier for the bubble (others need car or bus stops outside unless you feel like a 10-15min walk) but not for the village and may be 3 star rather than 2 but I have never been in. Will be loads of self catering availability if you prefer. We think the mountain restaurants are particularly good at Les C so are often very happy to have a good lunch then pizza/salad/charcuterie/etc at home in the evenings.
ski holidays
Really wellying it down out there - gonna be a beastly week or so, a metre or more forecast.
snow report
Everything open, home runs only just

Some nice hidden powder that was still light and fluffy.

Soo much snow on the higher mountains.

snow report
Lovely afternoon in Megeve: only soft/slushy for the last 100m above the Chamois bubble, snow's coming down tonight...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy