Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need recommendations in France.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to start doing a yearly trip to France however unsure where to go and looking for recommendations.

Mid 20's couple (only I ski), She doesn't mind sitting around drinking hot chocolate and enjoying
the lovely views and short walks while I'm away having fun Smile

I've only been skiing twice however managed to get up to easy red slopes so any runs up to that would be great.
Due to having only been twice ski hire would be necessary.
Ideally cheaper would be better however I am aware skiing isn't a cheap hobby especially when you're British Mad

Thanks in advance for any recommendations Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out Montgenevre....it's part of the Milky Way, allowing you to ski across to Italy, if there is enough snow for the links to be open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Asfixiator, why France specifically? Italy often better VFM, better food, better hot chocolate, food, wine, etc.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 14-12-17 13:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I just thought France as I assume it would be easier to drive there if I felt like it instead of flying, however i'm not sure if a 12 hour drive is worth the saving on flights?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix is a good town for a non skier. At least, I think it is as I always ski Very Happy

Close to Geneva so easy to get to and plenty of things to do. Skiing is great also.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
@Asfixiator, why Frane specifically? Italy often better VFM, better food, better hot chocolate, food, wine, etc.

...and it just do happens that my suggestion can be done from Italy. My experience was of Mongenevre (which is inclined to get better snow) snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Both of my previous experiences have been in Austria and I loved it there. Soll was an amazing experience the snow was plentiful Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Old Fartbag wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Asfixiator, why Frane specifically? Italy often better VFM, better food, better hot chocolate, food, wine, etc.

...and it just do happens that my suggestion can be done from Italy. My experience was of Mongenevre (which is inclined to get better snow) snowHead

The OP's wife won't get to go to Italy, she will be stuck in Montgenevre.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Montgenevre to Claviere is an easy walk. You could meet for lunch. If the Other Half drives then the Claree Valley for walks and Oulx for the Wednesday market are easy to get to. Regular Train from Oulx to the Centre of Turin as well for shopping and chocolate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We aways tend to go to Morzine area. Easy to drive to, lots to do for non-skiers. Loads of accomodation to rent if doing it yourself. But if you do the numbers, if only two are going it's cheaper to fly and get a transfer bus from Geneva than paying for fuel, tolls and ferry/tunnel. I calculate about 2 tanks of fuel and about £70 tolls each way plus tunnel fee (£150 now?). Easyjet and transfer for two is cheaper if you book early. If you don't want to do it yourself check out the late deals on the web as I've seen some quite cheap ones out at the moment for January.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chamonix, or if you fancy Austria; Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It depends on what the non skier needs and feels is ok I think.

We took two non skiing to Ste Foy last year as they didn't really want much to do. Both said they had one of the best weeks away they've had, so if suitable regarding their time then only they can indicate if it meets expectations.

It's often given that the non skier wants to be loaded with alternatives of something to do, but not everyone's requirements.

What made this good for these visitors was that you are never far away as a skier, they can access first lift destination by pedestrian access of chairlift. This is a great area to meet for lunch, but then so is the village and because the area is compact it's no chore to get back to base for lunch.

Quite a few pool, fitness, general things to do but it's the compactness that makes it so good for mixed itineraries. Costs are reasonable with self catering accommodation, lift pass is also good as you're not paying for a huge area as beginner which you may not access. There is still plenty to ski though, with terrain that'll test even the most skilled as you advance.

It certainly doesn't match the big ski areas for pure numbers and scale, just has a very usable balance of things that make it so easy to work with.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Look at Serre Chevalier. You'll be fine with the skiing, there's plenty to go at and the string of villages are nice for a non-skier with a lovely baths in Monetier to the old town of Briancon at the other end of the valley. There's a good bus service up and down the valley so you can meet for lunch
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would not recommend Sainte Foy for the non skier. I was unable to ski for a few days there and found very little to do.

I would suggest La Clusaz, Montgenevre, Les Saisies or Les Arcs

La Clusaz - pleasant village and easy to get a busy to Annecy for the day - pretty old town and good shops. Hotel de Beauregard maybe..

Montgenevre - gondola up to a very nice restaurant on the chalvet side, proximity to Claviere for a change of scene, nice accommodation at Le Napoleon residence which has lovely pool and spa

Les Saisies - gentle skiing and has some pedestrian trails. The new apartments: village des armaillis look nice.

Les Arcs - quite a few lifts take pedestrians and there are pedestrian trails. Nice spas in the Arc 1950/Arc 2000 area and also a new swimming complex in Arc 1800. Possible to go down to Bourg St Maurice for a day. Hotel du golf in Arc 1800 was good when we went there a long time ago. Also look at arc 1950 and Arc 2000 for some higher end self catering options.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sainte Foy has really nice walking trails, pedestrian uplift to the mountain restaurants (best one requires a moderate walk) and spas in resort. Not much if shopping is your thing though and limited facilities in terms of swimming, other sports, etc. For walkers, going with a snowshoe guide also opens up a lot more options as guides can take walkers on all the lifts, not just the bottom one.
latest report
@stevomcd, I stayed in les fermes de sainte foy and was disappointed with it especially the pool. Some of the CGH residences in other resorts have better pools. The walking trails sound nice though. I really liked Le Marquis mountain restaurant when we were there.
snow report
Les Gets would be worth a look. Decent ski area and a lovely village. Could meet mid station for lunch rendezvous.
ski holidays
There are many ski resorts which you can access daily with transport or a car from a large and interesting base for a non skier.

Annecy
Grenada
Nice
Salzburg
Geneva
Sion
Zurich
Grenoble
Barcelona
Chambery
Bern
Turin
Bregenz
Bergamo
Merano
Lucerne
Feldkirch

The following also have direct skiing from town if this is a must.

Innsbruck
Briancon
Chur
snow report
Driving makes more sense if there is 3-5 people and you have your own gear. For two people in their mid-20's I'd be getting a late TO deal at the quietiest times of the season - most of Jan, late March. In your situ virtually anywhere would work.

Why doesn't the other half ski?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy