Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taxis around Megeve / Val d'Arly

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We'll be staying in Notre Dame de Bellecombe (Espace Diamant) in late January and will be using Ouibus to get most of the way from Geneva airport to resort. The bus only goes as far as Megeve (outbound, for our timings) or Praz-sur-Arly (return), however, so we'll need a taxi to get us the last few miles.

Can anyone offer advice on how easy it will be to find a taxi at the following times, whether we need to book in advance (and how long in advance), and possibly an approximate fare. And if anyone has any recommendations of specific companies...

Outbound: 6pm Saturday, Megeve to Notre Dame de Bellecombe 1150
Return: 2pm Saturday, Notre Dame de Bellecombe 1150 to Praz-sur-Arly

We've never used taxis in the French Alps before, so not exactly sure how widely available they are.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@denfinella, I'd definitely book a taxi, especially if you are travelling on a Saturday. Which part of N D de B are you staying in?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are buses that run between Megeve and Praz-sur-Arly that would get you a bit nearer your destination.

Try contacting the Praz tourist office, they have been very helpful to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies. @pam w, it's NDB 1150 (i.e. the old village part). Any taxi companies you'd recommend? Also - are you planning to start an Espace Diamant snow thread this year? Little Angel

@rjs, good idea, but... the times aren't so good - we get into Megeve at 1740, and the bus leaves for Praz-sur-Arly at 1735 (the next is an hour later). Good idea about the tourist office.

Megeve to NDB is 11.5 km - is about 50 euros a fair estimate for a single journey do you think? Or less, hopefully?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know any taxi firms in N D de B - I'd look on their tourist office website. I'd hope it'd be a bit less than 50 euros from Megeve to 1150 - negotiate for a two way trip. I will be out there for a couple of weeks over Christmas and New Year - will start a snow report, but am selling my apartment (sale should complete fingers crossed before the end of January) so it will be my swansong.

From 1150 there's only a drag up then - to access all but the Val d'Arly skiing - a slow two-way chair across to Mont Rond. Depending on how much your transfer costs will be, might be worth thinking about renting a car. Would give you faster access to various parts of the Espace Diamant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pam w, good luck with your apartment then! Hope the sale all goes smoothly.

Yes, am aware of the lift arrangements from 1150 (in fact I asked you about it in another thread). There are only 2 of us, so the transfers option saves quite a bit of money compared to hiring a car, and a bit less stressful too.

If we get tired of the slow chair to Mont Rond, there's a free bus which takes 8 minutes, so shouldn't be too much hassle. There's also one to Crest Voland.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The top (from the 1150 side) of that two-way chair is a bit scary as it kind of swings you out over the void, as you start down. It freaked me out even more after being stuck there one day for 45 minutes or so, when a helicopter was picking up somebody who appeared to have dropped out of the chair into the netting below!! If the snow is good, don't neglect the Val d'Arly skiing - which is usually v quiet. Some tough drags (le Seigneur is famous, with a v steep top, not for the faint hearted) and a very slow chair (Evettes) but lovely tree lined skiing. Like skiing used to be, in the olden days!

The Cret du Midi chair in Praz is great - fast, and at the top you have a choice of two great restaurants, one to the right, one to the left, as you get to the top. The one on the right is particularly nice, really old and characterful. And from there you can do the top of Praz sur Arly (Ban Rouge chair) and get quickly over to the best of the Notre Dame skiing. But snow is not very reliable down in the Arly Valley. In which case you're best getting straight up to the top of Notre Dame and over into the Douce Bowl and the new Bellasta chair (both in the Saisies domain), which serves some good terrain, including some easy between-pistes off piste.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, thanks v. much for all this info - will keep a note of this thread. It all sounds great, and with lots of variety between the different sectors - which is just what we like..

Hoping the good start to the season (well, the preview weekends) continues into the New Year!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.

looking pretty good this morning...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looking wonderful!

And Val d'Arly (not Les Saisies) have published their provisional lift / run openings for Saturday. Looks to me like every single lift is scheduled, and all but two pistes (both in Flumet). That must be pretty rare for Christmas week? Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Update: in fact 157/157 pistes and 80/80 lifts down to run!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow! That doesn't happen that often, @denfinella. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back on-topic, I've been quoted a return fare (2 people) of 70 euros, by a taxi company listed on the tourist office website. Does that sound reasonable?

I could search around more, but if it's in the right ballpark I'll stick with that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy