Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
I think tatman reported in the Saalbach thread on the Resort reviews forum that the snow was currently great this week.

Shame it wasn't the best last week. A right mixture depending on the day, time, slope etc.

Blue 32 below Hasenauer chair was poor even in the morning.
Learner slope at Kohlmais was absolute rubbish even at 09:10am
Blue 52 from mid way point was rubbish most of the way at 10am
Blue 51 was great top to bottom late morning
Top section of 46 was fine most of the day
Blue 34 to bottom of hasenauer chair was soft on the initial steeper section where it crosses red 35, but once you turn off before Reiteralm, it was excellent.
Steeper sections of blue 28 were a bit soft late morning but still easily negotiable.
Others in our party reported poor snow on other runs back to the valley even before lunchtime.
Red 48 was great in the morning but bit chopped up after lunch
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jimmybog, Last week there was a slow-moving warm front (foehnig) passing through. This week is similar to the excellent conditions we had in mid-January, except that there are fewer people. As usual, the luck of the draw. It’s not unusual to experience a cold snap in late March, or to get fresh snow into April. In my experience of being here all season (for a few years now), it’s entirely dependent on which way the wind is blowing, and that applies throughout the winter. The pistes are currently hard, smooth and powdery from top to bottom and regardless of altitude or orientation. Even piste 68 is still open.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tatmanstours wrote:
@jimmybog, Last week there was a slow-moving warm front (foehnig) passing through. This week is similar to the excellent conditions we had in mid-January, except that there are fewer people. As usual, the luck of the draw. It’s not unusual to experience a cold snap in late March, or to get fresh snow into April. In my experience of being here all season (for a few years now), it’s entirely dependent on which way the wind is blowing, and that applies throughout the winter. The pistes are currently hard, smooth and powdery from top to bottom and regardless of altitude or orientation. Even piste 68 is still open.

Yes it never seemed to be that cold all week till friday evening. Compared to the same week last year, overall I thought the snow was a bit better this year, probably due to it being more cloudy this time. When we managed to get out by 09:15am on the Thursday, the snow was absolutely brilliant for our lesson up top of Bernkogel. Even by lunchtime the snow up top of Schattberg was really good and grippy

Funnily enough last week i thought was quieter overall compared to same week last year. Village, apres bars, slopes, mountain huts etc all seemed quieter. Not excessivley so, but enough that others in our party noticed it. Whats your thoughts on this? Did you think it quieter perhaps? The busier mountain huts just weren't as packed this year!!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jimmybog, It’s hard to make any insightful comment. The peak season seemed as busy as usual, but the early and late season, which have both seen fantastic skiing conditions, were idyllically uncrowded. The fact that the snow has been so good throughout the season to allow all pistes and lifts to be kept open may have something to do with it - people are distributed right across the area.
Yesterday I received a message from one of my friends that the lifts were very busy at around 10.30am, but when I got out at around midday the slopes were wonderfully quiet. The Bergeralm was very quiet, as was the Spitzbub, but the Hendl Fischerei and the Maisalm, and, later Berger’s Sport Hotel and Bobby’s, were very lively. People are congregating at certain venues, and “White Pearl Mountain Days” and “Dutch Week “ no doubt has something to do with that, as does the presence in the resort of some large groups (one of them being a party of nearly 40 very high-spirited young Brits, who seem to be having a great time and are turning whichever bar they happen to be in into a fantastic party - a couple of days ago the Bergeralm and Taverne and Castellos, and last night Bobby’s karaoke evening, which was a riot.)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 23-03-18 12:58; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@tatmanstours,

Yesterday I rec

OI!!! Don't leave us in suspenders Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@gandie, now rectified.
By the way, what is wrong with using the expression, “f l o c k i n g to “? When I tried to use it (without the gaps), instead of “congregating at”, something very weird happened. Try typing something using those words, and see what happens.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By the way, after bluebird weather most of yesterday, it was snowing last night and today- at times quite heavily. Should be great tomorrow, which is forecast to be sunny.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like some pretty full-on flooding in Saalbach this evening. Anyone on the ground with more info?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, These videos will show what it was like:

https://www.facebook.com/severeweatherEU/videos/2461554934070954/

http://youtube.com/v/Hi1BVdG9T-8

I spent the evening up the mountain above Viehhofen at the Hecherhuette. However, after a fine, sunny day, a thunderstorm had developed, and, as we drove up there at about 6.30pm, the rain was bucketing down and there was a bit of flooding, and debris on the road. Then it became apparent (via postings on Facebook and accompanying news bulletins and videos that there was some pretty extreme flash flooding. The Saalach river had burst its banks, and the Glemmtaler Landesstrasse was awash - in fact deep in fast-flowing water; and it would have taken a brave man to cross any of the bridges! People were saying that they were stranded and unable to get back to their accommodation, and cars were being swept away and cellars flooded.

For a while, as the evening progressed, it seemed likely that we were going to have to avail ourselves of the offer of a bed for the night at the Hecherhuette, a prospect that I was actually relishing (I can think of few places where I'd rather be marooned Madeye-Smiley ). However, at about 10pm, we received a message that a taxi driver had made it up there to collect some of our friends, and that, as long as we left immediately and followed his taxi, we stood a good chance of getting through to Saalbach. So we had an exhilarating drive down the mountain, trying to keep with the taxi, and only slowing down where a few rocks and some gravel had been swept onto the road. Once we got to the main road, it was all a bit of an anti-climax - the road was empty, with no flooding (at least between Viehhofen and the Aral Service Station, where we turned right into the tunnel to get up to Schiliftstrasse), but with lots of steam rising from it, and we were able to progress at a fairly normal speed. As you might guess, the taxi vanished into the distance at warp speed.

We were thankful to find that we had not acquired a new swimming pool in our apartments, but they are elevated well above the valley bottom, so not as vulnerable as the hotel and apartment buildings lower down - apparently some of them suffered flooding. Later we walked down through the village, and it was apparent that something unusual had been going on towards the lower end of Schulstrasse, and around the Schattberg Xpress car park. The road was very muddy and strewn with gravel, and there were cars parked most of the way along it - presumably abandoned for the night. No doubt subterranean car parks had been flooded. There were a few emergency vehicles around, with blue lights flashing, and we noticed earlier as we drove past, that the fire station was all lit up and evidently having a busy night. We were told that the Crazy Deer had suffered some flooding (but presumably not too bad, as some friends of ours had been in there for a drink). We went on to Bobby's where it was business as usual.

Later on we remarked, as we walked home- up through the village - that the streets were now dry, and you wouldn't have known that anything unusual had happened. I expect though that there will be a lot of cleaning up to do. Glad we don't live down by the river and the main road! Looking out of the window now, it looks as if it might be a reasonable day - a bit overcast but also plenty of blue sky showing.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 24-08-18 11:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, Shocked glad your both OK
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some photos from Hinterglemm seems it was worse up there,

, apparently there are lots of lorry's going up and down.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nasty, looks like the approach to the Zwolfernordbahn will have to be resculpted, and from the local news reports it seems a road was undermined in Hinterglemm and the village is partially cut off, with repairs expected to take several days:

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/oesterreich-schlammlawinen-und-ueberschwemmungen-nach-unwetter-a-1224694.html
http://www.salzburg24.at/unwetter-ueber-salzburg-zahlreiche-feuerwehreinsaetze/5332510
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From the tourist board
UPDATE 2.0:
The road to Hinterglemm is passable until Wiesern (Zwölferkogel car park) . From Wiesern to the end of the valley the road is closed until 13:00h.
From about 13:00h the road to Lengau will be passable with restrictions.
Please take care of emergency vehicles!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It seems that we didn’t see any of the chaos on our drive up from Viehhofen, or on our walk back from Bobby’s at 2am, but there is clearly a lot of devastation along the valley bottom towards Hinterglemm. Hope your building is okay Radar.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, fine thank you, it stayed within the banks where we are, it was lower down by the Herzblut where it spilled on to the road, you can still get a burger at the BurgaerBaron!
ski holidays
Crikey, we left on the morning of the 23rd, glorious weather, as was the previous 9 day’s, just goes to show how quickly things change!
latest report
Glorious weather again now, but there's an autumnal nip in the air as the sun goes down - and there's snow on the mountain tops Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy