Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to treat and or prevent blisters from boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Over thirty five or so years I have had some truly horrible blisters from walking both in snow board boots and ski boots, I've bought the most expensive guaranteed blister proof socks on the market and spent a small fortune on Compeed's and still end up with nigh on holes in my feet from red raw and painful blisters.

In March 2017 I ended up in emergency in Briancon hospital with an infected foot, although it was not a blister infection but an infected ankle bursa the Doctors said another day without anti biotics that there was a high probability I could have lost my foot or worse due to sepsis blood infection taking hold.

For the last five or so years I've managed to deal with any blisters after being told how to do it.

Last week even though I'd done four or five tours without any problem, when I went out on my own an increased the pace I ended up with two blisters.

So I dealt with them and in the process took some pictures of how to do it (not good if you are at all squeamish) and wrote a feature about it.

I should add that I always get blisters at the beginning of the season, just the way my feet are, and it's not just snow sports, can be hiking / running etc etc.

Post blister scar callous tissue prevents anymore developing, that is until the height of spring when in the warm temps my feet sweat a lot and I might be susceptible to them reappearing.

Article here and like I said a couple of pictures are not that attractive!

The article also gives some good tips on how best and when to apply Compeed's.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You probably/possibly have a lack of ankle flexion/ range of motion and tight lower leg chain in this instance most are looking for a bandaid cure not a longer term physical training fix/or help .

First step is you need analysis so you know it is real and can address it .

The comment that you blister up pre season is something I have experienced from a lack of flexion pre season.
Used same boots the season before with no issues so the heel moving/blistering up in the boot was a physical issue .

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 21-01-18 21:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I get really bad blisters on my inner heels when touring, the best thing I have found is pre taping with zinc oxide or rock tape then using compression socks. I did my first tour of the season yesterday (2hrs 40) and have a mild blister on the right ankle 3cm across.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 1-02-18 13:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarpa, so get the needle out and the camera Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Scarpa, +1

Pre tape with Zinc Oxide tape, do not wait for a hotspot as it may not be convenient to take your boot off and you'll just work through it until the blister occurs. Where a sock creates friction against the skin it will now create it against the tape offering protection. Using 1000 Mile socks, which have a liner sown in, creates similar protection but these may be too thick under ski boots. Preparation is better than cure in the case of blisters so if not sure where the blisters may occur cover the complete foot with the tape. No need to take it off either, it will stay on for days, even during bathing. The tape also works well on top of an existing blister and if you want to kill the pain in it apply some iodine first. It will be painful for a few seconds but is a great get you home treatment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Basil, +2. Copious patches of semi-permanent zinc oxide tape applied in the usual hot spots before skiing/touring.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I played football some socks gave blisters. I used to pre-tape with insulating tape. However, I'm sure ZnO tape is the modern equivalent.

If you have blisters I recommend compeed (I think invented by my pal Dougie)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn’t like to be in your shoes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow I really didnt know blisters could be this serious! Thanks for sharing your story!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I just put a needle into my Compeed box Smile thanks @Weathercam.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always take compeeds but also had my boots modified.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Re: blisters. I get huge blisters on my legs every time I ski. They pop up (pardon the pun) where ever there's a seam, boot tongue, gel pad edges, anything. This trip I'm wearing thin sox only so hopefully that'll work. Afterwards I find colloidel silver dressings work very well although they're a bit pricey. Any tips would be gratefully received.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting article, for what it's worth I agree with your treatment but would say there is no general medical consensus on the aspiration of fluid from blisters. For a more in depth look at the subject this isn't too bad (and indeed also generally agrees with what you're doing)
http://www.woundsaustralia.com.au/journal/2101_04.pdf

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 31-01-18 17:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We have the parish walk over here on the Isle of Man, which is a 24 hour, 85 mile walk around the island, touching each of the parish churches along the way.

About 10% of starters finish the course, but most people drop out at or before Peel, as if you go on from there you need 24 hour support through the night.

We always stop at Peel which is 32.5 miles, and the cut off for Peel is 8.5 hours. I always used to get massive blisters way before the 20 mile point (at which point comes the Sloc - a big climb that really drains you), but I'd try to keep on going and my feet would be in ribbons by the time I got to Peel.

No matter what socks / shoes / compeeds I used, I would always get blisters, sometimes starting within the first 3 miles.

Until I read a report in a medical journal, it was some research that has was carried out on ultra marathon runners, I think it was just talking to them, and they found that the most effective solution appeared to be.... microporous tape, that paper tape used for bandages. It costs 49p for a roll in Boots.

I was sceptical but I tried it one year... and it just works. I think the paper surface just creates a friction free zone wherever you put it.

I've used it on a few walks / races and have not got a blister yet. Although to be fair when I've taken my shoes and socks off at the end of the race the paper is starting to fall apart, but that is after 32.5 miles. If I was going on past Peel I would probably stop and put more tape on.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 31-01-18 17:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
this is the report

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2016/04/stanford-trial-shows-paper-tape-can-help-prevent-foot-blisters.html
ski holidays
Where do you guys get tape, preferably ZnO2, but also Micropore, which actually sticks and stays on?! Used to have great stuff for heel taping but in the past many years I can't seem to buy it anywhere (UK): it just peels off and won't hold against heel friction. They've changed the recipie for the sticky stuff apparently ( must have, as I never used to get itchy rashes with plaster, now do all the time).
snow report
2 hr tour, 2 layers of rock tape.

That was three days ago and tonight I could only tour for one hour.

snow conditions
I got a blister from a hire boot, and luckily had Compeed plasters (I'd read as recommended on this forum) to wear over for the rest of the week. After that I tried 'pop socks' - a very thin sock which is just the foot part of a ladies stocking (also recommended on this forum) under my normal ski socks: the theory being that the pop sock is very close fitting, so any friction is eliminated. No issues with hire boots since, so I'd recommend trying them if you haven't already.

Now I have my own boots, I don't feel the need for the pop socks, but I'll carry the Compeeds on a holiday regardless (in a white feather way) and hope never to need them again.
ski holidays
Blisters occur when there is something rubbing against your skin. If your boots fit properly and you have got socks that do not have a seam pressing against you then you shouldn't get blisters. @Amunah's suggestion seems to be very helpful to me. Nobody wants blisters
ski holidays
@Rabbie, I have heels that seem to curve in slightly producing a pressure point on my inside heels even without much movement. Get me touring uphill for a couple of hours and I always blister in the same place, in different boots too.
snow report
The pop socks provide a slippery surface that the ski socks seem unable to get a 'purchase' on, so your actual skin underneath isn't getting rubbed by anything. Anyhoo, whatever the mechanics/physics, dirt cheap and worth a try. Wear a clean dry pair every day, mind - sweat will decrease the slipperiness and reduce their effectiveness.
latest report
@Amunah, I've used pop socks too, but found that a really tight compression ski sock and tape worked better.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've used pop socks too

+1 for pop socks - shiny foreign ones are best. And this is great: http://www.mercurochrome.fr/produit/sparadrap-ampoules/ but I've only seen it in France. Not sure if there's a UK equivalent.
snow conditions
I managed to tour again 3 days later, but kept it to an hour.
latest report
The OP may have a few more today Twisted Evil
snow report
Zinc oxide tape
snow report
@Scarpa, must try harder! Here's Mrs A's after a 6-day tour:

snow report
@altis, Ooooo, that's a good one Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This reminds me when I got blisters.. changed to big boots for boots to small and just got more blisters. Heres a good guide for preventing blisters http://shoewawa.com/2012/05/how_can_i_avoid_blisters.html

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 27-05-18 13:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I just got my touring boots blown out on the inner ankles, took two sessions to get it right, then used ultra thin Ezeefit neopreen heel protectors. Actually had no blisters on the last few tours Toofy Grin snowHead Toofy Grin snowHead Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy