Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowmageddon 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out to val thorens sometime over the next few days but it looks like snowmaggedon might be coming with snowforecast suggest 2m of snow for the next week or so.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How I love Snowforecast (we call it snowliar.com in our house)! Probably not as much as they say as they are usually way off, but it's still looking good. Mr P and chum are arriving to set up our winter hideaway on Sunday afternoon, driving from GVA, only as far as St Martin, but it might be an interesting trip. i'm at home, having to go to work...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, the general French and Swiss Alpine system looks better than you suggest. The snow is forecast to arrive in a continuous set of modest falls, so little likelihood of infrastructure disruption - but quite a lot of snow (on top of a good existing base).

Thank feck!

More bookings please!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, +1.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Could someone direct some over the Atlantic please. Unseasonally warm and dry in Whistler, but it has 5 weeks to sort itself out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@endoman, seeing as North America didn't send us much last year, I don't see why Europe should share wink

Fingers crossed for a great season for everyone
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suggest you all pick to go where I don't go, last year 2 trips to Val D, saw about 5 snowflakes, this year back to Whistler for the promise of snow, I'm sure it will arrive before we get there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks like 4 days of constant snowfall coming to the Alps from Fri to Mon, so there will be some disruption.

But it is low-season, so the lines into France will not be too bad. Austria may get fairly rammed with locals down from Munich.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given that the original was caused by a lot of snow falling very quickly at what I was told was the time when the show plough drivers were changing shifts immediately prior to one of the most busy transfer days of the season, I don't think this will be like that. It does appear that there will be a continual snow fall over several days and that the authorities will be mush better prepared to deal with it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One big [predicted] snowfall and out rolls the old Snowmageddon headline rolling eyes

And @Whitegold that was remarkably subdued for you wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Plus they have these fancy new machines to deal with it!

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiboomzg_jXAhVGWhQKHTyPBa0QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thesun.co.uk%2Fnews%2F2875550%2Fman-invents-worlds-first-pedal-powered-gritter-bike-in-bid-to-clear-cycle-lanes-of-ice-and-snow%2F&psig=AOvVaw0SytgBht_oSADGYxPIsh2k&ust=1512740425248505[/img][/img]
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jellylegs wrote:
One big [predicted] snowfall and out rolls the old Snowmageddon headline rolling eyes

That’s because the original thread was one that uust kept giving. Especially if you don’t have to travel on a saturday.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jellylegs wrote:

That’s because the original thread was one that uust kept giving. Especially if you don’t have to travel on a saturday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Driving from Cham to Meribel n back for a course tomorrow, there is a national weather warning. Road crews should get their practice for Saturday
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's actually very positive for Whitegold Very Happy

Is Whitegold just a response algorithm that's learning AI to give us a bot-view of skiing?

@jellylegs, never underestimate the power of unprepared drivers. I was stuck with a whole bunch of them going up to Les Arcs one evening, the array of fundamental errors was extraordinary.

Lead car with no suitable tyres or any other provision for traction got stuck, que soon formed as it was blocking gradient and traffic coming down stopped immediate passing. Coach coming down couldn't clear hairpin because of up cars stopped further down....... It gets worse........I chained our car to make sure it didn't have a problem, others there were getting out new chains AND INSTRUCTIONS as they'd not been used before, offered to help, declined! Some in the que also had no contingency at all.

I walked up to negotiate with another coach driver to hold still the down que so those that were equipped could pass the stuck ( idiots) safely which would in turn clear the hairpin for him to go down.

You really couldn't make it up, we were there for nearly two hours just below 1600 and it hadn't even started with heavy traffic, just started snowing and people no idea what they were doing.
snow report
One year in the Chainage area near La Plagne 1800 some resourceful Aussie seasonaires were offering to fit peoples chains for a 'contribution' to their beer fund! They had quite a few takers snowHead
snow conditions
jellylegs wrote:

It's traditional on here...

Every year at this time we simply MUST have an "OMG NO SNOW" thread or a "Snowmageddon" thread - sometimes both
latest report
@red 27, and the OMG theres NO SNOW thread snowHead Laughing
snow report
I always use the national meterological services - they have the base data that everyone else consumes anyway (sometimes not very accurately).

So that's Météo-France or MeteoSwiss (note the spelling i.e. not Suisse): both have free apps you can download. Both also have the usual animations that I find make it easier to understand what's happening.

I'm in La Tzoumaz (Verbier) at the moment and MeteoSwiss predicts moderate snowfalls from 4am for a few hours then lighter falls for the next 12 hours. Later on Sunday PM a heavy drop for 3-4 hrs, with light falls intermittently through to end of Tuesday.

So Basically, over the next 5 days, prediction is for light snowfalls off and on with a couple of heavier bursts.

I'll post some photo's and snow reports in the Verbier thread if I can.
snow report
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84057#1936169
snow conditions
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
davidof wrote:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84057#1936169

It’s tradition snowHead
latest report
@LaForet, Let us know how accurate the forecasts are over this weekend. Where I am, the BBC/Met Office forecast has only been off by a few hours at worst.
snow report
So far, the MeteoSwiss forecast has been accurate. Moderate snowfalls last night from about 2-7am adding up to roughly 8cm or so here in La Tzoumaz (4 Vallées) at 1500m. This was the view from the balcony 1st thing:

It brightened up and warmed to 4C then turned cloudy and windy with intermittent light snowfalls, possibly an additional 2cm or so. Temps also dropped over the afternoon and is now -1.3C (1500m) on the balcony, and still dropping.

The forecast is for more light intermittent snow overnight and a similar pattern tomorrow. Then very heavy falls later Sunday afternoon for about 3-5 hours.

The Savoleyres lifts ran today but only to carry people to Verbier and back. The upper slopes of Savoleyres are due to open tomorrow.

We were here around the same time last year and I'd say that there is snow to much lower altitude (between 7-800m), and by the end of the Weekend it will also be thicker than last year too, with cover down to the télécabine base at 1500m.
snow report
Yesterday (Friday 8th) the expressway in the Tarentaise from Albertville to Moutiers was all screwed up in the morning. Had to take the backroads for the last 15km. From what we could see it was incompetence not real problems causing the issue.
ski holidays
@Idris, It was fine this morning from Moutiers to Albertville and again this afternoon on the return journey.
The road from Bozel down to Moutiers was a bit tricky this morning around 9am but passable with care and winter tyres. A few cars going up had to stop off in the snow chain area just before the turn off to Meribel and it looked like a few had been abandoned there for the day.
ski holidays
Reasonaly chaotic round us this morning. As leaving LHs a woman with 74 plates and looked like snow tyres (on black steel rims anyway) was doing a fine job of trying to grind through the ice down to the tarmac.

Clearly not a clue how to drive in snow Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
Drove up to Chamrousse today, quite a few cars going up like snails but the 5cm of snow on the roads was fine on snow tires. Overtook a couple of ladyboy 4x4s but then had a subura imprezza come past at a very impressive clip. I've just changed my insurance to TPF&T so don't want to prang up the car.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You have done what?!!!!!!!!!

misguided at best.................
snow conditions
Came down to Wengen from Heidelberg by train yesterday. Snow in Heidelberg, snow in Wengen on arrival.

Absolutely nothing went wrong.
snow report
@davidof, I looked at tpf&t in uk and there was little to no saving. Is it different in France?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy