Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmageddon, no, really this time...

Poster: A snowHead
@Hells Bells, you know what we really missed the snow just here in La Salle / Villeneuve yesterday from the looks of things.

Thought Monetier withe extra 100m would get the snow as it was so off and on here, totally bizarre.

Behind Club Med you can still see the tracks from Sunday and rain affected slopes.

Gaiters on now and out to walk dogs
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, very odd as you say.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Almost every flight out of GVA yesterday morning was cancelled

Shocked Shocked

Was that due to local conditions? TOH only said that it was raining heavily (enough so that our basement leaked for the first time in a few years rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was feeling a tad cocky on Sunday in the UK, as had put on the winter tyres approx 2 weeks ago...pride and all that! We were still 'dancing' sideways on changing direction, luckily did not connect with anything. It was a good lesson though as came back and looked up the snowchains thread on here and we are just about to purchase a set of Spike Spiders. Hoping it is a better option than our old chains as they were a complete pain. Looking at the weather forecast for the weekend, hoping we can get into Les Carroz without needing them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After the recent carnage, so well described on this thread, we can expect the police to be extra vigilant the next few weekends, especially as there'll be much more ski traffic. And lets hope they are - as you have discovered, @Cheesie168, winter tyres aren't foolproof and being ready to put chains on at the first sign of loss of traction (and preferably not in the middle of the road!) at least means that it won't be you holding everybody up. Coming down, finding the right place to take chains OFF can also be a puzzle sometimes - as you daren't drive into deeper snow to do it, in case you can't get out. Doh.... Driving down last Friday afternoon it took me a while to find the right spot as many roads only had one snowplough width cleared.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Cheesie168, can you point ou the snow chains thread as I fear I may need some, even to get to just 810M.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name No. Geneva Airport conditions were fine, just very wet. It was all down to crew/plane logistics being messed-up by cancelled/delayed flights from UK, Netherlands, Austria etc. We had a stranded easyJet crew as passengers on our flight back to Gatwick.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jonny996
here is a link to one part of it. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3138264&highlight=snow+chains+spike+spiders#3138264[b]
Hubby is just on way back as he hopefully has got a pair off eBay. Now need to set aside an hour or so for set up and practise. Not needed them for so long but I still recall vividly the last time we needed chains. 2011, Hubby was not feeling well on the way down, having to put the chains on in the freezing cold finished him off and had to drop him at the Cabinet Medical as we drove in and he could not ski for a week!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've got Maggi Trax for ours. really easy to put on.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks like Santa won't be bringing his Amazon gifts to some locals

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is an example of the famous front collision, 180 degrees, then reverse off the road only to be saved by trees

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
super deep in verbier....they wisely being very cautious with openings...very happy to be here even if we were stuck south of martingy for 4 hours while the highway was closed sunday evening ....i have never seen snow like this - yes it warmed a bit but the overall impact on the season should be really great.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Few more stories from the valley.

Bumped into someone we know walking the dogs and nagging about conditions etc and she said it's the first time in sixteen years that the school buses have not run.

Then met the guys getting the chalet along from us ready at the bottom of our wee hill on the main road where there was big truck. Matt explained that they had two pallets of wine on board (think it was 360 boxes) and no way could the truck get up the hill plus the final 50m of the drive to their chalet still had yet to be cleared.

Lot of shrugging of shoulders and the truck driver just wanted to offload on the main road. In the end they did it round the corner and then transferring wine from pallet to van and then man handle up the driveway!

Snow with warm temps is consolidating really quick in the valley, tomorrow we'll be asking what all the fuss was about!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, we had to break out the snowshoes to walk the dogs yesterday......
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oooolaalaa... seems to be worth the effort!
https://www.facebook.com/powderextreme/videos/10155667865036210/
ski holidays
I am flying into Geneva at 9.40am on Friday and was planning to hire a car and head down to Lez Carroz/La Clusaz/Cham/Megeve but am having severe doubts given that there is forecast a lot of snow and high winds in the western Alps over the next three days.

Thoughts on travel disruption ?

One other option would be to get the train from Geneva Airport and head to Chateau d'Oex/Rougemont/Gstaad.

Would this be a better idea given the weather forecast ?
ski holidays
@JoyZipper, it's winter. You normally expect disturbed weather. It's not really a lot of snow forecast.

I know I said this last time but that was somewhat unusual and a combination of events.

Just make sure you rent on the Swiss side and have chains.

Or take the train.

Either.
ski holidays
JoyZipper wrote:
I am flying into Geneva at 9.40am on Friday and was planning to hire a car and head down to Lez Carroz/La Clusaz/Cham/Megeve but am having severe doubts given that there is forecast a lot of snow and high winds in the western Alps over the next three days.

Thoughts on travel disruption ?

One other option would be to get the train from Geneva Airport and head to Chateau d'Oex/Rougemont/Gstaad.

Would this be a better idea given the weather forecast ?

+1 to UANN, but if you were to take the train I can think of many other resortts than the Gstaad area and better for skiing. There are many mentioned in this thread and anything accessible from Lausanne is the same from Geneva +40mins or so.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3120665&highlight=train+ski+verbier#3120665

Of course, Gstaad area is wonderful in it's own way, but to ski I'd choose Le Chable/Verbier right now.

SB
ski holidays
Great snowmaggedon candidate this Saturday as heavy snow predicted for Friday night and sat.
snow conditions
@JoyZipper I'd second @snoozeboy in suggesting you hop on a train at Geneva Airport and take a Brig-bound train to Martigny, change for Le Chable, then bus or télécabine up to Verbier. You're arriving nice and early so there should be plenty of trains to choose from. And if the trains are delayed, then the roads will be much worse. See www.sbb.ch and perhaps the Verbier Tourist Office or myswitzerland.com
snow conditions
LaForet wrote:
@JoyZipper I'd second @snoozeboy in suggesting you hop on a train at Geneva Airport and take a Brig-bound train to Martigny, change for Le Chable, then bus or télécabine up to Verbier. You're arriving nice and early so there should be plenty of trains to choose from. And if the trains are delayed, then the roads will be much worse. See www.sbb.ch and perhaps the Verbier Tourist Office or myswitzerland.com

Thanks for this but I was there on the 15th-17th Dec. Ended up taking a train from Geneva Airport to Schonried (Gstaad) and had a wonderful weekend skiing waist deep powder. Hired a fabulous guide on the Saturday and he took me all over the mountain. Schonried is a lovely village. I would go back in a flash. I managed to miss the worst of the storm which was coming in from the southwest.

Off to the Dolomites on Saturday for a week to do it all again Very Happy Very Happy Toofy Grin Very Happy
snow report
@emwmarine, I think you could be right. We're baling out on Friday afternoon and hoping to get to around Troyes. Tricky bit might be through the Jura.
snow conditions
@emwmarine, Early doors yes - but by mid afternoon it should be raining in Val D so that will help the roads.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
@emwmarine, Early doors yes - but by mid afternoon it should be raining in Val D so that will help the roads.

There was a rapid temp increase snow to rain incident a couple of weeks ago. The roads were very dangerous and far more slippery than the standard snow/slush. I can see the same thing happening again on Saturday.
snow report
FL tomorrow is unpredictable. Could be anything or everything. Skier traffic in Les Saisies this week v light. Empty, perfect, pistes this morning. Parked within few metres of lifts. Where is everybody?
snow report
snoozeboy wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

There was a rapid temp increase snow to rain incident a couple of weeks ago. The roads were very dangerous and far more slippery than the standard snow/slush. I can see the same thing happening again on Saturday.

The valleys should be warm enough for the snow on the roads to melt during the night but mountain roads look like they’ll be be treacherous on Saturday with an increasingly wet layer going on top of the drier stuff underneath. And it’ll be super busy. We arrive Geneva at 15:00 assuming Glasgow flights are ok (closed this morning with 15cm of snow in the ground!). Oh joy....
ski holidays
The st martin tourist office have just sent me, and all hotels and registered appartment renters an email recomending people leave tonight and that arrivals come on sunday.

INFOS ROUTES 29/12/2017 12H :

Aux vues des conditions météorologiques complexes à venir, il est fortement déconseillé de prendre la route dans la nuit de vendredi 29/12 à samedi 30/12, des fermetures de route pouvant être notamment déclenchées.

Les équipements spéciaux sont obligatoires.

Dans le sens de la descente (Val Thorens => Moutiers), il est conseillé d’anticiper au maximum les départs jusqu’à ce vendredi soir 21h

they are talking about a huge amount of snow falling early hours saturday and saturday.
ski holidays
Just looked at the forecast for tomorrow, the bad news for travellers is the 0 deg isotherm has moved down the valleys. Rain at the airports but roads above Moutiers and BSM will be snowy.

Wise words from St Martin!

More on the Tignes thread in 20 mins (inc a forecast for Glasgow airport).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tomorrow could be a snowbath . . . . . good fall of snow now in and not forecast to stop until Saturday night.
snow report
Update at 5.45pm...in St Martin. So far there has only been a bit of gentle snowfall this afternoon, amounting to no more than an inch or so. It appears to have stopped for now. I definitely had a sense that people due to leave tomorrow were heading down the mountain late this afternoon.
. We are lucky...we get to stay put thank goodness! The resort forecast says snow in the morning with 0 deg moving UP to 2300m and rain in the afternoon, so I’m not sure where@chocksaway, got his info from (personally and selfishly, I’d like him to be right!).
latest report
Perty - UKWeatheronline temperature maps backed up by Meteo France - who are currently showing a snowline at 500m for tomorrow rising to 800 in the afternoon and 1100m by late tomorrow night on the Les menuires forecast.

Still snowing in Tignes
snow report
Tweet from Chatel tourist office

https://twitter.com/chatel_officiel/status/946788924113944577

“If you exit Châtel tomorrow or if you can, drive carefully we are still waiting for the snow ❄️Les equipment are essential. Good luck to all!”
latest report
And so it begins? Snowing moderately and has been all afternoon. Seen one car related handbag incident already. Bloke touched other bloke with wing mirror. Other bloke kicked bloke’s car. Etc.
snow report
@under a new name, don’t blame bloke number 2. nothing worse than being touched up with a wing mirror.
latest report
@emwmarine, indeed!
snow conditions
Just back from the pub, road described as treacherous by local garage bloke who has been rescuing frozen diesels out of the car park all day, its going to be a long night for some
ski holidays
Col du Lauteret closed until 8am on 31/12
ski holidays
I’ve just driven to Geneva Airport to pick friends up, it was a horrible drive and to top it off P51 car park is full
snow report
Reminders up here not to try and overtake the snowploughs - Shocked
snow report
@Hells Bells, ta for that, we've got guests in Chantemerle tomorrow, just given them the heads up Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy