Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 2017/2018

Poster: A snowHead
As of today 178km open 40cm base in village 120cm on the hill and snow forecast all week, best opening to the season for years etc etc it's going to be strange skiing Serfaus with natural snow when I go out on Boxing Day wink

Who's out this season?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First time visitor in late January - any advice or tips for intermediates who like their beer and food much appreciated!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Going mid-Jan to Fiss. 6th or 7th time in the last 10 yrs or so. Charming village and strong ski area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@timmythedog, I go with the family so it tends to be a bit quieter for me Very Happy
If you enjoy your food up the hill the Seealm Hog is very nice at the mid station of the Alpkopfbahn. It does get busy so get there early, nice hearty local produce. The mid station is also the start point for the Schneisenfeiger (basically a toboggan run on rails) which is a good crack after lunch, the aim is to try and do it without braking, and obviously not pile into the person in front of you.
The Lawenspavillon is a bit more basic but at the bottom of nice long red/blue Lawens run. They only serve a few dishes, but the Leberkase with rösti and ei (basically a fry up) is an absolute winner if you are still hanging from a big night. If it's nice and you eat outside don't leave it too late as soon as the sun goes down it becomes absolutely Baltic!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arrived to the unusual site of Serfaus covered in snow today. Caught the early flight to Innsbruck and managed to get a couple of hours up on the hill this afternoon.

Snow coverage is excellent everywhere, yesterday apparently there was over 200km open including most of the ski routes. The wind picked up today and access to the Nordzeiten was closed and a couple of other areas. The pistes I skied were variable, icy in places - skied on a Skitroute (Powsernose) which was pretty decent.

It started snowing lightly earlier this evening hoping they keep the tap on all night but it does look like high winds at altitude. Forecast to be seriously cold over next couple of days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant day today, visibility not great but a nice dump of snow overnight which continued on and off and basically we skied powder all day. All the lifts were open. snowHead

It was my 12 year old lad's first powder day, even though he has skied quite a few times we've never had powder (especially in Serfaus this time of year wink )

I booked him an off piste lesson this afternoon and ended up gatecrashing it. He took to it like a duck to water. Very lucky with our Instructor Philipp (need to find out his surname). Top skier (achieved highest level Austrian qualification aged 18 and also a qualified mountain guide). Skied untracked snow all afternoon, mellow terrain off the Plansegg lift but no one around as we just did lap after lap - a perfect playground if you are learning to ski powder.

We are out first thing tomorrow which will looks like it could be a cracker. Hopefully we'll get up to Pezid and Masner. I spoke to someone at our hotel who was boarding up at Masner this afternoon and he said it was seriously deep with no one around, can't wait snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds fabulous. We're out from January 20 and have a beginner and two non skiers with us. Any advice on private lessons for our beginner gratefully received. Any information about lift access for mountain restaurants for the non-skiers most welcome. Enjoy the snow! Thanks!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@timmythedog, you really can’t go wrong with the ski school, I don’t think I’ve come across a better one. Obviously private lessons aren’t cheap and if they aren’t an option you’ll find the group sizes are small.

For non skiers there is a hikers lift pass it’s about EUR94 for 6 days. Basically it gets you up most of the gondolas from Serfaus and Fiss base stations so you can meet the skiers for lunch. Plenty of great walks for non skiers starting in the village, at See Alm and up at Komperdell.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have been to Serfaus for the past 2 seasons at half term and I only have good things to say about the ski school. Our then 5 year old progressed to the point where the were skiing top to bottom and our then almost 3yo was able to ski along the false flat following the snake between her legs and manageing the magic carpet on her own. She was also happy to stay all day by the wednesday and the hilight was having lunch with big sister in the ski school theamed restaurant. Best advise is to embrace the ski school and go with the flow - kids love it and language never an issue. Be sure to go to the medal presentation in the town hall at the end of the week as there is a great party atmosphere for the kids.

Non-skiers can get a long way up by taking two connected gondolas that join at the hub ‘mid mountain’ where the ski school starts. They can also walk to the kids ski area by taking some stairs. There is also a great restaurant by the lake at the mid-station of the left-most gondola.

This year we are going to FISS just for a change of hotel.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
@timmythedog, you really can’t go wrong with the ski school

We had no problems with the ski school either. My two boys loved the GS that they raced at the end of the week too. There was a photographer there and you could buy some professional pictures (MUCH better than mine!) at the ski hire/lockers at the bottom of the gondola in Serfaus. I think that it was only 6 Euro per picture last New Year.

It's a lovely part of the world.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hosed it down today all day although the the freezing level rose from around 500m to 2500m. Avalanche risk will be high tomorrow but there should still be some nice powder to be had on the lower gradient stuff.

Sadly skiing is over for me this trip as I tore my calf. Disappointed but happy to finally ski powder in Serfaus and learnt some nice easy accessible lines for next time the snow comes.

Shocked to hear some Brits arrived at our hotel tonight, don't know what that's all about but I hope they don't tell anyone else about this place Twisted Evil wink Laughing

Kids are going into ski school tomorrow as I can't ski with them - both in the Snowstars programme which is absolutely brilliant. As well as technique they cover different disciplines like freestyle (they have their own airbag), Slalom, Freeride, Avalanche awareness and training and they also get them out on snowbikes later in the week just to mix it up.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Guernseyfreerider, As someone who has managed to tear my left and right calf muscles (grade II) over the last three seasons I can only sympathize.

Somewhat luckily I did it on the last day of each holiday.

Upside..... I was back skiing 6 weeks after the first one and 5 weeks after the second. Times a healer. Keep up the stretches once it starts to mend.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GeorgeVII, Cheers, I’m so tempted to ski but I think I’m going to save it for next trip in 6 weeks.

Snowed about 20cm yesterday but freezing level rose 1000m in a matter of hours so the off piste was heavy by all accounts apart from the high north facing runs. I counted 23 slides (most man made) along the ridge lines from the top of plansegg so they were bombing the hell out of it.

My kids are both snow in group lessons in the Snowstars programme which is superb. My lad is in the top group and they basically ski everything at warp speed on an off piste and take no prisoners. His instructor too them in the Powder to the left of the top of the Scheidbahn and gave him the honour of going first which he was chuffed about and even let them drop some small rocks. Class size is 7.

My daughter is in a group of 12 and has someone who speaks English so she is happy, really enjoying it and making good progress.

Ski school v busy and they have been late getting off which isn’t great. Also some parents not happy with class sizes of 12 which I have to admit I thought max was 8.

Home runs where Ice rinks later afternoon so the usual carnage ensued watching everyone one come down.

Overcast today without about 5cm of new snow and sun breaking through. Virtually all the pistes and ski routes are open which is a great effort from the piste team.

Happy New Year
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it basically hosed it down all day here and someone forgot to turn off the tap. Took the kids up to ski school and the snow was deeeeeep and light - very jealous snowHead

Coverage everywhere is fantastic, sold wild weather over next few days but anyone coming out in January is in for a treat. Even the home runs today were covered in powder.

Beeng hanging out in the ski lounge at Komperdell the last few days, some people literally go up there and don’t even bother to ski — at least I had an excuse. They do a nice cup of tea for EUR6 and it even comes with its own timer so you can make the perfect brew wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Guernseyfreerider, Thanks for the report and hope injury is better. We will be there for half-term. We decided to stay in Fiss as a change from Serfaus and this continuing snow bodes well for the lower slopes which are more exposed to the sun than Serfaus.
snow conditions
Chatting to locals who were at the scene of the avalanche at Pezid early December. Didn’t hear about it till I got here but basically four skiers went skiers right off the piste, none of them with equipment unfortunately. When the avalanche hit, the rescue team were on the scene within 5 minutes. One skier was completely buried and they found him within 30 mins which was amazing but unfortunately it was too late.

Although I only skied a couple of days it was a pleasure to finally ski the off piste here but it is so easily accessible and that brings so many dangers. Plenty of excellent well qualified instructors around if you fancy going outside the ropes. Keep safe if you are coming out here and remember not to tell anyone else about it wink
ski holidays
Full day on my snowboard around Fiss and a couple of runs in Serfaus. Glorious sunshine all day. Temps in the -2-6 range all day...Not sure when was the last snowfall but I was positively surprised by what was available/enjoyable, especially offpiste.
On piste: the whole area seems open and they are not lacking snow (though they are still making snow)...Typical January snow/day overall with some of the pistes quite icy (lower parts of home runs), but higher up, snow is soft with good grip. The back side of Fiss (north facing) is nearly all day in the shade at this time of the year, so mix of good snow/icy patches, especially toward almbahn.

Offpiste: good surprise of how much is untouched, even the obvious/accesible stuff. I was 1st track in quite a few places, incl beween pistes, the trees on the back side of Fiss, etc. There were just 4/5 tracks on the skyline ski route and I was on my own! Powder nose one as well.
I guess SFL is mainly a family oriented resort so not as many fans of off piste as in Arlberg or Zillertal...good for me as next week is the start of low season for few weeks!

Overall the first 2/3 of offpiste runs is good, sometimes very good, powdery (sometimes a good 15-20cm), and the bottom third is crunchy/hard/not fun.

Have not ventured as far as Pezid/Masner so I cant comment on those.
snow conditions
Started snowing lightly this AM around 8 and it kept going all day long. Snowfall got stronger as the day progresses. I reckon a nice 20cm at 2000m. Highests lifts were closed all day (pezid, masner, etc.) and from 2pm, scheibahn, lazid but also the top part of spieljoch.
Enough lifts were open to keep us entertained!
latest report
Addendum: my ski mates are telling me it was more like a 20-30cm snowfall today. Since 7pm tonight though, it seems to have stopped (not for too long I’d hope).
snow report
No shortage then!
We're heading out Saturday so hope roads will be ok! If you have any tips for bars / restaurants please do share ! Safe travels
snow conditions
RE: restaurants. We have some non-skiers in our group so we always come back to Fiss base station for lunch. The two options are equally good. Quite good but nothing to die for. The sports cafe (Kromer) has a TV with ski racing on, with all the passionate Austrian cheering for Marcel Hirscher and al! The bigger place (Hexen something) is nice too. They have renewed their menu since last time I was there (3yrs ago), with some nice Swiss specialities (rösti).
snow report
Thank you. We'll check them out - we have some non-skiers with us too!
ski holidays
Essentially, its been snowing non-stop since yesterday 8am. So today was DEEP! Wind closed for the whole day the back side of Fiss, and every lifts from Lazid/Scheidbahn in Serfaus. Those have beenclosed for 2 days now so when they open, it will be amazing. What was open today was great snow wise if you dont mind wind and challenging visibility!
ski holidays
Another glorious powder day. Knee height at least. A little bit more was open today, especially in the afternoon. Back side of Fiss was partially open but snow was so-so (some parts wind affected). Lazid and Scheidbahn were open but visibility was still quite poor so I didn’t venture that high. The sun came out for 30mn or so in the afternoon, but I think more snow is expected in coming days. Leaving tomorrow so all the powder left wont be for me! Maybe my 5 or 6th time coming for a week in January at SFL and definitely my best trip snow-wise. Managed 7000-9000m of descent every day of great stuff.

Ps: tried the restaurant near the Koenigsleitebahn today. Quite good I must say
snow conditions
Thanks for all the info - can't wait for our first visit!
ski holidays
Snowing hard this morning.
snow conditions
Nice to hear!
Safe travels wherever you are headed!
latest report
Morning all. Any recommendations for accommodation in either Fiss or Serfaus? Group of between six and eight and would want to stay three nights. Thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy